Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

But...but...but Jeopardy! LOVES Margaret Mitchell and GWTW. As soon as I saw the category was [Women] authors, I pre-answered Margaret Mitchell or Jane Austin. It had to be one of the two.

I have a first edition GWTW, my mother's hardcover, which mumble-mumble years ago I tried to hide inside my Dick & Jane reader. Miss Sage, my third grade teacher, confiscated the book and my mom had to come to school to pick it up...that was my punishment :-)

Miss Sage told my mom the book was too old for me. Mom smiled and nicely said I could read any book on her bookshelf.

'Tis one of the reasons I became a writer (my first published book is dedicated to my mom).

• Love 8

I don't get how anybody familiar with literature could have gotten that wrong.

Because it's not literature?  Living in metro Atlanta, Mitchell's an icon around here, adoringly referred to as "Peggy."  I wonder if a contestant had put Peggy Mitchell, would they have accepted it.  Personally, I think the book & the movie are crap...but I still got FJ, because, y'know..."WOMEN" Authors.

• Love 6

1912--Titanic. 1915--Lusitania (yes, I know I probably misspelled it). 1929--Stock Market crash. 1937--Hindenberg. 1986--Chernobyl. 1989--Berlin Wall fell. There are some things that, once you know the year, it's obvious what the answer is. I add 2005--Katrina to that list. That one on the end should be ashamed to answer "Detroit" (city that fell of the list of populous cities in 2005)!!!

• Love 8

It took me a second to do the math, because math is not my strong suit (and yes, it's embarrassing to admit it took a second to subtract 10 from 2015), but once I figured out 2005, FJ was an instaget.  Mary should be more embarrassed about her answer than I am about my lack of math skills.

I'm a little mad David won, primarily because he kept starting with the highest dollar clue.  But, since he was the only one to get both FJs correct, I guess he deserved it more.

I'm astonished that no one knew Dustin Hoffman!

• Love 7

David for the win!  Although he did annoy me starting with the higher value clues.  I'm glad Nan got 2nd place and that irritating Mary came in third.

The only TS I got was Dustin Hoffman.

At first I said Detroit for FJ, too, then thought "Oh, Katrina!" to come up with the correct answer.

• Love 7

Missed tonight's episode due to power outage caused by thunderstorms. Had set the DVR because we were out but of course it didn't work due to the power failure. Am soooooo pissed!

But thanks to you guys I know the outcome. Glad to hear David won.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I could not remember Dustin Hoffman's name. ARGH! 

I also said Detroit. I didn't remember Katrina.

I remembered Dustin Hoffman and Raymond Babbitt's insistence on watching Jeopardy! every night.

Congrats to David, but I was saddened by something he mentioned in his interview. Susan Keefe, the inspiring professor from his seminary days, was a colleague of mine in the 1980's. I was heartbroken to learn that she had passed away.

• Love 4

Congrats to David, even if he did annoy me with starting at the bottom of the categories. 

Only TS I got was Dustin Hoffman, and I was surprised it was a TS. 

I blind guessed FJ. It's the 3rd time this week that I blind guessed or close to it (guessed Michaelangelo instead of The David earlier in the week). 

4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Congrats to David, but I was saddened by something he mentioned in his interview. Susan Keefe, the inspiring professor from his seminary days, was a colleague of mine in the 1980's. I was heartbroken to learn that she had passed away.

I'm sorry for the loss of your colleague. Small world. 

• Love 3

I didn't see much of this tourney, including Thursday's game, but I thought last night's game was quite good. I got misty-eyed when David won, and I'm not sure why. He just seemed very genuine (not that the others didn't, mind you). Congrats to him!

• Love 5

Last night's game was very good, almost made up for some of the really crappy games.

Mr.Trey came up with New Orleans right away and I thought it was probably right.

The two women really did seem pleased for David.

• Love 3

It was a pretty good game, though Nan lost me a bit early on - she seemed to Cindy Brady during much of the first half of the game (and I was still holding FJ from the day before against her!). Then, for an English teacher who is talked about broadening the canon to include more AA authors (and others), she sure didn't seem to know the Maya Angelou or Langston Hughes answers - at any rate, it didn't look like she was trying to buzz in. Maybe I'm wrong and she did... And I liked Mary well enough at first but she never let up on the archness. It got really tiresome. So all in all, I was happy for David to win. He did play really well and didn't have any dumb-ass answers!

• Love 2

My local news station visited David at his school on Friday and showed the reveal when they realized that he is the tournament champion. The crowd went nuts. When they interviewed David, he was so emotional and talked about now having payments for his daughter's four years of college covered! When asked if it was hard to keep his victory a secret, he said no. He said that on a teacher's salary, he was determined to not let the cat out of the bag. It was so cute and touching. 

• Love 10

It's not uncommon for there to be entire categories where I don't stand a chance, but last night there were several! As a Canadian non-sports fan, state nicknames and Dodgers were completely beyond me (except Jackie Robinson - thanks Heritage Minutes!).

I thought Poets would be a bad category for me, but I surprised myself. I was quite tickled that I got Langston Hughes. I didn't know anything in the clue, but guessed him thinking that "weary" was a word he might use. 

20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm astonished that no one knew Dustin Hoffman!

Same here! That seemed like such an easy one.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, OneWouldHope said:

It has always puzzled me why Canada doesn't have their own version? 

There used to be a French Canadian version, but it didn't last long.

Not sure if an English Canadian version would do any better. I'd love to have one, though. I wonder if it would be a problem to obtain the rights to have an English Canadian version due to possible infringing on viewership of the American show.

• Love 2
On 5/19/2017 at 9:49 PM, mojoween said:

Argh I forgot to set the DVR.  I am sad Nan did not win but I'm glad David did instead of Mary.  I'm still annoyed with Mary's interview from yesterday.

what was her interview, i don't remember? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, secnarf said:

There used to be a French Canadian version, but it didn't last long.

Not sure if an English Canadian version would do any better. I'd love to have one, though. I wonder if it would be a problem to obtain the rights to have an English Canadian version due to possible infringing on viewership of the American show.

Was Alex the host? Then he could've laid on his French accent to his heart's desire! :-)

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, Spunkygal said:

My local news station visited David at his school on Friday and showed the reveal when they realized that he is the tournament champion. The crowd went nuts. When they interviewed David, he was so emotional and talked about now having payments for his daughter's four years of college covered! When asked if it was hard to keep his victory a secret, he said no. He said that on a teacher's salary, he was determined to not let the cat out of the bag. It was so cute and touching. 

Sadly I think his winnings would barely cover 4 years of college many places. 

• Love 2
On 5/20/2017 at 3:37 PM, Spunkygal said:

Thanks for sharing! I Googled and watched the segment. Truly heartwarming

• Love 1

FJ: Like the new champ, I thought of India, but switched to Pakistan when I couldn't think of any Indian cities that would correspond.

Big pay day for the cell biologist!

• Love 3

Yay for the cell biologist!  I waffled between India and Pakistan, and unfortunately ended up on India.  Boo, hiss.

Not sorry to see the back of the former champ -- I'd forgotten how much he irritated me, what with the starting in the middles of categories.

And apparently I got accustomed to the easier clues for the Teachers' Tournament, because there were very few TS that I got -- I can only think of Thunder Bay and ragweed.  Or perhaps there weren't many TS.

• Love 2
(edited)

Who won? They cut away for a report on the Manchester explosion right before they said the FJ answer.  

Which is weird time to interrupt considering the incident happened over an hour before. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 3

The woman on the end won.  The former champ bet everything but a dollar and missed FJ.  Middle guy got it right, but didn't have enough going into final to beat the woman, whose name escapes me.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The woman on the end won.  

Her name is Tanya.

ETA: They really are pushing their new app -- first after that Cairo clue, and then it sponsored the final shot of the 3 podiums.

And of course, AT with the British accent when announcing the FJ category.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Who won? They cut away for a report on the Manchester explosion right before they said the FJ answer.  

Which is weird time to interrupt considering the incident happened over an hour before. 

Can't cut into DWTS now, can they? They made a calculated decision to screw Jeopardy! viewers. Once all the pre-FJ commercials had aired, of course. I hate ABC News with a passion. This is just the latest in a long line of FUs to Jeopardy! fans going back years.

• Love 5

Congrats to Tanya.  She sure does seem happy to be there.  I thought it was weird that Alex kept referring to things from Justin's past after correct answers.

I got South Bank and ragweed.

I guessed India for FJ.  Boo hiss.

3 minutes ago, HavartiHead42 said:

Hate the new champ. The stupid giraffe thing set my teeth on edge. Now my husband is mocking me for coming here to find support for my Jeopardy misanthropy. 

Awww.  I liked the giraffe thing.  I have a friend and an aunt who collect them.  At least she didn't carry that beat up old giraffe in a holster like that crazy drumsticks woman.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Tanya.  She sure does seem happy to be there.  I thought it was weird that Alex kept referring to things from Justin's past after correct answers.

I got South Bank and ragweed.

I guessed India for FJ.  Boo hiss.

I liked Tanya too. It was a dream come true for her to utter the phrase she'd promised her husband:"Let's make it a true Daily Double." 

I got ragweed mainly because I have an allergy to it. Couldn't remember South Bank. 

As for FJ, I was torn between India and Pakistan until I realized it sounded like Karachi. 

• Love 2

I just love those Bold & the Beautiful clues! So much better than most of their video clue treatments, IMO.

For TS I got Tosca, Die Hard and Karen O. I didn't think of "Karachi" but I figured "Caranjee" didn't sound anything like Mumbai or Delhi, so I went with Pakistan. Love starting the week with a FJ win! Not sure about how long I can endure our new champ Giggles McGee tho...

• Love 2

Huge payday for Tanya - WTG!

The only TS I got was Tosca, and I said India for FJ, but knew it was probably not right. 

My takeaways from The Bold & The Beautiful category (haven't watched regularly in almost a decade):  Alley Mills does not age. She looks the same as she did on The Wonder Years; So, they re-cast the role of Ridge; wonder if this one can act; Don Diamont is still hot.

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

At least she didn't carry that beat up old giraffe in a holster like that crazy drumsticks woman.

Thanks be to God for small favors! I would also love to visit Giraffe Manor in Kenya. 

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I would also love to visit Giraffe Manor in Kenya. 

Me too! This has been on my bucket list for many, many years since I saw a piece on it titled "Tall Blondes" which was shown on either PBS or 60 Minutes. (I don't watch the contestant interviews so apologies if the contestant referenced this news piece.)

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2

Can't cut into DWTS now, can they? They made a calculated decision to screw Jeopardy! viewers. Once all the pre-FJ commercials had aired, of course. I hate ABC News with a passion. This is just the latest in a long line of FUs to Jeopardy! fans going back years.

To be fair, J! is syndicated. ABC News probably has no idea what's on your local ABC affiliate when they break in with news. Our J! station is an NBC affiliate and I never got to see ANY of J! last night, just a grim Lester Holt. I switched over to their sister station that will pick up J! when the regular station's contract with NBC has pre-empted it, but apparently this happened so quickly, they didn't have time to yank Andy Griffith & put Jeopardy! on instead. I ended up watching an old Richard Dawson Family Feud on Buzzr - which tells you how boring the book I'm trying to read is. It may go back to the library only partially read.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

To be fair, J! is syndicated. ABC News probably has no idea what's on your local ABC affiliate when they break in with news. Our J! station is an NBC affiliate and I never got to see ANY of J! last night, just a grim Lester Holt. I switched over to their sister station that will pick up J! when the regular station's contract with NBC has pre-empted it, but apparently this happened so quickly, they didn't have time to yank Andy Griffith & put Jeopardy! on instead. I ended up watching an old Richard Dawson Family Feud on Buzzr - which tells you how boring the book I'm trying to read is. It may go back to the library only partially read.

My ABC affiliate cut in right before FJ. It ticked me off because the news comes on right after Jeopardy anyway. They interrupt Jeopardy a lot where I live, and it's always for something that could've waited.

As for the show, I didn't care for the new champ, so I guess it's better that I didn't see her win. She was getting on my nerves. 

• Love 3

Presidents Obama & now Trump, always seem(ed) to feel the need to give press conferences between 3:00-3:30 CT, which is when J! airs where I live. Usually by the time we settle down to watch our recording, whatever the press conference was about is old news. 

13 minutes ago, teebax said:

As for the show, I didn't care for the new champ, so I guess it's better that I didn't see her win. She was getting on my nerves. 

She's a little too giggly & excitable, but hopefully she will calm down if she sticks around. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I liked Tanya too. It was a dream come true for her to utter the phrase she'd promised her husband:"Let's make it a true Daily Double." 

I got ragweed mainly because I have an allergy to it. Couldn't remember South Bank. 

As for FJ, I was torn between India and Pakistan until I realized it sounded like Karachi. 

Her promise was what had me pulling for her. It was sweet. The mister got the ragweed for the same reason. As for Karachi - I did not at all connect the "original" name to it - I went into deductive mode. It sounded Indian, but I knew it wasn't the biggest city in India, or I'd have parsed the sound. I picked Pakistan solely because it was once a part of India.

9 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I just love those Bold & the Beautiful clues! So much better than most of their video clue treatments, IMO.

Mileage varies - I hated those clues. They just take so stinking long. Unless it's the clue crew, I tend to dislike them.

• Love 2

PSA:  For those aspiring contestants, and those who have never seen it, TCM is showing Gone With the Wind tonight (Tuesday) at 7pm CST.

Tanya needs to use her inside voice.

• Love 2