Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Seth's wins are impressive.  I hope he sticks around - starts at the top, no weird mannerisms and isn't a smug douche.  Elena's buzzer flailing and smirk bugged me, plus I couldn't believe she didn't know the abbreviation for fracture, being a doctor.  Charlie was just meh.

I got Hilo.  In fact, I was screaming it at the TV.

I guessed Madagascar for FJ.  It's not on the continent but was in the correct neck of the woods.  I really need to brush up on Africa.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 8

My sister was screaming 'Hilo!' at the TV too. She was calling them all stupid. She's gets a little boisterous when she's been drinking.

I can't remember what TSs I got. I think I got a couple. 

I like Seth. He's so understated, but his knowledge base impresses me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Seth's wins are impressive.  I hope he sticks around - starts at the top, no weird mannerisms and isn't a smug douche.  Elena's buzzer flailing and smirk bugged me, plus I couldn't believe she didn't know the abbreviation for fracture, being a doctor. 

I'm not a doctor, but I do work in the medical field, and I didn't get fracture either. Although it seemed obvious after the fact, the lack of context and it being in all capital letters, as well as it being an uncommon abbreviation (# is used more often for fracture, at least where I practice - for example you would write "hip # 2009" in the patient history) - these were all reasons why I didn't come up with the answer in time.

• Love 3

Re FJ: I didn't have a clue (heh). Mr. Author said Madagascar, then said, "Well, I was close." I got a lot of stuff but didn't write anything down. One thing bugged me. Seth said he dressed as a Christmas elf for a *hotel* and he tucked kids in and read them a story and gave them a gingerbread cookie. I said hoo-fucking-ray for Seth. Alex said, "Good for you" (or something like that). I think it would have been good-whatever if Seth, as an elf, had given homeless kids a hot meal...AND a gingerbread cookie.

• Love 1

I had absolutely no idea on FJ. I couldn't even think of any named bodies of water - bays or inlets or whatever - on the coast of Africa.

I am another one who really needs to brush up on African geography.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Re FJ: I didn't have a clue (heh). Mr. Author said Madagascar, then said, "Well, I was close." I got a lot of stuff but didn't write anything down. One thing bugged me. Seth said he dressed as a Christmas elf for a *hotel* and he tucked kids in and read them a story and gave them a gingerbread cookie. I said hoo-fucking-ray for Seth. Alex said, "Good for you" (or something like that). I think it would have been good-whatever if Seth, as an elf, had given homeless kids a hot meal...AND a gingerbread cookie.

When Seth told the story about driving his tricycle into the family pool, I figured he did not come from a poor family.  I'm still impressed with how much he knows about a variety of subjects.  And he starts at the top.  I think he is officially in the next TOC now.  I'm never sure about this.  Is it 5 wins that puts you there, or breaking $100,000?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I think he is officially in the next TOC now.  I'm never sure about this.  Is it 5 wins that puts you there, or breaking $100,000?

Yes, five wins puts him in the ToC.  Although his high dollar winnings probably already had him in it even if he had won only four games.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Ooooh. I missed that this was done in a hotel. I thought the elves were sent to houses where they tucked the kids in. I thought that was weird.

It's still weird IMO.

I got The Tell-Tell Heart triple-stumper from a few days ago. I'm eager to see the clue show up on the archive, because I can't remember what it said!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, dcalley said:

I got The Tell-Tell Heart triple-stumper from a few days ago. I'm eager to see the clue show up on the archive, because I can't remember what it said!

You had to identify the story from its opening line: "True! --nervous --very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad?"

• Love 4
On 9/23/2016 at 8:04 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Didn't AT say a couple of episodes that the musk ox was one of his favorite animals ?

He says that every time musk ox is a clue--which is really a lot considering how rarely they come up in other contexts.

• Love 3
On 9/22/2016 at 5:21 PM, M. Darcy said:

If it's Egypt, the answer is always AIDA. 

I FINALLY got this absorbed into my memory. I got the answer and was as proud as if I'd truly known something about Aida - rather than knowing it from missing dozens of Jeopardy questions over the years.

On 9/23/2016 at 10:48 PM, Mystery Author said:

One thing bugged me. Seth said he dressed as a Christmas elf for a *hotel* and he tucked kids in and read them a story and gave them a gingerbread cookie. I said hoo-fucking-ray for Seth. Alex said, "Good for you" (or something like that). I think it would have been good-whatever if Seth, as an elf, had given homeless kids a hot meal...AND a gingerbread cookie.

I missed everything except that he was a Christmas elf (which I could totally picture him as) - but reading a bed time story and tucking kids into bed. Boy that sounds very strange. Not a service I'd ever choose as a parent, though I assume the parents were present. Just kind of creepy.

• Love 3

I finally got to see Friday's show.  Apparently, my local station thinks the best option for Jeopardy! when there's Thursday football is to show Thursday's game on Friday during the regular time, and show Friday's game at the incredibly convenient time of 11:35 pm on Saturday.  I can think of better ways, but it is what it is, I suppose.

I am glad Elena didn't win Friday.  Between her swaying, leaning, buzzer-flailing and starting in the middle of the damn category, I just couldn't with her.  Gutsy move with the late-in-the-game DD, and nice that it paid off, but still.  I'm good with Seth continuing his streak.

Count me among the rest of you shouting HILO! at the TV!  I couldn't believe Seth couldn't come up with it after Charlie's guess of Oahu (that's an island, Charlie, not a city) and Elena's of Kona.  I also got Pretzels, SAS, fracture and The Jerk -- and was disappointed that no one knew The Jerk.  For years after that movie came out, back when we still got phone books, I'd run into the house shouting, "The new phone book's here!  I'm somebody!"  Incredibly silly but funny movie.

I was completely clueless for FJ.

(But I did get The Tell-Tale-Heart from the other day -- in high school, as a project for English class, a friend and I performed it as a radio show, using the teacher's desk as a radio.  It was great.)

• Love 5

I found FJ to be pretty easy.

I found the clue to be confusingly worded, but unfortunately, I wouldn't have gotten FJ even if it had been more straightforward because my knowledge of sub-Saharan African geography is terribly rusty.

On ‎09‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

Make that 3 of us screaming Hilo :-)  I also got SAS but missed FJ; I knew it was wrong but guessed Zambia.

I said Kona - Hilo seems obvious in hindsight.  I did get SAS though.

• Love 2

I was very sad that none of them got The Jerk.  I love that movie.  I was also deeply depressed on Thursday when no one knew the opening credits for The Wild, Wild West.

I will confess to answering "Gotterdammerung" instead of "Ragnarok" on Thursday.  Damn you, Richard Wagner!  And I am deeply, deeply ashamed of not getting 'launch' for the Captain Bligh clue on Friday, especially since I've read about the Bounty and about Bligh's amazing feat of seamanship.  But at least I knew there was a film industry in Romania earlier in the week (thanks to a Scottish actor of whom I'm rather enamored and who has made at least two films with a prominent Romanian director).

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I started rooting against Dennis when he told that "funny" story about convincing hypochondriacs they're sick and getting them to call the doctor in a panic.

Yeah, what a kooky, fun guy he is.  Go jump off a cliff, Dennis.  Save some hypochondriac the trouble of pushing you off.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

For some reason I thought FJ was asking for a country.

I started rooting against Dennis when he told that "funny" story about convincing hypochondriacs they're sick and getting them to call the doctor in a panic.

My boyfriend and I thought the same thing! 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Cannot get over that answer of the B-52s instead of Band Aid. It gives me pain to think anyone could mistake the incomparable B-52s for a gathering of random singers. 

Well, the random singers were okay, but they are not the B-52s.  She didn't really seem to know who the B-52s were.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I spat out Ikea before AT finished reading the clue.   I don't know how Jocelyn didn't get FJ.

I feel pretty embarrassed at not getting that one.  I was thinking paper products and said Kimberly-Clark even though I was pretty sure that was wrong.

41 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Cannot get over that answer of the B-52s instead of Band Aid. It gives me pain to think anyone could mistake the incomparable B-52s for a gathering of random singers. 

Some of those 'random singers' were (and still are) a pretty big deal.  Still not the B-52s though.

• Love 4

Can't believe I'm admitting this, but...I said Sweden for FJ.  Somehow misread 'company' as 'country', knew they were talking about Ikea...and there you go.  I was so sure of myself that I thought the contestants had made the same mistake the other way when they revealed the answers.

Oh well, that's what I get for always forwarding through Alex's reading of the clue.

• Love 3

Mind games with the wagering in FJ today

I know I'm in a minority, but I would like J! to return to the old policy of allowing each player a maximum of 5 wins.  Seth has established himself as a great player and he will be a favorite in the next TOC, but i crave variety.  New people, all the time.

• Love 4

I was completely clueless on FJ, too.  Even after Alex said Coldplay, I had no idea. 

So glad Bing! didn't win.  He annoyed me from the start with the exclamation point, and ramped the annoyance up to 11 when he started in the middles of the categories.  At least Roller Derby Girl started at the tops.

TS I remember that I got were Pisces, ascorbic acid, arboricide and glory.

• Love 3

So glad I got Vaduz - I've spent a long time trying to memorize all the capitals of the world, but I have a hard time coming up with them on the spot, since I memorized them in a specific order.

I had no idea for FJ.

• Love 3

All I could come up with for FJ was "That guy!  He's always in crossword puzzles!"  Couldn't for the life of me come up with his name.

However, I did get Hirohito, Happy Days, ballooning, and trap door spider.  I know far too much about creatures I'm terrified of!  I actually learned about spiders ballooning from "Charlotte's Web".

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I got Final Jeopardy easily, trying to recall the pronounciation was the hard part.

The pronunciation isn't hard; it's the spelling that would have had me nervous.  Fortunately the show does not penalize for spelling, so as long as you're remotely close, you're in.

• Love 2

Congrats to Seth again.  So far, no one's come along I'd like to replace him.  Although I was disappointed to learn his mother is a fan of Buzzy.

I got Hirohito, skiing, Happy Days and trap door spider.

FJ was an instaget.  I've always liked his name.  It sounds musical.

• Love 4
On 9/27/2016 at 8:16 PM, opus said:

The best I could do on FJ was "What is that Coldplay song?"

Is it wrong that all I could think of was "Bad Self Portraits"?!  And yes, I know that's more recent than 2008, and Lake Street Dive are American.

But I still feel the need to apologize to the Fab Ms Kahlo!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Seth again.  So far, no one's come along I'd like to replace him.  Although I was disappointed to learn his mother is a fan of Buzzy.

What if I said I was Seth's mother?  Wouldn't you feel bad?  No?  Okay, I'm not.  But I could be.

I keep hoping that someone here will tell me who Seth looks like.  It's driving me crazy, because I know it's someone, but for the life of me I can't think who.

I got the Tabard Inn.  And my parents said majoring in English was useless.

• Love 6