Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

And Amy was irritating as hell, to boot.

I didn't think she was too bad - she didn't do well, but she certainly was enthusiastic about it!  And I loved it when she said that she always wanted to say "Let's make it a true daily double."

1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

I didn't think she was too bad - she didn't do well, but she certainly was enthusiastic about it!  And I loved it when she said that she always wanted to say "Let's make it a true daily double."

Yeah for me it was Alex who made Amy annoying because he kept commenting on the $1,600 clues and it was only natural for her to respond.

• Love 1

I wasn't paying attention thruout the show, but I know there were several questions I knew but just couldn't recall the answer for. Oh well. Par for the course. I did get FJ. 

Happy that Seth keeps winning.

• Love 1

This one is from a while ago but I haven't been here this season.  The time FJ was Mozambique I totally got it because my dad made up a really dumb song when I was in grade school called, "going fishing in Mozambique" and he would sing it all the time.  All of the lyrics?  "Going Fishing in Mozambique" And in an effort to get him to stop singing I read all about Mozambique.  I was a little, little kid and I'd never heard of Mozambique and I think my biggest hope was that it was a place where there was no fishing (yeah, I don't know if places like that exist) and I remember being really, really, really put out when my world book encyclopedia search showed me that not only was Mozambique coastal but that it had this really famous river and it had totally amazingly great fishing.  

Oh well, at least it helped me seem impressive on my couch during Jeopardy.  And I got that particular earwig out of my ear after about a week and a half.  Gah, I hope I haven't put it back telling that story. 

Nike was an instaget for me because of winged victory.   Daedalus was um... was the dad Icarus or Daedalus... Icarus flew too close to the sun, Dad wouldn't have done that... okay Daedalus.     And I totally got Palm Sunday despite never having really ever been to church.  So my mom (who grew up in the church) looked over at me and said, "How did you know that?"  With the heavy implication that a philistine line me shouldn't know such things.   Catholic college roommate for the win!

• Love 3

From a ways back, there was a TS FJ for which the answer was "Who is Nellie Bly?" I was really shocked that no one knew who she was, and refreshed my memory of her from my childhood, when she had been one of my heroines. As a result, when I got my new cat a few weeks ago, and I saw how curious she was and how she didn't hide at all when I brought her home but she explored the entire apartment, I immediately decided to name her Nellie.

Thank you, Jeopardy!

• Love 6

I am so embarrassed not to have gotten the Krays.  I've read about them, watch stuff about them, and was in London when Ronnie died in 1995 and when their older brother Charlie died in 2000.  Both funerals received heavy tv coverage, like Princess Di level coverage almost.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I am so embarrassed not to have gotten the Krays.  I've read about them, watch stuff about them, and was in London when Ronnie died in 1995 and when their older brother Charlie died in 2000.  Both funerals received heavy tv coverage, like Princess Di level coverage almost.

I got the Krays (I liked to call the twins "Kray Kray"). There were quite a few that nobody got, even Seth, that I thought were quite easy. (It is easy to say from my couch though.)

• Love 2

I missed Friday's game, but upon checking the archive, I see that I would've done what I always do and answered Sinclair Lewis instead of Upton Sinclair.  Otherwise, I mostly would've done well, and I would've gotten FJ.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

There were quite a few that nobody got, even Seth, that I thought were quite easy. (It is easy to say from my couch though.)

Yeah, I was seriously wondering if Seth was tired (I know the shooting schedule is pretty intense). I feel like a half-decent player could have knocked him off last night.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Thank God Seth won again.  I will never warm to a player who doesn't start at the tops of the categories.

Lots of TS today!  Ones I remember getting were rugelach, Havarti, Philip Marlowe, Portsmouth, dugong, and elephants (and really?  with proboscis in the clue she couldn't come up with an animal with a prominent nose?).

FJ was an instaget for me.

I swear they've had that clue before and had just as stupid an answer.

• Love 2

I am so embarrassed not to have gotten the Krays

The joys of watching way too many British tv shows - they are obsessed with the Krays :-) (Dimsdale!!)  I was wondering though if they would require their names as opposed to just the Krays.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I swear they've had that clue before and had just as stupid an answer.

I was a contestant in 1998 and I saw a variation on the final Jeopardy, that I got wrong, about a year ago in the regular game. So it's not a surprise that stuff gets recycled eventually.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I missed Friday's game, but upon checking the archive, I see that I would've done what I always do and answered Sinclair Lewis instead of Upton Sinclair. 

I think I just said "Sinclair...?" I don't know which way I would have gone because it was answered pretty fast. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I missed Friday's game, but upon checking the archive, I see that I would've done what I always do and answered Sinclair Lewis instead of Upton Sinclair.  Otherwise, I mostly would've done well, and I would've gotten FJ.

Try this: The Jungle has a U in it, so it's Upton Sinclair.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I just don't know about cost of living allowance. I've only ever heard/seen "adjustment." Happy for Seth, again.

I felt for the guy in that moment, because it was almost verbatim what I said on my couch. "Cost of living....AAAAAUGH!"

• Love 5

Yay, Seth!  I felt sorry for Joe.

I've never watched one second of All My Children and I got Erica Kane as well as A Beautiful Mind (missed DD) and nexus.

I came up with FJ at the last second and don't know if I could have written it down in time.  I don't know why it took so long.  I haven't even been drinking.  ;-)

• Love 1

It seems way more likely written down, but I don't think Borgia rhymes with Georgia!

And I had the same thought about Christianity being the FJ category on Rosh Hashanah yesterday. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It seems way more likely written down, but I don't think Borgia rhymes with Georgia!

I've never heard the word said aloud and I would say it like Georgia if I were reading it.  How is it pronounced?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I say Borgia with more of a "zh" in the last syllable,  Georgia with more of a j sound.

I do too, mostly because that's how they said it on the commercials I used to see all the time for "The Borgias",  but that's not the correct Italian pronunciation of it.

• Love 1

Poor Joe.  I would have been okay with a Ben win, but I'm glad Seth won again. 

Add me to the list of folks who can't believe Erica Kane was a TS!  I only watched Guiding Light back in the day and I still knew who she was.  I also got refraction, wavelength, thermal and sun dogs. 

Bradbury wrote some incredible stories and books, and I've read most of them, so FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 1

And Amy was irritating as hell, to boot.

Seriously. I wanted to slap her through my TV. The $1600 clues moment was cute but Alex egging her on throughout the show was just ugh. I liked George though.

Forgot to post yesterday but I got the 3x A Lady TS and the Colossus of Rhodes DD. FJ was an instaget.

For today, like everyone else I got Erica Kane. Had no clue on FJ though which is sad because I love that book.

There was a weird edit in the very beginning of the show after Alex told Seth he had earned enough to pay off his student loans. Seth had no reaction but they cut to a wide shot of everyone laughing. 

Edited by YoureSoUrban
I forgot to say I felt sorry for Joe too :-(
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I do too, mostly because that's how they said it on the commercials I used to see all the time for "The Borgias",  but that's not the correct Italian pronunciation of it.

Oh, really? Huh!

In his first game, I thought Seth would get on my nerves after a few episodes, but it turns out he kind of leaves me cold. I've got nothing against him, but he hasn't made a strong impression either way. I am really pleased that he's passed Arthur Chu's record and is gaining on Matt Jackson's though. So I guess that's a big plus in his column.

Props to Ben for knowing all those flags. Vexillology is always going to be a weak spot for me.  I smoked that Oscars category though. I also liked the state names category, and I too have always read Borgia as rhyming with Georgia.

23 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

The joys of watching way too many British tv shows - they are obsessed with the Krays :-)

Same here, but surely no amount of British TV shows is way too many?

• Love 2

I thought it was very strange for Alex to say that Seth could now pay off his student loans (unless Seth told him that ahead of time). Seth's expression looked like that might not be true, but he's hard to read sometimes.  It was a dumb thing for Alex to say (well, add it to the list).

It is really Cost Of Living Adjustment because it is an adjustment to what social security recipients get.  I don't actually think allowance is correct, but I'm rooting for Seth so I'm glad they let it go.

• Love 1

I missed last night's program but I'll add my 2 cents anyhow - I have only ever heard it as Cost of Living Allowance, not adjustment. Mr.Trey worked for one of the big three for years and it was always allowance.

I checked on JBoard to see what FJ was - I would have gotten it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I missed last night's program but I'll add my 2 cents anyhow - I have only ever heard it as Cost of Living Allowance, not adjustment. Mr.Trey worked for one of the big three for years and it was always allowance.

I checked on JBoard to see what FJ was - I would have gotten it.

Interesting. I work in HR and have only heard of adjustment and Google shows that while allowance is sometimes used adjustment is much more prevelant.

• Love 4

Sorry to see Seth go :( I don't like the new lady. Since she stammered her way to "what are tulips?" when the answer was clearly Amsterdam, I thought "ugh." She will probably only last one day. But Seth, HONESTLY, with that $5 FJ wager? Were you TRYING to lose? Because it worked.

• Love 8

I didn't think Margie was very smart after that tulip question, but she really made up ground and showed a lot of guts in her wagering in the DD and FJ. The first round looked like it would be an easy victory for Seth; I would never have guessed the game would end in his defeat. So he didn't outdo Matt after all...sigh. In FJ, I'm guessing he was expecting Margie to bet it all and be wrong.

• Love 7

As far as I can recall Seth's betting was never terribly strategic so, with the competition so close, I figured he would blow it. Sorry to see him go out like that. And Matt's record is safe for the time being. Sorry, but I like Matt! *ducks tomatoes*

I had no idea for FJ (and therefore loved Eric's answer).

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Trey said:

I am in Canada so perhaps allowance is used more here.

The U.S. government seems to be pretty consistent in its use of "allowance" for employees who are stationed where there is a higher cost of living and "adjustment" for raises to keep up with inflation. But the clue wasn't about our federal use, so I guess they had to accept both.

RISING

Abbreviated C.O.L.A., it's a wage increase to help workers keep up with rising prices

It's a shame Seth lost.

• Love 3

The TS I remember are barley and Dierks Bentley.

While "Live Long and Prosper" IS the Vulcan salute, I feel like since the clue wanted what was on the stamp, Seth gave the incorrect answer.

Eric had a bit of the "Laura lilt" to his speech and I didn't like it.

Three unrevealed clues.  Pick it up people!

FJ was written all in English in words I did not understand.

Yeah that lady was excited blah blah blah I don't care because I am sad to see the end of Seth.

• Love 3

They must have a new clue writer who is a big fan of science fiction -- in the last couple of games we've had clues about 'Flowers for Algernon', 'The Lazarus Effect' and 'Fahrenheit 451'.  Which is awesome !

How was that a FJ worthy clue ?  Are you kidding me ?

AT curses Seth by pointing out details of his successful run at the start of the show -- at least he beat Arthur Chu, so he's got that going for him.

I'm glad Margie bet big on the last DD to tie the game -- so FJ wasn't a runaway.

Congrats Seth on a great run -- can't wait to see how you do in the ToC.

• Love 4

I too am sad to see Seth go.  I was very surprised he bet so little in FJ.

4 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

They must have a new clue writer who is a big fan of science fiction -- in the last couple of games we've had clues about 'Flowers for Algernon', 'The Lazarus Effect' and 'Fahrenheit 451'.  Which is awesome !

Also BtVS and Angel.  Flowers for Algernon was such a sad story. I liked it better as a short story than the longer version.

I got the missed DD of Egypt and the ts barley.

Did not get FJ - I've heard the term in general but didn't know it had a specific application.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm glad Margie bet big on the last DD to tie the game -- so FJ wasn't a runaway.

I agree. When you take on a two-week champion, go big or go home. I've never understood why people play conservatively against future Tournament of Champions contestants, particularly on $800 clues that you probably know.

Good for Margie. I never would have expected Seth to presume she'd get it wrong. He should've won. An epic fail or he just wanted to leave?    

12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

FJ was written all in English in words I did not understand.

10 minutes ago, Trey said:

Did not get FJ - I've heard the term in general but didn't know it had a specific application.

"Systemically Important Financial Institution" Their failure would cause catastrophic losses in the financial system and elsewhere. That's why we just call them "Too Big To Fail." It was the only thing I could think of. 

• Love 5

NOOOOOOO!!! Drats! I really liked Seth and was rooting for him. That wager? Dude, no!

I got FJ right away and was sure Seth would get it and continue on as champ since he managed to outpace the new champ by $2,000 at the end of DJ. She bothered me from the start with her driving dance thing during the intro; what was that? But afterward I didn't really have a problem with her. I see her as a one-and-done, like many giant killers are.

My Jeopardy test is in 15 minutes. Wish me luck!

• Love 8

*weeping*  At least we'll get to see Seth again in TOC.  I hate to be a mean bitch, but "screw you, Margie".  Hope she flames out tomorrow.  Yes, I'm bitter (and need to get a life).  Full disclosure - I've had quite a bit of wine - and up til now, I didn't realize I was a nasty drunk.

The only TS I got was barley.

I was as clueless as Margie and Amsterdam (which I knew) for FJ.  At least I knew it wasn't tulips.  I'm off to drown my sorrows with more wine.  And some brownies.

• Love 11