Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Back in the early days, when the only Ringo-sung songs were "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "Boys," a radio station in Miami had people call in to vote for their top ten songs. The following hour, the DJ would play the top ten and every single night, #1 was "Boys." 

I didn't see the show today, but I would've been torn between "Yellow Sub" and "Little Help" - but then, gone off reminiscing about "Boys" and missed the deadline.

• Love 4

I thought FJ was With a Little Help From My Friends. I didn't even think of Yellow Submarine.

I got Baden Baden. I didn't get spacewalker out of my mouth in time. I also could only think of Emma, not Lazarus.

I wish I had remembered Barnacle Boy. :(

• Love 2

I knew there were no singles released off Sgt. Pepper's, eliminating "With a Little Help..." and leaving "Yellow Submarine " as a pretty obvious answer.

When Alex revealed the category he made a comment about one of the contestants being very happy. If that was Blair, that makes her wager all the more frustrating.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I was sad about Joe's bet yesterday because I really liked him.  But I was ok with Blair's stupid bet because I was rooting for Cory anyway. 

It just seemed so weird because she was only a champion because of a boneheaded bet.

• Love 4

They should have given Blair the win even though she didn't bet enough.  Hey Jude and Get Back?  WTF?!

I know!  When you give such an totally wrong answer you should lose.  Hey Jude is famous as being a Paul song - he wrote it for Julian Lennon after John's divorce.  In fact, wasn't that a Jeopardy question last week?  Either that or Millionaire.  

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, operalover said:

I somehow knew it was Yellow Submarine. My son got the TS of Barnacle Bob and I got Spacewalker.  That's 2 days in a row I got the FJ so I hope I am on a role after stinking up the place lately.

I answered Yellow Submarine as a wild guess and was thrilled that it was right.  I got Barnacle Boy and Baden Baden, but for the life of me couldn't come up with spacewalker; I think I was trying to come up with something more science-y.

• Love 2

I bet it all as soon as the FJ! category was revealed.  I would have doubled my money.  I know my Beatles.  "Yellow Submarine" is a wonderful 3 beat song so can be sung while cantering your horse to get the rhythm.

• Love 2

As soon as I saw the category Women Poets I said Emily Dickinson and Elizabeth Barrett Browning. On the last clue, before they showed the question I shouted Elizabeth Barrett Browning to the amusement of the crowd (my son and the dogs). Note to Self: add Emma Lazarus to that list. Shocked Silvia Plath was not an answer.  Whenever it's Playwrights you can be sure Arthur Miller and Tennessee Williams are there. 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 5

The Bangladesh TS was embarrassing. There were a lot of TS's. I know Father Flanagan only because Jeopardy loves him so.

I sat down a little late to the show with my bowl of (red) lentil soup just in time to hear the lentil soup clue, which of course I got!

Edited by dcalley
added recipe
  • Love 6

Obscure Shakespeare is ALWAYS Troillus and Cressida.  Do these players not watch Jeopardy!?  And not knowing Schindler???

Alex must have been in heaven being able to say Alain so often.  Very annoying contestant.

• Love 10

I hate it when they have the soap opera people doing the clues. It eats up so much time! At least when they have the celebrities reading those long clues, it's useful information. The long soap clues have a lot of "filler".

• Love 7

I am so glad Alain didn't win!  Between his leaning and Alex's delight in saying his name, I was annoyed.  I was also annoyed and a little sad that they didn't finish the 80s music category.  I'm sure I would have run the category.  I am a sucker for 80s music.

Troilus and Cressida was an instaget for me -- I have no idea why, unless it's like @PaulaO said above that obscure Shakespeare is always Troilus and Cressida.

• Love 7

I was confused by the use of the phrase "history play" in the clue. The Trojan War (the setting of Troilus and Cressida) has always been the stuff of myth rather than history, despite the archaeological discoveries of Schliemann et al. The romance of Troilus and Cressida is not from classical antiquity; it was created by Chaucer. I've always thought of the history plays as those dealing with British history, from Richard II to Henry VIII. (Add King Lear if you're feeling generous.)

It surprised me that no one knew Limburger cheese. I guess almost no one eats it any more. Its smelliness was a frequent gag in old time humor. See American Cornball by Christopher Miller, an encyclopedia of stuff our parents and grandparents found hilarious. Limburger is a lengthy entry.

• Love 3

Congrats to Zoey.  Colby deserved to lose for missing the Schindler DD.  Alain, and Alex's relish at over-pronouncing his name, was annoying as hell.

Zoey should have been dinged for her answer of Ann, instead of Ayn, Rand.

I hated that Bold and Beautiful category.  What a time waster!  I, too, wanted more of the 80's albums category.

Of the seemingly endless TS, I got Limburger, pinch, Margaret Mitchell, The Sopranos, Bangladesh, Schindler, Father Flanagan, gambrel and IBM.

I was clueless, once again, for FJ.  I guessed Anthony and Cleopatra.

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

It surprised me that no one knew Limburger cheese. I guess almost no one eats it any more. Its smelliness was a frequent gag in old time humor. See American Cornball by Christopher Miller, an encyclopedia of stuff our parents and grandparents found hilarious. Limburger is a lengthy entry.

Yes, when I was a kid, we thought Limburger cheese was hilarious. Not that we ever ate any. I wonder if my kids ever heard of it?

Alain was really annoying with the clicker and he just seemed really confused about how to play. He kept trying to click in for the daily double- that may be a first!  I need to read up on Ayn Rand because it comes up all the time and I am not familiar with her. 

• Love 4

There seems to be an ongoing silent disagreement about how to pronounce Ayn, so I'm inclined to agree with the judges on letting Zoey have that one.  It's a made-up name anyway, so who knows what the right pronunciation is?  And she was a horrible person, so the hell with her damn fake name.

Not only didn't they know Limburger, they didn't know liverwurst either, did they?  Or lee-vair-voorsht, as Alex said.  Cripes.

I liked Colby yesterday, but today he seemed to posing for Bodybuilding Weekly.  All three contestants got on my nerves.

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

they didn't know liverwurst either, did they?  Or lee-vair-voorsht, as Alex said.  Cripes.

Nope. I remember because I missed it too (never ate the stuff).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, operalover said:

Alain was really annoying with the clicker and he just seemed really confused about how to play. He kept trying to click in for the daily double- that may be a first!  I need to read up on Ayn Rand because it comes up all the time and I am not familiar with her. 

And whenever he answered correctly, he started to put his buzzer away as if about to play a DD. 

I missed the beginning of the show, the part before commercials, but I got a few TSs. I did not get FJ. I said Antony and Cleopatra, though I did wonder about Troilus and Cressida. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Not only didn't they know Limburger, they didn't know liverwurst either, did they?  Or lee-vair-voorsht, as Alex said.  Cripes.

I out thought myself and rejected liverwurst (my favorite) for liver pate. Related, but probably not acceptable. Liverwurst is one of the few German food words I don't use the German pronunciation for - go figure. (raised in by a German speaking mother).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Of the seemingly endless TS, I got Limburger, pinch, Margaret Mitchell, The Sopranos, Bangladesh, Schindler, Father Flanagan, gambrel and IBM.

I didn't know gambrel. How you do not get Schindler or Margaret Mitchell? 

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Sometimes the obscure Shakespeare is Titus Andronicus.

True. I also remember a question about what King Henries Shakespeare didn't write a play about? 

• Love 1

I had no clue on Final Jeopardy. 

Cannot believe no one got the Sopranos.  granted I am a big fan of both shows and knew that about Weiner already, but still......HBO shows, David Chase, just take a guess at least. 

Schindler as well, surprised he didn't get that one. 

That one player was annoying with the buzzer.  Had he never seen the show before?  He tried to ring in on the daily double and acted like he was done after each correct answer, wouldn't choose. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That one player was annoying with the buzzer.  Had he never seen the show before?  He tried to ring in on double jeopardy and acted like he was done after each correct answer, wouldn't choose. 

My god, it was so annoying. Every single time, he was surprised that he needed to pick again. Every. Time. Dude, get your shit together, this is Jeopardy, not ...the bloody Splish...Splash...Show.

• Love 7

It surprised me that no one knew Limburger cheese. I guess almost no one eats it any more. Its smelliness was a frequent gag in old time humor. 

Whenever Limburger is mentioned, I can still hear my grandparents joking about how stinky it is. All these years later, it still comes to mind.

I knew Alain posing sideways when he was introduced wouldn't be popular here, but then he went on to be annoying in so many other ways! I've never seen anyone forget it was a DD and mash the hell out of the buzzer trying to answer. That was a first. And we didn't get all the way through the 80s music category because he took so long to pick. Glad he won't be back.

I absolutely loathed the Bold and Beautiful category. After the first answer, I ff'ed through the rest. 

• Love 5

Came here to post, but you guys already hit everything (Alain, limburger, etc.).  That's why I like it here.  

I am surprised Alex hasn't requested more contestants with French first names.  

And I did learn a new word today:  leprosarium.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I got FJ because I remembered another FJ from years ago:

She's the only queen in a Shakespeare play title.  [paraphrasing]

Who is Julius Caesar? (ha!)

The Bold & the Beautiful category cracked me up, especially The one with "Ridge". The way the other guy turned to the camera to deliver the clue was perfect. It would've been better if the clues had been briefer, though.

My grandmother loved liverwurst and I remember being sent to the store to get it for her.

• Love 2

Curly:  Moe, Larry, cheese.  No, limburger.  My knowledge of  limburger comes from the Three Stooges.  I certainly couldn't tell liverwurst from the picture.  It looked like a tan blob.  And when are limburger and liverwurst considered "L" thy foods?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Cannot believe no one got the Sopranos.  granted I am a big fan of both shows and knew that about Weiner already, but still......HBO shows, David Chase, just take a guess at least. 

I've never watched either show, and the name David Chase meant nothing to me, so I missed that one.  I got a lot of the TS clues, and FJ.  Couldn't come up with liverwurst, though.

And when are limburger and liverwurst considered "L" thy foods?

The foods in that category weren't healthy foods - they were foods whose names started with 'l'.

Alain didn't bug me but might have if he'd been around longer.  I will miss Colby because I thought he was attractive.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Oh my, Alain...  Don't they do several practice games before they throw you out there to the wolves?

When I was a contestant, you got one partial practice game, although you did get to watch other contestants' practices.  I think the buzzer stuff was probably nerves, and maybe the leaning was due to a medical condition.  After Cindy, I've promised myself to take that possibility into consideration.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never watched either show, and the name David Chase meant nothing to me, so I missed that one.  I got a lot of the TS clues, and FJ.  Couldn't come up with liverwurst, though.

The foods in that category weren't healthy foods - they were foods whose names started with 'l'.

That was totally misleading to me.  I thought the category was healthy foods that started with L.  Lentils, etc. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Poorly punctuated FJ question.  It was written as though "The History of ....and...." was the title of the play.  Does no one care about proper punctuation anymore?

I gave up on FJ when I couldn't for the life of me recall ever hearing about a Shakespeare play whose title was "The History of..." anything. I was quite confused by the grammar!

3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

That was totally misleading to me.  I thought the category was healthy foods that started with L.  Lentils, etc. 

I thought so too.

• Love 2

I can't remember the exact details, but I yelled at Trebek for blabbering on after a TS led to us getting one fewer clue.  Rather than just give the answer, he had all kinds of flair around it, and then the buzzer sounded.  Mr. Pallida's son is visiting and was a little confused by my tirade.

I got a kick out of the Bold and the Beautiful category, but I would prefer we got to see all clues.  They could make it happen, but noooooooo.

I had no idea that Schindler was buried in Jerusalem, so while I guessed him, I worried that it would be the kind of guess that, if wrong, would be judged harshly by the internet :) 

• Love 5

I had no idea for FJ.  Good on the new champ for figuring it out. 

What is the difference between a chin-up and a pull-up?  I've always used them interchangeably, and really thought there would be a score correction because of that.

I got quite a few TS, including Lapps, Maasai (Maori?  really?), Mt. Rainier (astonishing that was a TS), brass monkey, Man of 1000 Faces, Deadwood and Virginia City.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

What is the difference between a chin-up and a pull-up?  I've always used them interchangeably, and really thought there would be a score correction because of that.

A chin-up uses an underhand grip (palms facing toward you) and a pull-up is an overhand grip (palms facing away). A chin-up is a bit easier because it engages the biceps as well as the back. Of course, I guessed "chin-ups" and rolled my eyes severely when Trebek was like "no, it's pull-ups." They are similar enough to me (and I'm a personal trainer, FFS) that it seems ridiculous to nitpick.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Thanks for the explanation, @ClareWalks -- I really had no idea they were different things.

You're welcome! It's the same movement, just a switched grip. It is ridiculous to me that they wouldn't accept chin-up as an answer, because yeah, most people don't know the difference anyway (it's not something 99.9% of people need to care about, LOL).

• Love 2

I got FJ. Before really focusing on the word, I thought of something that people used to use a different term for: Holy Spirit was Holy Ghost. Then looked at the word "Pneumo" (lung - air - spirit) and felt my guess was confirmed.

Maori for Masai - that made me cringe, and I bet she did too watching it tonight!

• Love 3