Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Well, that was a squeaker for Tim! I liked all the contestants and thought it was a pretty good game.

I did well on ts's, getting ark (DD), Sartre, Green-eyed monster, whitewash and Antarctica - wasn't there an Adelie/Antarctica question just within the last couple of weeks?

Did not get FJ.  I had no idea who that philosopher was or when he lived - I said J. K. Rowling just for something to say.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

For today's FJ, you had to identify a British author who wrote 6 novels.  If it had been 7 I would have answered J.K. Rowling.  Jeopardy loves Rowling.

A combination of luck and savvy wagering won it for Tim.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Dickens? Including Drood, he wrote about 15 novels.  I'm sure no one will be surprised I got the answer right away. 

Shakespeare was an even stranger guess. At least Dickens was a novelist! I got it when I remembered a former boss said Austen wrote the same book six times. (She wasn't a fan.)

• Love 4

Congrats to Tim again.  Savvy wager.  It was a good game.  All of the contestants were pleasant and started at the top.

The only TS I got was South China Sea.

I was clueless on FJ as I was tricked by the clue writers because they didn't say Women Authors.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

• Love 8

I was thinking Rock, Paper, Scissors, but I wasn't confident enough to say it. 

For TSs, I got Kelvin (seemed obvious) and green-eyed monster. I also get the DD Ark. I couldn't quite come up with Sartre. 

For FJ, Dickens came to mind just because he's an English author, but I dismissed it immediately because I knew he wrote a shitload of novels. I didn't have a guess. I was appalled that Anuj said Shakespeare. He was so smart the rest of the game. Anyway, I should know from now on that Austen wrote six novels.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I did not get FJ, and I've read all the Harry Potter books more than once.   I don't see how the clue led to Harry Potter unless you had some idea on the name of the daughter of Helen of Troy, which is the only thing that narrowed it, IMO.  There are many books involving a trio of characters, and many series that have been popular.  And I don't immediately jump to Harry Potter being about a trio of people.  Harry is first rank, Ron and Hermione are second, and lots of people are third, fourth, so on.  

For everyone who immediately got it, did you know Helen's daughter, or did you just decide Harry Potter for some reason, and then narrow it down to the girl in the group?

I just wanted to chime in on this, because I did immediatly know they were referencing Harry Potter. I knew this because they used the word chums. That made me think British, which made me think HP. However, I didn't get the answer because I thought they were looking for  a name of a group, not an individual person's name. 

• Love 2

I've read that Gilbert Ryle quote several times, so I was (forgive me) chuffed to know FJ right away, even though I've never heard of that philosopher in any other context. I continue to be happy that they seem to have gotten rid of "Women Authors."

I felt for Allison missing that ark DD, and was super surprised no one chimed in to add "eyed" after she missed with "green monster."

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I did not get FJ, and I've read all the Harry Potter books more than once.   I don't see how the clue led to Harry Potter unless you had some idea on the name of the daughter of Helen of Troy, which is the only thing that narrowed it, IMO.  There are many books involving a trio of characters, and many series that have been popular.  And I don't immediately jump to Harry Potter being about a trio of people.  Harry is first rank, Ron and Hermione are second, and lots of people are third, fourth, so on.  

For everyone who immediately got it, did you know Helen's daughter, or did you just decide Harry Potter for some reason, and then narrow it down to the girl in the group?

I started with the Harry Potter books/movies because, to me, they are about a trio of young heroes, not just Harry, and the clue reference "a popular book series about a trio of young chums" which just screamed HP to me.  If you got that, then Hermione was the obvious answer because it sounded like it might be a Greek girl's name.

I just wanted to chime in on this, because I did immediatly know they were referencing Harry Potter. I knew this because they used the word chums. That made me think British, which made me think HP. However, I didn't get the answer because I thought they were looking for  a name of a group, not an individual person's name. 

The clue did specify "one of a trio of young chums in a popular book series" but I can see how missing that word could create confusion.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Dickens? Including Drood, he wrote about 15 novels.  I'm sure no one will be surprised I got the answer right away. 

I said Dickens, whose work I generally dislike, and not Jane Austen, whose work I adore.  Must go and hang head in shame now.

I got Antarctica, green-eyed monster and Kelvin.  I thought of Ark, but discounted it because I guess I was thinking of the Ark of the Covenant, which didn't seem to fit the rest of the clue.  I knew it wasn't Camus, but couldn't come up with Sartre in time.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I've read that Gilbert Ryle quote several times, so I was (forgive me) chuffed to know FJ right away, even though I've never heard of that philosopher in any other context.

Forgive you for saying "chuffed"? I love that word.

I just scanned Gilbert Ryle's Wikipedia page. I suppose his type of philosophy is reflected in Austen's writing. BTW, he coined the phrase "ghost in the machine."

• Love 3

I got it when I remembered a former boss said Austen wrote the same book six times. (She wasn't a fan.)

Them fighting words with your former boss!  And, technically, JA wrote 9 novels but only 6 were finished.  I count the other 3 :-)

It just occurred to me - this week's FJ answers were dealing with Harry Potter and Jane Austen.  Two of my favorite things - I wonder what today's will be: the Brady Bunch, British Royalty? 

• Love 3

HAWAII?!!!!!!  Do these people not realize Wilson was president in the 1910s and that Hawaii wasn't a state until 59/60?  I remembered that Arizona was the 48th state in the union (and I guessed that New Mexico was 47th). My only hesitation was that I wasn't sure when Arizona became a state, that it could have been after Wilson. But Hawaii????

• Love 10

Was that Jamie? Or Eeyore?

Hawaii was bad enough for one of them to say, let alone two.  Good God.

I also can't believe June was a TS.  I mean I know the clue did not specifically say D-Day, but the context was surely enough to know that.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

There were a lot of TS today, I got a bunch. Southern Christian Leadership Conference, whether, Erie Canal, Ohio River, Red Letter Day, hall of mirrors, Holy of Holies & John Huston. Jaime was a board jumper in a poorly fitting jacket, looked way too big on him. 

And Wendy cracked me up with her give me drugs for $200 request!

congrats to Tim for another good win.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention none of them were familiar with Florida at all, they didn't know Ft. Lauderdale? Guess I watched too many Annette & Frankie movies in my youth.

• Love 3

I really liked Jaime but Hawaii was such a bad guess.

Yes, there sure were a lot of ts's and I got many but not all of them: June, whether, Erie Canal (another topic the writers seem to like), Ohio River, Red letter day, CBC, Lexington, and, if chrome is the same as chromium, I got that one too.

Pretty much an instaget FJ.  I'm not sure why it has stuck in my head that Arizona was the last state in the union before Hawaii and Alaska but it finally paid off:)

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I also can't believe June was a TS.  I mean I know the clue did not specifically say D-Day, but the context was surely enough to know that.

That was painful. I knew it wasn't going to a great game at that moment. They were given the operation name and the year. And things never really got better from that point. Missing the Erie Canal when you've got a map? Hopefully tomorrow is better.

• Love 3

Congrats Tim!  Goodbye, Sad Sack Jamie and Mushroom Hunter Wendi.

Holy crap, there were a lot of TS and I didn't get them all.  Why did Tim say either after Wendi answered that and was judged wrong?  No matter how you pronounce it, it was incorrect.  I got Ft. Lauderdale, Erie Canal (there was a map, for God's sake), Inchon, June, whereas, red letter day, Hall of Mirrors, Arpanet (thank you, The Americans), chromium, Lexington, and John Huston.

For FJ, I guessed New Mexico.  Hawaii?  WTF?!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Miss Chevious said:

There were a lot of TS today, I got a bunch. Southern Christian Leadership Conference, whether, Erie Canal, Ohio River, Red Letter Day, hall of mirrors, Holy of Holies & John Huston. Jaime was a board jumper in a poorly fitting jacket, looked way too big on him. 

And Wendy cracked me up with her give me drugs for $200 request!

congrats to Tim for another good win.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention none of them were familiar with Florida at all, they didn't know Ft. Lauderdale? Guess I watched too many Annette & Frankie movies in my youth.

Not to get nit picky about it but the Beach Party Movies were set in California. However, Where the Boys Are was set in Ft. Lauderdale. 

• Love 5

I knew many of the TS's including the Holy of Holies (missed DD) and the CBC. I also was sad nobody recognized John Huston and that they didn't finish the Directors on Film category. I missed FJ by guessing Oklahoma. About 10 years off, but a better guess than Hawaii.

• Love 2

With FJ I thought there were a couple of states that were good candidates, but I thought, at least no one will say Alaska or Hawaii, because it's obviously neither of those. And then TWO of them guess Hawaii?? Wow.

Felt smart with all the TS - June, Erie Canal, red letter day, CBC. A picture of the route of the Erie Canal is shown and radio silence from the contestants? Wow. 

• Love 4

I got Arapanet, but totally missed FJ!  I said New Jersey because that is the only state I could associate with Woodrow Wilson.  Did not even think of AZ and NM, but knew that Hawaii wasn't a state in 1912.

• Love 1

I just got to watch last night's game this afternoon, and good gravy, that was a crapfest!  So many TS!  Like most of the rest of you, I thought the most egregious TS was June.  Mind you, I always remember it because it's my birthday, but Operation Overlord should be common knowledge.

I didn't think of AZ and NM for FJ either, but never in a million years would have guessed Hawaii.

• Love 3

Hell, for FJ I felt like the two states you could definitely rule OUT first would have been Alaska and Hawaii. I figured it was some state in the western half of the continental US, even though I didn't know it was AZ and NM.

• Love 6

Lots of TS's again! Tim is one lucky guy to keep winning.

I knew Hall and Oates, mistakenly said Billy Joel for "Brilliant Disguise", and was as clueless as the contestants for the other songs. How could they not get Hedda Gabler when Hedda was in the clue! I also got Kentucky, rum, Mike Hammer, Cross of Gold, Bridge of San Luis Rey, and Nietzche. Did not think of Italic for FJ. I thought of Georgia (for Vergil's Georgics) but thought that was too obscure.

• Love 4

It seems the writers have stepped up their games a little recently.  For example, today's FJ.  Not only did I have no idea for a response, but it was interesting and I feel I learned something.

Another example: the category Henrik Ibsen or Henry Gibson.  It's gimmicky, but it's fun gimmicky.

The Billboard charts category - I didn't get any of them, either, Tim.  But then in the interview Tim told us he was really into music charts.

I think Tim (and many champs) has two things going for him.  He's fast on the buzzer, and he doesn't ring in when he doesn't know the answer.  Both challengers today struck me as knowledgeable but they shot themselves in the foot by ringing in with wrong answers.  If they had more self-restraint, they might have beaten Tim.

• Love 5

Italics crossed my mind for FJ, but I didn't think that was a separate type of typeface, so I said Helvetica, too. 

I like Tim, but he needs to stop with the random clue-picking at the beginning of each game.

And indeed, my local station showed the incorrect promo on Monday.  They showed the one they should have saved until after today's game -- there has been no real suspense for me all week since I knew Tim would win.

It kind of makes me sad that no one knew Bruuuuuuuce!  It was also a bit surprising that no one could figure out rum for the Treasure Island clue.  I also got Hall & Oates, icebox, Hedda Gabler, Kentucky, Mike Hammer, The Meaning of Life, Neitzsche (though I had to look up how to spell it), and necessary.

• Love 2

Not a particularly entertaining game but better than no Jeopardy!.

My ts's were Hedda Gabler, Kentucky, Rum and Mike Hammer.

I did get Italics for  FJ but not before I thought of Elite and Pica and realized those are sizes.

• Love 1

I like Tim as a player, but his utter lack of enthusiasm is a little bit of a buzzkill. Then again, we have seen way too much enthusiasm from other players, so I guess I don't know what exactly I'm looking for. Maybe a bit less eyerolling when he underbets on DDs and ends up getting them right.

• Love 2

I missed the first part of Jeopardy, the part before the first commercial break.

For TSs I got Hedda Gabler, Kentucky, rum, and Mike Hammer.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Italics crossed my mind for FJ, but I didn't think that was a separate type of typeface, so I said Helvetica, too. 

I thought Helvetica, connecting it to Helen of Troy, though I'm not sure even that was correct. Italics never occurred to me, and like you said, that doesn't seem to be a typeface.

• Love 3

I credit The Simpsons, like a large degree of my knowledge, for knowing that FJ. 

In the episode Much Apu About Nothing, Homer is trying to teach Apu American history and asks why the flag  (the one they are looking at in the scene) has exactly 47 stars on it.  Apu responds because its a ridiculously out of date flag from the brief time after New Mexico became a state but before Arizona.....or vice versa, but you get the point. 

Even so though, just common sense you should know its not Alaska or Hawaii and its mostly likely a far western state besides California admitted in the early 20th century.  ANd you have to name 1 of 2 states for the answer.  You have about 8 states to choose from at most and 2 chances in ten, so just by guessing its about a 20% chance even if you don't know.  Utah, Colorado, NM, AZ, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, maybe Idaho. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Lots of TS's again! Tim is one lucky guy to keep winning.

I knew Hall and Oates, mistakenly said Billy Joel for "Brilliant Disguise", and was as clueless as the contestants for the other songs. How could they not get Hedda Gabler when Hedda was in the clue! I also got Kentucky, rum, Mike Hammer, Cross of Gold, Bridge of San Luis Rey, and Nietzche. Did not think of Italic for FJ. I thought of Georgia (for Vergil's Georgics) but thought that was too obscure.

I got Hall & Oates, Springsteen and the Biebs but didn't know Pink (although I have heard of the song) or Gwen Stefani.  I got almost all of the other stumpers, though, except Cross of Gold.  I thought I was going to be stumped by FJ, then got Italic at the last minute but probably not in time to write it down.

• Love 2

I've been thinking about this - perhaps the problem wasn't knowing when the states were admitted but when Wilson was POTUS.

The only music one I got was Hall & Oates and I'll be damned if I know how I pulled THAT one out of thin air. I thought "Cross of Gold" was fairly easy - I seem to have heard/read that quote often enough.  Count me as one of the Helvetica guessers, with a giant shrug after I said it to the cats.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've been thinking about this - perhaps the problem wasn't knowing when the states were admitted but when Wilson was POTUS.

The only music one I got was Hall & Oates and I'll be damned if I know how I pulled THAT one out of thin air. I thought "Cross of Gold" was fairly easy - I seem to have heard/read that quote often enough.  Count me as one of the Helvetica guessers, with a giant shrug after I said it to the cats.

For me it was the opposite. I knew when Wilson was POTUS, (well roughly, I knew he was POTUS during WWI), but blanked otherwise. I figured a western state, but that's as far as I got.

Hall & Oates is on my playlist, so I had no problem with that one. But didn't know any of the others, because I'm old and only listen to my playlists (lol).

• Love 4

I am not impressed with Tim's performances, but he keeps winning so good for him. A friend of mine called me yesterday to tell me my doppelganger was on Jeopardy. The middle contestant and I could be sisters, if not twins. It was eerie. Of course she crashed and burned, which made me a little sad.

There have been way too many TS's lately. They did so bad in the music category, but didn't I hear one of the contestants mention how much he likes music charts? I ran that one with ease and also got several other TS's. 

I first thought of Times New Roman, but I wasn't sure it was a standard font, so I guessed Italics, but not in time to write it down.

From the other day, I got AZ (and NM) right away. We still have the 100 year anniversary signs all over our highways in AZ even though it happened four freaking years ago.

• Love 2

You mean Caaaamooooo?

I was taught in German class that the easiest way to pronounce the umlaut U is to purse your lips like you want to say U and say a long E instead. The French U is pronounced similarly. So purse your lips, everyone...CamÜ

And no Jeopardy AGAIN yesterday because football. They showed Jeopardy at 3:30 am, which I missed. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If two contestants were thinking that Wilson was POTUS in 1959, that's even worse!

7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

And no Jeopardy AGAIN yesterday because football. They showed Jeopardy at 3:30 am, which I missed. 

Same in my area and I'm sick and tired of it!  And not even the game itself; it's pre-empted by the pre-game show!

• Love 1

I get that players are nervous and all, and who knows?  I might act just as inane as Lara did, but damn, it drove me just a little nuts.  Also with the starting in the middles of the categories.

I got Amish, Andersonville, Manassas, and North & South.  I am horrible at geography in that part of the world, so I was clueless on FJ.  I blame the USSR.

• Love 6

I knew Baku was the capital of Azerbaijan - they ran a Formula 1 Grand Prix race on a street circuit in Baku this year - but it came down to deciding if it was on the Caspian or Black Sea, and I guessed wrong.

• Love 4