Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On ‎05‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, secnarf said:

There is really no excuse for that. It's a kids tournament question, and ANYBODY going on Jeopardy, from the kids tournament to the celebrities, should be able to identify the five great lakes on a map. It comes up frequently enough and it's really not hard to learn.

I couldn't identify Lake Huron on a map if you hit me over the head with it, not when it's just a close up of the one lake.  I just don't look at the Great Lakes on a map all that often.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I couldn't identify Lake Huron on a map if you hit me over the head with it, not when it's just a close up of the one lake.  I just don't look at the Great Lakes on a map all that often.

Before I moved to WI I was all: "yeah, we have some inland lakes...blah blah....". They are so critical to the economy here you get pretty aware of them. But as a Jersey Girl? Not so much. 

• Love 2

At first I had no idea for FJ.  About two-thirds of the way through the FJ music "Don't Stop Believing" popped into my head.  (In all honesty I always disliked that song.)

• Love 2

When they showed the category for FJ I knew the answer would be one of those "Doh" moments for me.  I am horrible at remembering names of songs. And now I can't get it out of my head.

• Love 3

Head's up for Chicago viewers....There will be a baseball game starting at about 1:30pm on Thursday & Monday, so Jeopardy will be shown around 2am Friday/Tuesday (check your viewing guide for exact time).

• Love 1

Kelly just seemed to give up, didn't she?  She just looked so sad by the end of the game.

17 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

When they showed the category for FJ I knew the answer would be one of those "Doh" moments for me.

Me, too, and it was.  In my defense, when they showed the category, I went back to the 70s, to Zeppelin and Queen.  I got confused by the year.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it! 

I did, however, get leisure, philtrum, Maryland, Wisconsin and Ted Hughes. 

• Love 3

I got FJ. While you may have needed to recognize that Jonathan Cain was in Journey, I think more people would have figured it out if they mentioned Steve Perry instead. "Don't Stop Believin'" isn't particularly obscure given its relatively recent use in the Sopranos and Glee. 

3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did, however, get leisure, philtrum, Maryland, Wisconsin and Ted Hughes. 

Couldn't remember Ted Hughes, but got the others. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

While you may have needed to recognize that Jonathan Cain was in Journey, I think more people would have figured it out if they mentioned Steve Perry instead

Without a doubt.  With very few exceptions, I don't really know band members' names (see earlier post on remembering names!).  But if they'd mentioned Steve Perry, we all would have complained that the clue was too easy.  :)

• Love 3

Some of the TS I got tonight were leisure class, Ted Hughes, Maryland, cosmo and philtrum. My daughter and I always joke about the philtrum because that's a pretty obscure part of the body. "Your philtrum is showing!" Always cracks me up. Ok, I know I need to get a life....

Can't stand Tanya, hope she and her giraffe are gone soon.

• Love 2

I could not believe the one lady answered "Calgary" for an American colony settled by English Catholics!  I'm not sure why she guessed a Canadian province instead at least naming an AMERICAN colony?  I think she got very flustered then.

• Love 6

For a clue asking for the state of a college I've never heard of, I thought I might as well guess a random state - and I picked Wisconsin!!!!! I don't know if somewhere in the back of my mind I am actually familiar with Marquette College, or if it was pure luck. Either way, I was very loudly excited about it!

1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I could not believe the one lady answered "Calgary" for an American colony settled by English Catholics!  I'm not sure why she guessed a Canadian province instead at least naming an AMERICAN colony?  I think she got very flustered then.

That was very strange. I can't imagine what was going through her mind, there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

it irked me that the champ added the "g" to Don't Stop Believin." 

Me too. I thought they might mark that wrong. 

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Kelly just seemed to give up, didn't she?  She just looked so sad by the end of the game.

After mixing up the llama with the alpaca, she just seemed defeated  As a potential spoiler with those other two scores she bet nothing, it didn't matter if she was right or not. The other two had to bet against each other and miss. I suppose it's tough knowing it's out of your hands. She still  would have won had they marked Tanya's response incorrect.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I (too smugly) said, I'll bet it all. So of course I screwed it up. My mind glossed over the "3 word" part of the clue and I thought "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac, but I knew it was too early for the year mentioned in the clue, and the next thing you know, time's up.

My first thought was that Tanya irritates me because she's too silly and giggly for an adult. Then I thought, maybe she's had a hard life and needs to be silly and giggly. So I felt bad and now I kind of admire that. But she still gets on my nerves.

Now that I'm old, I like to think I try to let things go and be more understanding of others. But after Giraffe Lady's win today, I wonder if I might have undiagnosed Tourette's, because I unleashed a string of expletives at the screen and almost threw the remote in disgust. For some reason, my family thought I overreacted.

I TOTALLY had the Fleetwood Mac song in my head, but still came up with Don't Stop Believin'. My brain nearly exploded from trying to fit the wrong title to the melody I was hearing. Sadly, I think if I had been one of the contestants, I think I might have written Believing.

I'm a WI native, so I was entertained by getting Marquette. I think I might have learned what a philtrum was from Johnny Carson. I'm such a dope I applauded myself for getting that one. My teenage son knew Maryland, maybe because of APUSH this year, so a public school education might not be completely useless.

• Love 3

Another nice payday for Tanya! I was rooting for Kelly, a fellow actuary, but she seemed to give up after a couple of misses. Calgary for an American colony? Sheesh! I liked Daniel too. I also recently found out who I was named after, and it wasn't who I had spent 40 years thinking it was (both movie characters)

TS I got were triple & Ted Hughes. FJ was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush because he knew that Jonathan Caine is a member of Journey. I thought Journey was well-established by the early 80s so would not have still been struggling in 1981. Not that I would have gotten it in a million years anyway. Too bad I also smugly bet all of my imaginary J! winnings. 

13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

11 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Before I moved to WI I was all: "yeah, we have some inland lakes...blah blah....". They are so critical to the economy here you get pretty aware of them. But as a Jersey Girl? Not so much. 

I grew up in NOLA and learned about the Great Lakes & could name them, but we never had to id them on a map or anything. 

58 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

As a Marquette alum, I was tickled to see it on Jeopardy and surprised no one knew what state it's in. 

I guessed IN. 

• Love 2

Mr.Trey said he would be disappointed in me if I didn't get FJ but I pointed out that if it were a song from the 80's or later I might not get it.  I got as far as Don't Stop but didn't really know what came next since it was the Fleetwood Mac song going through my head. 

I thought the contestant said Calvary, not Calgary, which would make more sense even if still wrong.  I said Baltimore for that question and was pleased that I was in the right state:)

• Love 3

FJ was a gimmee for me, but then, I was a big Journey fan in the 80s, and knew that Jonathan Cain was a member.

As a resident of Maryland, I would've been tarred & feathered had I not gotten that DD correct.  Did you know the colony was named for Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles I?  I'll go to my grave knowing her name. :-)

14 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Some of the TS I got tonight were leisure class, Ted Hughes, Maryland, cosmo and philtrum

I didn't get philtrum, but did get the others.  And triple, as well.  Loved that category - mainly because I heard a cover of the Who's "Substitute" on the way to work yesterday morning; that song contains one of my favorite lines: "I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth".

I missed most of Monday's game, but I liked Tanya last night.  She does moved around a bit, but maybe, like me, she has to keep switching her weight from one foot to the other?  Other than that, I didn't see anything annoying about her.

• Love 2

I grew up in the 80s in Northwest Ohio where we were all about "Classic Rock".  I knew the answer before Alex finished reading the clue.  It didn't hurt that I had a little crush on Jonathan Cain as a kid.  

It seemed like the champ kept her giggling to a minimum last night.  I can get on board with her if that continues.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought the contestant said Calvary, not Calgary, which would make more sense even if still wrong.  I said Baltimore for that question and was pleased that I was in the right state:)

3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I, too, thought she said Calvary not Calgary.

That makes a lot more sense from a religious standpoint, but there is no colony named Calvary. Although I can only imagine what would have come out of my mouth if it had been me up there instead of Kelly, so I really shouldn't judge! 

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

As a resident of Maryland, I would've been tarred & feathered had I not gotten that DD correct.  Did you know the colony was named for Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles I?  I'll go to my grave knowing her name. :-)

I did not! The clue last night made me think it was named for the Virgin Mary. Wasn't Henrietta Maria one of the Louis' sisters? XIII or XIV? 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

That makes a lot more sense from a religious standpoint, but there is no colony named Calvary.

No, no colony named Calvary but the man who founded the colony was Calvert so she probably just thought Calvary sounded like a logical guess.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I did not! The clue last night made me think it was named for the Virgin Mary. Wasn't Henrietta Maria one of the Louis' sisters? XIII or XIV? 

She was the sister of Louis XIII, and the daughter of Henry IV and Maria de Medici.  Charles I of England, who gave the land grant to Calvert, was not Catholic, but Henrietta Maria was, as was the Calvert family.

• Love 3

Ugh, "preforations" was so obviously what he said immediately. I wish they'd rejected it right away.

And Dr. Oz is a dangerous quack and I wish he weren't on the show.

But yay, tennis!

giphy.gif

• Love 10

I was all prepared to be pissed off if they hadn't made a correction for "preforations".  I can't believe they ruled it right in the first place, it was so obviously mispronounced.

FJ was an instaget for me -- I would have bet everything on a dog breeds category, though!  The Westminster Kennel Club show is must-see TV in my house.

TS I got included open-heart surgery, James and the Giant Peach and Argentina.  For the rhyming category, I tried my best to figure out a rhyme for rustler for the person who moves cattle (instead of herder).

• Love 4

I would have been so angry if they didn't correct on "preforation."

All three of them annoyed me in some way so I was eh about the entire endeavor.  Also vicar sounds British so I said corgi for FJ.

That lady missing on "James and the Giant Peach" made me sad because wasn't Willie Wonka the name of the movie and the book is "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?"  So the name in the clue is not from that book?

Also how Rocky Mountain was in a clue and no one said Colorado is beyond me.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Also how Rocky Mountain was in a clue and no one said Colorado is beyond me.

I totally forgot about that one!  Was it really a TS?  Astonishing.  Add that one to my list of TS I got. 

• Love 3

When it took them three tries to come up with Saigon, I thought it was going to be a very long game, but it didn't end up being too bad. I had no idea for FJ, but I was struggling to come up with any small dog breed names!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I was all prepared to be pissed off if they hadn't made a correction for "preforations".  I can't believe they ruled it right in the first place, it was so obviously mispronounced.

FJ was an instaget for me -- I would have bet everything on a dog breeds category, though!  The Westminster Kennel Club show is must-see TV in my house.

TS I got included open-heart surgery, James and the Giant Peach and Argentina.  For the rhyming category, I tried my best to figure out a rhyme for rustler for the person who moves cattle (instead of herder).

I've been hit or miss this week on my Jeopardy viewership this week but I did pretty good today! 

FJ was an insta get for me. I don't really watch dog shows but I own a Jack Russell Terrier who is 15 years old. I don't know much about the history of them but did not think they were a recognized breed by the AKC at least. This was 15 years ago though so things might have changed. I read the clue and I guessed the first small breed dog I could think of that fit the clue :) Intersting to know since that was a fact I had not learned about the breed. 

• Love 2

I guessed Jack Russell Terrier just because it was obviously a British name and that was the only applicable dog breed I could think of.

Oh Matthew.  I feel so sorry for someone smart enough and a good enough player to get so far and then to make a monumentally bad FJ wager.   Bet big or bet small - good reasons for both approaches.  But that middle wager Matthew made - no sense whatsoever.

• Love 7

I was kicking myself for not remembering Jack Russell. I thought "Llasa Also? No... Pekinese? No... Poodle? Father Poodle? No... " I was running out of time, so I just said beagle, even though that's not really a small breed.

I wasn't paying complete attention during the game. Anyway, the only TS I got was James and the Giant Peach, though that was just a guess.

• Love 3

I said King Charles cavelier to start and honed in on vicar = religion and spit out St. Bernard. Mr. Pallida started giggling about those being "small dogs."  Oops. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

I guessed Jack Russell Terrier just because it was obviously a British name and that was the only applicable dog breed I could think of.  

Not to be confused with the Jack Daniels Terrier -- the little drunken dogs.  :)

• Love 14

I am verklempt over Final Jeopardy.   First of all, it was an instaget for me.   The Westminster is mandatory viewing for me and the canine resident (a rescued mix breed) and the Jack Russell Terrier is presented at the show as the Parsons Russell Terrier.  I was shocked that only one player knew the answer.   I was more shocked that it was the (IMHO) only likeable contestant this episode.   So, when he blew the math, I was horrified.   The new champion will hopefully go down tonight -- there is something smarmy about him that rubs me wrong.   

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

I was more shocked that it was the (IMHO) only likeable contestant this episode.   So, when he blew the math, I was horrified.

I really wanted him to win just for getting FJ right but his bad math skills said he didn't deserve the win after all.

Instaget FJ for me.  That was a pretty good category for me.

The only TS I remember getting was open heart surgery. 

I didn't notice it myself but posters on another board point out that all contestants wagered $3000 for FJ.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I wasn't paying complete attention during the game. Anyway, the only TS I got was James and the Giant Peach, though that was just a guess.

If Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had occurred to me, I would have said that. But for some reason James and the Giant Peach popped into my head. Haven't read either of them, but my kids did.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

... the Jack Russell Terrier is presented at the show as the Parsons Russell Terrier. 

I didn't know that! I admit I'm not a regular viewer of the various dog shows, so maybe I've heard it and forgotten.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

If Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had occurred to me, I would have said that. But for some reason James and the Giant Peach popped into my head. Haven't read either of them, but my kids did.

I haven't read them either, but I saw both movies. I should remember what Charlie's last name is... and googling just now I see that it's Bucket, which I now remember. :p

BTW, James and the Giant Peach is an awesome movie.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

I said JRT for FJ! then corrected myself to Parsons Russell.  I wonder if PR would have been accepted.  What was the clue for the Roald Dahl book?  I answered Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

• Love 1

Boo hiss to Matthew's FJ wager. He was a great contestant, and very cool that he is Judy Blume's nephew! I'll miss Tanya too. She had a bad day, but earnings-wise she had a great run.

TS I got were herder murder, open heart surgery, CO (how was that a TS?), James & the Giant Peach, Argentina. I was glad they corrected the perforation/preforation answer, but surprised it was not ruled incorrect as soon as McKenzie said it. 

I had no clue for FJ; I guessed spaniel. 

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For the rhyming category, I tried my best to figure out a rhyme for rustler for the person who moves cattle (instead of herder).

I did too at first, then herder came to me at the last possible instant. I probably would not have had time to ring in. 

• Love 2

I said "James" (of giant peach fame) since I knew Charlie's last name is Buckett! I think Parsons Russell would have been acceptable (it's the new (less than 5 years I think) name, although the judges may have had to double-check that.

• Love 1
On 5/23/2017 at 10:49 PM, HavartiHead42 said:

My teenage son knew Maryland, maybe because of APUSH this year, so a public school education might not be completely useless.

Why would a public education be useless? Were you being facetious?

I'm glad Tanya is gone. Sometimes I just have a negative reaction to a contestant. I thought she was too loud and took too long to select clues.

• Love 2

Another instaget FJ for me, and I'm totally in the wrong demographic for that particular group. 

I also got corn and lima beans, Hebrew and Yiddish, and Climb Ev'ry Mountain.  The Sound Of Music is one of my favorite movies, and I was lucky enough to be able to watch it at the Trapp Family Lodge in Vermont when I was on vacay a couple of years ago.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

FJ was an instaget but it bothers me that the art didn't have a green mask on Raphael.

Why? Did he wear green in the original comic book? I only know them from the 80s cartoon (every episode, multiple times, probably!) and the recent movies. 

Hebrew and Yiddish seemed completely obvious to me, and I've never heard of the book. Especially after Hebrew and English, and Hebrew and Arabic were guessed!

• Love 3

I got gimlet, hammer & tong, corn & lima beans, last judgment. DD I got was philodendron, not toomany plants fit in the "Phil" category so don't know how he could've missed that one. 

The only reason I knew FJ right away is because my kids watched TMNT cartoons when they were little, back in the 80's.

Melanie in the middle should stop guessing if she didn't know. She hit the Wild Guess Whirlpool (too many of those and you start circling the drain). And I feel for Mackenzie, it's really tough when in FJ you bet it all, get it right so you double your score and you still lose by ONE LOUSY DOLLAR. 

• Love 3