Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The line referencing the New Jersey Turnpike comes late in the song. I ran through the lyrics in my head and came to it just in the nick of time. I hate board hopping. It disrupts the flow of the game. I'm not eligible to be a contestant (one of the producer's kids went to school with my daughter), but if I were, I would hate getting stuck on the show with a board hopper like Greg. Just boo hiss. 

• Love 3

I hated tonight's game.  Too much board-hopping, too many TS, and too many boneheaded responses.

TS that I got included beef wellington, New Mexico, snow leopard, discus, melanin, MST3K and flock. 

I admit, Exorcist was the first thing that popped into my head, but I knew immediately it was wrong and changed to the correct answer.  Texas Chainsaw Massacre?  WTF, Greg?  Glad he lost.

• Love 4

Yay, Jane!  So glad the board hoppers lost.  I was cheering.

I got Beef Wellington (missed DD - cheered at that one), New Mexico, discus, melanin (was that a TS?), Mystery Science Theater 3000 ,and flock.

It took me a minute to pull The Omen out of my brain but managed in time.  I could remember Damien and was pounding my head.

• Love 2

Not a good night for me! I only got Beef Wellington (thank you Gordon Ramsey) and melanin. I said The Exorcist immediately, but I would have bet nothing anyways - I don't like scary movies! I've only vaguely heard of the Omen and couldn't tell you a single thing about it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I've cooked it in the oven, in the husk with the silk. It came out great- the silk kind of dissolves IIRC. But I lost the recipe, so haven't tried it again.

I cook it like that in the oven from time to time but I try to avoid using my oven in the summer. 350 degrees on the rack with a cookie sheet on the lower rack for 30 minutes unshucked. You have to wait for them to cool down enough to handle but then the shucking is so easy! 

I only paid half attention to tonight's game so I didn't notice the board jumping as much. FJ was an instaget for me and I don't even watch scary movies. It was the first movie that came into my head when I tried to remember commercials for scary movies back in 2006. My husband guessed The Exorcist and I was sure he was right.

Edited by Mountainair
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, dcalley said:

I imagine that when you're on the show, the viewers don't matter to you.

So... I will never be on the show, so I can only care about my at-home confusion. :)

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6

So... I'm glad Jane won. I hope she lasts for a few games.

So many TSs. I got beef wellington, New Mexico, Snow Leopard, the discus, Elizabeth Warren, Newt Gingrich, Mystery Science Theater 3000, and flock.

So... I didn't get FJ. I thought the date was significant, but I missed the 666. When I looked at it I just thought it indicated a summer movie. Anyway, my guess was Halloween. I guess it wasn't as early as the 70's.

• Love 7

So I have a big snow leopard tattoo and pointed at it while answering. If I had been on the show, you all would have judged my pointing and giggling. 

So there were a lot of TS I also got. And I like this so game. 

• Love 8

But...but...but they didn't remake Rosemary's Baby or Exorcist (my first guess was Psycho).

I went to grad school in Las Cruces, so of course I was yelling "New Mexico" for White Sands. Ran the school pic category except for Gringrich, whom I like to pretend doesn't exist.

Trivia: My sister Eileen was in The Exorcist. She played Captain Howdy and did most of the possession scenes (for Blair). Yup, even the pea soup and revolving head. So when everyone else in the audience was screaming, I was laughing. I mean, I was sort of young and, after all, it was my sister...the same sister I once got mad at and broke a ukulele over her head.

• Love 4

Lots of ts's last night.  I got beef wellington, snow leopard, discus, MST3K and flock. 

Did not get FJ.  I said A Nightmare on Elm Street - totally ignoring the part about the remake. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Trivia: My sister Eileen was in The Exorcist. She played Captain Howdy and did most of the possession scenes (for Blair). Yup, even the pea soup and revolving head. So when everyone else in the audience was screaming, I was laughing. I mean, I was sort of young and, after all, it was my sister...the same sister I once got mad at and broke a ukulele over her head.

As one does.

So, how old were you and why did you do that and was that your ukulele?

How cool that your sister did those iconic scenes, but the revolving head? How is that possible? I thought that was a dummy. (No offense to your sister.) Who was Captain Howdy? 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Would shot put have been accepted instead of discus?

I think the clue mentioned having fingers on the edges in a way that would make shot put unacceptable. Uneven bars was a very unexpected goofy guess, I thought!

P.S. I have this song in my head now. "Some of us are Davids, but most of us are Daves."

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, rubaco said:

I am so sad that MST3K was a TS. What's the world coming to?

Got FJ right away... with my cat Damian at my side.

I should've gotten FJ, but didn't.  The "6/6/76" didn't resonate for me.  All I could think of was Jaws and I was fairly certain that's never been remade.

Concur on the MST3K stumper.  Not even geeky Greg got it.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I didn't realize today was Dave's birthday, RIP Dorothy! 

I gasped when the category came up. It's hard enough to lose a mother, but to lose her on the day before a significant birthday. How sad. I thought maybe they'd have a tag giving Dave condolences, but I didn't see one.

• Love 3

Disappointed they didn't get to all the Her Band clues.

I was surprised at the triple stumpers in the Chinese Zodiac category. Rabbit for Grace Slick and.... I forget the other one! 

• Love 5

Wow.  I tuned in just before FJ today and I got it in about two seconds (I mean, Geneva? Organization? What else could it be) so I was shocked that lady did not get it.  She must have way overthought it.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Fex said:

I was surprised at the triple stumpers in the Chinese Zodiac category. Rabbit for Grace Slick and.... I forget the other one! 

Goodyear, I think.  I got both of those, along with Boxster and The Pit and The Pendulum.  However, I completely, stupidly blanked on FJ. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wow.  I tuned in just before FJ today and I got it in about two seconds (I mean, Geneva? Organization? What else could it be)

Yup! Kinda figured Jane for a one-and-out. Like Deb. Love her outfit!!!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I gasped when the category came up. It's hard enough to lose a mother, but to lose her on the day before a significant birthday. How sad. I thought maybe they'd have a tag giving Dave condolences, but I didn't see one.

On the other hand, he got to be 70 before he became an orphan. He got 10 more years with his mom than I did with mine.  I always loved the way she'd so patiently say, "Yes, David," as she probably had done his whole life. She was a great sport.  Thanksgiving was off this year, as I didn't get to see Dave "Guess Mom's Pies."

I was yelling at the TV when they didn't complete the "Her Band" category..."That's what you get for starting in the MIDDLE of the category."

• Love 6

Congrats to Deborah.  Sorry to see Jane go, though.   I wanted to root for Lee, being from my city, but when he started in the middle of a category, he was dead to me.

I got The Pit and the Pendulum, mocha (missed DD), Boxster, rabbit (shocked that that was a TS), and Goodyear.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Goodyear, I think.  I got both of those, along with Boxster and The Pit and The Pendulum.  However, I completely, stupidly blanked on FJ. 

Goodyear! Thank you.

• Love 1

I got the DD of mocha, rabbit, Goodyear, and Pussycat Dolls. One clue had the answer of bubble bath, but I said bath beads. It had to be alliterated. I wonder if my answer would have been accepted. I also got FJ. I'm sorry Jane missed it. She was a smart cookie.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On the other hand, he got to be 70 before he became an orphan. He got 10 more years with his mom than I did with mine.  I always loved the way she'd so patiently say, "Yes, David," as she probably had done his whole life. She was a great sport.  Thanksgiving was off this year, as I didn't get to see Dave "Guess Mom's Pies."

I was yelling at the TV when they didn't complete the "Her Band" category..."That's what you get for starting in the MIDDLE of the category."

I'm not sure having more years makes it easier, or harder, at the actual time of loss. Later, you count your blessings (it'll be 23 years for me by the time I'm 70). She did seem like a great sport, and she'll be missed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

It seemed from Alex's  reading of the category that he had never heard of Chinese restaurants  having zodiac placemats. I found that both odd and sad...

I think he knew about the zodiac placemats; it just seemed an oddly enigmatic category name. You weren't sure what sort of responses they were going for until you saw the actual questions. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure having more years makes it easier, or harder, at the actual time of loss. Later, you count your blessings (it'll be 23 years for me by the time I'm 70). She did seem like a great sport, and she'll be missed.

True...I was 54 and my Mom was 83 when she passed; but it doesn't matter how old either of you are...it's Mom.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did what I always seem to do when tire-related clues come up on Jeopardy: answered Firestone.

• Love 1

I was sad that my fellow actuary Trevor did not pull it off, but was happy for Jane and her alliterative name. Trevor also pissed me off when he started requesting clues out of order. I thought all of us actuaries were a bit OCD. 

Random thought while the contestants were being introduced: "Greg Chin. Reminds me of the Greg Kinh Band who sang "Our Love's In Jeopardy", parodied by Weird Al as "I Lost on Jeopardy" A glass of wine may have contributed to that thought process..lol

TS I got were Newt Gingrich, melanin, MST 3000, flock, & the missed DD of Beef Wellington. FJ was an instaget as soon as I saw the date. 

On 4/12/2017 at 6:36 PM, rubaco said:

I am so sad that MST3K was a TS. What's the world coming to?

Got FJ right away... with my cat Damian at my side.

IKR? Dr Toothbrush and I were crushed. Awesome cat name! 

On 4/12/2017 at 8:04 PM, secnarf said:

Not a good night for me! I only got Beef Wellington (thank you Gordon Ramsey) 

That is how I got Beef Wellington too. If there is ever a clue about pea risotto, he will receive credit then also. 

On 4/13/2017 at 1:32 AM, Mystery Author said:

But...but...but they didn't remake Rosemary's Baby or Exorcist (my first guess was Psycho).

I went to grad school in Las Cruces, so of course I was yelling "New Mexico" for White Sands. Ran the school pic category except for Gringrich, whom I like to pretend doesn't exist.

"Rosemary's Baby" was redone with Zoe Saldana, but it was a mini-series IIRC. Cool about your sister. I have never seen the movie, but my dad said it is the scariest movie he has ever seen.  

TS I got for Thursday were "The Pit & The Pendulum", mocha (DD), Boxster, rabbit, Goodyear, Pussycat Dolls, & The Motels.

Dr. Toothbrush & I are from NOLA, & neither of us had any idea that 'lagniappe' is derived from a Quechan word. Dr. Toothbrush, in his best Sean Connery imitation: "You just made that up Trebek" 

When I can run a Geography category, it is too easy. Also, Interpol as a DJ DD, and extradition as the answer to a $2,000 clue? Sheesh!

Lee's cinna-waffle sounds gross, but would make a delicious ice cream flavor. Cinnamon ice cream with a cream cheese icing ribbon and waffle bits. Make it happen Ben & Jerry!!

19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

One clue had the answer of bubble bath, but I said bath beads. It had to be alliterated. I wonder if my answer would have been accepted. 

I said bath bomb. 

• Love 1

So, how old were you and why did you do that and was that your ukulele?

How cool that your sister did those iconic scenes, but the revolving head? How is that possible? I thought that was a dummy. (No offense to your sister.) Who was Captain Howdy? 

I think I was around 10 (it was a plastic uke and I had graduated to the guitar).

My sister Eileen - www.eileendietz.com - has been in a ton of horror movies and travels to horror conventions. I'm not sure about the revolving head; trick photography, I guess. I wrote a novel inspired by my sister's stint in Exorcist (FIFTY CENTS FOR YOUR SOUL -- it's also an audio book) but didn't include the revolving head. Eileen gave me movie background, but only if I promised to kill off the director in the first chapter. Captain Howdy was the face splashed across the screen ... in front of the young priest.

• Love 5

The only thing that occurred to me for FJ was Switzerland.  Israel never crossed my mind.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I think the Jeopardy writers have stepped things up recently.  A year ago we were all complaining about how the clues were too easy.  In recent months I haven't noticed that.  Either the games are more challenging or my mental abilities have declined (or both.)

The difficulty level is right about where it should be now.

• Love 5

I was too focused on the money part of the FJ clue, and said Dubai -- the wealthiest country I could think of.  Israel never occurred to me, and neither did Switzerland. 

But I did get America First! and hedgerow before my brain stopped working.

Glad Deborah won again. 

• Love 2

I was surprised nobody got "America First," to the point where I wondered if they were just refusing to answer it on purpose? I had zero clue for FJ, I do not associate Switzerland with "milk" beyond the chocolate connection.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I was surprised nobody got "America First," to the point where I wondered if they were just refusing to answer it on purpose? I had zero clue for FJ, I do not associate Switzerland with "milk" beyond the chocolate connection.

I thought FJ was super tricky, and felt very very clever for guessing Switzerland - based on "money" alone. Even more so when none of the contestants got it! Good for the ego, lol!

I was so shocked when a picture of this decorative fan on my shelf popped up as a clue! Apparently it is a print of a famous thing and I had no idea. It was the Hokusai Mount Fuji one. The fan was a gift from an exchange student from Japan when I was in university.

Edited by Fex
  • Love 5

Wow, what an ending!  Congrats to Deborah, again.  I would have been happy with Jim, but Elspeth bugged the crap out of me - another Joan of Arc buzzer holder and annoying.

I came in late (right after the interviews) and got hedgerow, Clipper, and Scott Turow (missed DD - I was screaming at Deborah).

FJ was an instaget.  Israel never crossed my mind.  I can't believe none of them got it.  Hello, Swiss banks, cheese and chocolate.

• Love 6

I couldn't believe they missed "America first" and "hedgerow".

Switzerland was the first and only country that came to me for FJ. Milk --> Cows --> Switzerland, and then the money part also made sense. Middle Eastern countries never even occurred to me.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Wow, what an ending!  Congrats to Deborah, again.  I would have been happy with Jim, but Elspeth bugged the crap out of me - another Joan of Arc buzzer holder and annoying.

I came in late (right after the interviews) and got hedgerow, Clipper, and Scott Turow (missed DD - I was screaming at Deborah).

FJ was an instaget.  Israel never crossed my mind.  I can't believe none of them got it.  Hello, Swiss banks, cheese and chocolate.

Jim's little comments throughout the game were much more annoying to me than Elspeth's buzzer holding. Alex will of course start Monday's show by remarking on Deborah's small victory total. My mind also went to Switzerland almost immediately. I also knew America First and hedgerow--the latter because my generation has long puzzled over what the hell "a bustle in your hedgerow" is.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Jim's little comments throughout the game were much more annoying to me than Elspeth's buzzer holding. Alex will of course start Monday's show by remarking on Deborah's small victory total. My mind also went to Switzerland almost immediately. I also knew America First and hedgerow--the latter because my generation has long puzzled over what the hell "a bustle in your hedgerow" is.

I had to look it up because I've always wondered, too.  Now I have that song stuck in my head.

""A bustle in your hedgerow," the enigmatic line in Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven" classic, has mystified music mavens for decades. Hopefully, the following will sprinkle a scintilla of elucidation and edification upon this cryptic conundrum. 

A hedgerow is a hedge that surrounds many estates in Britain. 

Bustle, or noise or activity, used in this sense, means a disturbance close to home. Something's happening in your world! "

• Love 5