Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, secnarf said:

Silence of the Lambs isn't a sequel - it has a sequel and two prequels, but it was the first one to be released, wasn't it?

Manhunter, a version of Red Dragon, the Thomas Harris book which introduced the character of Hannibal Lecter, was released five years before Silence of the Lambs.  So technically SOTL could be considered a sequel, I guess.  I knew the correct answer, but if I'd been a contestant and had chosen SOTL instead, I might've argued it with the judges.

For TS I got South Africa, The Cars, Little Buddy and fishing. I'm really surprised Kirsten missed the scarecrow DD.

Me too.  I also got Denmark, San Francisco and Sambuca.  Gee, you think they would've accepted "Sherlock Holmes' brother" for Mycroft?  I knew the name but could not come up with it in time.  Sadly, all I had for ecology was earthology - yeah, a total brain fart.

Not sure I would have had time to write the entire FJ answer once I realized that a LOTR sequel won BP

I knew it right away because it's on my list of undeserving Oscar winners (should've been Master and Commander instead), but I, too, am not sure I'd have had time to right the whole title out.  I wonder, did Kirstin leave out the first 'the' in the 'The Return of the King' part of the title?  Would it have mattered?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Does no one read Coleridge any more?  I was yelling Kublai Khan at the TV, and then reciting:  "In Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree..."  <sigh>

Other TS I got were nail, safari (can't believe Brandon, who lived in Africa, missed that one!), adverb, and University of Kentucky.

I liked Brandon and Sara, and really hoped one of them would beat Kirsten.  I'm over her.  I liked Sara's karaoke wedding story, probably because I like the B52s, too.

FJ was ridiculously easy for me.  I can't believe Brandon missed that one, too.  And thanks, @dcalley for that Carol Burnett clip!  That never fails to make me laugh so hard.

• Love 7

Brandon!  WTH!?  I was counting on you!  I, too, liked Sara's story.  Kirstin is driving me nuts.  Oh well, we get a two week reprieve from her with the College Tournament and lots of pop culture stuff I've never heard of.  Blech!

I got nail, safari, Kool and the Gang, the Universities of Michigan, Kentucky and Arizona, Ghandi and Kublai Khan.

FJ was such an instaget I still can't believe Brandon didn't get it.

@dcalley - I love that Carol Burnett sketch.  Thanks!

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got nail, safari, Kool and the Gang, the Universities of Michigan, Kentucky and Arizona, Ghandi and Kublai Khan.

I didn't get nail, but I think I would have tried it after Kristen buzzed in with hammer. As for the others, Mitch McConnell is Kentucky's senior and Senate Majority Leader. Barry Goldwater, Arizona Senator.  

I don't know any other line from it,  but I do know Coleridge's "In Xanadu Did Kluiba Khan."

14 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

He saw slippers and a dress and thought of the Wizard of Oz. I did too than read Atlanta. Why would someone from Kansas be wearing slippers from Atlanta? So, Scarlett O'Hara it is. 

• Love 2

Yeah that was awful not getting Scarlett Ohara

Also they all sucked at the State university category.  Got all those easily.  Kentucky, Arizona and Michigan, the three they didn't get, all pretty obvious I thought.  Goldwater, Ashley Judd (she's a huge UK basketball fan) and Madonna (she's from Detroit). 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, clubsauce said:

That definition says "initial consonant sounds" though, not just the same consonant. Ok. Done beating my dead horse! 

I'd say that the dictionary link actually supports your point, so if you need someone to do mouth-to-mouth and try to revive your poor dead horse . . . 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

FJ ,for me, was such an instant get that I second guessed myself for a second because it seemed so obvious.  

So did I. My first guess was Scarlett O'Hara. Then realizing I'm not Jeopardy smart let alone smart-smart that I was wrong. That said, I was totally committed to my answer (question) before the first reveal. I would think that 99% of the country would get that right. Was it too easy?

• Love 1

I liked when Alex was reading the category names, he said, "Weights and Measures… eh…" like it was a boring category.

Doh! Instead of Charity Navigator I said Compass Navigator.

I got nail and adverb. I don't know if I would have gotten credit for saying Kubla Khan. That's the name in the Coleridge poem, but the name is actually Kublai Khan.

• Love 3

I liked both Brandon (yay for alliterative names*) & Sara, too bad things didn't work out for either of them. My husband guessed "the woman from 'A Streetcar Named Desire' " for FJ. I don't think characters in a play are considered to be literary characters, not to mention the clue said Atlanta and not NOLA, which happens to be our hometown! I swear he doesn't even try. Anyway, another male perspective. Brandon's answer was much better. 

dcalley - thanks for the Carol Burnett clip. So funny!!

*I guess Kirstin's name can be considered alliterative since both names begin with the same sound. However, I only count names that start with both the same letter and the same sound. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, your husband was sort of on the right track. Vivien Leigh played Scarlett and she also played Blanche DuBois in Streetcar.

You give him too much credit because that would have never occurred to him..lol 

• Love 2

I can. Poor guy for-sure hasn't read GWTW. And if he's seen the movie, which is also doubtful, Scarlett doesn't appear in a green dress. However, if he had watched the show on a regular basis, J! loves GWTW.

When I was in the third grade I tried to hide a copy of my mom's 1937 original GWTW hardcover inside my Dick& Jane reader. Strangely enough, I got caught by my teacher, Miss Sage, an identical twin to Miss Grundy, who confiscated the book and said my mom would have to come to school to claim it.

Mom: I'm so sorry, Miss Grundy...I mean, Miss Sage. Was Deni disturbing the class?

Miss S: Well, no.

Mom: Hadn't she finished her classwork?

Miss S: Well, yes, she had finished.

Mom: Then what's the problem?

Miss S: Don't you think the book is too OLD for her?

Mom: No. Deni has access to my bookshelf and, while GWTW is extremely racist, I wanted to discuss why it's racist with her.

Miss S: Gobsmacked into silence.

After that, I hid paperbacks --- like Forever Amber --- inside my reader.

• Love 6

@dcalley, that Carol Burnett clip is the only reason I knew what Scarlett was wearing! Never read the book, never saw the movie. I guess Brandon never watched Carol Burnett either.

Lots of TS tonight. I got Guatemala, Kool & the Gang, I Feel for You, adverb, and the Universities of Michigan, Kentucky and Arizona.

Do they really take time off between tapings for the tournament? I always wonder when Alex says enjoy the weekend or some other time off if they really can.

• Love 1

I forgot to post about the Funkytown category! It was like the reverse of the many French things Alex gets to say in each episode -- could no one have told him how to say any of that??? I laughed and laughed. 

• Love 6
On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

@dcalley, that Carol Burnett clip is the only reason I knew what Scarlett was wearing! Never read the book, never saw the movie. I guess Brandon never watched Carol Burnett either.

Lots of TS tonight. I got Guatemala, Kool & the Gang, I Feel for You, adverb, and the Universities of Michigan, Kentucky and Arizona.

Do they really take time off between tapings for the tournament? I always wonder when Alex says enjoy the weekend or some other time off if they really can.

Yes, they do.

I enjoyed the Funkytown category, even though I missed a couple.  Got I Feel For You, though, and shouted it at the tv, like that was going to help the contestants.  Not a bad game for me, except for the university category - I only came up with Maine and Arizona in that one.

My mother would've disowned me had I not known Scarlett O'Hara.  GWTW is her favorite movie, so I've seen it more times than I care to remember and I've read the book as well.  It's a different dress in the movie, but the green-ish dress she wore at the Twelve Oaks picnic is the same one as the first scene in the book; Mammy was scandalized by her wearing that same dress, and showing her shoulders!  (Because it was too early in the day for bare shoulders, I believe.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

Jeopardy! is rerun on Saturdays on my ABC affiliate.  One of the DD (subject was something like literary siblings) was:  Careen and Suellen O'Hara were the flighty sisters in this book.  The guy missed it--had no clue.  I laughed my butt off.  And for the record, Scarlett is wearing a green and white sprigged muslin dress in the first chapter.  It was an afternoon dress and Mammy was horrified that the next day Miss Scarlett was going to show her bosom before noon.

• Love 5
On 2/11/2017 at 2:28 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

I've never read the book or seen the movie either (just snippets).

Do they really take time off? My understanding is that the answer is sometimes. The tournaments may be filmed out of order, especially when they are on location. As for "enjoy the weekend," they film 5 shows a day, so your "weekend" as a champ might be one night or several days (where you fly back home and work).

• Love 2

Between the starting in the middles of the categories and the starting every sentence during the interview with "So...", I was actively rooting against Lilly. 

Books of the Bible could have gone very badly for the Yeshiva kid if the clue had been a New Testament book.  I went in the wrong direction, too, like middle guy did.

• Love 6

I really couldn't stand Lilly.  She was just obnoxious.  And she was board jumping even after the DD's were gone.   I was rooting for the kid on the end (Netanel?) and wish he had bet more for FJ.  But I think he will get into the finals as a wild card.

• Love 5
On 2/10/2017 at 5:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Does no one read Coleridge any more?  I was yelling Kublai Khan at the TV, and then reciting:  "In Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree..."  <sigh>

Me too - that's the only line I can quote, but I love the way the line rolls off of the tongue.

I like Lilly, despite her brusqueness and board jumping. She's not the only one who started her story with "So," Netanel did as well. It's something I hate, but the constant stream of contestants doing it is wearing me down to almost ignoring it.

• Love 3

Hi guys. Mostly lurk in this thread but avid Jeopardy fan. Thanks for all the fun commentary!

Man, Lilly was truly insufferable. The board jumping was driving me crazy. And I felt for the kid in the middle. Seemed kind of harsh that he was up against two seniors as a freshman. I guess that's how it works but those 4 years make a difference when you're so young.

• Love 7

I liked Lilly and predict she'll win the whole tournament. It's not that she knows so much, although she does, it's that she's quick on the buzzer. The Yeshiva kid was pressing his buzzer like mad...too late.

And...his...pauses...were...

I KNEW y'all would go bonkers over "so" (heh!)

Me to Mr. Author: "The J! forum will go bonkers over 'so'."

Mr. A: "So?"

• Love 6

With respect to "So" I don't know how I would react under the lights and pressure of actually being on Jeopardy! particularly as a college student.  

Board jumping post DD is a bit irksome and I don't like it either. I don't mind if you are trying to run out the clock by picking low value clues. 

As for Numbers, I saw the word Sum in the clue. That should have been a big hint, but I can see guessing Exodus though.  

• Love 3

My mother is convinced that the powers that be tailor the categories and final jeopardy clues to favor particular contestants. I won't go that far, but I did enjoy that the Old Testament Bible FJ came up for Netanel. Hope he makes it as a wildcard. I hate board jumping. Disrupts the flow of the game and those who practice it (looking at you, Lilly) are smartasses. Felt bad for the SF State freshman. Bad luck of the draw in the first round. 

• Love 5

I noticed that the two young men were going to the top of the categories in the DJ round. It was mostly Lilly who picked randomly.  I knew she would annoy posters here:)

I know I got several ts's but didn't write them down.  I said Deuteronomy for FJ with no hope whatsoever that it was right.

I think Netanel's score of $20,000 is pretty sure to get him into the semi-finals.

• Love 3

I officially hate Lilly and really, really want her to lose in the semis.  So of course she'll probably win the whole thing, because that's usually how it works for me.

I was momentarily lost on FJ, but then I zeroed in on the word "sum" in the clue and guessed "Numbers".  Pretty surprised that was right, given how unfamiliar I am with the Bible.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I disliked Lilly so much that I turned off the show mid first round and deleted it.  Good to hear she didn't win.

She did win.

I don't get why so many people disliked Lilly - I liked her!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

She did win.

I don't get why so many people disliked Lilly - I liked her!

I didn't like her because she had no personality, she daily double hunted and jumped all over the board.  Plus, I'm always suspicious of any contestant who's that much quicker on the buzzer than the others.  (I know how it works, and am sure it's not fixed but it bugs me anyway.)

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Today's FJ (an instaget if there ever was one--STELLA): My thought is that the kid who won knew he bet $0, so it didn't matter, so he gave a shout-out to some friend of his (Toole).

He probably meant John Kennedy Toole.

• Love 5