Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I had some ts's but didn't write them down - the only one I remember is upsilon/epsilon.

I didn't either. I was too busy rooting for Cindy and hoping she'd buzz in..  I was thrilled when she got Santiago.and went big to cover Tim's bet. Such an inspirational woman.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I did get FJ but only because of all the news about Castro's funeral.

I just couldn't remember the name of the city his funeral procession went to.

I think I got two TSs: Little Drummer Boy and Blue Ridge Mountains. Maybe there was another, but I'm not sure.

Before watching, I was assuming Cindy lost the game, so this was a very pleasant surprise. Good for her. Of course I was rooting for her and will continue to root for her. How inspiring.

• Love 3

One of my condo board members is out of town, two others are sick...so tonight's meeting was cancelled and I got to stay home & watch.  I, too, got weepy when she won. I'm so glad I could watch tonight. I wonder how long she remains champ. I don't know if I can stand my being so bluesy watching Jeopardy! every night.

Thank you, Cindy.

• Love 4

Their pain must be very raw right now but I hope her loved ones found some joy in watching Cindy's great showing, it not now necessarily, then soon.  And I hope they find comfort in the fact that a bunch of strangers like us have been moved so much by this.

• Love 11

I'm so happy it wasn't somehow spoiled that Cindy won! That made it that much more inspiring for me.

The dude in the middle got on my nerves with his series of bad guesses. I barely noticed Tim at all.

I was in Cuba last April so FJ was an instaget.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I missed most of the episode and only saw Final Jeopardy.  Was there some sort of notice about Cindy at the beginning of the episode?  And what did Alex talk to her about  during the interview segment?  Thanks.

No mention at all.  I suspect that the show will do some kind of "in memorium" after her last game. I hope she won a bunch!

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I missed most of the episode and only saw Final Jeopardy.  Was there some sort of notice about Cindy at the beginning of the episode?  And what did Alex talk to her about  during the interview segment?  Thanks.

In the interview segment she talked about how watching bad movies with her friends is one of her favorite pastimes, and cited Transformers and You Got Served as examples. I think she said they started in college, renting a projector and using a classroom.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

In the interview segment she talked about how watching bad movies with her friends is one of her favorite pastimes, and cited Transformers and You Got Served as examples. I think she said they started in college, renting a projector and using a classroom.

One of the answers was a movie which would've fit right in, but I can't remember the name of it right now.  (I just looked it up, and it was Red Dawn, in the No Stan Lee Cameo category.  Perfect.)

I knew FJ because I knew Santiago was from the Spanish for St. James.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

She really is amazing - the show is difficult to play enough when you are at 100% but she did so well when not at her best.  

Speaking from experience, I can assure you that there is a very real thing called "chemo brain".  Fuzzy and disorganized.  Sometimes I can't remember the name of someone I just spoke to!  Not sure she had been getting chemo, but I'm sure she was on some sort of meds which makes her win even more amazing.

13 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

The dude in the middle got on my nerves with his series of bad guesses. I barely noticed Tim at all.

When he said "The Iceman Cometh" instead of "The Postman Always Rings Twice" I almost died.  Seriously.  I know you get nervous and can just blurt out anything but...?

Edited by Albino
  • Love 12
53 minutes ago, Albino said:

Speaking from experience, I can assure you that there is a very real thing called "chemo brain".  Fuzzy and disorganized.  Sometimes I can't remember the name of someone I just spoke to!  Not sure she had been getting chemo, but I'm sure she was on some sort of meds which makes her win even more amazing.

I have a Jeopardy-related experience that I frequently use to explain to folks how real chemo brain is.  I've taken the Jeopardy online test five times.  I was invited to the audition four times (though once I was unable to attend).  The one time I was not invited -- when I took the test two weeks after my final chemo.  Dragging information out of my brain was like searching through mud.

That Cindy was able to win with all of her health problems is amazing. Imagine what a champion she could have been if she were healthy!

• Love 6

I was shocked that after Cindy said "little soldier boy" no one rang in to say "little drummer boy"! I got that, upsilon/epsilon, "The Postman Always Rings Twice", and some other TS I don't remember. I, too, expected Cindy to lose, due to the "her episode" airs Tuesday. Good for her!!!

• Love 6

I hate to pick on her, and I am glad she won (and won big!), but damn, I wish Cindy had started at the tops of the categories!  She did sometimes, but not always, and it always bugs me.  Again, I'm glad she won, but still.  I'm really glad Garrett didn't win, too.

I got Little Drummer Boy, Christmastime Is Here, Jimmy Carter, Blue Ridge Mountains, and The Postman Always Rings Twice.

I got distracted by something shiny when FJ was revealed, and couldn't come up with anything.

• Love 1

I went with Steinbeck for FJ because I knew Hemingway died in 1963 and Updike (another valid choice) died in the 1990's, as did my mother's guess of John Irving. Faulkner never even crossed my mind! So glad Cindy won again!!!

• Love 4

I guess my intense dislike of both Steinbeck and Hemingway led me to think of neither of them, and I blanked on FJ, as usual.

Edward should have gotten a BMS on Sutherland.  There are more than one!  It might have been Kit Sutherland!

Alex really needs to quit with the accents.  I'm not sure what exactly he was trying to do with the "Don't hate on the playa" category.

I managed to come up with Heart Of Darkness and caulk, but I don't remember any others that I got.

Glad Cindy won again, though I wouldn't have minded if the woman in the middle had won.  Edward was too enamored of starting in the middle of categories.

• Love 3

Another good, interesting game.  I was happy to see Cindy win again.

I also thought Edward should have been bms'd on Sutherland since Kiefer's father, Donald, is also an actor.

Only two ts's for me tonight, Argentina and caulk.

I did get FJ but I wasn't wholly confident it was Steinbeck. Hemingway never crossed my mind but I did think of Faulkner.

Re Cindy's neg on Apocalypse Now, DS tells me it was based on Heart of Darkness so they should have given it to her.  And to him too since he said Apocolypse Now also:)

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

Yay Cindy!  I was soooo rooting for her.

Obviously Alex has never been to New Orleans if he thinks men running around in red dresses in the French Quarter is weird.  

If they ever needed a BMS, it was for Sutherland.  It could have been Donald or any of his three sons - Angus, Rossif or Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus (how's that for a freaking name?).

I got Princess Caroline, caulk and $578.

Hooray!  I finally got FJ.  Hemingway never crossed my mind.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Obviously Alex has never been to New Orleans if he thinks men running around in red dresses in the French Quarter is weird. 

The weirdest part to me is that they do it in August. Too hot!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

If they ever needed a BMS, it was for Sutherland.  It could have been Donald or any of his three sons - Angus, Rossif or Kiefer William Frederick Dempsey George Rufus (how's that for a freaking name?).

Seriously. No BMS for Sutherland was nothing short of BS. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Edward should have gotten a BMS on Sutherland.  There are more than one!  It might have been Kit Sutherland!
I managed to come up with Heart Of Darkness and caulk, but I don't remember any others that I got.

That Sutherland answer demanded a BMS.
I was surprised that AT didn't mention that Cindy's answer of Apocalypse Now was on the right track, but was the movie adaptation of 'Heart of Darkness'.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm just starting and trying not to focus on the sadness so I will only say I think that Edward might be the hottest astronomer I have ever seen.

I liked his red jacket.   Very cool.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

I went with Steinbeck for FJ because I knew Hemingway died in 1963 and Updike (another valid choice) died in the 1990's, as did my mother's guess of John Irving. Faulkner never even crossed my mind!

I said Hemingway even though I was pretty sure he had died in the early 60's. If not him, I thought, it was Faulkner. Oh well.

For TSs, I got Heart of Darkness and caulk. Maybe something else. :shrug:

Glad Cindy won again. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Re Cindy's neg on Apocalypse Now, DS tells me it was based on Heart of Darkness so they should have given it to her.  And to him too since he said Apocolypse Now also:)

As the saying goes, it's a slippery slope - do that and then you have to accept West Side Story for Romeo & Juliet.

I got Steinbeck. I was pretty sure Hemingway had died long before '68. Steinbeck was my favorite author when I was a lit major back in the day. I didn't even think of Faulkner.

I'm glad Cindy won again.

• Love 5

For whatever reason, I thought The Catcher in the Rye came out around that time, so I guessed Salinger for FJ, never mind that the book came out a decade earlier, and Salinger didn't die until 2010.  I also said Apocalypse Now forgetting the "literary" part of the category title.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

I went with Steinbeck for FJ because I knew Hemingway died in 1963 and Updike (another valid choice) died in the 1990's, as did my mother's guess of John Irving. Faulkner never even crossed my mind! So glad Cindy won again!!!

I answered Hemingway, and when that was wrong, I thought "Fitzgerald".  Never even considered Steinbeck.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Edward should have gotten a BMS on Sutherland.  There are more than one!  It might have been Kit Sutherland

Or Carson Sutherland.

14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Hell, they do that red dress race, or something very similar, in Baltimore of all places.  One of our assistant state's attorneys did it last year.

I got a lot of the triple stumpers, although not the math one.  Math questions are not fair (says the person who never tipped 15% because she couldn't do the math).

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

BMS = Be More Specific, so in the case of a person, giving the first name rather than just the last to differentiate between several possible responses.

And yes, a triple stumper is one that none of the contestants get correct, sometimes abbreviated TS.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

Thank you, Dish Network, for not believing me when I said I needed a new receiver, not just a new HDMI cable, so that I couldn't watch Cindy win again, but I'm glad she did!  And now when I finally get to see the game, I'll be a genius, having read all your correct answers in advance.

And I can't wait to find out what the clue was that elicited "caulk" as a triple stumper. "I'll take Sloppy Sealants for $400, Alex"?

Is Previously assigning alphabet avatars to everyone who doesn't have an avatar?  Just noticing all these new letters.

Edited by Mondrianyone
Puzzlement
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Is Previously assigning alphabet avatars to everyone who doesn't have an avatar?  Just noticing all these new letters.

I just noticed that this morning - I think it looks very nice.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, illdoc said:

Just to nitpick (sorry), Updike died in 2009 and John Irving is very much alive.  And I'm also so glad Cindy won!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Just to nitpick (sorry), Updike died in 2009 and John Irving is very much alive.  And I'm also so glad Cindy won!

Sorry! I knew Updike died well past 1968 and personal sorry to John Irving who I could have sworn was dead. That's what I get for trusting my memory and not looking up facts.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

It seems kind of like the google docs thing, where they just take the first letter of your name and make it colourful.

19 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

You're all so much better than I am at guessing. I was sure the answer to FJ was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 

Well, he was all I could come up with, but I was positive I was wrong. I just did the math and was thinking of Americans who died in 1968. Martin Luther King Jr and Robert F Kennedy were the only two people I could think of. I knew RFK had written a book or two but non-fiction and definitely never got a Nobel prize. I also highly doubted MLK would have won a Nobel prize in literature, but I couldn't come up with anything else.

I really don't do well in author categories, especially if the clue references more than twenty years ago.

• Love 2

I did not get Mad Men even though I love that freaking show but in my defense I came into it late so did not make the connection that it started in 2006.

"Tom Mix wept."  None of these girls saw Tombstone?!?

• Love 4

I've never seen Mad Men, so I had no idea for FJ -- again, as usual.  I'm glad Cindy won again, but I did like the woman on the end.  She reminded me of someone, but I just can't figure out who.

I was surprised that LBJ was a TS!  Also American Automobile Association, though I suppose if you think it's "Automotive" then automobile wouldn't occur to you.  I also got High Life and Wyatt Earp (and sad that they all missed that one).

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was surprised that LBJ was a TS!  Also American Automobile Association, though I suppose if you think it's "Automotive" then automobile wouldn't occur to you.  I also got High Life and Wyatt Earp (and sad that they all missed that one).

As for Wyatt Earp, I didn't realize he was alive that long, but still got it. 

Good for Cindy! :)

• Love 4

I'm so happy Cindy won, again!!  You go, girl!  This made my whole day.  I was afraid Sara might win.  She lost me totally when she started her interview with "Yeah, so..."

I got LBJ, American Automobile Association, 1,001 Nights and Wyatt Earp.

I love Mad Men, and have watched it eleventy billion times.  Sadly, it didn't help me with FJ.

• Love 6

Well, that was an exciting FJ (I guessed 30 Rock like one of the contestants). Seriously, we are watching such strength from this woman. The next time I have one of my migraines and I feel like I can't even manage to feed the pets, I'm going to tell myself, "Oh stop being such a whiny wimp! Cindy wouldn't be!" 

I get misty-eyed each time she wins.

• Love 12

Kudos to Cindy for pulling out the win!

I said 30 Rock for FJ with absolutely no confidence.  I thought it was probably some sort of news show so I was surprised that it was Mad Men.

I'm not sure who Sara looked like - she reminded me of a Breck Girl from the 1950's.  She was ever so cute.

I did get some ts's but didn't write them down...I was about to say Wyatt Earp but Mr.Trey beat me to it - he's seen Tombstone, probably several times:)

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Trey said:

I was about to say Wyatt Earp but Mr.Trey beat me to it - he's seen Tombstone, probably several times:)

Good for him!  Blurting out random Tombstone quotes is a popular pasttime in the mojo household.

I get so nervous watching Cindy because I feel like there are times when she is so uncomfortable and in such pain.  I also wonder if she is on prednisone and if so that makes me feel for her too.

If she gets to five days I will cry so hard.

• Love 6