Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: The Countess Bride

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, breezy424 said:

From Carole's Blog:

I just want to say that from an early age, my parents instilled in me the values that you work hard for want you want in life; that your word is your bond; that you do what you say you will do and you treat people with respect. That includes Housewives too!

I set out to build a life guided by these principals because I want other peoples children in our nation to know that the only limit to their achievements is the strength of their dreams and their willingness to work for them. One day if they work hard and dream big, they too may achieve greatness as a reality star or even a reality star/President.

Good thing her grandma didn't raise her because good ol' grandma instilled that shoplifting was how you got things that you want in life.

I think I need to re-read her book because nuggets like that keep popping back into my brain.  IIRC, back in Suffern, grandma encouraged young Carole and her cousins to shoplift from the local five and dime. It was a pastime she proudly talked about. Anyone else remember that?

She's a 'writer'?  You work hard for want you want?  Other peoples children?  Lazy or high? 

I vote, ghostwriter.

• Love 6

She's a 'writer'?  You work hard for want you want?  Other peoples children?  Lazy or high? 

She also misspelled "principles".

Anyone else remember that?

I recall something about the kids stealing from the neighbor's garden, but the five and dime could've been included, as well.  (I definitely remember the part about her grandma hiding meat underneath her boobs, as that's a pretty unforgettable image.)

• Love 4

Boy, any Melania ref went way past me. Almost sounded to me like she's giving an Ivanka rah-rahTrump speech.  Ugh, guess I just can't stand her outta control butt munching or her sense of humor (whatever there is of it) lately.

And yeah, her humor is totally based on a condescending I'm-up-here-&-you're-down-there, ain't-I-so-grand kinda thing.  Really hate it.  Not even Lu does that.

Oh Carole, what is your life now?  Butt munching Bethenny & Satan Andy, & rolling your eyes at the passive Cheffy boy, while he's gettin' stoned on your ratty leopard couch?  Ooh, real hard work, hun.

• Love 6

There's a part of me that feels somewhat sorry for Ramona.  I truly believe she's still grieving over the end of her marriage.  I think the weight gain (body still looks good though), the ridiculous hair extensions, and her general persona this year is all Mario-related.  I think she's trying to look young through the extensions and she's trying to put forth this carefree peacemaker as if to show Mario that she's happy without him.  But it feels so forced.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

She never said she was an editor. In her second paragraph, she's clearly making a meta joke about Milana Trump plagiarizing Michelle Obama.

I don't always like Carole, but for the most part I get her sense of humor. Jules' sense of humor, on the other hand, is an immense mystery to me. The joke about lighting a match was decently funny. If the question about wiping direction was intended as a joke, I think it fell extremely flat. I find that Jules' worst jokes suggest that she's grotesquely incompetent or unbalanced. She's doing herself no favors joking like that. However if she had turned to the potty training consultant and said "I'm paying you a thousand bucks a day. Are you going to teach her how to use the three seashells?" I would have died laughing.

I'm sorry I'm completely lost. Is she supposed to use seashells to wipe her cootch coo?

• Love 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

I'm sorry I'm completely lost. Is she supposed to use seashells to wipe her cootch coo?

It's a reference to a Sylvester Stallone movie, Demolition Man. Stallone plays a present day police officer who is cryogenically frozen and later re-awakened in the future. When he goes to use the futuristic bathroom, he finds 3 seashells instead of toilet paper. It's a running gag that he doesn't know how the 3 seashells work. The movie doesn't explain how the 3 seashells work either.

It's also a 20 year internet joke because people have a ton of theories about to use the 3 seashells.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/demolition-man/241978/demolition-man-the-origins-of-the-three-sea-shells-revealed

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2

I'm not a fan of Stallone movies either, but for some reason I love this goofy movie. It's got Sandra Bullock, Benjamin Bratt, Wesley Snipes, and Dennis Leary. I love the joke that the oldies station is just commercial jingles, that every restaurant is a Taco Bell, and that Schwarzenegger was President.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

I drove with a friend to Vegas from El Lay.

Right past Barstow and into the desert, my pal announced he had to go to the bathroom. I asked him to wait and 10 miles later?

He again announced he had to REALLY GO TO THE HEAD. I drove onward and finally found a place where he could do his business.

When I pulled over, he opened the door, took one step out and said that he had no toilet paper.

I asked him if he had any money in his pocket - he said, "YES".

I then told him to use a dollar and off he went.

He disappeared for a few minutes and appeared with one hand in the air, flipping it upward and downward as he walked back to the car.

When he got in, he asked me for a paper towel, He had shit all over his hand.

I asked him why he had shit on his hand when I told him to use a dollar to clean his ass.

He looked at me and said, "I used a dollar, the first three quarters were OK, I got into trouble when I used the nickel and two dimes......'

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

It's a reference to a Sylvester Stallone movie, Demolition Man. Stallone plays a present day police officer who is cryogenically frozen and later re-awakened in the future. When he goes to use the futuristic bathroom, he finds 3 seashells instead of toilet paper. It's a running gag that he doesn't know how the 3 seashells work. The movie doesn't explain how the 3 seashells work either.

It's also a 20 year internet joke because people have a ton of theories about to use the 3 seashells.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/demolition-man/241978/demolition-man-the-origins-of-the-three-sea-shells-revealed

Thank you so much for this explanation (such as it is)!  Never saw the movie, so I had no idea what the reference was.  And weirdly enough, I was watching The Kitchen on Food Network last week, and in their dopey crafts segment one of the hosts made a salt-and-pepper cellar with three seashells and a glue gun.  And all I could think was that two worlds were colliding in a way that made absolutely no sense.  Or that people were secretly using salt and pepper to clean up in the bathroom.  Or that I'd had a mini-stroke.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Boy, any Melania ref went way past me. Almost sounded to me like she's giving an Ivanka rah-rahTrump speech.  Ugh, guess I just can't stand her outta control butt munching or her sense of humor (whatever there is of it) lately.

The problem with Carole, for me, is I think she's intelligent but not particularly funny. The issue is that she likes to make a lot of jokes and they often just fall on their faces. Like this one.

Speaking of humor. I don't get Jules' "humor" and "jokes" at all. Between the potty jokes and the calzone "joke", I wish she would just stop trying to be funny. She might be a nice person, but I couldn't stand to be around her for longer than 20 minutes. 

Discovering Dorinda's past life as a Step instructor was the highlight of an otherwise dull episode for me. 

Edited by Otherkate
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

There's a part of me that feels somewhat sorry for Ramona.  I truly believe she's still grieving over the end of her marriage.  I think the weight gain (body still looks good though), the ridiculous hair extensions, and her general persona this year is all Mario-related.  I think she's trying to look young through the extensions and she's trying to put forth this carefree peacemaker as if to show Mario that she's happy without him.  But it feels so forced.

Much like Ramona using her childhood as an excuse for her bad behavior Seasons 1-6, now it is her marriage and divorce.  Ramona has such a cavalier way of treating men, "dating and skating", get serious about no one for six months and date a lot of men.  I think Ramona was in love with the idea of having a good looking husband, not in love with marriage.  (A little play on Ramona's words about Luann and love.)  Ramona liked to be able to lord over people her marriage and how much better it was than anyone else's.  So when Mario pulled the plug I believe she is bemoaning her self anointed superiority in the marriage department.  

Perhaps if Ramona had not been such an ass to Luann during, and after her marriage there would be room for sympathy for Ramona.   http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-2/videos/ramona-vs-the-countess  Then when she finally announced she was divorcing and moving on: http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-3/videos/not-wanting-to-go-to-ramonas  These comments were over Luann rejecting an invitation to Ramona's because Ramona, lying, cheating, arrogant husband had called Luann "Countless", in front of a group of people. 

Of course here is Mario celebrating Heather taking Ramona to the Berkshires.  http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-6/videos/heather-plans-an-rhony-ladies-trip

Then there was this charming moment when Mario was singing and what Ramona had to say to Luann.  http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-6/videos/a-sing-off-ramonas-peeved-at-luann  (Luann did sing later, and it was well known the issue was Bravo did not want to pay royalties for "Big Spender".)  Even Josh Flagg from Million Dollar Listing was there and talked about it. 

I think it is very sweet you have sympathy for her, after eight seasons of Ramona's nonsense and rudeness I just cant work up any.

• Love 9
On July 21, 2016 at 11:23 AM, tumamita said:

Have we figured out if Luann's engagement is a real thing or not!?

Good question, because while I was watching her gush, I kept thinking is she acting, because it seems so forced... But then again this in my first year watching so this just might be how she acts all the time... Scripted. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, RachelRhae73 said:

Good question, because while I was watching her gush, I kept thinking is she acting, because it seems so forced... But then again this in my first year watching so this just might be how she acts all the time... Scripted. 

Here she is this weekend with Tom. . .apparently she gushes when she is in love. See the Luann special, she acted the same with the Count. 

• Love 4

Good for Lu Ann, I did watch the Lu Ann special and saw her talk about the Count, it just felt more genuine, though I thought it was pretty crass what she did to her live in lover.

But as someone mentioned a few pages back, men are drawn to Lu Ann, her attitude, confidence and comfort in her sexuality are a turn on for men.

i have a family member who is like Lu on a smaller scale (smaller as she's never been with  a count or a millionaire) but never the less since she was seventeen years old she's attracted men young & old and they've spent money on her, taken her on vacations, and even bought a home for her & her children , but sooner or later she grows bored and falls for a new great love... But the old loves will take her back.

When I was a young girl I was jealous, because we were close in age & the boys heavily leaned in her favor , but as I got older I became adamant that I would never depend on a man for anything and while still single, I'm much happier being my own woman than depending on a mans wallet.

sorry that was off topic, my General ramblings were basically to say since I started watching this season  & LU reminds me of that family member right down to the smokey voice. 

But I hold no ill regard to Lu everyone has choices in life, I follow my head, where others follow their heart and that's cool as long as it's not hurting anyone else.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Much like Ramona using her childhood as an excuse for her bad behavior Seasons 1-6, now it is her marriage and divorce.  Ramona has such a cavalier way of treating men, "dating and skating", get serious about no one for six months and date a lot of men.  I think Ramona was in love with the idea of having a good looking husband, not in love with marriage.  (A little play on Ramona's words about Luann and love.)  Ramona liked to be able to lord over people her marriage and how much better it was than anyone else's.  So when Mario pulled the plug I believe she is bemoaning her self anointed superiority in the marriage department.  

I think the problem is the inability to distinguish 'dating' from 'going out'?

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Perhaps if Ramona had not been such an ass to Luann during, and after her marriage there would be room for sympathy for Ramona.   http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-2/videos/ramona-vs-the-countess  Then when she finally announced she was divorcing and moving on: http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-3/videos/not-wanting-to-go-to-ramonas  These comments were over Luann rejecting an invitation to Ramona's because Ramona, lying, cheating, arrogant husband had called Luann "Countless", in front of a group of people. 

Of course here is Mario celebrating Heather taking Ramona to the Berkshires.  http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-6/videos/heather-plans-an-rhony-ladies-trip

Then there was this charming moment when Mario was singing and what Ramona had to say to Luann.  http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-6/videos/a-sing-off-ramonas-peeved-at-luann  (Luann did sing later, and it was well known the issue was Bravo did not want to pay royalties for "Big Spender".)  Even Josh Flagg from Million Dollar Listing was there and talked about it. 

I think it is very sweet you have sympathy for her, after eight seasons of Ramona's nonsense and rudeness I just cant work up any.

Ha, all good points!

• Love 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, Otherkate said:

The problem with Carole, for me, is I think she's intelligent but not particularly funny. The issue is that she likes to make a lot of jokes and they often just fall on their faces. Like this one.

Speaking of humor. I don't get Jules' "humor" and "jokes" at all. Between the potty jokes and the calzone "joke", I wish she would just stop trying to be funny. She might be a nice person, but I couldn't stand to be around her for longer than 20 minutes. 

Discovering Dorinda's past life as a Step instructor was the highlight of an otherwise dull episode for me. 

You know, what really bugs me about Carole's sense of humor is that she thinks she's just soooooo clever.  Meh, Carole, color me unimpressed.  You give me zero chuckles, laughs or giggles.

I miss seasons 1& 2 Bethenny.  Now that gal was a hoot and a half!  The Godzilla monster we're stuck with now?  Blech.  And when she isn't Godzilla, she bores the fuck outta me.

The only cute moment in this ep for me too was Dorinda as aerobics Barbie (well, sorta).

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

And yeah, her humor is totally based on a condescending I'm-up-here-&-you're-down-there, ain't-I-so-grand kinda thing.  Really hate it.  Not even Lu does that.

Oh Carole, what is your life now?  Butt munching Bethenny & Satan Andy, & rolling your eyes at the passive Cheffy boy, while he's gettin' stoned on your ratty leopard couch?  Ooh, real hard work, hun.

It was a joke. Her words were the words that M Trump used in her speech, which were the same words that M Obama used in her speech 8 years ago. Carole, who was accused of using a Ghosewriter, and not writing her own book, mocking M Trump who said she wrote a speech that she clearly did not. She said it was tongue in cheek and that not everyone would get her point. Her point being that there are bigger things going on in the world than HW nonsense. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, motorcitymom65 said:

It was a joke. Her words were the words that M Trump used in her speech, which were the same words that M Obama used in her speech 8 years ago. Carole, who was accused of using a Ghosewriter, and not writing her own book, mocking M Trump who said she wrote a speech that she clearly did not. She said it was tongue in cheek and that not everyone would get her point. Her point being that there are bigger things going on in the world than HW nonsense. 

Well yes there are much bigger things going on in the world. I watch,read,and decide for myself about politics. BUT I sure as hell don't watch Housewives for that! I want Shade, Tea, & Fights!!! Carole lost me at calling people Morons on Twitter. Just...Ugh. She thinks she's all high and mighty but she sure shows up on a reality tv show for her paycheck!

• Love 16

For those who explained Carole's bizarre arrogant blog of misspelled platitudes....why in the world is she doing a riff/parody of Melania Trump's speech that plagerized the First Lady? Is she trying to insinuate she's the inarticulate sycophantic  arm candy to a megalomaniac closed minded mogul? 

YES Carole I agree with the parallels you drew. 

• Love 7
Just now, motorcitymom65 said:

Gee and here I thought her point was to take a little stab at reality TV stars and one being the Republican nominee for president.  I guess we took away different things.  I did think it was fun to traipse out the third rendition of Michele Obama's speech.

The other point I guess I missed -is I never equated plagiarism with ghostwriting.  Melanie/and or her speech writer's lifted a portion of her speech from a Michelle Obama speech.  I don't think anyone ever accused Carole of plagiarism. Ghostwriting is having someone write something and giving official credit to another. Plagiarism is using someone else's work without attributed the quote to them.  As in, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself," as part of a speech.  The correct non-plagiarism way I to say, "in the immortal words of FDR, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

She lost my vote when she had to dumb it down and proclaim it was tongue in cheek. Duh.

• Love 11
On July 21, 2016 at 5:42 PM, LilaFowler said:

Sonja, you have fucked every man --married, single, old, young, rich, penniless-- in NYC so stop acting so shocked when one of them ends up with a friend.  She is so mad that she was an easy lay for Tom for a decade and never got so much as a call the next day, but Luann has known him for 5 seconds and got a ring.  So petty to talk about her ring and call it murky.  What a bitch.  She is so jealous she can't even see straight.

Amen to that.  Sonja talking about "Luann got blah, blah, blah and I have blah, blah, blah."  Sonja, Tom wasn't the marrying type with YOU.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

I have questioned how "close" and/or how "well" Ramona/Dorinda knew each other before Dorinda joined the show and this clips reminds me why I doubted their story. In it, Ramona claims she doesn't "know anyone" that vacations in the Berks, no one! LOL Of course, the very next season when Dorinda joined the show the Berks became acceptable as a vacation/summer destination in Ramona's opinion.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I gotta say, I thought Carole looked her best all season (possibly all HW seasons) at that dinner.

She did look nice.  I actually think she looks the best in her talking head where her hair is noticeably shorter and slightly wavy.  She either got a good trim or took some extension out.  Either way, her hair looks great in those scenes.

2 hours ago, RachelRhae73 said:

Yeah, she never really acted that way with her long-term/live-in boyfriend Jacques.  At least not that I recall.  She actually seemed rather low-key about that relationship.  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

She did look nice.  I actually think she looks the best in her talking head where her hair is noticeably shorter and slightly wavy.  She either got a good trim or took some extension out.  Either way, her hair looks great in those scenes.

Yeah, she never really acted that way with her long-term/live-in boyfriend Jacques.  At least not that I recall.  She actually seemed rather low-key about that relationship.  

Remember Luann singing to him with Natalie Cole?  She was pretty giddy. Luann when she is with a man, makes him the center of attention.  I always thought Jacques a bit of a twit, but Luann was attentive to him.  Sonja was the one who had the meltdown over him.   It just took them all of Season 6 to break up.  So original Jacques end of Season 3 and ending Jacques kind of told a different story.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

Except for the one time Luanne brought up her eggs that neither Daenerys Stormborn nor the Jurrassic Park scientists could bring life to

• Love 10

I think Luann is getting a little of her own prognosticating  thrown back at her.  When Sonja was trying to sell Harry Dubin, Luann wasn't buying it and even mentioned Sonja dating other guys.

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-6/blogs/luann-de-lesseps/luann-i-sing-when-i-feel-like

By the time Sonja had made up the story about Luann leaving Carole's party with

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-6/blogs/luann-de-lesseps/luann-sonja-only-has-herself-to

43 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I think the ladies are more flabbergasted than jealous. Luann and Tom remind me of Amal and George. Nobody thought George would ever give anyone a ring. And yet, there he is, building a life with Amal as a married couple. I wonder if the women from his past reacted like the women on RHNY? I think it is terrific that Luann is able to make these decisions quickly and go for it. 

Maybe because Sonja and Ramona make up boyfriends, they assume Luann does as well.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

She did look nice.  I actually think she looks the best in her talking head where her hair is noticeably shorter and slightly wavy.  She either got a good trim or took some extension out.  Either way, her hair looks great in those scenes.\

Agree on Carole.  Of course, I personally think women of a certain age look better with their hair a little shorter rather than longer.  Shoulder length, slightly below shoulder length is a good look.  I mean, all you need to do is look at Ramona and that hair/extensions and see that it drags a face down, no matter how plumped up it might be with fillers.

Aviva is a perfect example of it to me.  Even though her face looks way plumped up with fillers, I love her hair like this as opposed to her former mermaid hair.rhony-100-avivia.jpg

• Love 9

I don't know why there are still guesses as to whether or not Jules was joking when she mentioned wiping directions.  If you look at her body language, it's really obvious she was joking.  When she said that she was eagerly leaning into Mary Ploppins, just waiting to see what she would say to her statement.  I do agree it was poor humor.

I wanted to say something else but I've now forgotten.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

Gee and here I thought her point was to take a little stab at reality TV stars and one being the Republican nominee for president.  I guess we took away different things.  I did think it was fun to traipse out the third rendition of Michele Obama's speech.

The other point I guess I missed -is I never equated plagiarism with ghostwriting.  Melanie/and or her speech writer's lifted a portion of her speech from a Michelle Obama speech.  I don't think anyone ever accused Carole of plagiarism. Ghostwriting is having someone write something and giving official credit to another. Plagiarism is using someone else's work without attributed the quote to them.  As in, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself," as part of a speech.  The correct non-plagiarism way I to say, "in the immortal words of FDR, the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

She lost my vote when she had to dumb it down and proclaim it was tongue in cheek. Duh.

Thanks. I understand the difference between the two. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

Except for the one time Luanne brought up her eggs that neither Daenerys Stormborn nor the Jurrassic Park scientists could bring life to

Fire, she has to jump into the fire first, THEN shit happens.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

Fire, she has to jump into the fire first, THEN shit happens.

Fire not possible with Luanne's built in sprinkler system.

With the former crab situation, does feeling like she had fire crotch count?

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Wow, I completely didn't get that & I watched Melania's speech & have been following a ton of the political coverage -- and I still didn't get this "joke".  Oy, lame, Carole.  And if she was taking a shot at Melania, it was a cheap shot, considering that stuff was the fault of an ineffective speechwriter & reflective of a weak campaign.

I thought her crummy "joke" was something about Trump & it was coming outta left field.  Sheesh, I watch this show exactly because it has absolutely nothing to do with politics.  I want it kept that way.  So STFU about this shit, Carole -- I'd actually rather hear (& read) your bullshit & babble about how Bethenny is such a wonderful & nice gal & you 2 are such true palsy-walsies.  Well, I kinda would.  Eh, I don't especially wanna hear or read about that crap either.  The truth is I'm really fuckin' sick of your shit, Carole.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Thanks. I understand the difference between the two. 

I guess it was unclear in your post.  Because I don't think Carole would every want to be accused of plagiarism-nor has anyone accused her of such a thing-well until your post equating ghostwriting and plagiarism.  No one accused Melania Trump of having her speech ghostwritten-the speech writers have all been identified and taken various levels of responsibility for the portions of the speech that were clearly plagiarized. I just saw Carole poking fun at Donald Trump reality star-as in one day a reality star could become president.  Since she said as much and never said anything about RH nonsense or the ranking importance of events in the world. I guess I am one of those 'say what you mean and mean what you say", types.  Credit anonymous for the quote. 

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

I guess it was unclear in your post.  Because I don't think Carole would every want to be accused of plagiarism-nor has anyone accused her of such a thing-well until your post equating ghostwriting and plagiarism.  No one accused Melania Trump of having her speech ghostwritten-the speech writers have all been identified and taken various levels of responsibility for the portions of the speech that were clearly plagiarized. I just saw Carole poking fun at Donald Trump reality star-as in one day a reality star could become president.  Since she said as much and never said anything about RH nonsense or the ranking importance of events in the world. I guess I am one of those 'say what you mean and mean what you say", types.  Credit anonymous for the quote. 

But that is what is great about the blogs or the shows. Everyone takes away something different based on their perspective.  She said she was trying to be funny, and some people will get it/like it, while some people won't. Some will like it simply because it's different and shows that the gal is aware of actual things going on in the world that don't involve the frivolous. Others will wish that she kept it light and checked her politics at the door (although clearly we know all about her politics because she has already told us). At the end of the day, I suspect that if you like her, you like her blog - regardless of what she is trying to say - and if you don't like her you don't like her blog. Or probably anything about her. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/24/2016 at 10:41 AM, jaync said:

She also misspelled "principles".

I recall something about the kids stealing from the neighbor's garden, but the five and dime could've been included, as well.  (I definitely remember the part about her grandma hiding meat underneath her boobs, as that's a pretty unforgettable image.)

Nice catch on 'principles'.  I didn't even notice that because of the other things that stood out to me.  Here's her whole blog:

I would like to thank the fans for tuning in this week when there is a much better reality show playing in Cleveland. So I’ll keep this short.

I just want to say that from an early age, my parents instilled in me the values that you work hard for want you want in life; that your word is your bond; that you do what you say you will do and you treat people with respect. That includes Housewives too!

I set out to build a life guided by these principals because I want other peoples children in our nation to know that the only limit to their achievements is the strength of their dreams and their willingness to work for them. One day if they work hard and dream big, they too may achieve greatness as a reality star or even a reality star/President. 

PS. I know a majority of people understand humor but for the few who don’t (incl. Housewives who may or may not read my blogs) – tongue-in-cheek.

I was the one who originally posted a part of her blog.  Heck, it was most of her blog.  Maybe I didn't explain myself fully.  I did know that she was 'trying' to 'jump off' the RNC.  She says that by mentioning Cleveland.  What I didn't get was her attempt to be clever and.... as a writer her lack of editing of a simple blog:  You work hard for want you want.  'Peoples' children (in that contest, it would be possessive).  BTW, neither Mrs. Obama nor Mrs. Trump said 'peoples'.  And then Sasha noticed 'principals'. 

If you want to be clever, arrogant, better than, and condescending as Carole tends to do at times on the show as well as social media, then make sure your words and grammar are correct.  Otherwise you look kind of foolish.

I do sometimes like Carole's blogs, especially her first season when the theme was 'housewife rules' but this one is just trying too hard.  It fell flat just like Jules putting things in her calzone. 

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

But that is what is great about the blogs or the shows. Everyone takes away something different based on their perspective.  She said she was trying to be funny, and some people will get it/like it, while some people won't. Some will like it simply because it's different and shows that the gal is aware of actual things going on in the world that don't involve the frivolous. Others will wish that she kept it light and checked her politics at the door (although clearly we know all about her politics because she has already told us). At the end of the day, I suspect that if you like her, you like her blog - regardless of what she is trying to say - and if you don't like her you don't like her blog. Or probably anything about her. 

Yeah, I mean I think Carole was just poking fun at how ridiculous it is that the Real Housewives are so famous.  You know?  As in by ironically associating her required Bravo blog (we must feed the fans our thoughts) to the I Have a Dream speech, to the speeches of first ladies.  I thought it was kind of funny.  And I'm not a Carole fan.  

• Love 7
(edited)
27 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Nice catch on 'principles'.  I didn't even notice that because of the other things that stood out to me.  Here's her whole blog:

I would like to thank the fans for tuning in this week when there is a much better reality show playing in Cleveland. So I’ll keep this short.

PS. I know a majority of people understand humor but for the few who don’t (incl. Housewives who may or may not read my blogs) – tongue-in-cheek.

I do sometimes like Carole's blogs, especially her first season when the theme was 'housewife rules' but this one is just trying too hard.  It fell flat just like Jules putting things in her calzone. 

Good comparison.  Jules at times is a little off center with her humor.  Carole at times tries to be too literate.  I am glad she stopped taking Middle East unrest players and comparing them to RH situations.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

Wait so basically Carole condescends some more with the PS and explaining of her joke by expressing that for those who won't get it are those that don't understand humor. What in the what???!!! No sweetie YOU don't understand humor cause one of the biggest and more obvious facts about humor is that if you have to explain the humor then ummmm NOT funny. I really can't stand this woman. She's so condescending while using idiotic means. How are you Dopey from the seven dwarfs but try to come for Doc? Like that is who she is... A Dopey in sheeps extensions. I can't with her.

'

• Love 8
On 7/23/2016 at 10:55 AM, ButterQueen said:

Beth, you are a big girl.  You don't need your assistant to hand you your meds like you are a child.  

Or like a senior citizen with dwindling competency. Those cups are exactly the way they gave my zia her meds in the home once they realized she couldn't be trusted to take them on schedule anymore. She was 95+ at the time, though, so I don't know what Bethenny's excuse is. 

On 7/23/2016 at 5:06 PM, tenativelyyours said:

I'm fine with yellow diamonds in the right setting.  My grandmother has a pair of yellow diamond earrings that I think every daughter, grand-daughter and even a few of us grandsons look at in a bit of covetousness. good sized and good clarity but what sets them off is they are set with purple sapphires which really highlights both colors.  They also come with a legendary curse but actually has never panned out.

I'm sorry, this is off topic and I don't care because I'm going to need to hear this legendary curse story, pretty please? 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

Jesus.  That huge, scary Aviva pic will haunt my dreams tonight!  That is one tight face.  It almost looks like plastic.

This is awful, but the first thing I noticed (after realizing it was Aviva, which took a second) was that the texture of her face is similar to the texture of a prosthetic limb.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Yours Truly said:

Wait so basically Carole condescends some more with the PS and explaining of her joke by expressing that for those who won't get it are those that don't understand humor. What in the what???!!! No sweetie YOU don't understand humor cause one of the biggest and more obvious facts about humor is that if you have to explain the humor then ummmm NOT funny. I really can't stand this woman. She's so condescending while using idiotic means. How are you Dopey from the seven dwarfs but try to come for Doc? Like that is who she is... A Dopey in sheeps extensions. I can't with her.

'

I both do and don't agree. Not about Carole, but about humor in general. It is one of those tropes that if you have to explain a joke then the joke isn't funny. However, some people don't have the background or experiences to find certain jokes funny or funny in the way that the person telling the joke intended. I just think about Dave Chappelle and how disturbed he was when certain people keyed in on the racist aspects of his comedy and missed the part where he was skewering racism and stereotypes. Humor is subjective and many people aren't attuned to find certain things funny and in those situations, you might have to explain a joke.

For example, my family has this very dark joke about my niece who has a brain tumor. A couple of months ago, my eldest brother emailed me, my siblings, and my parents to let us know that my niece, his daughter, had a brain tumor, they were having some testing done, and he'd keep us updated. And then we never heard from him again about her prognosis. If you asked him, he'd be willfully obtuse. You'd ask how she was and he'd reply that she's a the grocery store with her mom or at the movies. You couldn't pry the info from him. You didn't want to ask my niece because she's the poor kid dealing with it. My brother has this narrative that no one in our family supports or is there for him, but he's oblivious to the barriers he puts up to having a good relationship with us. I live closest to him. Periodically my parents or other siblings will ask me if I've heard anything about her prognosis and I'll reply "No, but I'm sure I'll find out 15 minutes before her funeral." It's a dark joke, but you'd really need to know my family dynamics to understand where I'm coming from. It's not a joke about my niece dying, but a joke about what a withholding dipshit my brother is.

P.S. they are trying to manage it with medication because it's operable, but the prognosis for surgery isn't great. One of my other brothers ended up asking my niece.

• Love 5
On 7/20/2016 at 11:05 PM, Petunia13 said:

I think colored stones for engagement rings are chic. I love when people have an emerald or sapphire or something with a hint of edge. My ring was a boring cookie cutter one -a white diamond 1 carat princess cut. But it really is the thought that counts, I would never dream of snarking on someone's ring but I'm not a gold digger or pressed like Sonya. I think she's realizing her window is closing if she wants a sugar daddy or to be a trophy wife. 

Is $2,000 the going rate to potty train a toddler? I guess it depends on how many mornings and afternoons you have to be there for however many weeks which would interfere with holding a normie job in expensive ass Manhattan. I always think back to Heath Ledger as the Joker's line in the Dark Knight when it comes to negotiation. "If you're good at something, never do it for free." I interpret it as if you kick ass at something and they obviously want/need that ability, ask for as much as you want shamelessly. The worst they can do is counter the number or say no. Which they probably won't. But the high number will influence them into thinking you're worth it when it comes to those kind of odd jobs. 

I think that "window" closed a long long time ago for sonja

• Love 5