Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BringItOn said:

I'm curious ... If you had a daughter or have a daughter, would you let her become a DCC?

If I had a daughter, I personally would not want her to be a DCC. I have different values.

No, no and did I say no! There are other things to do in the world instead of shaking your cash and prizes for little money and being brainwashed into believing it is the best thing you will ever have done in your life.

Edited by bigskygirl
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

No, no and did I say no! There are other things to do in the world instead of shaking your cash and prizes for little money and being brainwashed into believing it is the best thing you will ever have done in your life.

AMEN.

• Love 1

I've been watching these videos of the heels classes...I'm sorry...but they look like nothing more than strippers in these routines...especially with all of the floor humping and slithering.  Maybe that's what they are supposed to look like but I can not stand the classes or the dancing.  

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Kayce said:

I've been watching these videos of the heels classes...I'm sorry...but they look like nothing more than strippers in these routines...especially with all of the floor humping and slithering.  Maybe that's what they are supposed to look like but I can not stand the classes or the dancing.  

I'm the same. I like classic dance: ballet, jazz, modern, contemporary. Clean lines, beautiful movement. I used to hate floor work too so it has no appeal to me! It tends to be a lot of walking and wiggling, not actual dancing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DCC-UK said:

I'm the same. I like classic dance: ballet, jazz, modern, contemporary. Clean lines, beautiful movement. I used to hate floor work too so it has no appeal to me! It tends to be a lot of walking and wiggling, not actual dancing.

Totally agree!

• Love 1
On 4/28/2019 at 7:19 PM, BringItOn said:

I'm curious ... If you had a daughter or have a daughter, would you let her become a DCC?

If I had a daughter, I personally would not want her to be a DCC. I have different values.

I would. I wouldn't want it to be the defining thing in her life but I think it's a great program and would be a lot of fun. Everyone looks back on the clubs and teams of their youth as being a special time, I don't see this as being that different. 

I could definitely do with less floor humping in the choreo tho! 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, dccfangirl said:

I would. I wouldn't want it to be the defining thing in her life but I think it's a great program and would be a lot of fun. Everyone looks back on the clubs and teams of their youth as being a special time, I don't see this as being that different. 

I could definitely do with less floor humping in the choreo tho! 

LOL!

• Love 1
On 4/28/2019 at 2:19 PM, BringItOn said:

If that's what she wanted to do, sure. It's a great opportunity to network and it seems like she'd build alot of new friendships.  I really wouldn't care.

• Love 4
(edited)

I had a dream that I was in Training Camp and, on the last night, Kelli called me into her office before practice started.  I remember it being her, Judy, and one other woman who was . . . ahem. . . much heavier than the rest of us.  I think Charlotte was there but I don't remember.  Kelli said she was retiring and that she would like the rest of us to be the hiring committee to find her replacement.  I asked something along the lines of "Does this mean I didn't make the team?" and thinking that it would be great if I did because I got to, well, be on the team after all the hard work I put in but was also terrified that it meant I would be cut due to conflict of interest.  I wanted to stay in the dream to find out what happened but the dogs I'm taking care of right now decided that they need to let me know that something was going on outside, that something being normal neighborhood activities, by barking and jumping off the bed (they're 10-15 pounds of pups, one a poodle-mix and one a terrier mix).

Edited by EricaShadows
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/28/2019 at 2:19 PM, BringItOn said:

I have daughters. 

The DCC isn't a choice I'd like to see them make. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

I have daughters. 

The DCC isn't a choice I'd like to see them make. 

Agreed. But I've pretty much guaranteed my daughter will never try to be a DCC, both with the general nerdiness and the not-at-all-a-dancer body type I've passed down. 

As my dad said, we're descended from Prussian peasants and we're built for hard labor. 

1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

Looks like Kelli wants the DCC to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  Another item on her bucket list.

Next she would want Congress to declare a National DCCs Honor Day.

*rolling eyes*

• LOL 1

My daughter is only 8 but she’s already a beautiful dancer. I’d prefer to see her on a college dance team and have a career instead of being a DCC. But if it becomes her dream, that’s fine, but we aren’t paying for it!

• LOL 1

Saluting women who put their lives on the line and are real role models: National Police Week May 6-16, Wednesday May 15 National Police Memorial Day and today is Armed Forces Day. Women who have been put in harms way, injured or killed in the line of duty who serve and protect all of us on a daily basis.

On a side note and having nothing at all to do with DCC 😀

Madonna's performance at the European Song Contest 2019 is a bit under expectations.
Like A Prayer was a bit unsteady and off-key sometimes 😵

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Loodicrus said:

On a side note and having nothing at all to do with DCC 😀

Madonna's performance at the European Song Contest 2019 is a bit under expectations.
Like A Prayer was a bit unsteady and off-key sometimes 😵

I've been watching all night, being from the UK and all. We're not very popular either!

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, DCC-UK said:

I've been watching all night, being from the UK and all. We're not very popular either!

I'm from the Netherlands, and for the first time since 1975 my country won the contest with the beautiful song Arcade from Duncan Laurence

Edited by Loodicrus
updated video to Final performance
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Loodicrus said:

I'm from the Netherlands, and for the first time since 1975 my country won the contest with the beautiful song Arcade from Duncan Laurence

Yay, fellow Dutchie here, been watching as well!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Go Netherlands!  I wish I could find a way to watch the Eurovision Song Contest live.  That would be SO much fun!  I remember finding something about a Eurovision Dance Contest that was only on for something like 2 years or so. 

• Love 1

I thought the ending to the results was awful. I liked your song but preferred Sweden. They did all that build up about him needing at least 254 points and then he only got 90-something! What a cruel way to end! 

On the plus side, we were at the bottom, as usual, because Europe hates us! Not everyone in the UK hates Europe, I certainly don't!

18 minutes ago, DCC-UK said:

What a cruel way to end! 

so what - tough luck 😈

On the plus side, we were at the bottom, as usual, because Europe hates us! Not everyone in the UK hates Europe, I certainly don't!

There's still an opening for Brexit to be cancelled.
We (the rest of Europe) don't want the UK to leave at all. It's all the fault of loudmouth populists like Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and the likes, while Theresa May is too weak to see her own mistakes by pressing on where there's no way forward.  Just my two cents (pennies if you like)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Loodicrus said:

so what - tough luck 😈

There's still an opening for Brexit to be cancelled.
We (the rest of Europe) don't want the UK to leave at all. It's all the fault of loudmouth populists like Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson and the likes, while Theresa May is too weak to see her own mistakes by pressing on where there's no way forward.  Just my two cents (pennies if you like)

Be grateful you're outside of this whole mess. The main opposition doesn't really have a strong stance either. Farage and co are a bunch of crazies, with no evidence to back up their claims and no real plan anyway, they're just scaremongers and nw they've got what they want, they don't really know what to do!

• Love 1

i’m going with my best friend to see Ariana Grande next month and the days are winding down and we still have NO IDEA what we’re doing in DC outside of seeing her and eating. anybody have suggestions?

On 5/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, scorpio1031 said:

Looks like Kelli wants the DCC to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  Another item on her bucket list.

It’s a stretch. It also costs between 25k to 35k.

11 hours ago, loveaux said:

i’m going with my best friend to see Ariana Grande next month and the days are winding down and we still have NO IDEA what we’re doing in DC outside of seeing her and eating. anybody have suggestions?

If you have time--a couple of the museums.  Air & Space is amazing as is the Natural History museum.  

• Love 1

Question for the Texas experts- is being an Allen American Ice Angel prestigious? It’s a minor league hockey team, right? Just wondering. It seems lots of DCC candidates come from here? Thanks! 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, GeorgieNY said:

Question for the Texas experts- is being an Allen American Ice Angel prestigious? It’s a minor league hockey team, right? Just wondering. It seems lots of DCC candidates come from here? Thanks! 

Lived in Texas almost all my life (9 years Dallas area, 18 in Fort Worth area) and I didn't know of the AAIA until I started reading these boards. I would guess if you follow hockey you would know them, and if you are in the dance community you would. But every day people - I would say no. I think they are more noticable around here because of Stephanie being a DCC choreographer in the past and featured on the show. 

• Love 1

very small rant because i'm so annoyed with my uni at the moment.

they sent an email today, saying that the cost for living in the dorm i live in is going up $500 each semester -- so now, we're paying $3500 each semester, which means i'm paying $7000 for housing! that's ridiculous! and then they never gave us an explicit breakdown as to what the additional $500 will be used towards AND decided to send it out after many students already received their housing (don't even get me started on the headache it was to even get housing).

i love my university, and i love my hbcu so much, but jesus holy christ. every five minutes it's something new with this school.

*currently writing an angry letter to administration lol*

(edited)
11 hours ago, GeorgieNY said:

Whatever has the quality of the sports team have to do with the quality of the dance team ?

Can someone explain to me why DCC is world class, where the Cowboys themselves are not. (just rewatched the Philadelphia Eagles-Cowboys game 2017 wich was lost 38-9 or something). When was the last superbowl win again ? - and yet - DCC ARE world class and fun to watch 🙂

Edited by Loodicrus
  • Love 1

I never equated the quality of the sport tram with the quality of the dance team. I was just asking the prestige of dancing for a minor league hockey team. I’m not sure of the audience size etc. coming from more of a theatre background, I have no idea about these things. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Loodicrus said:

Whatever has the quality of the sports team have to do with the quality of the dance team ?

To me, it's not so much the quality of the team, but about professional level, meaning major league (Dallas Stars) vs minor league (Allen Americans). Since not as many people go to their games, not as many people are watching them dance at those games, making it more likely not as many people have heard of them 🙂

• Love 1
On 5/19/2019 at 7:48 PM, loveaux said:

National Zoo! It's free and it has pandas.

(I'm going to San Diego in a few weeks and I just found out that the zoo shipped their pandas back to China and I'm super bummed).

But yeah, as long as the government can manage to not shut down for the next month, all of the museums in DC are free. As mentioned above, Natural History and Air and Space are both fantastic. There's also the African American History and Culture Museum- I haven't been yet, as it just opened in 2016- but that's supposedly the only one like it in the country. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

(I'm going to San Diego in a few weeks and I just found out that the zoo shipped their pandas back to China and I'm super bummed).

But yeah, as long as the government can manage to not shut down for the next month, all of the museums in DC are free. As mentioned above, Natural History and Air and Space are both fantastic. There's also the African American History and Culture Museum- I haven't been yet, as it just opened in 2016- but that's supposedly the only one like it in the country. 

The African American History and Culture Museum is wonderful.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, rafibomb said:
On 5/19/2019 at 7:48 PM, loveaux said:

So much to do in and around DC.  The Kennedy Center has free performances at 6 pm.  You can check on their site and see what’s happening.  The museums on the National Mall are all great and they are free!  And the entire DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) has plenty to do.  

• Love 1
On 4/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, parrotfeathers said:

Did anyone get the scoop on why CMT took down all the episodes from their website?  There is no choice now for "provider" either (not that DISH was ever a provider).

Just seems odd.

Wondering also. 

15 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Wondering also. 

In the Netherlands there are (ir)regular reruns on Spike TV, but they've stopped suddenly too. They just started with season 9 and only broadcasted 1 epsiode,

This is also a show that's almost impossible to find on torrent sites, or usenet.

• Useful 1

The Cavlier Girls changed their name today to

cavspowerhousedance

they are doing the same thing that the Mavs dancers did.  

The NFL Seagals are changing their name to Sea Hawks Dancers

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This week, several NBA and NFL teams disbanded their longstanding all-female dance teams in favor of co-ed hip hop teams or stunt squads, including:

Dallas Mavs

Cleveland Cavs

Tennessee Titans

Sacramento Kings

Four teams in a week?! That can't be a coincidence. Was there a sports industry-wide consensus to get rid of female dancers over fears of potential wage or harassment lawsuits? That's sure what it smells like.

55 minutes ago, Kayce said:

Am i missing something?  I thought the Titans just finished their audition process? Was there a news release about it....

Yeah they did just finish up and they are doing what the ravens cheer team have been doing which is dancing stunting flying 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Yeah they did just finish up and they are doing what the ravens cheer team have been doing which is dancing stunting flying 

The Spurs are going to be doing tumbling and acrobatics also.

Titans finals were last weekend. Check out their social media pages.

They split tryouts into dancing and stunting groups. They took around a dozen rookies from the co-ed tumbler group, including 5 male stunt bases.

They also took 1 outstanding male dancer who stunts too and kept 10 or 11 or so of the current cheerleaders. They only hired 1 or 2 rookie female dancers after holding a week-long dance final. That's a big change from the 27 spots they typically have for female dancers.

The Spurs started the trend 2 years ago by getting rid of the Silver Dancers. They also disbanded their AHL all-female dance squad.

The Cleveland Cavs are also disbanding their female AHL team (Monsters). But they are adding the Dancing Dads to their entertainment roster: "a group of fun-loving dads with extraordinary dance moves."

These are seismic changes for female dancers in the sports industry.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Ok...thank you 🙂

3 hours ago, dancerfan said:

Titans finals were last weekend. Check out their social media pages.

They split tryouts into dancing and stunting groups. They took around a dozen rookies from the co-ed tumbler group, including 5 male stunt bases.

They also took 1 outstanding male dancer who stunts too and kept 10 or 11 or so of the current cheerleaders. They only hired 1 or 2 rookie female dancers after holding a week-long dance final. That's a big change from the 27 spots they typically have for female dancers.

The Spurs started the trend 2 years ago by getting rid of the Silver Dancers. They also disbanded their AHL all-female dance squad.

The Cleveland Cavs are also disbanding their female AHL team (Monsters). But they are adding the Dancing Dads to their entertainment roster: "a group of fun-loving dads with extraordinary dance moves."

These are seismic changes for female dancers in the sports industry.

The Utah Jazz have had both a female dance team and an acrobatic/stunt team for years.

• Love 1