Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Actually the fact that Ms. Carlson's name is Gretchen and they used the Mean Girls reference made me laugh out loud. One of the mean girls is named Gretchen in the movie. 

Uh yup! Even if you just hate watch it, you should see it once. 

There there is a real Regina, too. And real Regina told Miss America not to wear pink. Really!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Ok, I was wondering about the Kalteen thing......LOL

I used to be a double feature every weekend kind of kid.  Then we moved to a town that got the movies about 6 months after they came out, in a one screen move theater, so not too many movies at that time.  Used to rent a lot when that became an option.  And now, I don't know - it's like I just don't have the patience to sit and watch a movie.  I mean, I haven't even watched the first 3 eps of this season:)  And when I do, I will probably be fast forwarding thru stuff.

Just ask any 20-25 yo for their copy....

Carrying over from the episode thread: 

For those of us in MD/DC/Montgomery Co- who wants to get together for a watching party? I’m right in the middle- 20mins North of DC, 30 mins from Baltimore and Annapolis. I will host if anyone is interested. The finale episode? Maybe at 8pm on Fri since 10 is a bit late to start the party on a thurs? Anyone interested? If anyone from other states want to travel in, that’s fine with me as well. 

We could have good food, a drinking game (alcohol consumption NOT required) and try our version of favorite DCC moves? 

Moving over to non-show talk thread to repost and discuss. 

Anyone interested? If people prefer, I could try to find a public place closest to epi-center of where we all live  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

For those of us in MD/DC/Montgomery Co- who wants to get together for a watching party? I’m right in the middle- 20mins North of DC, 30 mins from Baltimore and Annapolis. I will host if anyone is interested. The finale episode? Maybe at 8pm on Fri since 10 is a bit late to start the party on a thurs? Anyone interested? If anyone from other states want to travel in, that’s fine with me as well. 

We could have good food, a drinking game (alcohol consumption NOT required) and try our version of favorite DCC moves? 

If someone tries to do the kick line and jump split, please post video!!!  And you guys should really make a run to IHOP afterwards:)

• Love 3

IMG_1352.jpg.61781775517a56018e5a559eef26f7a4.jpg

Since this is non show conversation, I thought ya'll might enjoy seeing a photo of my havanese as she learns to pull her cart.  I love training her.  I show her a little in AKC obedience and she has several titles.   She'll be ready to compete in carting next year hopefully.  There's a lot to learn!

• Love 12

How about the fact if you grow up in Manhattan, you will not have an accent. But New York and New Jersey suburbs? Oh hell yes. And it doesn’t go away. Trust me.

Regarding the NY/NJ suburbs accents, I still say cawfee. And dawhg. I grew up in Orange County, so a little further out. (My school was right across from Woodbury Common) It was never strong, but I can hear it sometimes still. I live in MA now and but I have not picked up on any of the Boston/New England accent. However, I did have a roommate when I was in college--one of the SUNY schools--and boy was her Long Island accent thick. There were a lot of students from LI.

Neither of my kids have the accent nor do they add wicked to modify anything. I will admit that I have said it's wicked cold, though. Right now it's wicked hot.

My dogs are retired racing greyhounds. Athletes. Speedy. This is how they spend their day. 40 mph couch potatoes.

20180615_075436.jpg

happy friday.jpg

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

Regarding the NY/NJ suburbs accents, I still say cawfee. And dawhg. I grew up in Orange County, so a little further out. (My school was right across from Woodbury Common) It was never strong, but I can hear it sometimes still. I live in MA now and but I have not picked up on any of the Boston/New England accent. However, I did have a roommate when I was in college--one of the SUNY schools--and boy was her Long Island accent thick. There were a lot of students from LI.

Neither of my kids have the accent nor do they add wicked to modify anything. I will admit that I have said it's wicked cold, though. Right now it's wicked hot.

My dogs are retired racing greyhounds. Athletes. Speedy. This is how they spend their day. 40 mph couch potatoes.

YES!  If I get really tired I have caught myself almost saying cawfee (or saying it and then correcting myself).  It’s so embarrassing, right?  All my friends that grew up in NYC have no accent. None. I can distinguish a Brooklyn accent from a Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and even some New Jersey accents. But Connecticut? Isn’t it shocking how completely different that accent is in comparison to Long Island, which is 45 minutes away (if you take the ferry)???

1 hour ago, frenchtoast said:

(My school was right across from Woodbury Common)

*Gasp* Woodbury Common!!!! I LOVE it there!!!!!!

Cute doggies!!!  Here's my Lilly with her carrot cigar...

image.png.4dc1bd6779a39197453dfa84f1c389b7.png

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Taralightner said:

Moving over to non-show talk thread to repost and discuss. 

Anyone interested? If people prefer, I could try to find a public place closest to epi-center of where we all live  

I’d love this, because watching, rewinding, watching again, doing slowmo to see who was in time, and then watching again the next day all while my husband chats/asks me questions / comes over to watch/reminds me it’s past my bedtime is so, so, annoying. :-( but I’m on solo kid duty till 9 or 10 (depending, or later) until November for his job. ??

• Love 1

@frenchtoast  The look on your dog's face in the second picture is cute.

No dog for me. If I did bring home a puppy, my cat probably would think it was a funny looking cat. She does go crazy when she sees a cat in the yard. She has the love/hate relationship with the next door neighbor cat. She chases the poor thing out of the yard, but Sassy will go in yard next door and try to be friendly. The other cat will start growling and hissing at her, and Sassy looks defeated when it happens. Silly cats!

5 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

Rockland County girl here!

• Love 1

I was following the accent topic on the other board and finally got around to following it here. I'm in Maryland as well....amazing how many of us Marylanders are hooked on the Dallas show. I grew up in Towson, so didn't think I had much of an accent until I moved to southwest Virginia for college. Of course 4 years in Virginia/Tennessee and another 2 spent in North Carolina and when I returned to Maryland, everyone commented on my "southern" accent and I could finally hear the accent folks from Towson had. The Baltimore accent, which I don't have, is very distinctive....if you have never heard it google the song "Crabs for Christmas" and you can get an idea. I'm in Howard County now, and it is a mix of southern and northern accents.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

IMG_1352.jpg.61781775517a56018e5a559eef26f7a4.jpg

Since this is non show conversation, I thought ya'll might enjoy seeing a photo of my havanese as she learns to pull her cart.  I love training her.  I show her a little in AKC obedience and she has several titles.   She'll be ready to compete in carting next year hopefully.  There's a lot to learn!

omg THE CUTENESS !!!!!!  

Since we are posting animal pics, this is our newest rescue, Wicket.  We rescued her from a feral colony at the age of 4-5 weeks (the first pic in the corner) She's now 5 months old....non stop energy!

WICKET.png

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Is it not common courtesy to text someone the day of an event that they paid for you to go to, telling them that you can't make it instead of not showing up? People annoy me.

I would say it is a courtesy that should be extended but sadly does not seem to be common nowadays. I will admit, though, that I'm terrible about RSVPing. Like, I'll check my calendar and put it in and set a reminder that I'm going but clearly that means that I've telepathically communicated the RSVP. I'm starting to leave the invites out so I remember. If there is an email or text way to RSVP, that's easier for me to do because I can do it while filling out the calendar. Calling is a bitch and I hate it.

9 hours ago, Law Mom said:

Rockland County girl here!

31 minutes ago, Stephieg84 said:

Westchester County!

Woo! Also, I must maintain that Orange County/Rockland County is not Upstate. Despite prevailing opinion, outside of NYC is not Upstate. I used to go through Watertown every year on the way to the 1000 Islands--that's Upstate. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

I would say it is a courtesy that should be extended but sadly does not seem to be common nowadays. I will admit, though, that I'm terrible about RSVPing. Like, I'll check my calendar and put it in and set a reminder that I'm going but clearly that means that I've telepathically communicated the RSVP. I'm starting to leave the invites out so I remember. If there is an email or text way to RSVP, that's easier for me to do because I can do it while filling out the calendar. Calling is a bitch and I hate it.

I texted her like 4 times the day before to let her know the status of the event for the next day, not one response. After that I knew she wasn't coming, at least I got a refund from the event for her ticket.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

Woo! Also, I must maintain that Orange County/Rockland County is not Upstate. Despite prevailing opinion, outside of NYC is not Upstate. I used to go through Watertown every year on the way to the 1000 Islands--that's Upstate. 

This cannot be stated enough.

• Love 3

The accent I dislike the most is Rhode Island/Massachusetts. Sometimes it's so bad that people will actually write the word "draw" in a work email when they are talking about something in a "drawer". 

I used to be friends with someone who tried to correct my speech CONSTANTLY.  I say coo-min, she says cue-min. I would say X and she'd say oh you mean Y? I neverrrrr corrected her when she said draw (bc rude). I'm not friends with her anymore. 

@parrotfeathers your dog and her little cart, I can't stand it. So cute. 

• Love 2

Massachusetts accents get on my last nerve, but the one that freaks me out is the Jersey shore group.     Of course, I've lived in the south for years, and I worked as a civilian for the military for years, so I can understand any southern accent out there, but a few still confuse me a little.    

The only accent that makes me want to assault someone are the people on House Hunters or other shows that have that awful Valley Girl speech, and vocal fry.     It's one thing if that is the way you normally speak, but when it's a put on, that's pathetic.   

• Love 2
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Massachusetts accents get on my last nerve, but the one that freaks me out is the Jersey shore group.     Of course, I've lived in the south for years, and I worked as a civilian for the military for years, so I can understand any southern accent out there, but a few still confuse me a little.    

The only accent that makes me want to assault someone are the people on House Hunters or other shows that have that awful Valley Girl speech, and vocal fry.     It's one thing if that is the way you normally speak, but when it's a put on, that's pathetic.   

A really nasal Chicago N. suburbs accent is by far the absolute worst. I will take strong New England or Jersey over that Midwest whine any day of the week.

• Love 1

A long time ago I worked at a place that operated it's own phone system.    The man who did the customer service was from Chicago, and the boss had to constantly tell people that complained "Joe" (not his name) wasn't being rude, but he just sounded that way because he had a Chicago accent.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

Yes! I watched a scene of it online and unless you like that Broadway style of singing, I would give it a pass. Same thing with Legally Blonde.

Surprisingly I really love Legally Blonde the musical, but I can't seem to get myself to listen to the mean girls soundtrack. It's probably because of that reality show where they searched for the next Elle Woods that I fell in love with that musical.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, JohnGalt said:

I loved that show, but Bailey shouldn’t have won. She lasted all of five minutes as Elle Woods.

OMG! Does anyone remember the name of that reality show/ contest show? I watched a similar show that chose the new lead of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and loved it! 

43 minutes ago, JohnGalt said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legally_Blonde:_The_Musical_–_The_Search_for_Elle_Woods

I knew one of the contestants, Lindsey, but she got cut fairly early. I thought Lauren Zakrin was robbed though. She actually ended up understudying Elle. And the runner up Autumn was a powerhouse. Bailey was cute and an ok actress but that’s about it. She actually reminds me of former DCC Courtney Russ.

ETA- Rereading your post I guess you haven’t actually watched the show, so everything I just said is gibberish. I’ve looked far and wide for it online to rewatch to no avail. It used to be available on mtv.com but it isn’t anymore.

Actually now it seems to be available on YouTube. Someone uploaded episodes five months ago. Now my epic poem of a post about this show will come to an end. I’ll be on YouTube if anyone needs me...

Joining you there! And thank you for telling me the people who were in the end and who wins- now I don’t have to watch the last episode first! 

I just wish someone had recorded "Surf Girls" and put that on youtube (or that I could find it online somewhere).  That was another reality show that MTV did where girls competed in one of two categories of surfing: long board and short board.  They were tested on a variety of things including fitness and there was a scoring system that has stuck with me to this day though the show ended a long time ago.  They had a system of green/yellow/red with green at the top of the board (think movable blackboard size) and red at the bottom.where the girls who were successful in just about everything were put at the top in green as they were at no risk for elimination.  The girls who had issues, but still did okay were in the middle in yellow and the girls who were placed in red were the ones most at risk for elimination.  Girls were moved between sections depending on how they did each week, but those who stayed in the yellow section too long were likely to move to red at some point because they either failed miserably at that week's course or they weren't improving.  I remember one girl had been high yellow/low green for a lot of the time she was on the show but slowly lost steam and was eliminated one week because she gave up during the fitness challenge, didn't finish and didn't seem to care about what happened the rest of the week.

• Love 1
On 8/29/2018 at 9:11 AM, nittanyvolleyball said:

Is it not common courtesy to text someone the day of an event that they paid for you to go to, telling them that you can't make it instead of not showing up? People annoy me.

The day of?? If you paid for a ticket, and they can’t go- it’s basic human decency to give you as much time as possible to use that ticket or sell it. If you couldn’t do it, they should pay for the ticket. And imo, this should be a phone conversation not a text. Sorry this happened to you! 

• Love 1

I just spent a week in Vegas, mostly for work, but I’ve been several times.  What do you like to do? I’m not much of a gambler, but love exploring restaurants and relaxing (and people watching) at the pool. And the shows are great too! We went to Absinthe this past time, which was a little too short but super fun. What kind of food do you like and I’ll pony up some recs ? @scorpio1031 

On 9/1/2018 at 12:32 AM, Taralightner said:

The day of?? If you paid for a ticket, and they can’t go- it’s basic human decency to give you as much time as possible to use that ticket or sell it. If you couldn’t do it, they should pay for the ticket. And imo, this should be a phone conversation not a text. Sorry this happened to you! 

Thanks, she tried to put the blame on me because I didn't tell her everything got fixed. Well she didn't respond to me the first time I told her there was a problem with our group and she had all evening to text me back and then the whole day tuesday to say something. It pissed me off so much, I'm too old to deal with people like this.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

Going to Vegas for my first time ever!!  Where should I go, what should I do?

Where are you staying? We usually get the bus pass.  

Loved the Beatles Love show. Hiking at Red Rock. Did the large Ferris Wheel. See which concert is in town and pick one.  So many places to eat. Pick a nice spot every day you are there. 

9 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Take lots of money for taxis.

8 hours ago, kalibean said:

I just spent a week in Vegas, mostly for work, but I’ve been several times.  What do you like to do? I’m not much of a gambler, but love exploring restaurants and relaxing (and people watching) at the pool. And the shows are great too! We went to Absinthe this past time, which was a little too short but super fun. What kind of food do you like and I’ll pony up some recs ? @scorpio1031 

4 hours ago, ElenaFR said:

Where are you staying? We usually get the bus pass.  

Loved the Beatles Love show. Hiking at Red Rock. Did the large Ferris Wheel. See which concert is in town and pick one.  So many places to eat. Pick a nice spot every day you are there. 

We'll be staying with my aunt and uncle, so they will drive me wherever I want to go, or loan me their car.  However, I lived in San Francisco for awhile, so I have no problem with public transportation.  

I love to browse shops, eat out and just wander around aimlessly.  Have never tried gambling, but will probably have to just to say I did.  I would love to see a show while I'm there.  Can you wander around hotels without being a guest?  I want to see the Bellagio fountains.

As for fave foods, I'll eat anything, try anything:)  Even just looking at the airport there, I've seen like 6 restaurants alone that I want to eat at!!

Thank you:)

Edited by scorpio1031
1 hour ago, Tulip86 said:

1. The buffet at Caesars Palace

2. Blackjack at Paris Paris

3. Neon graveyard 

4. Lounge by the pool at Planet Hollywood

5. Roam the Strip with a footlong Margarita

Neon graveyard??

Isn't it sad that I would like to experience a Las Vegas buffet?  And doing anything with a Margarita is always relaxing:)

I would suggest not only going to any and all Cirque du Soleil shows you can (and that you can afford), but also wearing comfortable sneakers for walking (and if you're going to be returning to your hotel any time after 11:00 pm; trust me, you'll be glad you have them).  There are a LOT of restaurants around the gaming floors that you can go to without actually being a hotel guest.  Just watch out for your purse and better yet would be to have something that makes it REALLY hard to get pickpocketed or have your wallet/pocketbook stolen out of your purse.

It's been 20 years since I was there and, while I had a lot of good times there and met great people, I still don't want to go back, even to visit.  I also have a hard time with Krispy Kreme donuts (don't look at me like that) because, when I was there, I had access to all the free Krispy Kreme donuts I wanted and got sick of eating them practically every day.

40 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

I would suggest not only going to any and all Cirque du Soleil shows you can (and that you can afford), but also wearing comfortable sneakers for walking (and if you're going to be returning to your hotel any time after 11:00 pm; trust me, you'll be glad you have them).  There are a LOT of restaurants around the gaming floors that you can go to without actually being a hotel guest.  Just watch out for your purse and better yet would be to have something that makes it REALLY hard to get pickpocketed or have your wallet/pocketbook stolen out of your purse.

It's been 20 years since I was there and, while I had a lot of good times there and met great people, I still don't want to go back, even to visit.  I also have a hard time with Krispy Kreme donuts (don't look at me like that) because, when I was there, I had access to all the free Krispy Kreme donuts I wanted and got sick of eating them practically every day.

Oh, I am so a tennis shoe girl.  Even when I lived in San Francisco, I walked to work near Pier 39 from downtown and I wore sneakers with my work clothes.  The purse I plan on taking has to be zipped or else everything falls out:)  I would like to walk around at night.  I love to look at city lights!

If we are asked about shows, I will mention Cirque de Soleil.  Just from what I have seen online, they look amazing!  And I want to wander around hotel lobbies and look at stores or whatever.  I love to browse and see what is out there.  

And regarding Krispy Kremes, I could never figure out the big deal.  People would bring them back from the "big city" to sell for fundraisers and they tasted like a regular glazed donut.  Then I moved near one, walked in and had a hot one right off the conveyor belt - OMG!!!  Now I totally understand the fuss.  However, I didn't realize they had other flavors - the chocolate covered glaze donut with cream filling, the pumpkin spice and if you can find it, the baked chocolate donut - those are the bomb:)  Later I moved again, and I ended up taking 2 dozen asstd donuts to my new job and the employees were like, Krispy Kreme has other flavors??!!

Thank you so much:)

Edited by scorpio1031

The main reason I mentioned tennis shoes (besides the comfort factor) was the bug factor.  My first night getting back to my apartment after 1:00 am, I couldn't see the concrete for the bugs.  And not the little bugs I see where I currently live (Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho/Western Montana), but larger ones like I remember from the Deep South.  If you have to walk any paths with bushes along one side (or on both sides) at night, you'll be glad you have your tennis shoes on, for that if nothing else.

"O" would be an amazing Cirque show to see as well as "Love".  I remembered those were out of my price range when I was there, something like $80 or $90 a ticket and that was 20 years ago or so.  I haven't looked at prices lately, but I don't plan to go down to Vegas any time soon if I can help it.

Years after I left, I remember searching for the hotel I stayed at when I was deciding whether or not I wanted to move there and found out it was purchased and turned into the Hooters Casino Hotel.

Edited by EricaShadows