Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

There was some commercial where it was implied that pop-tarts were having sex, which pissed of 1,000 moms.

I thought it was b/c the nurse was going to eat their baby and the mother "swore".
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't even know what "Like a boss" means.  Most bosses I've had were idiots who got promoted beyond their abilities.

I have a question for the Coumadin/warfarin users: Are you bothered by mosquitoes?  I've known 3 people on Coumadin and none of 'em were ever bitten by mosquitoes, as if the insects could smell there was something wonky with their blood.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2

I don't even know what "Like a boss" means.  Most bosses I've had were idiots who got promoted beyond their abilities.

Thank you - I've thought the same thing every time I hear that stupid phrase.

• Love 3

I have a question for the Coumadin/warfarin users: Are you bothered by mosquitoes? I've known 3 people on Coumadin and none of 'em were ever bitten by mosquitoes, as if the insects could smell there was something wonky with their blood.

I'm not on those, but several other meds, including synthetic thyroid hormone for hypothyroidism. I used to get eaten alive by bugs in my childhood and young adulthood, but they haven't touched me in years and years, and I can only guess it's because of the meds. My sister get made a meal of by insects even when using repellant. She's not on any meds.
  • Love 1

Oh! That's right. But it wasn't a swear word, it was a word that sounded like a swear word.

I think she says "gawd jam it!".

Thank you - I've thought the same thing every time I hear that stupid phrase.

I hate that stupid phrase too.

You know, it's bad enough I have to put up with that hapless Mindy frim India's shtick, but I recently saw one for Amex saluting her for (paraphrased) "seceding despite her handicaps". Um, whut?

• Love 1

Whatever happened to being able to fold down a rear seat for long items

Parents were putting down the back seats and letting the kids rattle around loose rather than properly strapping them into seat belts.    You know those Nationwide kids who never got to grow up?   Yep, parents who let them be loose peas in the station wagon pod.

• Love 5

In a video game, when you've been fighting your way through a level or several levels and get to the final fight with the biggest, baddest bad guy, that guy is a "boss".  He has special fighting skills and can perform all kinds of special actions.  So when you do something special, you do it like a boss.

• Love 3

Which is why every single doctor my dad talked to when he was diagnosed with a-fib said they could not, in good conscience, prescribe Xarelto or the other Coumadin alternatives.  They're more convenient on a routine basis, because you don't have to think about how much vitamin K you're eating every day or keep going in for blood tests to monitor (although the Coumadin monitoring isn't as bad as it sounds, because once the INR is consistently in range, you do it less frequently), but the flip side of that is they're terrible - potentially deadly - in the event of an emergency. 

Great, you didn't have to research all the things other than dark, leafy, green vegetables that have enough vitamin K to potentially render the dose you're taking inadequate, pay attention to how much of all those things you eat, or go in for blood tests.  However, if you need emergency surgery, suffer a serious accident, etc. you may need to kiss your ass goodbye (because you bled out) when you otherwise wouldn't have.  Not exactly a fair exchange for skipping those inconveniences.

So I love the timing of those commercials -- the "call if you've been harmed by Xarelto" immediately following the "Be like me and take this great drug" one.

While the inability to reverse Xarelto and the newer meds is a concern doctors debate legitimately, there are more problems with Coumadin than just watching vitamin K. There are a whole bunch of potential drug interactions with coumadin. It can be very difficult to regulate the blood levels. They require frequent blood monitoring. Just because coumadin CAN be reversed with Vitamin K and other factors does not mean there is no major bleeding risk with it just like with the others. If you switch between generics of coumadin you can run into monitoring and drug level problems.

In the studies done on coumadin and the newer meds the irreversability was never shown to lead to a higher risk of morbidity or mortality vs coumadin. While its a theoretical risk that does not mean it has been shown that coumadin is safer than the newer meds. In the studies done they were of pretty equal risk. We use medications all the time, plavix in particular, that increase bleeding risk with no way to reverse them if an accident happens.

Its not a simple one or the other choice. Varies a great deal by patient and situation. Can also take much more time to get to a therapeutic dose of COumadin. My mom was tried on it after a PE and never could get to an adequate therapeutic blood level. Coumadin is far from a perfect medication.

On another note, I hate the stop smoking PSAs with the people looking at potential BF/GFs on their cell phone and they are told to "left swipe" if its a smoker. So many things wrong, but in particular that guy at the restaurant is creepy, disgusting and why on earth doe she have so much food around him?

• Love 3

On another note, I hate the stop smoking PSAs with the people looking at potential BF/GFs on their cell phone and they are told to "left swipe" if its a smoker. So many things wrong, but in particular that guy at the restaurant is creepy, disgusting and why on earth doe she have so much food around him?

That ad eats away at my last nerve!  That guy in the restaurant is DISGUSTING to the nth degree, and HE is being picky because the woman in the picture is holding an UNLIT CIGARETTE??

When will this tobacco settlement money be used up??  I am SO TIRED of this stuff! (Not to mention the slutty-looking girls on the steps bopping, and the creepo at the end who just says "HASHTAG". 

• Love 2

I, too, have the negative reactions to celebrity endorsements.  Especially if you watch Celebrity Jeopardy! - What a bunch of brain-dead people - and they even make the questions as easy as the Kids' Tournament.

Blame Jeopardy's casting director. Some very smart celebrities have appeared on other game shows. I recall a version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire where celebrities were winning a lot of money for charity without the questions being dumbed-down. IIRC, it was Norm MacDonald that could have won the top prize if Regis hadn't been playing his mind games (pretty douchey when it's for charity).

• Love 2

Welp, there is a commercial for some clot med with kevin nealon, a pro golfer, and a race car driver. 

The thing that annoys me about that commercial is that the drug name is pronounced zuh-rell-toe (just like the voiceover guy says), and the celebrities all pronounce it as zuh-rall-toe.  

My other gripe today is the latest round of Publishers Clearing House commercials that screw up a Hall & Oates song by having an accented man sing, "Yoooooo mikka mah drimss caawm chrwoo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXisQ9vsQPA

• Love 2

Last time I asked, it would have cost an extra $450/year to cut the deductible on my insurance from $1000 to $500, and that's with a driving record free of tickets or accidents. They're clearly making big profits off of people wanting to avoid a sudden large expense.

Okay I am going to defend those Liberty insurance company commercials a bit. Because most states require drivers to carry car insurance, car insurance has become the biggest consumer rip off there is. If people knew how many non related driving record factors determine their rates, they would riot. Did you know there is a direct correlation between a low credit score and the probability you will file a claim. That your education level and job are also predictors of your likelihood of filing a claim. That all persons with the same address of a non apartment, listed on their driving license, affects your rate. Your area code and street address also affect your rates.

These commercials are aimed at people who have had a bad car insurance company experience. Simply because they can sell them an up charge service on top of all the overpaying they will already pay no matter what insurance company they use.

• Love 4

While the inability to reverse Xarelto and the newer meds is a concern doctors debate legitimately, there are more problems with Coumadin than just watching vitamin K. There are a whole bunch of potential drug interactions with coumadin. It can be very difficult to regulate the blood levels. They require frequent blood monitoring. Just because coumadin CAN be reversed with Vitamin K and other factors does not mean there is no major bleeding risk with it just like with the others. If you switch between generics of coumadin you can run into monitoring and drug level problems.

I'm not saying that Xarelto isn't the right choice for some people.  I'm just annoyed at the commercial for making the drug seem so much easier to take than Coumadin, when it has some really serious drawbacks.  All anticoagulants are dangerous to take (all of them carry a very real risk of major bleeding) and risk versus benefits need to be seriously discussed with your doctor. 

Which is why I really hate that prescription drugs can even be advertised in this country.  You should not "ask your doctor if X is right for you," your doctor should tell which medication he/she thinks you should take and then you should discuss it.  I'm all for doing your own research about medications and treatments, but that "research" should not come from a commercial.  To be honest I think some doctors give in when their patient insists on something, and I would hate to see someone taking a more expensive potentially dangerous drug just because they think it's less of a hassle to take.

• Love 7

Well, that and the fact that pharmaceutical salesmen give tons of freebies to doctors, to push their stuff!  So, you ask for something to help "X" problem, he thinks of the BRAND-NEW drug he just got with monogrammed coffee mugs and writing pads, and gives you the new drug.

• Love 2

I haven't run into doctors that push a particular drug nor prescriptions in general, although I have been told by one that a lot of parents insist on a prescription (usually for antibiotics) even if he says it isn't going to help.

It amazes me that someone could think they know about a drug from a commercial - print ads for them tend to take at least a page in small print with all the disclosures.

• Love 1

Okay I am going to defend those Liberty insurance company commercials a bit.

I, too, had a different take on these commercials than I've read here.  I think everyone DOES know that your rates go up when you have a crash, or that your car depreciates the minute you drive it off the lot.  What I thought Liberty was saying is that their insurance protects against these things. Of course you have to pay, probably an upcharge, for that, but I really never thought that they were calling car buyers stupid.

• Love 2

In a video game, when you've been fighting your way through a level or several levels and get to the final fight with the biggest, baddest bad guy, that guy is a "boss".  He has special fighting skills and can perform all kinds of special actions.  So when you do something special, you do it like a boss.

I thought it meant "in control of the situation", like a boss/supervisor would be.

That ad eats away at my last nerve!  That guy in the restaurant is DISGUSTING to the nth degree, and HE is being picky because the woman in the picture is holding an UNLIT CIGARETTE??

There's another ad with a similar-looking creepy man whisking people away in a puff of purple smoke who looks like a deranged serial killer.
  • Love 1

I'm not saying that Xarelto isn't the right choice for some people.  I'm just annoyed at the commercial for making the drug seem so much easier to take than Coumadin, when it has some really serious drawbacks.  All anticoagulants are dangerous to take (all of them carry a very real risk of major bleeding) and risk versus benefits need to be seriously discussed with your doctor. 

Which is why I really hate that prescription drugs can even be advertised in this country.  You should not "ask your doctor if X is right for you," your doctor should tell which medication he/she thinks you should take and then you should discuss it.  I'm all for doing your own research about medications and treatments, but that "research" should not come from a commercial.  To be honest I think some doctors give in when their patient insists on something, and I would hate to see someone taking a more expensive potentially dangerous drug just because they think it's less of a hassle to take.

Well its a whole different issue whether prescription meds should be allowed to advertise on TV. As far as Xarelto in particular though, as long as advertising is allowed, its main advantage over coumadin is its easier to use. And that certainly is a factor for some patients. I can't blame them for pointing it out any any commercial they make. Its the main selling point of the newer generation of anticoagulant medications. And the very fact that it is "less of a hassle" to take can make a drug in some cases safer to use, more effective to use and actually more cost effective. The cost of the medication itself is not the only factor in whether to choose a certain drug. There are certainly medications that are more cost effective overall even though they may cost more upfront than their generic or cheaper competitors.

Well, that and the fact that pharmaceutical salesmen give tons of freebies to doctors, to push their stuff!  So, you ask for something to help "X" problem, he thinks of the BRAND-NEW drug he just got with monogrammed coffee mugs and writing pads, and gives you the new drug.

Pharmaceutical comapnies are no longer allowed to give away coffee mugs, writing pads or any other tangible physical gifts to doctors other than food. And no trips, no tickets to things, no stuff for around the office, just food, typically lunches that are nothing fancy in exchange for listening to them talk about their product. Dinners are allowed as well, but even thoser rarely happen anymore.

I am not denying that some doctors may prescribe meds for the wrong reasons, but I would argue most do not.

I understand the argument that prescription meds should not be allowed to advertise on TV. ANd I agree many of the commercials are assinine and stupid. AT the same time though, I see people like Dr Oz and other radio hosts I have heard get on TV or radio and peddle whatever supplement or OTC stuff that has no evidence for anything and no proof of any benefit basically with no repurcussions at all and no responsibility to show any of it does more than placebo and I can't think to harshly then of pharmaceutical companies advertising as well. At least their products need extesnive testing and some proof they do something before they can do ads on TV

• Love 4

I totally agree with the belief that the companies should do WAY MORE testing before they put a new drug on the market.  It just seems to me, as a mere consumer, that they are trying to make the quick bucks before patients find out their new drugs will maim or kill them.

• Love 1

I totally agree with the belief that the companies should do WAY MORE testing before they put a new drug on the market.  It just seems to me, as a mere consumer, that they are trying to make the quick bucks before patients find out their new drugs will maim or kill them.

But if they did that, it would put all of those class-action lawyers out of business, and we'd have to find a whole new batch of commercials to snark on!

• Love 6
(edited)

Pharmaceutical companies are no longer allowed to give away coffee mugs, writing pads or any other tangible physical gifts to doctors other than food. And no trips, no tickets to things, no stuff for around the office, just food, typically lunches that are nothing fancy in exchange for listening to them talk about their product. Dinners are allowed as well, but even those rarely happen anymore.

I am not denying that some doctors may prescribe meds for the wrong reasons, but I would argue most do not.

They do still get freebie drug samples to give to their patients, and I think that's a good thing. Keeps you from having to pay for a prescription that may not work for you. My doc gave me samples of a drug, and I really liked it. But when I actually got the script, my insurance balked, and made me try and fail 3 other, similar drugs that were cheaper for them before they'd OK the drug I already knew would work. My doc rolled his eyes and said "You gotta jump through their hoops."  It was a godsend that he could keep me supplied with samples while we documented that nothing else worked as well.

Also, while going through a chemo clinical drug trial 5 years ago, I was nearly dropped from the trial because my insurance wouldn't pay for anything in pill form. The clinic kept me supplied with samples of the one chemo drug that was in pill form. They also helped me apply to the pharmaceutical company for 1 bottle of the drug ($3,000!). When I had trouble with nausea, there was a great drug for that, but it's only prescribed in pill form for home use. So they would have me come in two days after each infusion for nausea and dehydration. They'd run a bag of fluid with the drug in IV form, and the insurance company didn't bat an eye before covering this more expensive alternative simply because the drug was given IV. That made zero sense to me.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

Aaah yes, the old easier to use argument.   Like Sally Field's boniva commercial.    Where she complained about having to take 1 pill every day or Boniva once a month.   Because finding time to pop 1 little pill was so darn hard to do.

• Love 2

"You named it, Brad!"  "You loved that car!" 

Yeah, put me down as one of those who really dislike those Liberty Mutual insurance ad's.   They don't live long on my TV screen.  Then again, most insurance commercials irritate me.  Can't stand Flo/Progressive ad's.   State Farm ones aren't all that great either (though some nostalgia points go to them for the Conehead version of "Jake from State Farm").  The General commercials are annoynig.  Though admittedly, some of the Geico ad's are funny.  Even though I'd never get a policy with them.

"But how can your car depreciate before it's first oil change".  <smh>

• Love 4

There's one commercial that's been driving me nuts. The Dr Pepper commercial with that idiotic minature falsetto singer who's supposed to look like Johnny Depp. His voice is so annoying that to me, it's like nails on a blackboard.

Why do ad agencies think it's cute to make commercials that focus on obnoxious kids? From the three boys at the 7/11 who's mom has a gas guzzler car, to the kid who stuffs the toilet full of everything imaginable, to the boy who uses the bathtub as his toilet, and to the pain in the ass kid who jumps on the dishwasher door, I don't find any of them cute, nor would it cause me to buy their product. That stuff just annoys the hell out of me.

But now, we will have to gird our loins for the start of the non stop political commercials. They've started here with our upcoming election next week, and it will only get worse once the Presidential commercials start. My sister said yesterday that she's going to vote for people who have the least number of commercials on TV.

• Love 10

There's one commercial that's been driving me nuts. The Dr Pepper commercial with that idiotic minature falsetto singer who's supposed to look like Johnny Depp. His voice is so annoying that to me, it's like nails on a blackboard.

That's Justin Guarini, runner up to Kelly Clarkson on season one of American Idol.  He has a successful career on Broadway since his first and only movie tanked.

• Love 5

State Farm ones aren't all that great either (though some nostalgia points go to them for the Conehead version of "Jake from State Farm").

Even though it's a bit dumb to have State Farm agents teleporting, I like the ones showing them disappearing from the offices. Although, what are they implying about their services when they have one woman pop back with the disheveled look that sitcoms use to indicate that someone just had sex?

• Love 4

Even though it's a bit dumb to have State Farm agents teleporting, I like the ones showing them disappearing from the offices.

Reminds me of several sketches from Robot Chicken over the years showing how much of a pain in the ass it would be to be a magical character (Pikachu, a genie, Beeltejuice, etc) who can be summoned like that.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Reminds me of several sketches from Robot Chicken over the years showing how much of a pain in the ass it would be to be a magical character (Pikachu, a genie, Beeltejuice, etc) who can be summoned like that.

I remmeber a Bugs Bunny cartoon involving a very annoyed genie voiced by Jim Bauchus, who beat the crap out of Yosemite Sam, I think, after Bugs handed it off to him.

Am I the only one who thinks Golfsmith's customers are assholes?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qxoSZot93hg

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 2

But now, we will have to gird our loins for the start of the non stop political commercials. They've started here with our upcoming election next week, and it will only get worse once the Presidential commercials start. My sister said yesterday that she's going to vote for people who have the least number of commercials on TV.

This is why I dread election years.  You can't even get away from negative political ads on the Internet nowadays.

• Love 3

Hey, Subway. I've got news for you: you didn't come up with the concept of guacamole. People have known about it for years. And it's not fun to say. That's just stupid.

Subway has at least come up with the concept of NOT CHARGING EXTRA for guacamole. Do you hear me, Chipotle and Freebirds?

Yes, the commercial is annoying, though.

• Love 7

Hey, Subway. I've got news for you: you didn't come up with the concept of guacamole. People have known about it for years. And it's not fun to say. That's just stupid. 

George Carlin (RIP), once said that 'guacamole' sounds like either something you say when you can't remember a word, or something you shout when you realize you're on fire. Every time I see that ad, that's what it makes me think of, and I just LMAO.

• Love 8

Subway has at least come up with the concept of NOT CHARGING EXTRA for guacamole. Do you hear me, Chipotle and Freebirds?

Yes, the commercial is annoying, though.

What the heck? You don't get charged extra for guac at Subway? I always get charged an extra 50 cents to a dollar.

Even though it's a bit dumb to have State Farm agents teleporting, I like the ones showing them disappearing from the offices. Although, what are they implying about their services when they have one woman pop back with the disheveled look that sitcoms use to indicate that someone just had sex?

I've always wondered what happened if an agent was in the bathroom or eating lunch. Heaven forbid State Farm allow a break once in a while. I'd be pissed if I was enjoying some birthday cake and some doofus "jingled" me away to a flood in their home. And in my good shoes too!

• Love 6