Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 11/23/2023 at 9:44 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I also don't identify with the confusion about Lume and its 48 hours of effectiveness or the "just take a shower" suggestions.

Especially since, at least in the versions I've seen, it specifies its odor recurrence time as Shower + Lume vs. Shower alone, not Lume vs. Shower. 

Those commercials are so neutral to me -- a person explaining a product.  Nothing to make me think "Wow, that's a clever/funny/interesting or even good commercial" but nothing to bother me, either.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 11/24/2023 at 11:02 AM, Ancaster said:

In which case, washing those butt cracks more frequently than every 72 hours may be more effective.  Just sayin'.

But, no one says it’s a replacement for washing or an “either/or” scenario. They say that the product is effective for that long, should someone need it to be. Those are so not the same thing. I don’t get what’s so confusing here — it’s like the “just wash your hands!” response some people had to the 2020 directives to use hand sanitizer, as if it was hard to imagine one of the many situations in which someone may not have immediate access to a sink. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
On 10/3/2023 at 5:47 PM, potatoradio said:

For those who mute or run screaming from the room at the Kars song...you probably missed that now you can donate real estate, too. Private real estate, business real estate....ANY real estate! Anything at all! Whether desperate or greedy, I don't know, but if you happen to have real estate, any at all, ANYTHING....donate to kars! 

Sorry, but those kids are kreepy AF. Chuck E Cheese animatronics have more life force. 

You get a tax wright off though.

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

But, no one says it’s a replacement for washing or an “either/or” scenario. They say that the product is effective for that long, should someone need it to be. Those are so not the same thing. I don’t get what’s so confusing here — it’s like the “just wash your hands!” response some people had to the 2020 directives to use hand sanitizer, as if it was hard to imagine one of the many situations in which someone may not have immediate access to a sink. 

Maybe it's the over-advertising and the in your face way of hawking something that may be necessary, but I don't need or use.  I don't like, need, or find funny the constant crass reminders of what goes on in the bathroom behind that closed and hopefully locked door.  I don't need to be constantly reminded in a way I find unfunny that some people, unfortunately, need to be in a bathroom several times a day schmearing and wiping their dirty butt holes, with or without gloves/soap/hand sanitizer/toilet paper/a rock (google it), whatever.  Unnecessary, unpleasant and played way too frequently where I'm watching.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2

OK, but "constant"/"in your face" is just how advertising works, though — and it still doesn’t mean that this particular product is meant to be a substitute for showering (and it does not, as far as I know, require people to apply it multiple times — that would be the antithesis of the whole 72-hour thing, no?). 

I am, of course, not saying that someone shouldn't be annoyed by these commercials, just that it's disingenuous to claim that there is a directive within them to use Lume instead of showering. And I suppose that any commercial for a product that's used in a bathroom on people's body parts could evoke unpleasant images…but rock? No idea what that means (and I didn’t Google it, partly because Google what, exactly?). But as unappealing, ubiquitous, and repetitive as the Lume lady may be, it’s probably not her fault if a person’s brain conjures up gnarly, questionable, and/or mysterious activities, with or without rocks. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

OK, but "constant"/"in your face" is just how advertising works, though — and it still doesn’t mean that this particular product is meant to be a substitute for showering (and it does not, as far as I know, require people to apply it multiple times — that would be the antithesis of the whole 72-hour thing, no?). 

I am, of course, not saying that someone shouldn't be annoyed by these commercials, just that it's disingenuous to claim that there is a directive within them to use Lume instead of showering. And I suppose that any commercial for a product that's used in a bathroom on people's body parts could evoke unpleasant images…but rock? No idea what that means (and I didn’t Google it, partly because Google what, exactly?). But as unappealing, ubiquitous, and repetitive as the Lume lady may be, it’s probably not her fault if a person’s brain conjures up gnarly, questionable, and/or mysterious activities, with or without rocks. 

Substitute "thin, flat, washed-between-uses rock" for '"sheets of toilet paper".

Used in places where toilet paper has never been a thing, or where if Procter and Gamble or whoever is trying to make it a thing, it is prohibitively expensive for the little people.  Hmm, I'd love to see their faces if they ever watched a dubbed Lumé ad.

• Useful 2
On 11/22/2023 at 12:42 PM, chessiegal said:

Usually these days you see a half shirt tuck,

Not sure what that means.

On 11/24/2023 at 2:46 PM, Bastet said:

Especially since, at least in the versions I've seen, it specifies its odor recurrence time as Shower + Lume vs. Shower alone, not Lume vs. Shower. 

Those commercials are so neutral to me -- a person explaining a product.  Nothing to make me think "Wow, that's a clever/funny/interesting or even good commercial" but nothing to bother me, either.

I find that particular commercial irritating because it makes me wonder who goes around sniffing people's crotches to get the data they quote, and I don't like anything which makes me wonder about that.  It also makes my much less likely to believe the statistics they quote.

Honestly, I can see the use of products like Lume.  I just find their commercials annoying as hell.  And unfortunately, the only person I know who's tried the product got a rash from it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 6
36 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
On 11/22/2023 at 12:42 PM, chessiegal said:

Usually these days you see a half shirt tuck,

Not sure what that means.

Both on women in tv shows and commercials, they tuck the front half of the shirt and leave the back half untucked. That's why the woman in the Verizon commercial distracted me by only having her shirt tucked at the button on her pants. I'd never seen that before.

• Like 2
Just now, chessiegal said:

Both on women in tv shows and commercials, they tuck the front half of the shirt and leave the back half untucked. That's why the woman in the Verizon commercial distracted me by only having her shirt tucked at the button on her pants. I'd never seen that before.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.  Yeah, one of my coworkers used to do the half-tucked in thing and I thought it looked stupid.  Only tucking it in at the button would be even weirder.  And now I'm going to have to watch that commercial more closely, just to see it. 😃

My main irritation with the Lume/Mando ads is that I refuse to believe that 'Dr. Shannon' is such a genius that she and she alone came up with some chemical formula that is not like any other deodorant!  Isn't 'subdues the bacterial activity' exactly what all of them should be doing in order to be useful? Has there been any analysis of this stuff to verify that it's really unique?

Well, I also think the woman comes across as insufferably smug.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
5 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Substitute "thin, flat, washed-between-uses rock" for '"sheets of toilet paper".

Used in places where toilet paper has never been a thing, or where if Procter and Gamble or whoever is trying to make it a thing, it is prohibitively expensive for the little people.  Hmm, I'd love to see their faces if they ever watched a dubbed Lumé ad.

I will now be on the lookout for rocks in people's bathrooms -- errant pebbles, decorative geodes, what have you. And if I see one, I will take my business elsewhere. 

• LOL 9
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Why doesn't the guy in the Etsy commercial just ask his niece what she wants for Christmas?

and she has a random picture of something on her wall, that she probably doesn't even remember why she drew it, and now she has to wear a jacket with that embroidered on it to school?

The one with the wood carrier for the dad makes a lot more sense.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

The one with the wood carrier for the dad makes a lot more sense.

I love that ad, especially her singing the MI theme and all that implies. That she sounds flat or off key only makes it more cute.

• Like 6
21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Ah, thanks for the explanation.  Yeah, one of my coworkers used to do the half-tucked in thing and I thought it looked stupid.  Only tucking it in at the button would be even weirder.  And now I'm going to have to watch that commercial more closely, just to see it. 😃

Quoting myself to say that I saw the commercial last night and paid more attention.  And yes, the way that woman tucked in her shirt looks stupid to me.

20 hours ago, dleighg said:

That just looks like someone was too mentally challenged to figure how tucking in one's shirt works.  I hate that look, it's sloppy and lazy.  Tuck it in or don't.  And yes, get off my lawn.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 4
18 hours ago, sempervivum said:

My main irritation with the Lume/Mando ads is that I refuse to believe that 'Dr. Shannon' is such a genius that she and she alone came up with some chemical formula that is not like any other deodorant!  Isn't 'subdues the bacterial activity' exactly what all of them should be doing in order to be useful? Has there been any analysis of this stuff to verify that it's really unique?

Well, I also think the woman comes across as insufferably smug.

You don't need to do a chemical analysis of Lume to see what's in it. Google is your friend. From looking, most of the ingredients are what are used in creams and lotions. I did see one ingredient that has antibacterial properties. I have no idea if it's unique in any way. We use Secret. Looking at the container, it lists one active ingredient, and the rest are to make it a product that can be spread.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
8 hours ago, Daff said:

I love that ad, especially her singing the MI theme and all that implies. That she sounds flat or off key only makes it more cute.

She should have picked the leather shopping bag. You could see that dad was trying to carry about half a dozen to a dozen logs and that thing she gave him barely held three.

And ugh, the Duracel one with the snotty teenager who just tosses her animated cactus gift? My kid no matter how "moody" he was at that age, would have at least feigned interest and thanked the giver.

• Like 3

ok, so the commercial for medicare part c plans.......... the wife yells at Al to make the call to get these extra benefits that her dumb hubby doesn't know about.

why can't she just call herself since she seems to be the one most aware of what is going on in the world???

• Like 7
  • Applause 6
7 minutes ago, cinsays said:

ok, so the commercial for medicare part c plans.......... the wife yells at Al to make the call to get these extra benefits that her dumb hubby doesn't know about.

why can't she just call herself since she seems to be the one most aware of what is going on in the world???

Evidently in Medicare Part C world only stupid husbands can make the call. 🤣

• LOL 4
23 hours ago, cinsays said:

Maybe Al told her that he'd do it, forgot, and then pretended to think that 3 weeks later is a perfectly normal time frame after telling someone you will do something -- and he refuses to believe her when she tells him that he can't just make changes any old time he wants!

I am projecting -- not about this exact scenario, but a similar type of thing. My BF is a smart person and not usually an ass, but oh boy, mention procrastination and he reacts as if he's been irreparably scandalized, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 4
On 11/29/2023 at 2:47 PM, peacheslatour said:

And ugh, the Duracel one with the snotty teenager who just tosses her animated cactus gift? My kid no matter how "moody" he was at that age, would have at least feigned interest and thanked the giver.

This one makes me sad — but not for the parents. I feel bad for the cactus! I tend to anthropomorphize. 

That said, I think the teenage version of the daughter didn’t actually receive the gift. The little-girl version did, but Teenage Version was more like a hypothetical comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Can somebody explain the new Planter's Nuts commercial, it has people dressed in Victorian garb and one of the women is laughing to herself, one of them walks in to a wall, I do not get what then are putting down.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • LOL 1
On 12/1/2023 at 6:47 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, cause Martha sure ain't gonna do it. So there.

There's a new similar Medicare ad with a cranky woman named Karen (of course), but her delivery is so bland, so robotic it makes me miss Martha.

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
On 11/28/2023 at 12:44 PM, dleighg said:

I've heard it called a french tuck. You sort of tuck the shirt in near the button (center) but leave it loose everywhere else.

Yes, and it looks stupid, IMO. Saw an Instagram post that demonstrated it... a "new way to style" your outfit... like a slob???

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Yes, and it looks stupid, IMO. Saw an Instagram post that demonstrated it... a "new way to style" your outfit... like a slob???

It really does. And why do they need to make a shirt for that? Can't most shirts be tucked in or left untucked? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

It was the *pants* that were perfect for the French tuck. I dunno, I guess they were nicely trim and flat???

They might be nicely trim and flat on the hanger, but they won't be trim and flat if I put them on.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 7
7 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I didn't know it was called the French tuck until I read it here.  Is this supposed to be an insult to the fine folks in France?  It's the stupidest fashion "statement" that's come along in ages!  Right up there with the britches below the butt (in boys and menswear) look that came out so long ago.

• Like 5

The tuck in of only the front few inches of the shirt, and crop tops are just another ridiculous fad.  Shark Tank had a seller pitching an elastic belt, it's purpose was to simulate a french tuck, or crop top by tucking it into the elastic belt and it kept everything flat.    Ridiculous.   

I guess that's why the ladies at the optical shop call me 'not trendy' , and they're right. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

They might be nicely trim and flat on the hanger, but they won't be trim and flat if I put them on.

That reminds me of the commercial with the woman talking about how mens jeans don't fit right. Well neither do women's. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4

I have Roku Live on in the background a lot (Antiques Roadshow reruns I've seen thousands of times).  There's an ad for SparkTV (some even-worse-than-B- garbage *romance* channel) that runs way too frequently.  There's a woman who says she felt whatever in her soul.  The way she says "soul" makes me want to stab forks in my ears.  It comes directly from her sinus passages and sounds like a goose honk. WHYYY????!!!!

• LOL 7

I am really getting tired of Instantgram telling us they cannot impose parental controls on their product on their own and require the government to do it for them. Actually, it's the parents' responsibility, not Instantgram's!😡

• Like 2