Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I've always wanted the Bob Belcher/Coach McGuirk voice for my navigation thing. Also, I confess: I have had a phone conversation with a psychic (who was amazing!) and it made me feel so much better after a horrible thing happened. 

• Love 2
On 10/18/2018 at 6:18 AM, Haleth said:

Ving Rhames.

His name always reminds me of a Woody Allen joke. Y'know how people used to call Hugh Hefner, "Hef" ?  Allen said his closest friends, like Woody, call him "Ner."  That's the first thing I thought of when I learned Rhames' first name is Irving.  Most guys are called "Irv" - noooooo, like "Ner," he has to go with "Ving."  I"ve started referring to John Malkovich as "Vich."

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's the first thing I thought of when I learned Rhames' first name is Irving.  Most guys are called "Irv" - noooooo, like "Ner," he has to go with "Ving." 

I had no idea!  Of course, I never cared enough to look him up to see where the name came from.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, janie jones said:

Except that there are people who menstruate who read neither teen nor glamour magazines.

Do they read People? 'Cause that's not a teen or glamour mag and it's got a crapton of ads for tampons and maxi pads and panty liners. Seriously, there must be 8 ads for those products in EVERY issue. 

On 10/12/2018 at 12:10 AM, walnutqueen said:

Go fuck yourself, Metro by TMobile or whoever the fuck your are.  Migrating wildebeasts  being attacked by hungry crocs is SO not Ok; and your bridge joke is SO not funny.

I hate, therefore I am.

Ummm, you do know that actually happens in real life, right? Thousand of wildebeasts are killed and munched and crunched and torn in half and torn to pieces and devoured by thousands of crocodiles every year. What exactly isn't "Ok" about it, and how is it not ok to show that but perfectly fine for all those SPCA ads to show all those abused doggies, y'know the ones that have been beaten and starved and left out in the freezing cold by human beings?

• Love 6
On 10/12/2018 at 4:40 PM, SoSueMe said:

Yes, thank you.

And @walnutqueen , please don't ever change your avatar, it makes me smile every time I see it. :)

I wouldn't, even if I could.  A kindly fellow poster provided the pic and the means to post it, and I am too techno-challenged to ever figure out how to do it again!   ;-)

8 hours ago, ShutUpLutz said:

Do they read People? 'Cause that's not a teen or glamour mag and it's got a crapton of ads for tampons and maxi pads and panty liners. Seriously, there must be 8 ads for those products in EVERY issue. 

Ummm, you do know that actually happens in real life, right? Thousand of wildebeasts are killed and munched and crunched and torn in half and torn to pieces and devoured by thousands of crocodiles every year. What exactly isn't "Ok" about it, and how is it not ok to show that but perfectly fine for all those SPCA ads to show all those abused doggies, y'know the ones that have been beaten and starved and left out in the freezing cold by human beings?

Ummmm ... Why yes, I DO know that.  The abused doggies on the SPCA ads are also not cool with me.  I watch a shitpile of nature and animal rescue shows, and ff through all scenes of an animal in distress.  That's just how I roll.  You don't have to agree or even understand, dontcha know.

Now if they'd shown zombies tearing humans apart, I'd be OK with it.  :-)

• Love 15
38 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Ummmm ... Why yes, I DO know that.  The abused doggies on the SPCA ads are also not cool with me.  I watch a shitpile of nature and animal rescue shows, and ff through all scenes of an animal in distress.  That's just how I roll.  You don't have to agree or even understand, dontcha know.

Times a million.

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I wouldn't, even if I could.  A kindly fellow poster provided the pic and the means to post it, and I am too techno-challenged to ever figure out how to do it again!   ;-)

Fair enough.

But... the animal rescue shows like Animal Cops Houston show nothing BUT animals in distress, so how can you watch them if you have to fast forward through the entire show. You can't just watch the minute and a half of them driving to and from the scenes of animal rescues, can you? CAN YOU?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, ShutUpLutz said:

Fair enough.

But... the animal rescue shows like Animal Cops Houston show nothing BUT animals in distress, so how can you watch them if you have to fast forward through the entire show. You can't just watch the minute and a half of them driving to and from the scenes of animal rescues, can you? CAN YOU?

I CAN, and I DO.   I am really, really good with that ff button.  ;-)

I've also watched enough to know when the distress is going to be too much for me, or barely tolerable.  Using it as a punchline in an ad is too much for me.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, SmithW6079 said:

Except when you're having sammiches (no "d"). :-) 

Don't make me thrash you.

Saying or writing or using, GAH! I CAN'T EVEN GET MY FINGERS TO TYPE IT!!!! (Sighs and grits teeth) Sammches or samdwiches is fine and acceptable up until the age of 9.

That's it. the day you turn 9, on that birthday you start talking like an adult dammit. 

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I just noticed, in the latest ChevyDouche commercial, there is a statement in text "Mojave Desert, 114F".  SO?  What the hell does that mean in the context of the ad??

Mad dogs & Chevy fans go out in the midday sun?

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I just noticed, in the latest ChevyDouche commercial, there is a statement in text "Mojave Desert, 114F".  SO?  What the hell does that mean in the context of the ad??

Because Chevys are so tough, they can withstand the brutal heat of the Mojave and still keep going. That's all I've got. And anyone who says "Sammiches" or "Sammies" around me gets judged.. Harshly. And side eyed too. It's juvenile and stupid. Ymmv of course. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

And anyone who says "Sammiches" or "Sammies" around me gets judged.. Harshly. And side eyed too. It's juvenile and stupid. Ymmv of course. 

Run away with me.

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

It's actually a good factual point, that the truck or probably more specifically the engine/cooling radiator systems can stand being out in the middle of the goddamn desert all day and not blow the hell up. Which is something  a friend of a friend had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with with no cell phones.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, ShutUpLutz said:

Don't make me thrash you.

Saying or writing or using, GAH! I CAN'T EVEN GET MY FINGERS TO TYPE IT!!!! (Sighs and grits teeth) Sammches or samdwiches is fine and acceptable up until the age of 9.

That's it. the day you turn 9, on that birthday you start talking like an adult dammit. 

The one I don't get is the Brits calling 'em "sarnies" - makes no sense whatsoever. Where the hell did the R come from?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The one I don't get is the Brits calling 'em "sarnies" - makes no sense whatsoever. Where the hell did the R come from?

Wikipedia attributes it to regional pronunciation of "sand".  Might be right, might not be,  Who knows?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Rachael Ray says "sammies." That's one of the 1,896 reasons why I cannot stand her.

Speaking of Ray-Ray, her dog food commercials are the pits. That stupid sweater she wears with the odd cut-offs on the shoulders looks like something she grabbed at a yard sale.

Edited by mmecorday
  • Love 13
16 hours ago, ShutUpLutz said:

It's actually a good factual point, that the truck or probably more specifically the engine/cooling radiator systems can stand being out in the middle of the goddamn desert all day and not blow the hell up.

But a normal engine runs at around boiling, giving you a 100 degree differential to dissipate excess heat, so just about any car or truck should be able to do that, and they do. That 114 isn't much different than a typical Summer high in southern states, and most manufacturers want to sell vehicles in hotter parts of the world than that.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Rachael Ray says "sammies." That's one of the 1,896 reasons why I cannot stand her.

Speaking of Ray-Ray, her dog food commercials are the pits. That stupid sweater she wears with the odd cut-offs on the shoulders looks like something she grabbed at a yard sale.

Yes, yes and yes. :D

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I lived in Chicago when I was little. I remember crayons were "crans".

There's an old Chicago joke: "A guy gets on a CTA bus and asks, "Does dis bus go to da Loop." And the driver responds, "No, it goes 'Beep Beep.'"

• Love 7

Apropos lottery ticket ads and the current $1 billion prize. It always bugs me when you see lottery winners on TV and when asked what they are going to do with the millions they won, they invariably say, "I'm going to pay off my mortgage and give some money to my kids."  I've determined to answer, when asked, "Debauch myself."

• Love 14
16 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Apropos lottery ticket ads and the current $1 billion prize. It always bugs me when you see lottery winners on TV and when asked what they are going to do with the millions they won, they invariably say, "I'm going to pay off my mortgage and give some money to my kids."  I've determined to answer, when asked, "Debauch myself."

"With hookers and blow."

• Love 8
On 10/21/2018 at 6:43 PM, ShutUpLutz said:

Run away with me.

?

On 10/22/2018 at 11:16 AM, mmecorday said:

I hate RR and that style of sleeve can go away any time now.  It looks awful. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

?

I hate RR and that style of sleeve can go away any time now.  It looks awful. 

I agree.  That cold shoulder is ridiculous and will go the way of 80s shoulder pads. But I can't stand RR no matter what she wears.

• Love 8

The one commercial for Bounty paper towels drives me crazy. The little girl pokes daddy in the back with her play sword and he spills his drink on the counter. The one kid with the laptop computer screams no instead of getting the computer off the counter before the liquid moves to the computer. Seriously... Move the freaking computer nitwit.

4 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

The one commercial for Bounty paper towels drives me crazy. The little girl pokes daddy in the back with her play sword and he spills his drink on the counter. The one kid with the laptop computer screams no instead of getting the computer off the counter before the liquid moves to the computer. Seriously... Move the freaking computer nitwit.

How about NOT poking Daddy in the ass?

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I've read complaints about that one before, and finally looked it up (I'd never seen it on TV), and, yeah, instead of Quick - Bounty, how about she quick - moves the laptop?  And then Dad makes the stupid kid who poked him with the sword clean it up.

But, the "no" scream is in slow motion and they cut away with very little time having passed in real time, so hopefully in the next millisecond, she did indeed move the computer.  Because she's certainly too old to be that dumb.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

There's an old Chicago joke: "A guy gets on a CTA bus and asks, "Does dis bus go to da Loop." And the driver responds, "No, it goes 'Beep Beep.'"

And one from Manhattan: Lady asks bus driver, "Crosstown busses run all night?" He replies, "Doo-dah, Doo-dah."

• Love 13

There's a Chic-Fil-A commercial out that's annoying as crap.  I don't think I've ever seen Chic-Fil-A advertise on TV before but if this is their entry to TV it's a fail.   Two dudes are sitting on a couch...trying to decide who should go first and tell their story (and it totally doesn't come off as fakey and scripted).  One of the guys works at the Chic-Fil-A and the other goes there all the time.  Apparently at this Chic-Fil-A (maybe all of them, I wouldn't eat there) they give you your food then take your money because because the guy drives off without his $3 in change.  Cashier holds the money until the guy comes back a month later (even though he's in there 'all the time').  They discover they both play trumpet and grace us with a few annoying notes.  The whole damn thing is stilted and awkward and I assume the whole point is "Chick-Fil-A only hires good people".   

• Love 3
7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I do like the one where the kid drops the potsticker on the table (I think he’s learning to eat with chopsticks?) and everyone does the slow-motion “Nooooo” thing — except for the family dog, who does a slow-motion “Yesss!” and eats the potsticker as it slides off the table. Pretty much makes the same point with a much less annoying chain of evens and reactions. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Meanwhile, it's such a small amount of liquid and a single ice cube on the table. I hate that stupid commercial.

• Love 7