Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 8/19/2018 at 11:58 AM, skipnjump said:

I admit that I find her Head & Shoulders ads with her son really creepy.  She has no boundaries with him.  To me, it looks like she's treating him like a boyfriend, sitting in his lap and all.  Those ads are an instant mute.

OMG, I didn't realize that was her son . . . I just assumed it was a character who was supposed to be her younger boyfriend. Oh *gag* no.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's Kaley Cuoco. I take it you don't watch The Big Bang Theory. She's been doing Priceline commercials for years. 

I don't watch the Big Bang Theory however I do know who she is and that she's been doing these commercials for a long time, even way back with William Shatner.  What I was wondering is what the fuck happened to her?  She looks terrible in this specific Priceline spot, and that dress is hideous.

• Love 2

The latest Peloton bike commercial would be OK if it weren't for the horrible music! I can't understand the words and it seems to have been sampled from two or three different existing songs. Blech! Also, why can't someone be a division-1 athlete and a father of two?

But in all honesty, I would love to have one of those bikes.

Edited by mmecorday
  • Love 2

Just so you know, Force Factor Lean Fire XT, your ad assures I NEVER buy your product.  Any commercial that assaults my ears before I can hit the mute button is SOL.  "Up and Down, Up and Down, UP AND DOWN."  Ugh!!

ETA: And per mmecorday, for the same reason, the New Peloton commercial is on my shitlist as well.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I feel kind of sorry for Brooke Shields because the only acting job she can get these days seems to be Lazy Boy commercials. Then again, her acting is so bad, it's no wonder.

She has a show on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries called Flower Shop Mysteries or some shit.

• Love 5
On 8/20/2018 at 10:58 PM, Zevious Zoquis said:

oh yeah they're supposed to be a couple.  still grosses me out.  especially while she's licking goop off her fingers.  sorry...i don't share burgers.  lol...

Eh, to each his own, though the finger-licking would get me too, even if I have no issue letting the BF bite my food! I do hate when I just finish making a big old (well-deserved!) G&T and he wants a sip that drains half my pint glass! Yet he doesn't want one of his own? WTF?

These Reese's commercials need to stop. They are so unappetizingly orange-looking, and the "not sorry" tagline is just proof that once a commercial gets hold of a silly, otherwise harmless catchphrase, it's too late!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I do hate when I just finish making a big old (well-deserved!) G&T and he wants a sip that drains half my pint glass! Yet he doesn't want one of his own? WTF?

I tell him a big, flat "No!"

• Love 4
On 8/17/2018 at 8:31 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

The one kind of ad that actually does outrage me are those for tax relief companies that have people who owe $50,000 to the IRS, but the company supposedly gets the debt reduced to a mere $500.  I'm sure those people are happy, but everybody else in the United States, who actually dutifully pay their taxes every year, feel like fools and suckers.

I agree!!!  I made an honest mistake on my 2014 return (really!  I am not a tax cheater) and I got a bill for $3200 or so.  Guess what I did?  Something really novel, I know:  I GOT A PART TIME JOB!!  No, I did not pay an attorney a huge sum to get out of paying taxes.  I, you know.....paid it.

• Love 13

Yeah, those "get out of paying what you owe" commercials really get my goat, too.  People make mistakes, rely on a spouse who turns out to be unreliable, have a really shitty year and don't pay in a panic then find themselves in a snowballed situation they don't know how to get out of, etc. and I'm all about setting up a reasonable payment plan so the back taxes and penalties can be paid over time without sending the person into a financial catastrophe that benefits absolutely no one, but that's not what the commercials are about.  It's this gleeful litany of "I owe X, but am getting away with only paying 35% of X!" testimonials with zero context to make that seem just.

• Love 12

The penalties and interest the IRS apply can be insane.   They're assessed in part to encourage people to not ignore their tax bill and take care of it or to get their attention if they do ignore. it  In some situations the penalties and interest can exceed or far exceed the original tax liability.   The IRS will, in some circumstances, negotiate the penalties and interest but will not negotiate the tax liability itself--at least that's how it used to work.  The cases they're touting in these commercials are undoubtedly are ones where the person ignored their bill for 10 years and they managed to negotiate down most or all of the penalties and interest.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

The cases they're touting in these commercials are undoubtedly are ones where the person ignored their bill for 10 years and they managed to negotiate down most or all of the penalties and interest.  

Which is my point; it doesn't matter that what these scofflaws have negotiated away is the interest/penalties on what they initially failed to pay -- they don't pay when the tax bill comes due, continue not to pay during the early years when a payment plan could keep things reasonable for both parties, and then score some pennies on the dollar settlement because the government has a responsibility to get something rather than nothing, and these commercials celebrate them. 

The IRS is an easy target for myriad obvious reasons, but the government is tasked with taxing and spending for the general welfare.  When someone, compounded by numerous someones doing the same, takes their share out of the national till and continues to evade the consequences of that year after year, it's an issue.  A drop in the bucket compared to the situation caused by the horribly inequitable tax system we have to begin with, where the mega-rich and corporations have too many "legitimate" ways of not paying their share, certainly, and thus something I'm not going to do more than get my dander up at the commercials about, but an issue that renders the commercials tone deaf.

• Love 14

Schwab has been running an ad where they say their cost is 3 or 4 times less than a couple of their competitors. So if the latter is charging $100, they're charging a negative $300? You'd think a financial company would understand math well enough not to make such an annoying error.

• Love 5

I don't understand why they used a pudgy kid for the Skippy commercial - let your kids snack on Skippy peanut butter and they'll be overweight.

I use my right index finger to open my iPhone. One day when I turned on my phone, a person sitting next to me said "I thought you had to use your thumb!" This was a person who clearly doesn't understand fingerprints.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't understand why they used a pudgy kid for the Skippy commercial - let your kids snack on Skippy peanut butter and they'll be overweight.

I use my right index finger to open my iPhone. One day when I turned on my phone, a person sitting next to me said "I thought you had to use your thumb!" This was a person who clearly doesn't understand fingerprints.

And the jingle is so annoying. “Smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy!”

• Love 1

I hate the ad for a drug for overactive bladder where the woman is followed around by an animated bladder. Also the one (this one may not be airing any more) where the woman is tormented by a woman dressed all in a pink leotard to represent her digestive system. 

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

That’s from an actual song called Uptown Funk (which I haaaaated and it aired on the radio every ten minutes it seemed). It was only inevitable that Skippy would usurp it as a jingle.

• Love 5
On 8/22/2018 at 3:42 PM, Silver Raven said:

This ad is just stupid.  I think she's been sniffing the Pine Sol.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w9rY/pine-sol-kitchen-54-song-by-otis-redding

That commercial drives me mad because the woman just looks so stupid.

While I'm here...

I know it’s been mentioned before but the Audi commercial with the stupid people and traffic all stopping in wonder at this woman who quits her job pisses me off. The lady on the bus who puts her hand on the window drives me nuts. Anna didn’t look too happy about being singled out as employee of the year. It would seem that a commercial showing Anna doing more work than anyone else, and then watching a lazy co-worker get the award would have been a better set up for her finally starting her own company.

Also, this is something that drives me nuts with the Chevy and other car commercials. Any time they ask people what features they want most there is some nimrod that says, “Safety. For the kids/children.” As if the only reason a person would want a car with good safety features is if they have kids. Or the guy wants to show what a great dad he is. I have new for you, Chevy, I have no kids and put safety first. And I don’t say, “Safety. For me.” Why on earth do you have to qualify that the reason you rate safety high is because of kids? Doesn't everyone want a car that's safe?

• Love 16
On 8/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, configdotsys said:

Any time they ask people what features they want most there is some nimrod that says, “Safety. For the kids/children.” As if the only reason a person would want a car with good safety features is if they have kids. Or the guy wants to show what a great dad he is. I have new for you, Chevy, I have no kids and put safety first. And I don’t say, “Safety. For me.” Why on earth do you have to qualify that the reason you rate safety high is because of kids? Doesn't everyone want a car that's safe?

Okay, my kids are now 19 and 20 and I would internally roll my eyes when parents would blather on and on about their kid's safety, especially when they were little.  Yeah, because before I had kids I drove with my left leg out of the window, smoked a bowl while chugging whiskey.  And I never wore a seat belt and danced on my roof at midnight!!!!  Cause I don't matter!!!  But the kids.....

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I hate pink leotard woman only because i thought it was Michelle Stafford/Phyllis Y&R when I first watched it and now I know it's not, but it's like the pink leotard woman is mocking me "I look like Michelle, don't I?, Definitely definitely"

I keep wondering if the actress puts on her resume that she played Bowel Irritation.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I keep wondering if the actress puts on her resume that she played Bowel Irritation.

This! I wonder that about her, I wonder about the people who sing the Pepto Bismal jingle, about the people who sing the annoying Daisy ode to cottage cheese...

• Love 3

I'm back to make my what feels like  my every few month complaint about the Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials. I used to be able to avoid them at times when watching live TV. That's not the case anymore though. It seems like over the Summer these commercials have made their way to just about every damn network that exists or every one that I happen to watch. They used to have like two or three different versions of their commercials but now it's like they have even more or it's the increase of how many times they are aired all day everyday that makes it seem that way.

There's also a Pampers commercial where a lady is supposed to be in active labor with someone telling her to push that's annoying me. Couldn't these companies just stick to the women in the fake hospitals having the babies put on their chests in their commercials instead of including delivery scenes too?

• Love 7
13 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I hate pink leotard woman only because i thought it was Michelle Stafford/Phyllis Y&R when I first watched it and now I know it's not, but it's like the pink leotard woman is mocking me "I look like Michelle, don't I?, Definitely definitely"

Oh god, now I can never unsee that.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I thought it was Kathy Griffin at first and figured that was sort of appropriate.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Simon47 said:

That analogy won't work as long as they're still selling chunky. And what do they think people do to their peanut butter that it has to be a fresh jar?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, hoopznyo said:

Dear Lumify,

Why do only women need/want whiter eyes?

Because there is a bottomless well of physical attributes upon which we women are being judged? I don't know. I'm actually kind of surprised whiter eyes hasn't been a criteria for beauty before now, since a whiter asshole (one's literal, actual asshole) has been a standard of beauty for years now. Bleached assholes.* Look it up, folks.

Edited by bilgistic
*"Anal bleaching" is the clinical procedure. Thanks to those who have alerted me to my error. ?
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Two recent commercials I hate involve kids. I hate the smooooooth Skippy Peanut Butter kid and the kid who takes his mother's thumb while she is "sleeping" on the couch and uses it to turn on the computer. I think I hate the mother more though. 

I almost feel sorry for this generation coming up.  By and large, they seem to have every material advantage but don't seem better off for it.  Makes me think of that young girl that bought all the stuff on Amazon without per parents' permission.  The tone of the newspaper articles was, "Isn't she precocious?"  No, she's a spoiled brat. 

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

you'll be sorry! I have not, I will not. I know better than look up something like that! lol.

Same. I did not know that was a thing until this thread, and the mere mention of it is all the more I think I need to know :p. 

• Love 2
On 8/22/2018 at 2:29 PM, peacheslatour said:

She has a show on Hallmark Movies and Mysteries called Flower Shop Mysteries or some shit.

Brooke Shields also did a multi-episode guest stint on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit last season. The story arc was cringe inducing, and not just for her acting, but the entire plot.

Edited by italianguy626
  • Love 5

The insurance company commercials, maybe it's Liberty, that have various idiots whining about something. One guy apparently chose the cheapest plan he could, then gets mad at his insurance company because they won't pay for everything. "You picked the wrong insurance plan." Smirking "No. I picked the wrong insurance company." Hey guy, YOU had a choice of plans. You pay minimum coverage but want all the perks?

Another has a woman talking about how "you smash your new car into a tree" but she's indignant the insurance company hikes her rates.

Perhaps the worst to me is the one where two teenage boys are stranded in the middle of the night with a flat tire. 1) Parents never showed their teenager how to change a tire? 2) Why are you letting your kid and friends drive the car in the middle of the night anyway??

Seems Liberty's new jingle is "Liberty, Liberty, Liiiiiiiiberty.." Someone may have made a million off of that idea.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I almost feel sorry for this generation coming up.  By and large, they seem to have every material advantage but don't seem better off for it.  Makes me think of that young girl that bought all the stuff on Amazon without per parents' permission.  The tone of the newspaper articles was, "Isn't she precocious?"  No, she's a spoiled brat. 

Well, to be fair her parents made her donate all that shit to charity.

• Love 2

It's her parents fault for letting her have access to the tablet without supervision in the first place. The story was that the mother let her track a Barbie that was ordered for her. But she wasn't supervised while doing this, and ordered a bunch of other stuff. Not cute, but the parents are at fault IMO. 

• Love 14

I almost feel sorry for this generation coming up. 

Having grown up in the 60s, I avoid complaining about this generation or that, having heard a steady stream of it myself.  I more feel sorry for them because of helicopter parents, the idea that everyone and everything is bad for them, that way too much is at their fingertips, that way too much time is spent on a screen instead of amusing themselves or each other, etc. The best memories are of mistakes I made, or stupid things I did because I was a kid (and often paid a price for), not something somebody gave me. In thirty years are they going to be saying, "If only I'd spent more time staring at my phone"?

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 16
24 minutes ago, ScoundrelJosie said:

The insurance company commercials, maybe it's Liberty, that have various idiots whining about something. One guy apparently chose the cheapest plan he could, then gets mad at his insurance company because they won't pay for everything. "You picked the wrong insurance plan." Smirking "No. I picked the wrong insurance company." Hey guy, YOU had a choice of plans. You pay minimum coverage but want all the perks?

Are they trying to say that you can't get cheap insurance at LM? There's a competitor that brags about being able to buy the minimum coverage required by law. I didn't know you couldn't do that everywhere, but maybe LM only sells policies with all the bells and whistles they mention in their ads.

33 minutes ago, ScoundrelJosie said:

Seems Liberty's new jingle is "Liberty, Liberty, Liiiiiiiiberty.." Someone may have made a million off of that idea.

I still remember when NBC traded in their peacock logo for the letter "N" (and got sued for infringement of somebody else's "N").

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, the Bounty commercial where the kid is playing pirate and jams a plastic sword into her dad's ass. I'm sorry but that kid would become initimately acquainted with the back of my hand.

This one instantly got my dander up!  They really should pull that commercial.

• Love 2
On 8/23/2018 at 6:48 PM, stewedsquash said:

Two recent commercials I hate involve kids. I hate the smooooooth Skippy Peanut Butter kid and the kid who takes his mother's thumb while she is "sleeping" on the couch and uses it to turn on the computer. I think I hate the mother more though. 

Isn't this for something laptop related?

Edited by TattleTeeny
EDIT: I am dumb; I read it as the same kid and got so confused!
  • Love 1