Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

47 minutes ago, millennium said:

The Ruby Tuesday commercial with the white mother rapping at the salad bar, played in HEAVY rotation on CNN.  Beyond annoying.   

It is playing appallingly often on other channels as well.  I hate it!

• Love 1

Two irritating commercials:

1 - In NYC on the news station, they consistently play a Subaru commercial in which this guy says, "In 1979 or something, his father bought him a Subaru station wagon." He went on about how it was not cool and that everyone else drove "sedans or SUVs." SUVs were not a thing in 1979.

2 - There is a Gain detergent commercial with a guy smelling a scarf or something and complaining that his gal-- who left him-- washed that a long time ago and he whined that it still smelled of detergent, I guess. What is odd is that at the bottom of the screen, it says in small letters "Out of storage" Is that supposed to mean that the thing was washed, put in storage and only has the smell a month or more later because it was stored? It just looked so weird to see that written on the screen.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

It is playing appallingly often on other channels as well.  I hate it!

It's not just that it's annoying either.  It's the premise that middle class white people trying to act hip hop is inherently humorous because they look stupid or absurd (which admittedly they do -- the classic indictment being the video for The Offspring's "Pretty Fly For a White Guy").

Can you imagine the outcry if you made a commercial where black people were deliberately made to look ridiculous because they were trying to parrot a traditionally white form of expression?   I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it.  But this is what happens when you see the same commercial 15-20 times a day (no exaggeration).

• Love 5

What's annoying me right now is the Walgreens commercial where the two frisky older ladies are shopping wearing only those wraparound towel cover ups with elastic across the top. So they buy 25 bottles of sunscreen, romp out to the nude beach, throw their arms in the air and then rip off the cover ups. Other than shopping at Walgreens, I don't know what the point was because my brain just shuts down that they aren't arrested wearing nothing but those cover ups in the store. I don't want to see ME naked, much less those two horny hags.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

There is a Gain detergent commercial with a guy smelling a scarf or something and complaining that his gal-- who left him-- washed that a long time ago and he whined that it still smelled of detergent, I guess. What is odd is that at the bottom of the screen, it says in small letters "Out of storage" Is that supposed to mean that the thing was washed, put in storage and only has the smell a month or more later because it was stored? It just looked so weird to see that written on the screen.

I really don't get that commercial at all. Is he sniffing it to smell her (to remember her) but it smells like detergent and he's mad it doesn't smell like her anymore? Like, did he think it would revert back to smelling like her? It's just a weird commerical to me.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

What's annoying me right now is the Walgreens commercial where the two frisky older ladies are shopping wearing only those wraparound towel cover ups with elastic across the top. So they buy 25 bottles of sunscreen, romp out to the nude beach, throw their arms in the air and then rip off the cover ups. Other than shopping at Walgreens, I don't know what the point was because my brain just shuts down that they aren't arrested wearing nothing but those cover ups in the store. I don't want to see ME naked, much less those two horny hags.

This commercial on it's face makes me laugh - I'm an old lady too and I have no desire to see myself or anyone like me naked. But their joy of setting themselves free tickles me. Plus I have a friend who, after getting divorced, decided to take a vacation in the Florida Keys. She really wanted a hotel that had a beach, which isn't common (according to her, never been). She found a place that advertised they had a "natural beach", so she booked it. When she got there, she found out that "natural" meant "nude". Always makes me chuckle.

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

their joy of setting themselves free tickles me.

Me, too. I'm sure the pharmacist is wondering what all the giggling is about. I also think they're wearing bathing suits while in the store. I've seen lots of people change clothes at the beach while wrapped only in a towel. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, configdotsys said:

2 - There is a Gain detergent commercial with a guy smelling a scarf or something and complaining that his gal-- who left him-- washed that a long time ago and he whined that it still smelled of detergent, I guess. What is odd is that at the bottom of the screen, it says in small letters "Out of storage" Is that supposed to mean that the thing was washed, put in storage and only has the smell a month or more later because it was stored? It just looked so weird to see that written on the screen.

The guy is Ty Burrell from "Modern Family", who's basically playing the same character he plays on the show.  In other words, obnoxiously annoying.

• Love 4

I like the old ladies. I don't see them as "horny," either. They're just being daring in their old age.  They look old enough to have been just a wee bit too old for the Flower Power cohort, so personal freedom was probably rare in their lifetimes. Good for them! 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Because the pharmacy has no line?

Which has never happened to me in the past 10 years. Where did these fictional ad humans live that the pharmacy line isn't somehow both "only three people in front of you" and yet also a 20 minute wait.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I like the old ladies. I don't see them as "horny," either. They're just being daring in their old age.  They look old enough to have been just a wee bit too old for the Flower Power cohort, so personal freedom was probably rare in their lifetimes. Good for them! 

Woodstock was in 1969, let's say they were 20 then, that would make them 68 now. How old do you think those ladies are?

• Love 7

I know this is because I am a curmudgeon, but it irritates me that Super Bowl commercials are increasingly released online days and weeks before the game.

I am also a person who loathes spoilers.  Super Bowl commercials are for the Super Bowl, dammit.  Don't ruin the surprise!

• Love 15

The stupid Little Debbie commercials.  Mothers (it's always mothers, fathers never feed their children) who are so overwhelmed that they throw mini muffins at their children and call it breakfast. They don't even pretend they have any redeeming value, such as nutrients. They're just easy, so "Here, kid, have some sugar and fat before heading off to school." 

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I thought they were supposed to be at a nude beach.

Hags?  Hope you never get old.

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

The thing that creeps me out about the old beach ladies is that I would never want to see my BFF naked, nor would I want her to see me naked, no matter what our ages are. 

Amen! I will be 60 this year and my BFF is 62. I love her dearly but frolicking on a nude beach together is not going to happen. And we teasingly call each other hags among other things.  

• Love 9

I don't know if the Papa John's ad I just saw is SB specific or just a commercial, but regardless it had more words in it than I think I have said the entire day.

Shut up, Papa.  I tuned out halfway through and only paid attention at the end so I could get the sponsor I am going to not patronize correct.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Quof said:

The stupid Little Debbie commercials.  Mothers (it's always mothers, fathers never feed their children) who are so overwhelmed that they throw mini muffins at their children and call it breakfast. They don't even pretend they have any redeeming value, such as nutrients. They're just easy, so "Here, kid, have some sugar and fat before heading off to school." 

This is my brother's awful wife, precisely. Their kids only eat little mini-muffins for breakfast. When their older son was 4 (now 14), she was feeding him a granola bar (which is nothing but sugar), but she told me I had to call them "Pop-Tarts."

• Love 3

Were they commercially prepared mini muffins, or were they at least homemade? Because you can make muffins with some nutritional value - substituting applesauce for the oil, adding grated fruits or vegetables, using whole wheat flour and whole grains.   I shudder to think what the ingredient label on Little Debbie's says.

• Love 4

I don't have Little Debbie's mini muffins, but I do have Entemann's butter cookie flavor (in my defense, my kid is 19 and I only got them for him to try as a snack, not a meal replacement). 

Ingredients...sugar, bleached wheat flour, eggs, water, butter (milk), blah blah blah.  15g sugar in one pouch, 10g fat with 3.5g sat fat.  

He ate one pouch in the month since I got them.

I hate that chip ad too, I feel like she should be opening those chips in black and white in the "before" part of an infomercial.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Quof said:

Were they commercially prepared mini muffins, or were they at least homemade? Because you can make muffins with some nutritional value - substituting applesauce for the oil, adding grated fruits or vegetables, using whole wheat flour and whole grains.   I shudder to think what the ingredient label on Little Debbie's says.

No, they're Entenmann's Little Bites. All they eat is processed snacks and fast food, every damn day. The only days of the year my brother and his awful wife have  home-cooked food is on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The sad thing is they both can cook, have the time to do so, they just can't be bothered.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Popples said:

This is my brother's awful wife, precisely. Their kids only eat little mini-muffins for breakfast. When their older son was 4 (now 14), she was feeding him a granola bar (which is nothing but sugar), but she told me I had to call them "Pop-Tarts."

"Here, Sweetie have some boneless, skinless steamed chicken breasts, they're totally from KFC!"

• Love 4

Woodstock was in 1969, let's say they were 20 then, that would make them 68 now. How old do you think those ladies are?

Since I'll be 68 in May, and they look plenty older than me, I'd say mid 70s. And if they've been using sunscreen all along, even older.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Two irritating commercials:

1 - In NYC on the news station, they consistently play a Subaru commercial in which this guy says, "In 1979 or something, his father bought him a Subaru station wagon." He went on about how it was not cool and that everyone else drove "sedans or SUVs." SUVs were not a thing in 1979.

Haven't seen it - so he was in high school and this was his first car? Oh, not even. That's when I started high school, and the cool cars were Trans Ams; next step down were Datsun 280ZXs. It was only a couple of years after Smokey and the Bandit!

Plus, if parents did buy station wagons, they kept the new one and gave the kid the old one.

• Love 5

When we go in to get our taxes done I am going to kiss our accountant on the mouth and tell him I am so glad he is not Turbo Tax.  I DID NOT need to see Humpty Dumpty vomit egg yolk, thank you very much.

• Love 9

All commercials related to urination and defecation.   Especially "Enjoy the go!" with that stupid bear boasting the toilet paper will leave you so clean you can wear your underwear a second day.   And VI-Poop, the toxin you spray around your host's toilet so they won't know you went Number Two under their roof.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, millennium said:

All commercials related to urination and defecation.   Especially "Enjoy the go!" with that stupid bear boasting the toilet paper will leave you so clean you can wear your underwear a second day.   And VI-Poop, the toxin you spray around your host's toilet so they won't know you went Number Two under their roof.

Luckily I've somehow missed this one.  I thought going commando was still all the rage.  I'm so behind the times.  (pun intended)

• Love 4

84 Lumber had the biggest fail of the night IMO.

First I read that their website crashed so people who did go to see the rest of the ad couldn't. Second, just show the whole thing during the damn game.  I'm not going to chase down your website when you could just tell me when I'm already watching.  It's like stopping in the middle of a sentence and expecting me to follow you to hear the rest of it.  And I have no idea what 84 Lumber has to do with immigration, and the only way I will find out is if it's summarized somewhere I happen to already be looking at.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

First I read that their website crashed so people who did go to see the rest of the ad couldn't. Second, just show the whole thing during the damn game.  I'm not going to chase down your website when you could just tell me when I'm already watching.  It's like stopping in the middle of a sentence and expecting me to follow you to hear the rest of it.  And I have no idea what 84 Lumber has to do with immigration, and the only way I will find out is if it's summarized somewhere I happen to already be looking at.

The full commercial is posted in "Controversial Commercials".

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

I didn't understand the Skittles ad.  Katy?  Can someone explain it.  And where was Marshawn Lynch?  A Skittles ad without Lynch?

The boy is throwing Skittles through the window to get Katie's attention. However, instead of coming to the window to answer him, Katie is quietly catching the Skittles in her mouth; along with her family, a burglar, a cop, and a groundhog (?).

I'm not sure how Marshawn Lynch would factor into the ad, though.

Edited by InDueTime
I needed to add a word.
  • Love 2

It is bad enough that we have to suffer with a useless & annoying product like Amazon Echo. Now we have what looks like a piece of junk called Google Home. As if we need more ways to make people even more lazy & useless than they already are. BTW, that Google Home commercial sucked.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Oh! Oh! I have another one, and if this hasn't been discussed, I'll eat my tie. (I don't have a tie and I wouldn't eat it if I did. Figure of speech).

The setting: 2000s era pop video set.

The cast: Nameless boy band, visers flipped upside down on noggin of over-gelled hair, white kids in gold rope chains and white track suits.

Aaaand action....

"I have a structured settlement but I need cash now...

Call Jaayy Geeeee Wentworth...877 CASH NOW

I have an annuity but I need cash noooow...."

The only thing that may get that out of my head is a frontal lobotomy. The series of shock treatments have been ineffective thus far.

I love the opera ad.

• Love 10
54 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

I'm not sure how Marshawn Lynch factor into the ad, though.

Lynch was a running back for the Seattle Seahawks -- famous for his love of Skittles.  Maybe just famous in the Pacific Northwest though, so it'd be sort of an inside joke.  

One of Lynch's runs got the Seatt;le fans so excited -- jumping up and down -- that the impact in the stadium registered on a seismograph as an 2.0 earthquake.  He's also the player who should have been given the ball on the Patriots one-yard line in the last few seconds SB 49.  Instead, coach called a pass play.  The pass was intercepted and the Patriots won the game. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

First I read that their website crashed so people who did go to see the rest of the ad couldn't. Second, just show the whole thing during the damn game.

They would have, but Fox made them cut it.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

Super Bowl commercials are for the Super Bowl, dammit.  Don't ruin the surprise!

I watched the whole damn game waiting for the one commercial I wanted to see but never saw it!  It was the Honda yearbook ad.  At least having seen a clip a few days ago I knew about it and can look for it online.

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oh, you have to watch the whole thing.  And bring an extra large box of kleenex.  It's well worth the trouble.

And where was Marshawn Lynch?  A Skittles ad without Lynch?

That would have been hilarious.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

Second, just show the whole thing during the damn game.  I'm not going to chase down your website when you could just tell me when I'm already watching.  It's like stopping in the middle of a sentence and expecting me to follow you to hear the rest of it.  And I have no idea what 84 Lumber has to do with immigration, and the only way I will find out is if it's summarized somewhere I happen to already be looking at.

From what I saw on the news, the commercial ends with the immigrants coming to a wall.    The sponsor made a last-minute change fearing political backlash.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, millennium said:

From what I saw on the news, the commercial ends with the immigrants coming to a wall.    The sponsor made a last-minute change fearing political backlash.

Fox wouldn't air it in its entirety, so they modified it to remove the ending and show it on their web site.

• Love 7
On 2/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, theatremouse said:

Which has never happened to me in the past 10 years. Where did these fictional ad humans live that the pharmacy line isn't somehow both "only three people in front of you" and yet also a 20 minute wait.

Around here, you generally don't see a line at a pharmacy counter unless you're in Walmart. Most people seem to be opting for a drive-thru.

• Love 2
On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, Mabinogia said:

I really don't get that commercial at all. Is he sniffing it to smell her (to remember her) but it smells like detergent and he's mad it doesn't smell like her anymore? Like, did he think it would revert back to smelling like her? It's just a weird commerical to me.

No, he's trying to forget her, but the scarf still smells like the detergent she used.  (After having been in storage for weeks, of course.)  I find it kind of amusing when he tries to throw the scarf away and the wind tosses it back in his face.  It's basically a parody of pretentious perfume ads.

And now I have the old Windsong perfume jingle in my head: "I can't seem to forget her, her Windsong stays on my mind".

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9
On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, theatremouse said:

The one lady is already at the pharmacy counter getting a prescription when the commercial starts.  The other one joins her and they add the sunscreen to the prescription and pay for it all together.  I see that happen at the Walmart pharmacy all the time.

23 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Amen! I will be 60 this year and my BFF is 62. I love her dearly but frolicking on a nude beach together is not going to happen. And we teasingly call each other hags among other things.  

I wouldn't want to either, but I've got nothing against those who do.

• Love 4
On 2/5/2017 at 8:29 AM, theatremouse said:

At the drugstore near me, during off-peak hours the pharmacy line is the only one with anyone staffing it. There will be someone at the front checkout when you walk in but they'll have vanished by the time you find what you want.

• Love 3