Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

My mother got opiates for her shingles without any constipation meds, and she wound up heavily backed up.

I was on pain meds for a ruptured disk about 20 years ago. I remember being constipated but assumed it was b/c of the sciatica. Now I know why!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I remember once on Howard Stern's long-ago TV show (I'm showing my age!), he shove a handful of Meow Mix into his face (surrounded by his Louis XIV hair of the early '90s) and looked straight into the camera and said, "meow." Haha, now he's a big cat-rescue guy!

That sounds like Howard Stern.  I know his present wife love cats and I think Howard does too.  He used to talk about his cat a lot on his radio show (in the 90's) he'd call it the Cheshire Cat or something like that. 

40 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

That sounds like Howard Stern.  I know his present wife love cats and I think Howard does too.  He used to talk about his cat a lot on his radio show (in the 90's) he'd call it the Cheshire Cat or something like that. 

I don't recall him having a cat back when he was still with his first wife. But yes, his current wife works a lot with Notth Shore Animal League and dedicates her social-media accounts as well as their home to cat rescue. Haha, Howard (who's mellowed over the years and is, IMO, funnier than ever) loves when he's put in charge of a foster cat or two. But I'm digressing from peeves, so here's a Howard-related one:

How in the holy hell do I always manage to catch the same hour of his Sirius show going to and returning from work, dammit?! I don't even start driving at the same time every day!

EDIT:

HOLY HELL, I thought I was in Pet Peeves!  Sorry, ugh--carry on!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It's not prohibited to pay people to participate and provide their own opinions. It is prohibited to pay them and require them to state a positive opinion of the product (unless you're not claiming "real people" in which case you can pay them to say what you want, but then they're basically the same as actors).

But nothing is stopping the people from saying what they think somebody wants to hear. The "Lie Witness News" segment Jimmy Kimmel does is a demonstration.

10 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I did eat a Milk Bone once;  it was kind of like a dry wheat biscuit.

I once read that you shouldn't feed dog food to a cat because the standards for contaminants were different. Apparently, dogs have a high tolerance for some things, so a manufacturer can get away with more. The article singled out lead as an example.

• Love 1

The commercials I'm hating right now are for Let it Go, the app on which you can quickly (?) sell your stuff.  "Do we really need to take your banana seat bicycle up Mt Everest with us?"  "I love it, it reminds me of my childhood."  "I know, let's sell it."  "OK".  So this item is so important, but they'll agree to sell it at the merest suggestion?  So stupid and illogical.

My brother has moved three times and is about to move for a fourth and he still has his Lionel trains from the late 40s/early 50s in boxes. My SIL is so fed up at moving those boxes, especially since she got rid of a bunch of HER sentimental stuff before they moved the first time.  Maybe she should "Let it go" while he's busy, playing with the cats.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My brother has moved three times and is about to move for a fourth and he still has his Lionel trains from the late 40s/early 50s in boxes.

Those are collectibles. A quick google says that pieces from that era go from around 20 bucks to hundreds of dollars each depending on the item.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Those are collectibles. A quick google says that pieces from that era go from around 20 bucks to hundreds of dollars each depending on the item.

Yeah, original Lionel trains in their boxes in good condition are worth moving again and again.

• Love 6

The trains are in good condition; the boxes not so much. He's got a whole bunch of Plasticville buildings, too. He agrees they're worth something; my SIL thinks he ought to get off his ass and SELL them for whatever they're worth, so they can afford to move yet again. Storage space in newer homes is at a premium. Somebody could be getting some enjoyment out of them, instead of them being buried in a storage room.

What's sad is neither of his kids want them. Apparently, they don't conjure up fond memories for them.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1

All of the talk about shaving in the Small Talk thread is reminding of how annoying the Dollar Shave Club ads are. I don't pretend to be a connoisseur where razors are concerned, but its incredibly irritating that these dudes are acting like its as important a decision as where they should go to college. Hey, Dollar Shave guy, I'll club ya if you want a club.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

The commercials I'm hating right now are for Let it Go, the app on which you can quickly (?) sell your stuff.  "Do we really need to take your banana seat bicycle up Mt Everest with us?"  "I love it, it reminds me of my childhood."  "I know, let's sell it."  "OK".  So this item is so important, but they'll agree to sell it at the merest suggestion?  So stupid and illogical.

I don't recall any of the owners saying "OK"--the other person goes "Let's sell it on Letgo," then immediately posts it.

2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I had a bite of one once to see if they taste like the people version.  (They do not.)

I've read that some kids tried Gaines Burgers(remember them?)thinking they would taste like hamburgers(they didn't).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, original Lionel trains in their boxes in good condition are worth moving again and again.

My husband is the manager of one of the largest model rail road stores in the country. You might get some money if you sell them on ebay but the market for model trains is a rapidly dying demographic. In a few years they won't be worth shit. Sell them now!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Those commercials are the worst. If the person wanted to sell whatever it is, there are plenty of ways to sell stuff. The commercial doesn't say why one should use this particular site? Is it because whoever is going to buy your shit magically shows up that second? Because, okay, I could see the benefit of that, however it is not actually physically possible, so I still don't get why this site is better than any other way to sell stuff.

Oh, wait, I get it, you can sell other people's stuff against their wishes! That's the one thing all the commercials have in common.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

If the person wanted to sell whatever it is, there are plenty of ways to sell stuff. The commercial doesn't say why one should use this particular site? Is it because whoever is going to buy your shit magically shows up that second? Because, okay, I could see the benefit of that, however it is not actually physically possible, so I still don't get why this site is better than any other way to sell stuff.

In defense of these... I've sold my kids' old car-seats on LetGo and OfferUp, and in most cases people literally message you within minutes asking if they can come by and give you money for your stuff.  Assuming you're selling good stuff at a reasonable price, the commercials aren't making an empty promise.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I once read that you shouldn't feed dog food to a cat because the standards for contaminants were different. Apparently, dogs have a high tolerance for some things, so a manufacturer can get away with more. The article singled out lead as an example.

I know dogs should not eat cat food - the moisture levels are very different and they'll get bloated. Mine did that once. I don't think my cat was ever tempted to eat the dog food, though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband is the manager of one of the largest model rail road stores in the country. You might get some money if you sell them on ebay but the market for model trains is a rapidly dying demographic. In a few years they won't be worth shit. Sell them now!

Depends - if you find the right person, who's really into trains - it would be worth it.  But yeah, searching out the collectors is important.

I like some of the LetGo ads - specifically the amplifier one - but the grill one still bugs, mainly because I have never, ever heard anyone use the phrase 'grilling out'.  (Something which may or may not be a regional thing.)

• Love 3

Look, I like dogs.  More than people most of the time.   So I'm really annoyed, irritated and enraged that the trend seems to be to give dogs annoying human voices and have them act obnoxious. 

I'm the craziest animal lover around, but for some reason the recent trend of saying "forever home" really annoys me. I'm not even sure why, but whenever I see a commercial where it says a dog has found his "forever home" it bugs. Maybe because on some level I know it's potentially false and makes me sad - too many people bring dogs home then take them back or abandon them. Or maybe because it's a catchphrase that sounds like a bunch of politically correct PETA people came up with like "dog parent" instead of "owner."

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

All of the talk about shaving in the Small Talk thread is reminding of how annoying the Dollar Shave Club ads are. I don't pretend to be a connoisseur where razors are concerned, but its incredibly irritating that these dudes are acting like its as important a decision as where they should go to college. Hey, Dollar Shave guy, I'll club ya if you want a club.

Aww, I kinda like those.

31 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

I know dogs should not eat cat food - the moisture levels are very different and they'll get bloated. Mine did that once. I don't think my cat was ever tempted to eat the dog food, though.

Dogs also eat recycled cat food, iykwim :)

• Love 10

I hate the wording in the sewing machine one: something like, "Do you sew much?" "Not since my sewing days." So you haven't sewn since you've sewn? OK--is that like, "Have you eaten?" "Not since I last ate."

• Love 7

Dude, speaking as a Black male, it doesn't matter if you are wearing a suit and have every right to be there, I can assure that trying to crawl through a doggy door in a affluent neighborhood will probably result in your arrest.

Or worse.

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Dude, speaking as a Black male, it doesn't matter if you are wearing a suit and have every right to be there, I can assure that trying to crawl through a doggy door in a affluent neighborhood will probably result in your arrest.

Or worse.

You're right and it sucks.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Look, I like dogs.  More than people most of the time.   So I'm really annoyed, irritated and enraged that the trend seems to be to give dogs annoying human voices and have them act obnoxious. 

I'm sure who it is, but there's a car company with a long-running joke about dogs buying and driving their cars that annoys me. I'm not sure what the point is!

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Uh-oh! I have one from my grandfather I will eventually sell.

• Love 1

Uh-oh! I have one from my grandfather I will eventually sell.

Do it quick. People who collect toys are usually people who had them as kids. Kids today (and by that I mean anyone under thirty) have zero interest anything that doesn't have a console or work in a device. We have been watching prices steadily decline for the last ten years. People bring their deceased relatives collections into the shop all the time hoping to sell them to us and we give them all the same advice: Put them on ebay or craigslist. We don't want them, we have a hard enough time getting rid of the ones we have. Don't get me wrong, there are still die hard collectors out there, but they are rapidly dwindling.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate the wording in the sewing machine one: something like, "Do you sew much?" "Not since my sewing days." So you haven't sewn since you've sewn? OK--is that like, "Have you eaten?" "Not since I last ate."

I hear it as "Not since my sewing phase."  Which makes perfect sense to me, as someone who went through one twenty years ago.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Wearing a suit doesn't matter because any smart thief will dress to avoid suspicion. I don't know why that dude is trying to crawl through the door, but I can't think of any explanation that would satisfy a cop. What kind of real estate agent will break into the house if they don't have a key and they get there ahead of the owner? The woman should dump that company and find somebody else.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm the craziest animal lover around, but for some reason the recent trend of saying "forever home" really annoys me. I'm not even sure why, but whenever I see a commercial where it says a dog has found his "forever home" it bugs. Maybe because on some level I know it's potentially false and makes me sad - too many people bring dogs home then take them back or abandon them. Or maybe because it's a catchphrase that sounds like a bunch of politically correct PETA people came up with like "dog parent" instead of "owner."

A lot of agencies have taken on the term "forever home". I think they're trying to stress the idea that adopting a pet is making a commitment for the life of the animal, but, as  you said, that doesn't matter to many people.  And of course there are times when pets outlive their people or people have other legitimate reasons to have to rehome their animals.  Then again I hate "dog parent" because it goes with the term "fur babies" which makes me extra stabby.  They are companion animals.  Uh oh, I may be part of the problem, not part of the solution. 

1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Wearing a suit doesn't matter because any smart thief will dress to avoid suspicion. I don't know why that dude is trying to crawl through the door, but I can't think of any explanation that would satisfy a cop. What kind of real estate agent will break into the house if they don't have a key and they get there ahead of the owner? The woman should dump that company and find somebody else.

I saw it as he is showing the potential buyer that the doggy door works. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

My brother's cats like to nibble on the dog food occasionally, but they try to discourage it. I think the main reason they shouldn't eat each other's food is that cat food is more calorically dense since they're (usually) smaller. A dog eating cat food would get fat and a cat eating dog food would be malnourished. Plus cats need taurine in levels not normally found in dog food.

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I like some of the LetGo ads - specifically the amplifier one - but the grill one still bugs, mainly because I have never, ever heard anyone use the phrase 'grilling out'.  (Something which may or may not be a regional thing.)

"Grilling out" is definitely a regional thing. I've heard it both ways.

Edited by riley702
didn't need to quote the whole post
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I HATE this commercial for Deal Dash (which is flimflammery at its finest). I don't understand the "couple" that talks to the shyster at the mall. The male half of the couple looks young enough to be the woman's son. Her acting is SO BAD. What is the point of it all?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Tc0/dealdash

^^^THIS. Plus, the "mother" looks VERY angry at the Deal Dash guy.  Also, people, don't fall for this fair and honest BS.  Read the fine print.  They have to pay the cost of the item plus the costs of the bids.  I was able to read the fine print, and it said something about having to bid 400 times to win this auction!  At a dollar a bid, that TV that costs forty dollars will cost 400+ dollars!

• Love 3

a few years ago, my teenage great-nephew and I watched a couple of the auctions on dealdash. I knew it was a load of crap, but with him being a teenager, he had to see for himself. Teenagers always know everything! I was tired of watching within a couple of seconds, it took him a little longer and we never did see an item sell.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate the wording in the sewing machine one: something like, "Do you sew much?" "Not since my sewing days." So you haven't sewn since you've sewn?--is that like, "Have you eaten?" "Not since I last ate."

Oh, maybe it is. Still lazy writing, IMO.

I think it was written to sound intentionally ridiculous. Said by someone skydiving with a sewing machine. 

Children losing interest in model trains and other classic toys makes me sad.

• Love 5

I don't mean in terms of the scenario being deliberately silly; I mean in a technical-writing sense and in terms of "flow." I'd have changed it if it were my job (I'll drop it; it's not a very interesting POV, I'm sure! Just something I notice, considering my own career, I guess). 

On 1/22/2017 at 6:08 PM, docmatt said:

They can get the car fixed, but the marriage is done

Now you guys mention it, they sound just like the couples on House Hunters. Troubled marriage for sure.

On 1/22/2017 at 7:46 AM, configdotsys said:

The Mercedes commercial with the boy being driven in heavy snow to meet a date at the movie would not have been so bad, but the look on the boy's face when he walks out of the theater, like a pissed off, entitled punk with a "how dare she not show up for me" look on his face is just nauseating. I was sad to see that the girl showed up.

I thought it was a sad face. It was strange, though, that both sets of parents were risking life and limb to drive through snow so their young kids could sit together in an empty movie theater doing God-knows-what. And no one has a cell phone? "Hey, you comin'?"

It reminded me of a friend whose high school boyfriend walked through a blizzard to visit her because he promised her he'd come over. They ended up getting married and having six kids together...And now they're divorced, so I have no idea what the moral of my story is.   

• Love 8

Also, people, don't fall for this fair and honest BS.  Read the fine print.  They have to pay the cost of the item plus the costs of the bids.

All thru the segment of the commercial where they're saying you can get a camera for $5 or a computer for $10 or an iPad for $15 there is a caption across the bottom that says "results not typical." 

• Love 1

Children losing interest in model trains and other classic toys makes me sad.

It makes my hubby sad too. The Harry Potter Hogwarts Express and the Polar Express sets were kind of a fad for a while. Of course for the really little kids there is always Thomas, but they tend to lose interest after that.

And now they're divorced, so I have no idea what the moral of my story is.

Lol. "Don't care , had sex" is usually the moral.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
On 1/24/2017 at 5:41 PM, xaxat said:

Or worse.

What does that have to do with it? Crawling through a doggy door is likely to get anyone arrested, because it makes you look like you're doing a B&E, and even corrupt and/or racist cops know that white people commit crimes too.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, OmegaX123 said:

What does that have to do with it? Crawling through a doggy door is likely to get anyone arrested, because it makes you look like you're doing a B&E, and even corrupt and/or racist cops know that white people commit crimes too.

whoosh

• Love 10

There's a Honda ad with 20-something female who acts and sounds like an airhead and at the end she says "Don't settle for less than a Honda."  Then she says "I didn't" but she pronounces it as "diddnt" and it drives me crazy.  

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

There's a Honda ad with 20-something female who acts and sounds like an airhead and at the end she says "Don't settle for less than a Honda."  Then she says "I didn't" but she pronounces it as "diddnt" and it drives me crazy.  

As messages go, that's pretty lame. She could say the same thing regardless of whether Honda was near the top or one step above a Yugo.

• Love 2

Well, she's pretty lame as well as the message.  I can understand having someone young to appeal to millennials, but I just don't get why they had someone who comes off as such a ditz.  It's an insult to the young'uns.

• Love 1
On 1/24/2017 at 2:57 PM, proserpina65 said:

Depends - if you find the right person, who's really into trains - it would be worth it.  But yeah, searching out the collectors is important.

I live in Wisconsin and we say "grill out" all the time.

• Love 2