Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

The tax ads don't stop with the deadline; they keep going for a while with a new emphasis on helping people who missed the deadline.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but was simply expanding on BW Manilowe's summary of tax deadline dates, and wasn't the OP on the topic.

Edited by Tunia

With all due respect, I've never heard of Tax Day being late in the US because it's a leap year, so I Googled.

I apologize - I was going by what the local Baltimore news station said, that it was the combination of February having an extra day due to the leap year and the weekend.  It doesn't suprise me at all that they got the reason bass-ackwards.

Oprah's Weight Watchers ads are getting more and more ridiculous. This latest one has her crowing over the fact that she loves bread, people! Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And she lost weight while eating Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead! 

Wow, Oprah, that's like . . . a freaking miracle! How amazing! You mean, you can eat bread on your diet? That's just one step below curing cancer.

• Love 13

Evidently Oprah is both eating and making bread. I heard on the news after the bread commercial aired, stocks in WW jumped up. I've read she owns 10% of WW, and my husband tells me that makes her the majority stockholder. And congrats to her on the 26 pound loss - nothing to sneeze at.

• Love 4

I apologize - I was going by what the local Baltimore news station said, that it was the combination of February having an extra day due to the leap year and the weekend.  It doesn't suprise me at all that they got the reason bass-ackwards.

I guess if their thinking were the 16th wouldn't have been a Saturday without the leap day? But that's a roundabout way to think about it. Hence I would not put it past local newscasters.

^^^Further complicated by the fact that Monday, April 18 is Patriots Day in Maine and Massachusetts, so those two states have until Tuesday, April 19 to file.

Yup. But my office is closing stuff down on the 18th, so if you haven't extended by then, tough titty.

• Love 3

So, here's my current makes-me-homicidal commercial. I wish I had a link for y'all, but it pisses me off something fierce and I hope I can do it justice.

It's for the local hospital's bariatric clinic advertising weight loss surgery (and I could go on and on about advertising for medical procedures, prescriptions, etc). Dirty lens alert - I've always struggled with my weight. I've lost 40 pounds and still have a way to go and I could throttle the assholes who say "just don't eat dessert!" Anyway, the happy customer's starting weight is about 20 pounds higher than my goal weight. I'm assuming she's a lot shorter than me, but still, having a dangerous surgery to lose 50 pounds is not my impression of what such surgery is for. That's for people who are large enough that it's causing serious medical problems. Maybe she's a special case that really needed it, and I'm not judging on that front, but putting this case out there as normal seems really irresponsible to me.

• Love 8

LEAVE THAT WHALE ALONE!

I wonder how much he'd like it if I started shoving golf balls up his nose.

This one actually made me laugh, although they could use a disclaimer saying that no humpbacks were harmed in the filming of this commercial.  I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer(?) hit a golf ball into a whale's blowhole.

• Love 2

LEAVE THAT WHALE ALONE!

One of the YT comments was "Do not go gentle into that good night... Whale, whale, against the dying of the light...", which made me laugh.

• Love 5

I guess if their thinking were the 16th wouldn't have been a Saturday without the leap day? But that's a roundabout way to think about it. Hence I would not put it past local newscasters.

I doubt they knew anything about Emancipation Day at all.  I think they just heard that the deadline had been extended and decided that the leap year added a day to February and that must be why.  Who knows?  They're just reading stuff off their teleprompters.

• Love 1

There's a new commercial for Letgo.com, where two men in business suits are running through the woods while being followed by people shooting at them.  One of the men is dragging a large gas grill behind him and the other suggests selling it on letgo.com because they never use it.  Now, overall I find the commercial amusing, especially the police helicopter that comes along to buy the grill, but there's one thing in it that annoys the hell out of me: when guy #2 suggests selling the grill, he asks guy #1 "when's the last time you grilled out?".  Not "grilled" or "barbecued" or "cooked out" - "grilled out".  Who the hell says that?

• Love 3

LEAVE THAT WHALE ALONE!

"I shall spend my life finding answers to these questions."

I'll save you some time.  It's because you are a stupid douchenozzle.  Done.

• Love 4

that psoriasis ad where the people keep saying "See me" is making me scream.

The thing that annoys me most is they act like I'm some kind of a creep for noticing their spots or sores or whatever's going on there, as opposed to seeing "them." I don't know you lady, so for all I know you've got poison ivy and I should stay the hell away.

I keep expecting them to start singing "See Me, Feel Me" from "Tommy."

Snorted laughing! And now I'm going to laugh every time I see that commercial. Thanks!

Oprah's Weight Watchers ads are getting more and more ridiculous. This latest one has her crowing over the fact that she loves bread, people! Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And she lost weight while eating Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead! 

Wow, Oprah, that's like . . . a freaking miracle! How amazing! You mean, you can eat bread on your diet? That's just one step below curing cancer.

I know! You can eat whatever the hell you want so long as you're burning more calories than you eat. Live on butter sticks if you want, it doesn't matter!

• Love 2

I agree that H&R Block has GOT to retire the "get your billions back" old dude. Get a new schtick! Of course I roll my eyes at the "it's refund season" part because I DID use H&R Block for the first time last year in 10 years and I owed MORE than I've ever owed. (note: it's not H&R's fault, it's my employer's fault for not taking out the correct amount of state taxes). But still.  I can't help but associate them now with writing a large, painful check.

RCharter, on 25 Jan 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

^^sorry, but how can one not ask why you were reading up on hot-tub illnesses?  Were you planning a trip in a time machine back to 1992 so you could be on a cheesy dating show?  I'm down with it, but thats the only time I remember public/communal hot tubs being popular....

I mean... hot tubs are still around..?  Lots of upscale vacation resorts have them and anytime we go skiing with my friends, we rent a ski house that has one. 

As for the feces "fact"... ehhh seems unlikely. 

• Love 1

I thought so, too.  Maybe, if it was a kiddie pool, but not adults.  The desk clerk did tell me nobody showers before they go in, like they're asked to do.  Well, I did.  I was covered in sunblock; I had to get that crap off me.

• Love 2

Of course I roll my eyes at the "it's refund season" part because I DID use H&R Block for the first time last year in 10 years and I owed MORE than I've ever owed. (note: it's not H&R's fault, it's my employer's fault for not taking out the correct amount of state taxes).

It's called "refund season" because people who are expecting money back tend to want it as soon as possible, so the early part of the year is weighted towards returns getting refunds. Of course, some people just want to be done with the task.

I agree that H&R Block has GOT to retire the "get your billions back" old dude. Get a new schtick! Of course I roll my eyes at the "it's refund season" part because I DID use H&R Block for the first time last year in 10 years and I owed MORE than I've ever owed. (note: it's not H&R's fault, it's my employer's fault for not taking out the correct amount of state taxes). But still.  I can't help but associate them now with writing a large, painful check.

I mean... hot tubs are still around..?  Lots of upscale vacation resorts have them and anytime we go skiing with my friends, we rent a ski house that has one. 

There is a news item this last week with a group of people defecating in pools and hot tubs on purpose.

• Love 2

The H&R Block accountant who loved bellowing "Get your billions back, America!" has returned with a terrible, unfunny hip-hop commercial. I'm sure he's a delightful fellow, but the ads annoy the shit out of me.

I agree with you on the annoying ads, but the accountant is a very nice man. His name is Richard Garland, and he's a real accountant, not an actor pretending to be an accountant.  There are several ads each season, and some are better than others. 

• Love 2

"You get a slice of bread! You get a slice of bread! You get a slice of bread!"
  • Love 12

I doubt they knew anything about Emancipation Day at all.  I think they just heard that the deadline had been extended and decided that the leap year added a day to February and that must be why.  Who knows?  They're just reading stuff off their teleprompters.

Stay classy, San Diego.

• Love 3

Just for the record, my son did a simple return on the H&R Block site, then on the TurboTax site using the same numbers.  On H&R he ended up owing money, on TT he got a refund.  He submitted the TT return.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

I went to WW for my monthly weigh-in yesterday, and decided to stay for the meeting. The topic of the week was how to deal with eating out. One of the things mentioned was to be aware of the points (calories) of the complimentary bread basket put on the table. Cracked me up thinking about Oprah's "I can eat bread!".

• Love 2

I went to WW for my monthly weigh-in yesterday, and decided to stay for the meeting. The topic of the week was how to deal with eating out. One of the things mentioned was to be aware of the points (calories) of the complimentary bread basket put on the table. Cracked me up thinking about Oprah's "I can eat bread!".

Oprah "I CAN EAT BREAD!!!!"

fine print: "I can eat two slices of bread every other day, terms and conditions may vary, you may be limited to one piece of bread, depending on the bread"

• Love 6

Just for the record, my son did a simple return on the H&R Block site, then on the TurboTax site using the same numbers.  On H&R he ended up owing money, on TT he got a refund.  He submitted the TT return.

I did the same thing - got the same numbers.  TT wanted $72.98 to e-file; HRB just wanted na-na-na.  I put the $9.99 on my credit card and expect my state refund by Tuesday.  Feds may take a little longer.

(I HATE that cowboy/na-na-na ad)

• Love 3

Just for the record, my son did a simple return on the H&R Block site, then on the TurboTax site using the same numbers.  On H&R he ended up owing money, on TT he got a refund.  He submitted the TT return.

I'd be highly suspicious of getting two different answers, and I would do a lot more research to find out why there was a difference. If your son does owe money, he'll get a letter from the IRS, and they add on interest and penalties.

• Love 1

This one actually made me laugh, although they could use a disclaimer saying that no humpbacks were harmed in the filming of this commercial.  I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer(?) hit a golf ball into a whale's blowhole.

"Was it a Titleist?"

George holds up ball.

"What do you know, a hole in one!"

• Love 4

Would it be too much to ask if  the GEICO Peter Pan could crash  the Walgreen's purple-dyed haired grannies' high school reunion to dis them for thinking THAT would make them look anything other than sad and desperate and not a MOMENT younger in appearance?

• Love 4

There's a new commercial for Letgo.com, where two men in business suits are running through the woods while being followed by people shooting at them.  One of the men is dragging a large gas grill behind him and the other suggests selling it on letgo.com because they never use it.  Now, overall I find the commercial amusing, especially the police helicopter that comes along to buy the grill, but there's one thing in it that annoys the hell out of me: when guy #2 suggests selling the grill, he asks guy #1 "when's the last time you grilled out?".  Not "grilled" or "barbecued" or "cooked out" - "grilled out".  Who the hell says that?

In that commercial he actually asks when was the last time we grilled out. As for "grilled out" maybe it is a southern thing or an ethnic thing, but I and just about every one I know since birth have been using the term grilling out, we went to a grill out, let's have a grill out for your birthday, we grilled out last night, and so on.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 5

We in Wisconsin say "grilled out" all the time.  We don't call it "a grill out", like it's an event, but we grill out for dinner, grill out before the baseball game, 'come on over after work and we'll grill out'.

• Love 3

And when she throws up her arms to emphasize breeeaaaad, her arm fat jiggles.

• Love 5

I cannot STAND these Food, Glorious Food commercials for Cox. What the hell are they selling? In the future, you can... Print rocket shaped Cheetos maybe someday? I don't understand!

Edited by butterbody

I can't find the comment, but someone posted about the tax commercial with the cowboys "na-na-nan"

Whoa.  Its like one of those terrible SNL skits that would have been funny if they cut it in half, but it just went on and on and on.  I get it....cowboys saying 9.99....over and over, and now I can't even remember the company, all I remember is na-na-nan

• Love 1

When I first saw the Letitgo.com grill out commercial, I wasn't exactly paying attention and thought Grill Guy was hauling an elegant gray casket through the woods. I could not begin to imagine what product or service the spot was advertising. I was relieved to quickly discover it was a harmless BBQ grill.

• Love 5