Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

I loathe Taylor Swift in the best of times -- I think she's a phony, a nasty bitch who holds a grudge against people she perceives to have wronged her, while carefully cultivating a sweetheart image -- but Ford's use of "Fight Song" ratchets that hate to a whole new level.

• Love 6

I loathe Taylor Swift in the best of times -- I think she's a phony, a nasty bitch who holds a grudge against people she perceives to have wronged her, while carefully cultivating a sweetheart image -- but Ford's use of "Fight Song" ratchets that hate to a whole new level.

That's not Taylor Swift, it's Rachel Platten.

There's a new Jack in the Box ad with a bear; it steals a breakfast croissant. Does that work for you?

That ad makes me laugh, because the guy has to explain to his friend why the bear took the friend's croissant, but not his.

• Love 2

This commercial (I guess it's really supposed to be a public service announcement) is running constantly and gets on my last nerve. While I sympathize with the sentiment, it's presented poorly. For one thing, the little boy seems to live in a house with a huge kitchen with a separate butler's pantry and all the latest upscale stainless steel appliances. Also, there seems to be lots of stuff in the fridge and cupboards, just no fruit sitting out or other items to snack on.

That one is starting to air a lot here on local channels. Maybe they are hitting different areas of the US with it at different times? It's driving me crazy either way.....

• Love 2

That one is starting to air a lot here on local channels. Maybe they are hitting different areas of the US with it at different times? It's driving me crazy either way.....

Wow, I only made it 8 seconds.  I have no idea what the commercial is for (hunger?) but that song is...no bueno

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

Every time a Chevy ad comes on I feel the urge to wrap a car around a tree. Except I don't, because I don't have Liberty Mutual, so I am well aware that will raise my rates.But for real, each of those Chevy focus group ads is more infuriating than the last. The latest one is that stupid bearded focus group conducting asshole who shows a group of people a car without any logos or anything on it and asks for impressions. One woman says it looks like a Lexus or a BMW. It does not. It looks like a standard mid-range sedan. And besides, all new cars look relatively nice. The difference is not in the look, it's in the way the car actually freaking drives. But ok, moving on. He then lists all of the features this car has and ask how much the people think the car costs. One woman says $80,000. Does she just have absolutely no idea how much cars cost? Do car salespeople rejoice when they see her? An $80,000 car is not going to sell you on "teen driver technology" because the odds that a teenager is behind the wheel are pretty minimal. To sum up, the focus group leader makes me want to Hulk out, the people in the focus group are dumb, and I have driven Chevy Malibus. They are a mid-range full-size sedan. And they drive like it.

The rental car I picked up today is a Chevy Malibu.  I don't care how much technology it has.  It is uncomfortable and it drives like it's weighted down with bricks.  I still judge a car on the basics before I look for the fancy extras,  So, if it feels like someone is jabbing me in the hip with a metal pole, all of the wifi friendly, shiny new touch screens, teen driver technology in the world will not make me want to buy the car.  

• Love 7

I always think that toilet paper commercials can not possibly get any more graphic or disgusting, aaaaand then they do.  I wish I thought it would end with bears discussing their skidmarks and adults agreeing that they got enough shit off themselves to go commando, but I know it won't.  I'm sure someone is working up a bears-with-diarrhea pitch even as I type this.   

And the thing about the bears is that they aren't even wearing pants, so underwear with or without skid marks makes no sense.  (And I just grossed myself out.)

• Love 4

I was reading up on hot-tub-borne illnesses (don't ask) and came across a "fact" that, on average, adults have ½ tsp. fecal matter clinging to their nether regions...giving 6 folks in a hot tub access to an entire tablespoon of feces.  Excuse me, but I just don't believe that, but perhaps I'm one of the more fastidious people.  Ya think?  There are really people who don't wipe well enough and walk around with poopy pants?

• Love 4

^^sorry, but how can one not ask why you were reading up on hot-tub illnesses?  Were you planning a trip in a time machine back to 1992 so you could be on a cheesy dating show?  I'm down with it, but thats the only time I remember public/communal hot tubs being popular....

• Love 2

I think what DiGiorno is going for is control. When you order a pizza, you're not in control, because you don' t know who's driving the car, you don't know what condition the pizza will be in when it gets to you; whereas if you buy Digiorno, you're in control; you can decide when and where you're going to have your pizza.

If that's what they were going for, I have a suggestion for even more control -- make your own pizza.  It's super easy, especially if you have the foresight keep a few balls of dough in the freezer.  But I'll admit I'm biased because I live in NYC (and I'm a decent cook), so there is never ever a reason for me to buy Digiorno or even order from a place like Papa Johns or Pizza Hut.

The Pepperoni commercial needs to get off my TV now now NOW.  It's AWFUL.  I'm not a snob about songs used for commercials (I've discovered some great music that way), but this is unacceptable. 

Edited by beadgirl
  • Love 2

Dear Hormel,

The product you are attempting to sell me is "pepperoni", not "pepperona."  There is no such thing as "pepperona."  So I can only conclude that your bastardization of one of the songs from my childhood soundtrack is meant as cruelty, pure and simple.  I am on a low carb diet for life, and we could have had a long, mutually advantageous association, but as of now I have officially stopped buying your product.

Sincerely,

Aquarius

Maybe the writer is from Missouri.  My mom's family mostly hails from there originally and they all pronounce it "Mizzuruh".

• Love 1

I always think that toilet paper commercials can not possibly get any more graphic or disgusting, aaaaand then they do.  I wish I thought it would end with bears discussing their skidmarks and adults agreeing that they got enough shit off themselves to go commando, but I know it won't.  I'm sure someone is working up a bears-with-diarrhea pitch even as I type this.   

That's why I truly appreciate the Quilted Northern commercials. They fully embrace the fact that toilet paper is gross and people just don't want to dwell on their bathroom experience:

The entire campaign makes me giggle hysterically.

• Love 6

But for real, each of those Chevy focus group ads is more infuriating than the last. The latest one is that stupid bearded focus group conducting asshole who shows a group of people a car without any logos or anything on it and asks for impressions.

When did it become a good thing for a family sedan to look just like the ones made by so many other companies?

I'm not knocking DiGiornio. As frozen pizzas go, it's a good brand, and I like the "pizzeria" version; I object to the contention that people can't tell frozen from fresh pizza.

The folks at Little Caesars are pretty good at making a fresh pizza that tastes like frozen.

• Love 6

When did it become a good thing for a family sedan to look just like the ones made by so many other companies?

I'm not sure it's ever been a good thing but it has been a thing. All cars in a range look alike, then one year someone makes one that looks slightly different. Within a couple of years all the others will start imitating them, then all cars in the range look alike again. Fins and chrome for '50s family cars, fake Hummer-shapes for the testosterone-challenged, every SUV ever made, on and on it goes.

• Love 1

Yeah, when it wasn't just "car people" who could look at a car and immediately say, "That's a '57 Chevy" and look at the next car over and say, "That's a '58."  Now two cars could be five model years apart and I'd have no idea which was which.

• Love 5

I agree about the car commercials.  Because you're not really selling your car, you're selling that you are able to look like a far superior car, and if what you're concerned about is what other people the car brand is you don't think they are going to simply look at the back and realize that that is not a Lexus?  Or are you going to be one of those sad souls who puts a Bentley logo on a Chrysler 300?

• Love 2

There was a time, LONG AGO, I could identify every car on the road; they were all different and exciting. (I'm talking, of course, about the 50's 60's and 70's)

Then they embraced the idea of using standardized parts to cut inventory and save money and went a little overboard. You can make a pile of legos look like a huge number of different things. Car designers need to be more creative.

• Love 8

^^sorry, but how can one not ask why you were reading up on hot-tub illnesses?  Were you planning a trip in a time machine back to 1992 so you could be on a cheesy dating show?  I'm down with it, but thats the only time I remember public/communal hot tubs being popular....

Hotels sometimes have hot tubs next to the pool. After spending two days at a hotel like that and using the hot tub along with other guests, I got sick. It was either the hot tub or the sausage patty at Huddle House.

• Love 6

And the thing about the bears is that they aren't even wearing pants, so underwear with or without skid marks makes no sense.  (And I just grossed myself out.)

Maybe the bears cover their chairs in underwear.  They get skid marks when their poop laden fur hits the seat.  (Yes, I did make myself throw up a little.  You're welcome for the imagery.) 

• Love 4

I loathe Taylor Swift in the best of times -- I think she's a phony, a nasty bitch who holds a grudge against people she perceives to have wronged her, while carefully cultivating a sweetheart image

Thank you.

• Love 3

Hotels sometimes have hot tubs next to the pool. After spending two days at a hotel like that and using the hot tub along with other guests, I got sick. It was either the hot tub or the sausage patty at Huddle House.

I read this quickly as "either the hot tub or the sausage party at Huddle House" and I thought.....wow....someone sure knows how to live on the edge!

Thank you.

I agree about Taylor Swift.  I can't understand the love for her at all, she seems like a nasty piece of work.

• Love 8

Then they embraced the idea of using standardized parts to cut inventory and save money and went a little overboard. You can make a pile of legos look like a huge number of different things. Car designers need to be more creative.

Well, at some point cars went from being lifelong members of your family to disposable within 1-3 years.  And now one car company will come up with a new design and other car companies will be busy copying that design so that you think every car on the road is a Lexus or whatever.   Apparently you can't see a Chevy, for just being a Chevy.  its gotta look like a Lexus.

• Love 7

I hate, hate, hate when people repeat the same things over and over again, so ads where they repeat a phone number four or more times is like fingernails on the chalk board.  And that psoriasis ad where the people keep saying "See me" is making me scream.

• Love 13

There is this commercial for Verizon FIOS where everyone is sitting around and using their tablets instead of talking to each other.  Some girl comes in and talks about shitting an egg or something and from all of that I'm supposed to want faster internet?  So people can sit in my damn house and ignore me and buy hammers and shit?  Is this the new marketing strategy?  Because you fucking mooches aren't showing up to my damn house for free internet, I'm not running a Starbucks.  All this commercial makes me do is think people are terrible human beings that I shouldn't invite to my house because they are asshats.  I can't find the commercial, but it annoys me.

• Love 7

...each of those Chevy focus group ads is more infuriating than the last. The latest one is that stupid bearded focus group conducting asshole who shows a group of people a car without any logos or anything on it and asks for impressions. He then lists all of the features this car has and ask how much the people think the car costs. One woman says $80,000. Does she just have absolutely no idea how much cars cost?...I have driven Chevy Malibus. They are a mid-range full-size sedan. And they drive like it.

I hate the phoniness of that campaign also. Yet I know (as someone whose career was in the fabulous ad biz) that the participants--who, interestingly, just happen all to be far more attractive than the average person who shows up in a focus group--can't be actors reading lines without disclosure of that fact, or the campaign would run afoul of FTC rules on deceptive advertising. So I imagine how they recruit these people who say incredibly dumb things is, they run actual focus groups, not on camera, first. There are always people in focus groups who say what they think you want to hear, because they think, "Hmm, if I play my cards right, I could be in a commercial." (There are also people who don't give a shit and just say what they think.) So, after running a bunch of groups, you've got a pool of four or five people who A) are savvy enough to have given you "quotable quotes" in their attempt to say exactly what they think you wanted to hear, and B) are high on the good-looking and articulate scale. Some of them may actually be actors and models, but as long as you didn't hire them on that basis--as long as they actually attended a real focus group as "themselves" and actually said those things, relatively unprompted--you're OK. Then when you get to the shoot, you tell [Participant X], "remember what you said in that off-camera focus group we did? We just need you to be true to your reaction then and say what you actually said, only this time on camera." If Participant X was smart enough to say something ridiculous in the first place in the hope of getting into a commercial, she'll be smart enough to get the drill and perform like a trained seal now that the cameras are rolling.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 12

Reminds me of the Time Warner commercial with Uncle Pete babysitting his nephews, who behave horribly until Pete brings out the tablets.

I hate that commercial. Bratty nasty kids and an adult who needs to take charge.

• Love 3

I hate, hate, hate when people repeat the same things over and over again, so ads where they repeat a phone number four or more times is like fingernails on the chalk board.

Rick Kitchen ~ The irony of your post has not gone unnoticed!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 12

And now one car company will come up with a new design and other car companies will be busy copying that design so that you think every car on the road is a Lexus or whatever.   Apparently you can't see a Chevy, for just being a Chevy.  its gotta look like a Lexus.

It made sense when Nissan would make their new sporty car look like the latest Porsche, since shape is related to performance. What good is making a car just look like one known for it's quality? The parts on the Chevy aren't going to last any longer; it'll just make it harder to spot your car in a parking lot.

• Love 4

I hate the phoniness of that campaign also. Yet I know (as someone whose career was in the fabulous ad biz) that the participants--who, interestingly, just happen all to be far more attractive than the average person who shows up in a focus group--can't be actors reading lines without disclosure of that fact, or the campaign would run afoul of FTC rules on deceptive advertising. So I imagine how they recruit these people who say incredibly dumb things is, they run actual focus groups, not on camera, first. There are always people in focus groups who say what they think you want to hear, because they think, "Hmm, if I play my cards right, I could be in a commercial." (There are also people who don't give a shit and just say what they think.) So, after running a bunch of groups, you've got a pool of four or five people who A) are savvy enough to have given you "quotable quotes" in their attempt to say exactly what they think you wanted to hear, and B) are high on the good-looking and articulate scale. Some of them may actually be actors and models, but as long as you didn't hire them on that basis--as long as they actually attended a real focus group as "themselves" and actually said those things, relatively unprompted--you're OK. Then when you get to the shoot, you tell [Participant X], "remember what you said in that off-camera focus group we did? We just need you to be true to your reaction then and say what you actually said, only this time on camera." If Participant X was smart enough to say something ridiculous in the first place in the hope of getting into a commercial, she'll be smart enough to get the drill and perform like a trained seal now that the cameras are rolling.

I have a friend who is a professional actor.  She often goes to focus groups.  It's a little extra money and a way to get her face seen.  The funny thing is when she's broke she'll be anyone they want her to be.  To date I know she has been a homemaker, a mother of three, an architect, a designer, from the midwest, west, east and south US; she supposedly often goes to spas, stays in hotels, travels to foreign countries, is always home/never travels, drives a foreign/domestic car, never drives, etc.  We always joke about her using her acting skills to be in focus groups.  

Another friend was in a local car dealership ad based on just what you said.  It was exciting in a way because he is a transman and Asian, so he helped add diversity to the ad.  His statement was blandly positive.  He fit the mold beautifully for "real people."

I used to participate in focus groups.  When I would get bored I would start swaying peoples' opinions for fun.  Yes, I'm that jerk.

Finally a friend did a focus group on cheese.  There were a lot of the types of people you describe.  Everyone was trying to one up the other people with their deep, meaningful, expressive comments about cheese and cheese packaging.  It went on for several hours.  My friend reached her patience limit and screamed, "It's cheese, people!  Cheese!  Jesus Christ!  What is wrong with you?  Why do you care so fucking much about cheese?"   That ended the session.  

So, Chevy can show us their real people willing to say incredibly stupid things about a Malibu.  Not going to make me want to buy one.  And, having rented one, definitely not buying one.  

• Love 5

After seeing the commercials from Turbo Tax featuring Nobel Laureate scientists who would be on Sheldon Cooper's short list for a dinner party, I have to wonder are you people hurting that bad for money?  Some simpleton has to be shown where to press a button or explained to how much free really costs.  I can't wait until April 15 for this shit to be over.  Until then, I can press the button for MUTE with the help of no scientist.

• Love 3

I want to punch someone any time I hear the word "clean" in those Panera ads. 

I can't wait until my garden is going so I can eat some dirty carrots straight out of the ground.

• Love 3

After seeing the commercials from Turbo Tax featuring Nobel Laureate scientists who would be on Sheldon Cooper's short list for a dinner party, I have to wonder are you people hurting that bad for money?  Some simpleton has to be shown where to press a button or explained to how much free really costs.  I can't wait until April 15 for this shit to be over.  Until then, I can press the button for MUTE with the help of no scientist.

April 18 this year! Not that I'm counting the days or anything...

• Love 2

There is this commercial for Verizon FIOS where everyone is sitting around and using their tablets instead of talking to each other.  Some girl comes in and talks about shitting an egg or something and from all of that I'm supposed to want faster internet?  So people can sit in my damn house and ignore me and buy hammers and shit?  Is this the new marketing strategy?  Because you fucking mooches aren't showing up to my damn house for free internet, I'm not running a Starbucks.  All this commercial makes me do is think people are terrible human beings that I shouldn't invite to my house because they are asshats.  I can't find the commercial, but it annoys me.

I think the commercial is great. It might work a little more if you know the characters. The host is Rashida Jones(actress) and her mom Peggy Lipton of Mod Squad and Twin Peaks fame. By the way, for African Americans of a certain age, Peggy Lipton the first super cool white woman. Also present is a couple of her actor friends of some note. Peggy Lipton in her 70's and still looks good in hi def, some damn good genes that woman has.

• Love 4

I actually find those quite funny and will miss them after tax day - which is later than April 15 this year due to it being a leap year.

• Love 2

I actually find those quite funny and will miss them after tax day - which is later than April 15 this year due to it being a leap year.

With all due respect, I've never heard of Tax Day being late in the US because it's a leap year, so I Googled.

What I found out is... April 15th, aka US Tax Day, this year is a Friday; it's also the Emancipation Day holiday in Washington, DC--which marks the day President Lincoln signed the Compensated Emancipation Proclamation, freeing the slaves in Washington, DC (preliminary to signing the Emancipation Proclamation freeing ALL slaves). It's actually celebrated on April 16th, except when that date falls on a weekend--which it does this year, so Emancipation Day gets moved to Friday, April 15th. That's treated like it's a Federal holiday in DC, so Federal employees there have the day off.

http://publicholidays.us/emancipation-day/

And April 16th is a Saturday (with April 17th being a Sunday, of course)--so, again, no work (for most people/Federal employees), because of the weekend.

So, this year, the confluence of those circumstances pushes Tax Day in the US to Monday, April 18th--the first day of work (for most people/Federal employees) after the Federal Emancipation Day holiday in DC.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 7

^^^Further complicated by the fact that Monday, April 18 is Patriots Day in Maine and Massachusetts, so those two states have until Tuesday, April 19 to file.

I just discovered, & was coming to post, that. Thanks. Here's a confirmatory source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-dc-holiday-means-all-americans-get-three-extra-days-to-file-taxes-next-year/2015/05/22/a1711ce0-00b3-11e5-833c-a2de05b6b2a4_story.html

• Love 2

^^^Further complicated by the fact that Monday, April 18 is Patriots Day in Maine and Massachusetts, so those two states have until Tuesday, April 19 to file.

The tax ads don't stop with the deadline; they keep going for a while with a new emphasis on helping people who missed the deadline.

• Love 1