Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

There was a recent editorial in my local newspaper (yes, I do receive delivery of a paper newspaper, so sue me). Rant about people who don't know how to drive in snow or on ice, because they've seen tv commercials and think Their Vehicle will perform Just. Like. That. on snow and ice.

I firmly believe that too.  They see it on tv and then can drive like andretti on ice and snow

• Love 1

I have been dithering as to whether to put this in the "earworm," "headscratcher," or "annoying" category, because it is all three...but can someone please explain to me the colossally stupid VW Passat "Beth What Can I Do" piece of utter NONSENSE that has been infesting the airwaves of late?

I keep getting the feeling that someone at the ad agency just really liked that song so they constructed this whole ridiculous commercial around some douchebag husband who ignores his wife's (the aforementioned Beth) phone calls in favor of romping around town with his equally douchey sons, then gets all guilt-stricken so he calls her and it turns out all she wants is for him to pick up some milk. 

Why doesn't she just fucking text him? Why does she appear to be nothing but lounging around in a bathrobe all day long? He's been ignoring her all day; if she wants the milk that badly why doesn't she just get dressed and go buy some? Is the Passat their only car? Why is she married to such a douchenozzle in the first place?

Also, the kids look like stupid brats and I hate them.

I actually like that commercial, although usually I wouldn't have for all of the reasons you mentioned.  I think it's the attachment my teenage self had to KISS and that particular song.  Yeah, Beth is kind of a lame song, but at the time, I loved it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I have been dithering as to whether to put this in the "earworm," "headscratcher," or "annoying" category, because it is all three...but can someone please explain to me the colossally stupid VW Passat "Beth What Can I Do" piece of utter NONSENSE that has been infesting the airwaves of late?

I keep getting the feeling that someone at the ad agency just really liked that song so they constructed this whole ridiculous commercial around some douchebag husband who ignores his wife's (the aforementioned Beth) phone calls in favor of romping around town with his equally douchey sons, then gets all guilt-stricken so he calls her and it turns out all she wants is for him to pick up some milk. 

Why doesn't she just fucking text him? Why does she appear to be nothing but lounging around in a bathrobe all day long? He's been ignoring her all day; if she wants the milk that badly why doesn't she just get dressed and go buy some? Is the Passat their only car? Why is she married to such a douchenozzle in the first place?

Also, the kids look like stupid brats and I hate them.

Okay I rather liked this commercial when it reached the end. In today's world, your husband takes two young boys for the whole day for some father son bonding. The whole day. Leaving the wife to enjoy some alone time to do whatever she wants. Sleep late, take a long bath, read, talk with her friends, binge watch a show that only she likes. Hey maybe even shave the legs for the thank you sex for giving her a day of relaxation. I also must admit in today's world couples are to connected. You use to be able to go to work and other places for escape, but now if you are dumb enough to have a video chat program on your phone. Your better half can have constant contact with you 24/7. So I do not find it strange that a person would ignore some calls or texts from a wife or girlfriend. In summary, don't ruin the "bro buzz!"

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 1

Anybody can drive like Andretti on ice and snow; the real challenge is stopping.

OT and true story -- I once met Mario Andretti.  I checked him in at my hotel many moons ago.  He was a little man and travelled with a very tall Italian lady.  He was not happy when I couldn't get her the room adjoining his suite.  Juicy!

• Love 4

I just saw a Kirstie Alley weight loss ad ... she was on a mock-up of the Cheers set.   Aging Norm and aging Cliff were there, admiring her new and improved figure ... 

It was sad.

What I found sad is, didn't she do a commercial for another weight loss system, years ago?  The thing is, if you want to lose weight, you have to change how you eat all the time, not just for a few months, to me that's why all those things fail.  I was on WW and I gained a lot back because I stopped going and didn't change how I ate.  What's good about WW is you're not doing it all by yourself, I think even Jean Nidetch said that it was the support that was very important.

• Love 1

What I found sad is, didn't she do a commercial for another weight loss system, years ago?  The thing is, if you want to lose weight, you have to change how you eat all the time, not just for a few months, to me that's why all those things fail.  I was on WW and I gained a lot back because I stopped going and didn't change how I ate.  What's good about WW is you're not doing it all by yourself, I think even Jean Nidetch said that it was the support that was very important.

Everyone I know who has done WW has had good success with it.  But I'm guessing at some point you lose the support because you stop going to meetings, right?

• Love 1

I just noticed that Brad's former owner said she had him for four years and went through two boyfriends and three jobs and now I can only imagine just how much Liberty Mutual is charging her for that insurance because insurance companies also look for stability when establishing your rate.

• Love 2

Ok a commercial I HATE:  Those stupid Liberty car commercials.  I believe that is what posters are speaking off when they mention commercials trying to explain how car insurance works. 

The most recent one is one that really grates:  the young, fit couple, explaining that husband ruined their "perfect driving record" by side swiping a food truck.  Geez lady stop busting his balls over the shit.  It may just be me but she is really coming across as a judgmental B---, blaming him that has DESTROYED their perfect driving record.

• Love 5

Ok a commercial I HATE:  Those stupid Liberty car commercials.  I believe that is what posters are speaking off when they mention commercials trying to explain how car insurance works. 

I hate them so much that I actually get a bit nauseous when they come on - I have to mute the TV and look away. They're making me hate the Statue of Liberty.  If I'm ever in New York and I see them filming one of those commercials, I swear I'm gonna tackle them.

• Love 3

An annoying commercial that's still annoying, BUT they did fix the one thing that annoyed me the most -- the Trop 50 ad with Jane Krakowski and her giant trainer guy.  I used to yell, "FEWER CALORIES!  NOT LESS CALORIES!" every time it came on, but they fixed that!  So proud.  It's still an awful commercial, however.

• Love 17

An annoying commercial that's still annoying, BUT they did fix the one thing that annoyed me the most -- the Trop 50 ad with Jane Krakowski and her giant trainer guy.  I used to yell, "FEWER CALORIES!  NOT LESS CALORIES!" every time it came on, but they fixed that!  So proud.  It's still an awful commercial, however.

Me too!! I noticed the change and wondered if an angry mob grammarians got to them. :)

• Love 4

That BathFitters ad with the annoying woman whose voice doesn't match her looks (I don't know how to explain it), she starts out saying, "Do you hate your bathroom?  I did."  Well, guess what, lady, I don't care if you hate my bathroom.

• Love 9

I just noticed that Brad's former owner said she had him for four years and went through two boyfriends and three jobs and now I can only imagine just how much Liberty Mutual is charging her for that insurance because insurance companies also look for stability when establishing your rate.

She also seems to be in denial. She gets an angry face when she says "then you totaled him", like she's mad at someone in the audience and it wasn't her fault.

Speaking of what insurance companies charge, Progressive seems a bit confused about their "name your price tool". They have a black & white ad where an announcer talks about how a housewife can "get all the car insurance options her little heart desires". I thought the point of the tool was to figure out what you can afford to get.

• Love 3

That BathFitters ad with the annoying woman whose voice doesn't match her looks (I don't know how to explain it), she starts out saying, "Do you hate your bathroom?  I did."  Well, guess what, lady, I don't care if you hate my bathroom.

I had never heard of BathFitter until just now, so I youtube'd the ad, and WTF does 'reinventing the remodel' even mean? Remodeling means you're doing something new with your house (or in this case your bathroom) so why would you need to reinvent that? They have a different ad with a guy, and they said BathFitter so often that it stopped sounding like real words.

• Love 2
Remodeling means you're doing something new with your house (or in this case your bathroom) so why would you need to reinvent that?

It looks like they specialize in covering over what you already have instead of replacing it (e.g. putting a tub shell over your old tub), so it's a different way of making things look new that I presume is cheaper.

I think she's done a few over the years.   An odd way to make money and refresh your career -- lose, gain, lose, gain, lose ...

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

and they said BathFitter so often that it stopped sounding like real words.

I feel the same way about the "I beat my addiction" commercials.  They say the phrase over and over it begins to sound like Ibeet mya diction.  Drives me nuts.

• Love 4

If I'm ever in New York and I see them filming one of those commercials, I swear I'm gonna tackle them.

Tee hee hee!

And Brad finally committed suicide by crashing to get away from her whiny dumb ass.

Louder tee hee hees!  "Your like nothing can replace Brad...."  UGH it's official everyone hates Liberty Mutual!  =D 

• Love 3

Everyone I know who has done WW has had good success with it.  But I'm guessing at some point you lose the support because you stop going to meetings, right?

I stopped having success while I was still going to the meetings.  The co-worker who was going to the meetings with me stopped going, I'd plateau'd and they changed their program to something which didn't work for me - all happening during the week of Thanksgiving.  It was a perfect storm of bad timing for me.

I don't know if Kirstie Alley has endorsed any other weight loss programs, but she's done Jenny Craig more than once and gained it back.  Hopefully for her, this time it will stick.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
but can someone please explain to me the colossally stupid VW Passat "Beth What Can I Do" piece of utter NONSENSE that has been infesting the airwaves of late?

VW is in apology mode. This has apparently influenced the ad team, which will henceforth include some sort of expression of regret in all ads. 

VW APOLOGY TOUR 2016--saw it at the Detroit Auto show, did not get the T-shirt.  

• Love 4

I stopped having success while I was still going to the meetings.  The co-worker who was going to the meetings with me stopped going, I'd plateau'd and they changed their program to something which didn't work for me - all happening during the week of Thanksgiving.  It was a perfect storm of bad timing for me.

I don't know if Kirstie Alley has endorsed any other weight loss programs, but she's done Jenny Craig more than once and gained it back.  Hopefully for her, this time it will stick.

Kirstie Alley isn't one of my favorite people, but I applaud anyone who can lose weight, even if they can't keep it off. It's HARD to lose weight, and HARD to keep it off! If it was easy, everyone would be slender.

• Love 10

Kirstie Alley isn't one of my favorite people, but I applaud anyone who can lose weight, even if they can't keep it off. It's HARD to lose weight, and HARD to keep it off! If it was easy, everyone would be slender.

Agree, Agree! 

I'm not really wild about Oprah advertising WW.  I feel like it would be easier for her to do it because well...she's RICH!  And she has an army of people tending to her needs.  And even if she did decide to do one of these weight loss programs (which I seriously doubt she is) she's got a personal chef & trainer, etc., etc......

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2

Agree, Agree! 

I'm not really wild about Oprah advertising WW.  I feel like it would be easier for her to do it because well...she's RICH!  And she has an army of people tending to her needs.  And even if she did decide to do one of these weight loss programs (which I seriously doubt she is) she's got a personal chef & trainer, etc., etc......

I think if being rich could get it done, Oprah would be the thinnest woman on the planet by now.  But, its cool to know that its not just rich that gets it done, there is something else.  There must be.  And the fact that she struggles with it publicly makes me like her (I know, I'm just as bad as everyone else in the cult of Oprah).  I mean, back in the 90's she had that big reveal on the show....and then she gained it ALL back, plus some and people were just vicious.  And then she lost, and she had made "lifestyle changes" so it was going to stick.

It seems like so many other people who lose weight (maybe in a slightly unhealthy way) and can't keep it off.  I mean, look at all that Oprah has actually succeeded at.....but not this one thing.

• Love 4

Agree, Agree! 

Absolutely.  I am offended by her attitude in that commercial, like she's just one of the girls, just like you honey child.  I imagine running into her at the market or a store, she wouldn't give me the time of day.  Oh, I forgot, she has a CREW that shops for her, and massages her and cooks just for her.  What a poseur.

• Love 5

WW is a business, first and foremost. I was a Leader a few years ago. They care about 2 things and 2 things only ~ your current weight and how much "product" you sell. We had a per person goal we HAD to reach per meeting. If you (well, I) did not meet that goal there was hell to pay. Oh yeah.

They do change up their program right around November of each year. And yes, we HAD to switch to it whether we liked the new program or not. I guess I understand that - you have to experience the "new" program before you can sell it ... but if a previous program worked for us ... we had to totally switch gears.

I do not miss working for them at all.

• Love 7

I think if being rich could get it done, Oprah would be the thinnest woman on the planet by now.

Totally. Having a personal chef does not stop you from eating too much - not unless the chef also locks you in a cell.  And unless your personal trainer is holding an actual gun to your head they can't make you exercise.

There is only one thing that really works: eat less.  Way, way less.  (Exercise helps but not all that much - unless you're a man.)   The diet industry has always been an oxymoron to me because they try to get you on board by showing you all the food you can eat.  I notice Oprah is doing that too.  "Once you realize you don't have to give up anything..." well yes actually you do have to give up things Oprah.  I mean good luck to her, but until she understands that she's just doomed to failure.

• Love 4

WW is a business, first and foremost. I was a Leader a few years ago. They care about 2 things and 2 things only ~ your current weight and how much "product" you sell. We had a per person goal we HAD to reach per meeting. If you (well, I) did not meet that goal there was hell to pay. Oh yeah.

They do change up their program right around November of each year. And yes, we HAD to switch to it whether we liked the new program or not. I guess I understand that - you have to experience the "new" program before you can sell it ... but if a previous program worked for us ... we had to totally switch gears.

I do not miss working for them at all.

I've done WW three times. The first two times worked, but eventually I gained back weight. I tried again last year, and the system had become so complicated, I would have had to rely on the app to calculate the points. Plus, the leader just tried to sell stuff. I couldn't deal with it. Cutting carbs is the easiest, most effective strategy for me. I wonder if Oprah spends time with the new system, or if her staff does it for her. I'd like a staff for this stuff.

• Love 3

That's what I hate about the Oprah ads, well other than her weird voice when she says she's not trying to get into a pair of jeans.

You HAVE to give something up. Have to. If you go on WW and continue to drink three sodas a day, Twinkies for a snack and Whoppers all week long, WW isn't going to do squat for you. You have to seriously reduce your sugar and fat if ANY weight loss program is going to work. It's hard and it sucks and I miss Pepsi.

• Love 6

I've done WW three times. The first two times worked, but eventually I gained back weight. I tried again last year, and the system had become so complicated, I would have had to rely on the app to calculate the points. Plus, the leader just tried to sell stuff. I couldn't deal with it. Cutting carbs is the easiest, most effective strategy for me. I wonder if Oprah spends time with the new system, or if her staff does it for her. I'd like a staff for this stuff.

Leaders are forced to sell stuff.

I had an awesome meeting. Seriously loved my members. I told them up front - you are adults. If you want to buy something, buy something. If you don't, don't. I was also NOT going to hand out stickers to adults, either. If you want one, I'll be happy to give you one ... just ask. I also told them if I ever started "selling" product up there during a meeting, it meant that I was being monitored and to make me look good in front of the bosses! :)

• Love 8

Leaders are forced to sell stuff.

I had an awesome meeting. Seriously loved my members. I told them up front - you are adults. If you want to buy something, buy something. If you don't, don't. I was also NOT going to hand out stickers to adults, either. If you want one, I'll be happy to give you one ... just ask. I also told them if I ever started "selling" product up there during a meeting, it meant that I was being monitored and to make me look good in front of the bosses! :)

I appreciate your approach to this. My main problem wasn't so much with the sales, however, but with the complexity of the newest system. It seems geared to a younger age group who have their phones in their hands all the time. In that sense Oprah seems an odd choice to be the face of the organization, but maybe she is extremely tech savvy. In the end, diets all come down to cutting calories no matter how they're packaged.

• Love 5

It looks like they specialize in covering over what you already have instead of replacing it (e.g. putting a tub shell over your old tub), so it's a different way of making things look new that I presume is cheaper.

I looked into having Bath Fitters do my shower/tub but decided covering up the bad tile existing tub was a bad thing.
  • Love 4

I had never heard of BathFitter until just now, so I youtube'd the ad, and WTF does 'reinventing the remodel' even mean? Remodeling means you're doing something new with your house (or in this case your bathroom) so why would you need to reinvent that? They have a different ad with a guy, and they said BathFitter so often that it stopped sounding like real words.

I don't know where you live, Cobalt Stargazer, but I want to move there immediately if you don't get these ads I your area.  Lucky you.  They're on here ALL the time, and I'm sick of them.  In fact, I'd rather watch some girl whine about Brad at this point!

• Love 4

I appreciate your approach to this. My main problem wasn't so much with the sales, however, but with the complexity of the newest system. It seems geared to a younger age group who have their phones in their hands all the time. In that sense Oprah seems an odd choice to be the face of the organization, but maybe she is extremely tech savvy. In the end, diets all come down to cutting calories no matter how they're packaged.

I feel like the younger generation of starlet is embracing their size and is not in any great hurry to change it.  Which I find somewhat refreshing given that for years the minute a bigger girl became famous the second thing she would do (after claiming to "love her size") would be to immediately lose weight.  But women like Rebel Wilson and Melissa McCarthy seem to have no problem being bigger and actually making that work for merchandising (I think both have plus size dress lines).  I may think Gabby S (from Empire/Precious) is probably big enough for her weight to be a health issue, I do credit her for not immediately getting on a diet or getting secret gastric bypass.

I can't even think of anyone younger right now that I would think of as a good fit off the top of my head.  Jennifer Hudson was a good fit, but I think many of her fans would overlap with the Oprah fans too.  Or perhaps WW is hoping to get back an older audience...

OMG.  I don't know if you all have heard, but Macy's is having One Day Sale.  Its all over YouTube commercials so mark your calendars!

• Love 2

That's what I hate about the Oprah ads, well other than her weird voice when she says she's not trying to get into a pair of jeans.

You HAVE to give something up. Have to. If you go on WW and continue to drink three sodas a day, Twinkies for a snack and Whoppers all week long, WW isn't going to do squat for you. You have to seriously reduce your sugar and fat if ANY weight loss program is going to work. It's hard and it sucks and I miss Pepsi.

You don't have to give up specific THINGS, necessarily, at least I didn't.  But if you're not cutting out things, you have to cut quantity.  I could still eat carbs and sugar and chocolate and hamburgers, but I had to eat less of them and move more.  That's pretty much the only reason the one program worked for me: I could still eat the stuff I liked, just in smaller quantities.  It's when the program was changed and became more restrictive in the TYPES of food I could eat that it stopped working for me.  (Hell, the one time I lost significant weight without really trying, I was eating potatoes 2 or 3 meals a day, but I lived on the 4th floor of a building with no elevator, and walked several city blocks back and forth to classes.)  But yeah, you have to make permanent changes or it won't last.

I give Oprah credit for continuing to try, but still find her condescending and annoying in those ads.

• Love 4

There is only one thing that really works: eat less.

Especially what you don't really feel like eating other than by habit or convenience. The whole point of fat is to hang onto excess nutrients until later, and whatever you've got a good supply of stashed away is not something you're going to crave more of. So forget about balanced meals and let it be "later".

Melissa McCarthy has lost a crapload of weight in the last year or so.  But, if she's attributing it to any particular brand of weight loss scheme I haven't noticed.

I heard it was all the training for stunts on Spy that made her lose weight.

More power to Oprah if she's trying to get healthier, but given her history if I had a weight loss system she's the last spokesperson I'd want for my products. If I were a yo-yo tycoon, on the other hand...

• Love 5