Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

yikes, why does she have to talk to him like that?  If you're upset, just say so, don't talk to him like a 4 year old.  If I were a man I would never in my life want to get married.  As a woman I'm scared that marriage will turn me into yoplait shrew or this cable bitch.

She says to him, "what did you do?"  Maybe it's me but I don't see her as being a shrew.  I do see him as being an idiot though; I mean what jerk would buy everything for more money just because "it was a deal?"  To me, she looked at him as if she can't believe anybody would be so stupid. 

• Love 4

I mean, Watcher0363 is probably right, some of the actors can never be too rich.   I guess I'm lazy, but if I had Lisa Kudrow's money, I wouldn't be doing anything just for the paycheck.  Even if it is easy money, it's not likely to be a quantity of money that would make a difference to me, so why even bother.

I wonder if it occurs to some of the celebrities, though, that doing commercials for yogurt or moisturizer or whatever can potentially damage their reputations, because people will start to see them as kind of desperate. Charlize Theron probably has a pretty short shelf life in the movies so I don't necessarily blame her for making the money while she can, but the cast of Friends are so disgustingly rich it kind of pisses me off they can be so greedy they need more money and will lend their voices and faces to commercials when they really don't need the money.

(Kudrow also has a web series called Web Therapy; a TV version of it airs on Showtime and it's going into its fourth season.)

She says to him, "what did you do?"  Maybe it's me but I don't see her as being a shrew.  I do see him as being an idiot though; I mean what jerk would buy everything for more money just because "it was a deal?"  To me, she looked at him as if she can't believe anybody would be so stupid. 

He may have done something stupid, but don't be passive aggressive and ask dumb questions, IMO if you're gonna be mad, just be mad!  As for what jerk would do it, I've been talked into buying a package that overall was more expensive because each component would be a better deal.  So, if I could buy a bed for 800, but an entire bedroom set for 1000 then thats something I would probably do.  Even if I didn't need it at the very moment, because at some point I'll need a new set, and I'm not going to get it alone for another $200, I'll probably only get it at that price if its part of a deal.  

• Love 1

He may have done something stupid, but don't be passive aggressive and ask dumb questions, IMO if you're gonna be mad, just be mad!  As for what jerk would do it, I've been talked into buying a package that overall was more expensive because each component would be a better deal.  So, if I could buy a bed for 800, but an entire bedroom set for 1000 then thats something I would probably do.  Even if I didn't need it at the very moment, because at some point I'll need a new set, and I'm not going to get it alone for another $200, I'll probably only get it at that price if its part of a deal.  

I didn't see it as a dumb question it was like, "WTF did you do!" 

Also, it's different when you buy a bedroom suite because hopefully you will have room for what you buy, but this guy looked like he purchased too much furniture for their living room; the living room looked cluttered with all that shit in there. 

• Love 1

I didn't see it as a dumb question it was like, "WTF did you do!" 

Also, it's different when you buy a bedroom suite because hopefully you will have room for what you buy, but this guy looked like he purchased too much furniture for their living room; the living room looked cluttered with all that shit in there. 

Maybe it wasn't all meant for the living room, maybe he got such an awesome deal he thinks they can sell some of it and make a profit.  Maybe the movers just put it all in the living room.  Maybe they have a den or another room where that furniture can go.  

It is a dumb question, IMO, because its fairly obvious what he did, he bought a lot of furniture.  It would be like me being at the grocery store and after I pay my bill I see my bagged groceries and some guy standing next to it.  I'm not going to say "WTF did you do?"  I already know what he did, when I was talking to the cashier, he bagged my groceries.  When you ask a question you already know the answer to, IMO, thats a dumb question.  It would be like me asking what color my toenails are painted when I know they are painted sundance red.

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe it wasn't all meant for the living room, maybe he got such an awesome deal he thinks they can sell some of it and make a profit.  Maybe the movers just put it all in the living room.  Maybe they have a den or another room where that furniture can go.  

It is a dumb question, IMO, because its fairly obvious what he did, he bought a lot of furniture.  It would be like me being at the grocery store and after I pay my bill I see my bagged groceries and some guy standing next to it.  I'm not going to say "WTF did you do?"  I already know what he did, when I was talking to the cashier, he bagged my groceries.  When you ask a question you already know the answer to, IMO, thats a dumb question.  It would be like me asking what color my toenails are painted when I know they are painted sundance red.

Or maybe the guy's just an asshole who didn't think.

I don't think it's a dumb question because, even though it's obvious, what's not obvious is why he did it.  Maybe the question should have been, "Why did you buy all of that?"

To me, passive aggressive would have been not saying anything and refusing to speak to him for the rest of the day.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Or maybe the guy's just an asshole who didn't think.

I don't think it's a dumb question because, even though it's obvious, what's not obvious is why he did it.  Maybe the question should have been, "Why did you buy all of that?"

To me, passive aggressive would have been not saying anything and refusing to speak to him for the rest of the day.

Perhaps, although depending on the price and potential use he may have thought it through a lot.  I think "why did you buy all of that" is a reasonable question, because that she doesn't know, and its not obvious.  Although to me, she could drop the tone until she finds out why he bought all of that and what the great price is.  

I think both your example, and asking dumb questions in a naggy tone instead of just coming out and being mad are both passive aggressive.

And I would think that if it were a man or a woman.  There is a Payless commercial where mom and daughter go shopping for shoes and come back with bags upon bags of shoes.  Now, if the husband sitting at the table where to ask in the exact same tone "what did you do?" I would have also rolled my eyes, because its fairly obvious what they did, they bought a lot of shoes.  And if he asked with that same tone I would have thought, "hey man, if you're upset about your wife and daughter buying shoes, just say so, don't be a ninny and hide behind dumb questions and a naggy tone, just come out and say it!"

• Love 1

I really dislike the ads for The General auto insurance. It seems like their intended audience are exactly the people I don't want driving on the road with me. People that were dropped from their previous insurer because of tickets/DUIs, because they were at fault in accidents, or who just think the whole insurance thing is optional (until they get pulled over).

• Love 5

That Car Loan Pal commercial get on my nerves. The one where the white boy in a beat up old car asks out a black woman and she turns him down because of the car he's driving. He goes "Bad credit, you're ruining my game!" Uhh we can't blame your credit on you not being able to pick up a girl. There are plenty of people with bad credit and bad cars that can pick up people, believe me we've all seen it. Has he ever thought that what's ruining his game is that damn mop on his head and the fact that one side of his face has acne?

The simple fact that he does a car loan thing and the woman ends up being in his car in the end, he doesn't pick up the fact that this woman is a snob. She didn't want you because you had an ugly car but since you're now driving a nicer car she hops right on in. He also doesn't seem to notice that she doesn't have a car since he tried picking her up while she was walking down the sidewalk. All she's looking for is a free ride in a nice car and he's a sucker for it. What happens if he can't pay back the loan and this new car is taken away? That woman will be saying Bye Bye. There's a reason why he has bad credit, let's think here.

• Love 2

I kind of feel like this is what's going on when I see people like Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Aniston doing beauty care ads.  It keeps you in the public eye, yes, but it also showcases the slump, especially in the case of (former) A-listers like Jennifer Aniston.

Damn, I said I had had my last say on this, and here I go again.

We all differ, I realize, MMV, but here's my take (maybe partly affected by my father having made a living directing commercials): When I see a celebrity doing a commercial, it doesn't occur to me to think of it as "sad" or a "slump" or a lesser choice. I think "Good for you!" They're in demand for something visible and lucrative like that, and doing well out of it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hmmm, just wondering... do you think someone like Jennifer Aniston thinks of herself in a slump? (serious question). Sometimes actors/performers are satisfied with where they are at that moment, riding high off what they have already done and will always consider themselves A-list. Not saying all because some are but Jennifer is not one I see in a slump. Alec Baldwin is another. He did the Capitol One ads ... IDK, just think it is a mixture of lots of things just like everyday life and people. 

And speaking of ads with people who annoy just can't stand the kids in the Doritos ad. "I don't know, can you?" Two chops to the throat for one who said it!

Edited by ethalfrida

What annoys me the most about the celebrity skin care/hair care ads is that I'm completely unconvinced that they use the products. How are you supposed to influence me to use the product when I don't believe you do? It just makes me think you're an idiot & the product is crap.

• Love 2

I think, at least from my industry-friend types, it used to be back in the day that A-listers shilling for products in ads was perceived as a drop in status. That's why some did ads in Japan only. But those days have sort of gone. Advertisers specifically go after A-listers for the association. It's no longer "oh Aniston can't get a movie so she's selling makeup." It's some corporation threw hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more, at Aniston, to spend half a day shooting a commercial, so people will say "oooh, if I use that make up I'll look as good as she does." The voiceover stuff is even easier money, and partly the same premise. They're banking on you recognizing the voice. John Kraczinski likes this car insurance? Well it must be good; he seems to trustworthy. Blah.

I mean, I'm not saying some people might not still have the reaction "what, couldn't get a better gig than this?" They might and that's a perfectly reasonable response. But the people pitching the ads, and getting the stars on board are not assuming that will be the majority response. They're assuming it makes the product more desirable (much more so than if it were actually a somewhat fallen B-lister who might actually be having trouble getting gigs).

Seriously, word to others who have mentioned the easy money. My actor friends, who are not remotely famous people, LOVE commercial work. If you're a working actor, just trying to make a living without a day job, and you book a national commercial? The royalties for the run of the ad can easily make it so you can eat/afford rent for a year without getting any other paying gigs. And that's regular-actor money. Name recognition actors get way more. If you could work one day for maybe 4 hours and have sufficient income for the better part of a year, you'd like that gig too. As long as it's not for a perceived to be cheesy product, or something controversial, it's not going to wreck your bankability.

• Love 4

The Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercial where one piece of 'toast' eats all the other pieces at the end is both gross and aggressively cannibalistic.  Neither are things I want to greet me in the morning.  Hate!!!

Ewww, for real, Ramble. thought the same thing the first time I saw it. Let alone the fact that is just a big bowl of chemicals and sugar in the first place! There's another ad where the food eats itself but I can't think of it right now.

The Cinnamon Toast Crunch commercial where one piece of 'toast' eats all the other pieces at the end is both gross and aggressively cannibalistic.  Neither are things I want to greet me in the morning.  Hate!!!

The toast also appears to have a case of the crazy eyes.  This makes it even more odd.

• Love 1

I hate that commercial for so many reasons, and that's one of them.  Not so coincidentally, I also hate how in real life some people feel they need to bring their entire extended families with them when shopping, thereby hampering my plan to get in and out as fast as possible. 

OMG!  Yes to this notion!  And why is it when someone brings their entire family must they all walk as slowly as humanly possible in a horizontal line holding hands????  I just want some compression socks from the Nike store and an Auntie Anne's pretzel!  

• Love 2

It doesn't seems so bad if you think of it as the lady being annoyed with him for perpetuating cultural stereotypes.

I was actually thinking about this when I was posting last night.  I kind of feel like this is what's going on when I see people like Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Aniston doing beauty care ads.  It keeps you in the public eye, yes, but it also showcases the slump, especially in the case of (former) A-listers like Jennifer Aniston.

Aniston also is part owner of some of the crap she hawks.

What's funny to me is that Cable isn't ala carte - all their packages are bundles, and you're always buying more than you need.

• Love 3

I really dislike the ads for The General auto insurance. It seems like their intended audience are exactly the people I don't want driving on the road with me. People that were dropped from their previous insurer because of tickets/DUIs, because they were at fault in accidents, or who just think the whole insurance thing is optional (until they get pulled over).

Those commercials look like something off of cable access, and their theme "song" makes me homicidal.
  • Love 1

Those commercials look like something off of cable access, and their theme "song" makes me homicidal.

I remember being slightly offended by the General commercials, because you could tell exactly what they thought of the people they were marketing to.  They always ran during the peoples court, or divorce court, or judge alex, or judge joe brown, or judge mathis.  

Aniston also is part owner of some of the crap she hawks.

What's funny to me is that Cable isn't ala carte - all their packages are bundles, and you're always buying more than you need.

I believe you're right, she owns part of Living Proof I think?  I know there is a line at Sephora that she owns/does advertising for, and its the same for Katie Holmes.

• Love 1

It doesn't seems so bad if you think of it as the lady being annoyed with him for perpetuating cultural stereotypes.

I was actually thinking about this when I was posting last night.  I kind of feel like this is what's going on when I see people like Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Aniston doing beauty care ads.  It keeps you in the public eye, yes, but it also showcases the slump, especially in the case of (former) A-listers like Jennifer Aniston.

You know, I was thinking about this too earlier today, and the thing that I'm wondering is if there is some sort of hierarchy or line of demarcation between movie stars and TV stars.  Julia Roberts has an ad campaign for Lancome which is a high end cosmetics line.  Charlize Theron, Chanel, another high end cosmetics line.  Angelina Jolie has an ad campaign with St. Johns which is a high end clothing company.  Keira Knightley has an ad campaign for Chanel as well.  All of these women are movie stars.  Versus Jennifer Aniston for Aveeno which is more of a mid range brand, IMO.  The higher end retailers generally have ads that are meant to be beautiful, and not really logical.  So you see Charlize Theron in her commercial looking beautiful and tearing off her jewelry as she walks through a gorgeous room that looks straight out of paris.  Keira Knightley wakes up next to a man and takes off on a Vespa looking beautiful, somewhere in Italy.  Jennifer Aniston is walking through what appears to be a local downtown somewhere talking about how she only wears Aveeno.  Kelly Ripa tells me how great Crest/Colgate toothpaste is by mentioning the benefits.  The last two commercials aren't really "artsy" per se, they are more focused on the benefit of the product (how it will make your skin great, or your teeth white) versus the commercials for movie stars which are basically them just looking beautiful in a very artsy commercial.

RealityGal between trademarking Yogurt Bitch and the precalculus measurements you're using to plan your daily snacks, I'm done.  Like d-o-n-e for copd.

It may help to know that Angie's Boom Chika Pop has 35 calories per serving for the Sweet & Salty variety and 40 calories per serving for the Sea Salt variety.   There are approximately 6 cups per bag, your entire snackmonster craving requirement can be satisfied by one bag.   My boyfriend has pointed out that it's completely preposterous to try and devise how to scheme on having 6 servings at a time without guilt, especially when the amount of sodium contained in 6 servings makes you resemble a damn puffer fish but he is from the high metabolism tribe so he can shut it.   Stop and Shop, $3.99, sometimes 2 for $6.   Don't fuck with the caramel & cheddar variety, you'll blow the curve.

As to the rest of you I can no longer get through a commercial containing the words moderate to severe without snorting.    Thanks for that.

Kelly Ripa's latest shilling is for Chocolate Jif or some other morbid obesity inducing creation.   She's telling anyone who will listen what conduit food surfaces it is most delicious upon.    Laundry detergent?  ok.  Dishwashing soap packets?  alright fine.   Kelly Ripa, eating?  and something that's like a bajillion calories and fat grams per serving?  Lol!! 

LMAO!  I'm confused as to how else your boyfriend thinks you're supposed to consume food?  Does he honestly have the belief that a rational human being is going to open a bag of something delicious and simply eat 1/6th of it?  What race of superhuman robots does he belong to?? Just kidding.  I'll have to check out that popcorn although I'll get a case of freaky swelled ankles if I eat too much salt :(

Speaking on cheddar and caramel mix, there is a place in Chicago's called Garret's that literally makes the best of whatever that is called.  Whenever I would go for work, I would always spend my last dayin a dark hotel room and eat it.  Like some sort of popcorn fiend.  If you're ever in Chicago, you must try it, but do it on your last day...on your way to the airport...and only buy the smallest bag....

LOL - the day I see Kelly Ripa consume, and keep down chocolate flavored peanut butter is the day I resolve to teach a pig to fly.  I'm much bigger than Kelly Ripa and even I wouldn't let that chocolate Jif past my front door.  I've had and lost that fight with Nutella (which, by the way, Nutella can stop lying about how its a "healthy alternative" already, a healthy alternative to what exactly, putting arsenic on my toast?)

BTW credit where its due, I wish I had come up with Yogurt Bitch - but someone else did although I can't remember who.  I'm not that witty!  I don't want anyone to think I'm stealing that, because I think its hilarious!

(edited)
So you see Charlize Theron in her commercial looking beautiful and tearing off her jewelry as she walks through a gorgeous room that looks straight out of paris.  Keira Knightley wakes up next to a man and takes off on a Vespa looking beautiful, somewhere in Italy.

The commercial with Charlize Theron, Grace Kelly and Marilyn Monroe. Keira Knightley channeling Audrey Hepburn. We are talking 5 of the most beautiful women who ever walked the earth. Especially Keira Knightley and Audrey Hepburn. But of course Grace Kelly is in a league of her own.

Years ago I saw a show about Hollywood wealth. And it describe actors and producers who had net worths of 60 million dollars as being poor. With real wealth in Hollywood starting at about 100 million dollars of wealth.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 1

^^ Girl the way the good Lord intended.   In which case, food doesn't come in a *bag*, it's housed in a container made by nature.  Muffucah whatever.  He didn't used to talk like Yanni when we met I swear.

Oh my stars, my last day on earth food....how could I possibly? that's like trying to pick a favorite child, but you know what? fuck it, I have one of those too, so I'm gonna have to go with the fakest thing to ever come out of a lab:  entenmann's chocolate iced marshmallow cake or, OR haagen dazs french vanilla.  

what is this of which you speak?  the smallest bag?  HA HA HA!!!  I laugh at your "smallest" bag.  I can't have a single serving of gum

I think you are that witty so to the both of you, let me say thank you for keeping my day a'giggle.

• Love 2

One I don't see mentioned that should really go away (maybe I mentioned him before but I've seen him pop up again). It's the guy who's "shopping" at a Costco-like store, but he's tearing open packaging to only "buy what he wants". It ends with that smug bastard pushing an almost empty cart out to the parking lot while others are 'struggling' with huge packages of stuff. I think it might be for insurance or something; but I just can't think of how much waste and how much of an idiot that guy is in general. 

If you want the smaller sizes, then go to a regular store you idiot! Don't ruin product and drive everyone else's prices up because you only want half a baguette, or one roll of papertowel. His membership should have been revoked, and he should have been charged the full price for all the crap he ruined and then kicked out for good. That would show how good "buying only what you want" works. 

• Love 4

The higher end retailers generally have ads that are meant to be beautiful, and not really logical.  So you see Charlize Theron in her commercial looking beautiful and tearing off her jewelry as she walks through a gorgeous room that looks straight out of paris.  Keira Knightley wakes up next to a man and takes off on a Vespa looking beautiful, somewhere in Italy.  Jennifer Aniston is walking through what appears to be a local downtown somewhere talking about how she only wears Aveeno.  Kelly Ripa tells me how great Crest/Colgate toothpaste is by mentioning the benefits.  The last two commercials aren't really "artsy" per se, they are more focused on the benefit of the product (how it will make your skin great, or your teeth white) versus the commercials for movie stars which are basically them just looking beautiful in a very artsy commercial.

That's the difference between brand and product advertising. 

• Love 1
(edited)
I think, at least from my industry-friend types, it used to be back in the day that A-listers shilling for products in ads was perceived as a drop in status. That's why some did ads in Japan only. But those days have sort of gone.

I think that part of it is that the studios and the make up or skin care companies are owned by the same corporation.

Edited by Neurochick

Not to mention, in one version, I swear the announcer starts with, "Hey ladies!"  Which has always made me wonder, what is so gender-specific about Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

• Love 1

Hmmm, just wondering... do you think someone like Jennifer Aniston thinks of herself in a slump? (serious question). Sometimes actors/performers are satisfied with where they are at that moment, riding high off what they have already done and will always consider themselves A-list. Not saying all because some are but Jennifer is not one I see in a slump. Alec Baldwin is another. He did the Capitol One ads ... IDK, just think it is a mixture of lots of things just like everyday life and people.

Jennifer Aniston isn't in a slump. She still gets millions of dollars for mainstream movies (last year's "We're the Millers" was a box office hit, for example.) Alec Baldwin, on the other hand, is not getting million dollar movie offers. I wouldn't say he's in a "slump" but he's not getting leading roles in cinema, so I don't begrudge him doing the odd commercial. I think my main beef (and original point) was specifically about the cast of Friends, because they were, rather famously, paid a million dollars an episode for that show. So when I see one of them doing a commercial for yogurt, or skin cream, all I can think is "Jesus, lady, how much money do you need?"

Not to mention, in one version, I swear the announcer starts with, "Hey ladies!"  Which has always made me wonder, what is so gender-specific about Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

I heard that too and it was driving me nuts. Because cinnamon is to me one of the tastiest things on Earth, I tried it. Nope, nothing magical that would appeal to women only, but the stuff is good.

^^ Girl the way the good Lord intended.   In which case, food doesn't come in a *bag*, it's housed in a container made by nature.  Muffucah whatever.  He didn't used to talk like Yanni when we met I swear.

Oh my stars, my last day on earth food....how could I possibly? that's like trying to pick a favorite child, but you know what? fuck it, I have one of those too, so I'm gonna have to go with the fakest thing to ever come out of a lab:  entenmann's chocolate iced marshmallow cake or, OR haagen dazs french vanilla.  

what is this of which you speak?  the smallest bag?  HA HA HA!!!  I laugh at your "smallest" bag.  I can't have a single serving of gum

I think you are that witty so to the both of you, let me say thank you for keeping my day a'giggle.

LMAO @ I can't eat a single serving of gum.  I honestly thought no one else had this problem but me.  :)

The smallest bag of Garret's can last me approximately the 15 minute taxi ride from Garrets to the airport.  And its a pretty substantial size.  Taxi drivers can throw out such judgmental looks.

ummm, Hagaan Daaz.....so good.

You're witty too - I really enjoy having this forum and message boards.  

That's the difference between brand and product advertising. 

There you go, but why do you think the movie star "A-listers" get the brand advertising, and the TV starts get more of the product advertising?

There you go, but why do you think the movie star "A-listers" get the brand advertising, and the TV starts get more of the product advertising?

Typically in my experience, that's been the case.  Though 'up & coming' performers sometimes will land a brand spot if the brand is trying to appear cool or to a much younger audience. 

Typically in my experience, that's been the case.  Though 'up & coming' performers sometimes will land a brand spot if the brand is trying to appear cool or to a much younger audience. 

But why do you think that is?  I mean a movie star could read off a list of benefits, and a TV star could look beautiful and classy in an artsy ad.  

But why do you think that is?  I mean a movie star could read off a list of benefits, and a TV star could look beautiful and classy in an artsy ad.  

Money.  Brand ads are evaluated differently than product ads and more money is allocated to developing and airing brand ads. 

Prestige.  Brand ads are all about image.  And associating the right image with the brand. 

In other news, I hate that motherfucker who wants "frog protection."  Why the hell would a credit card company protect your frog, idiot?  And it doesn't even tell you anything about whatever card it is.  Doesn't everyone offer fraud protection?

• Love 6

I have no idea why that guy would think a bank was offering frog protection and thus don't expect the customer service rep to think that's what he's asking about, but once they go back and forth several times with "frog/fraud" to make sure they're talking about the same thing, why doesn't one of them spell their word?  It drives me nuts.

The frog is cute, though.

I have no idea why that guy would think a bank was offering frog protection and thus don't expect the customer service rep to think that's what he's asking about, but once they go back and forth several times with "frog/fraud" to make sure they're talking about the same thing, why doesn't one of them spell their word?  It drives me nuts.

The strange thing is that its the same guy talking to himself.  Discovers whole thing was supposed to be that Discover customer service treats you the same way you would treat yourself, so why can't he understand his own thinking?

Maybe they're twins? There was one with twin sisters and the caller was surprised when the rep says something that only her twin says. They then squeal each other's names in surprise. So, the caller doesn't know where her sister works? <rolleyes>

The strange thing is that its the same guy talking to himself.  Discovers whole thing was supposed to be that Discover customer service treats you the same way you would treat yourself, so why can't he understand his own thinking?

I also hate the one with the sisters, where the rep doesn't realize she's talking to her own twin until she says 'Awesomesauce!" The rep says something stupid about how her twin says it in just that way, and then she says, "Juleee?!" Ugh.

Actually, no, they aren't the same person.  They're just look alikes (some more closely alike than others).

(edited)

Actually, no, they aren't the same person.  They're just look alikes (some more closely alike than others).

I sit corrected.  The idea is supposed to be that you're talking to a customer service rep that is you, but I guess they are different actors, which doesn't make any sense to me.  But apparently Discover answered a question on their facebook about this very issue.

Edited by RealityGal

I guess that makes your position on the frog commercial kind of amphibious.

(Maybe we need a "Groan" button in addition to the "Like" button?)

• Love 9

Maybe they're twins? There was one with twin sisters and the caller was surprised when the rep says something that only her twin says. They then squeal each other's names in surprise. So, the caller doesn't know where her sister works? <rolleyes>

Oh I hate that one, too.  The rep didn't verify the caller's account?  That should have told her it was her sister.  At the very least, if she was calling from the phone number on the account, the account should have popped up.  And at the very, very least, they should recognize their own goddamn sister's voice.

• Love 2

How about an eyeroll followed by "I see what you did there -- groan!"?  ;-)

• Love 2

There some new product that's a flea preventative and heartworm preventative all rolled into one, and in the commercial for it, this family is keeping their poor doggy in a bubble environment in their back yard to prevent it from getting fleas, heartworms, etc. First of all, assuming there are air holes for that poor dog, then it's still being exposed to both fleas and mosquitoes that cause heartworms. In the second place, the narrator lists all kinds of side effects this pill can have on your dog, which includes "depression." Good grief. Imagine the poor clinical trial dog owners who reported their dogs got depressed after taking this pill. 

On another note, it took me about four or five viewings of the latest Geico commercial to understand why the cowboy fell off his horse after riding of into the sunset. I'm just that dense.

• Love 3

I said upthread that those damned Yoplait ads would aggravate me less if another commercial the husband would turn it around on his nag of a wife and ask her why she was hanging out in front of the open fridge mentally fondling his imported beer, and I was kind of being facetious, but at the same time that's something that would never happen.

I actually just saw a Lowe's ad where the husband basically asked his wife a variation on the Yogurt Bitch's trademark snotty phrase, and I found it interesting how the subtext changed completedly. When the woman says it, it's "what are you doing? (you fucking moron)". When the man says it, it's "what are you doing? (no really, tell me, because I tried to figure it out myself and now my brain hurts)". The guy still comes off looking like the incompetent idiot who can't tie his own shoes without assistance.

• Love 2

On another note, it took me about four or five viewings of the latest Geico commercial to understand why the cowboy fell off his horse after riding of into the sunset. I'm just that dense.

Me too! Only I think it was about ten times for me. They need to make that way more obvious.

• Love 1

BA-DUM-BUM! *ching!*

I need the IKEA guy to not take his damn shoe off to show the sales person how big something is. He shoved it right in her face. I'd have shoved it up his ass.

What the hell? What was he trying to show the clerk, the shoe or his nasty-ass foot? Moron.

• Love 1