Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Magog said:

What is with Verizon shoving those 2 idiots (that hipster douche & that mush for brains from that Netflix show) all the time during the World Cup? That hipster douche has overstay his welcome & I would never use their "Unlimited" plan from them because of that jerk. That other one is very creepy & I find him to be very repulsive. Hugging a porcupine would be more charming than being around this loser. Verizon should be lucky that their FIOS system is worth a damn. BTW, the rest of their commercials also sucked. 

It can't be worse than that horrid child and her Miss Know It All act.

• Love 2

That Netflix kid who does the Verizon commercials is creepy as hell, the way he kind of glides around the room.  I would want him to get out of my house and no way would I let him babysit my kids.

• Love 3

I have an irrational hatred for a chef, I think her name is Vivian who sings the praises of Dukes mayonnaise.  The way she counts her fingers on how it’s smooth, not sweet etc. I can’t stand that commercial. 

• Love 4

I hate commercials that tout the product with a list of, say, 6 great things the product does, but a few of the list's items are the same thing, just worded differently. I can't think of specific examples right now but one in mind is for shampoo and the other is for sunblock. Oh, and I think the sunblock one referred to "the ocean" as a "condition" in which the product works.

• Love 1

I have an irrational hatred for a chef, I think her name is Vivian who sings the praises of Dukes mayonnaise.  The way she counts her fingers on how it’s smooth, not sweet etc. I can’t stand that commercial. 

LOL! My best friend and I bust on that all the time. I'll say to her, "You know what makes me slightly better than you? I have a lemony edge. And I'm not sweet." Maybe Duke's will get in a fight with Heinz mayonnaise. "Put up your dukes, Duke's!"

Man, I'm in a weird mood today. First I use the phrase "bust on that" and now I'm imagining mayonnaise jars engaging in fisticuffs.

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

LOL! My best friend and I bust on that all the time. I'll say to her, "You know what makes me slightly better than you? I have a lemony edge. And I'm not sweet." Maybe Duke's will get in a fight with Heinz mayonnaise. "Put up your dukes, Duke's!"

Man, I'm in a weird mood today. First I use the phrase "bust on that" and now I'm imagining mayonnaise jars engaging in fisticuffs.

Haha- I am truly laughing out loud. And how could I forget that lemony edge!

i just YouTubed the shit storm and in a longer ad than I have seen she praises it for making bacon “taste more like bacon”. 

• Love 2

My dad won't eat any mayonnaise but Duke's. We're NC natives; it was created in Greenville, SC, 100 years ago.

There's currently a commercial running that shows a bunch of ways people use empty Duke's mayonnaise jars. One use is as a flower vase for a table centerpiece at a rustic wedding reception. They didn't remove the label.

It's just mayonnaise, people.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

My dad won't eat any mayonnaise but Duke's. We're NC natives; it was created in Greenville, SC, 100 years ago.

I've lived in Charlotte 6 years, and have never bought Duke's - I may have unknowingly had some in a dish prepared by someone else, but I've never made a conscious decision to select Duke's.

• Love 2

I was introduced to Duke's when I moved to Raleigh for grad school.  I love it!  I was disappointed when I moved to Virginia that (at that time) no one sold it.  That changed a few years back, and now Duke's is the only mayo I'll buy.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I grew up in a home that called Miracle Whip mayonnaise and considered Helmann's too eggy to eat.

You poor thing!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9

Miracle Whip had a very confusing ad campaign a few years ago featuring quotes from people talking about how much Miracle Whip sucked. I think one complaint was that it tasted like lotion.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

i just YouTubed the shit storm and in a longer ad than I have seen she praises it for making bacon “taste more like bacon”. 

I saw that and shouted at the tv "No, it makes bacon taste like it has mayonnaise on it!".  Which is not necessarily a bad thing if you like your BLTs with a little mayo, but still.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I grew up in a home that called Miracle Whip mayonnaise and considered Helmann's too eggy to eat.

Me too.  It wasn't until maybe 10 years ago that I started to eat actual mayonnaise by choice.

• Love 1
(edited)

I really can’t stand the snotty little girl in the Kia ads.

The other boy is doing his best, ho, and he’s probably getting you things that you asked for and then you changed your mind.

And fuck right off, Kia ad execs, for making me call a little girl a ho and also for reinforcing stereotypes with the efficient girl being all sleek and styled and the incompetent minion being rumpled and schlubby.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

I hate the "flispy" bitch from the Sonic commercials (I can't think of the actresses name). "I take two words and combine them to make a cooler word" Bitch quit making up words. You are not cute. You are not clever. I do like the bit at the end with the labradoodle "You had a labrador that could draw?"

• Love 12

I can't say I enjoy mayonnaise. I eat it on veggie burgers, tomato sandwiches and other kinds of sandwiches, but it's more for moistness (sorry, everyone) and overall adherence than anything else.

Any time someone makes a grilled cheese with mayonnaise, a portal to Hell is unlocked.

• Love 12

I have an irrational hatred for the Lowe's commercial where someone is having an outdoor party and the voiceover says something like "you need more backyard for your backyard parties".  But they show some Jabronie sitting on a cooler (which is already blood boiling rage inducing) , talking to someone ...another person comes to try to get something out of the cooler and this Asshat cant be bothered to STAND UP so someone can open the top.  Instead they squat awkwardly so the person can only open it a few inches and cant even get a hand in to grab a drink or whatever.  You don't need More backyard, you need better more considerate friends or family members.  I actually yell "JUST STAND UP!!!!" every time I see this assault on common decency.

• Love 17

I'm vegetarian but not vegan because I still eat a little dairy, despite being lactose intolerant. I have long thought that eggs are vile. Slimy, viscous, mucousy grossness--except when they are cleverly baked into cakes and cookies and other desserts. I have no issues with them then.

• Love 10
(edited)

I hate all commercials (or placemats or menus) that show me some kind of horrid, multi-ingredient omelette--especially if it's in burrito format. Ugh, my stomach does a terrible flop when I see it. Also terrible but not as bad: weird, flat eggs that are folded like paper in fast-food breakfast sandwiches. 

Deviled eggs look nice on a platter but as far as taste, their name fits them, as I have learned the hard way (repeatedly--and no, I have no idea why I would think "this time I will like it!" knowing I have never liked eggs in the first place).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Oh my god, yes. Loaded omelets and breakfast burritos with the uniformly shaped meat and egg pieces sticking out. Hhhrrrrrrrr! I have to think the Weird, Flat Eggs® come prepackaged like that and are slapped onto biscuits. Stop the madness.

There are always deviled eggs (in Tupperware specifically made to hold deviled eggs) at our family gatherings and everyone is tossing them down their gullets nonstop while I'm turning green.

• Love 6

I fully realize this is “old woman yells at clouds” but I am beyond sick of commercials where people talk to their TV’s and washing machines and cars and every inanimate object you can think of.

I get that this is the way the world is going, but it’s so annoying, especially the ads where someone is watching TV and then they start yammering over the dialogue asking thirty-seven questions when they could just look up whatever it is they want their damn selves on their phones.

• Love 10

I mentioned that EasyFinancial ad a couple pages back.  I’ve seen it several more times and man that is some evil shit!  The shift from debt-ridden misery to happy, laughing no troubles family joy is just such a bullshit lie it should be illegal.  You’d think this wonderful financial “institution” was just handing out $25000 cheques and saying “here you crazy kids take this money and solve all your problems and have a great life!  Now get outta here the both of you!”  

• Love 8
(edited)
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

I fully realize this is “old woman yells at clouds” but I am beyond sick of commercials where people talk to their TV’s and washing machines and cars and every inanimate object you can think of.

I get that this is the way the world is going, but it’s so annoying, especially the ads where someone is watching TV and then they start yammering over the dialogue asking thirty-seven questions when they could just look up whatever it is they want their damn selves on their phones.

I'm afraid Alexa gets lonely if I don't talk to her.

And you don't want your devices to be upset.  I've seen that show and it doesn't end well.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 21
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Preach it, Mojo! Not too long ago, I was at someone's house- and they actually used a devise to call for a time out for their kid! Yeah, why not look stuff up in dictionaries, encyclopedias or other b-o-o-k-s- and why not use an egg timer or a watch for   time outs?!   Even though I admit that sometimes I'll surf via the desk top to look up things, I think it would be ore stimulating to the brain cells to type a word (or set a clock) than just yell out a name then ask it to do stuff one is perfectly capable of for oneself. 

Personally, the only folks I can think that devise would actually be a boon to would be the blind and/or paralyzed folks who are genuinely unable to actually read, type, etc.

• Love 10
(edited)

I don't know.  Isn't that a lot like saying "who needs a remote control??  I can just get up and walk over to the TV to change channels!"  or "Cordless phone???  Why???"  I mean technology often makes menial stuff easier...being able to call out to turn up the thermostat of switch off a light is pretty handy.  And who the heck looks anything up in dictionaries or encyclopedia anymore??  Do they even still print those? lol...but I don't like the ads for that stuff either.

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

The shift from debt-ridden misery to happy, laughing no troubles family joy is just such a bullshit lie it should be illegal.  You’d think this wonderful financial “institution” was just handing out $25000 cheques and saying “here you crazy kids take this money and solve all your problems and have a great life!  Now get outta here the both of you!”  

Not no troubles, but they've gained something. They're no longer being hounded by their old creditors, and won't be by this institution for a few months, if not years if its the kind of company that'll let you get away with token payments while you get to see what compound interest at a high rate can do to a balance.

• Love 1

I don't know.  Isn't that a lot like saying "who needs a remote control??  I can just get up and walk over to the TV to change channels!"  or "Cordless phone???  Why???"  I mean technology often makes menial stuff easier...being able to call out to turn up the thermostat of switch off a light is pretty handy. 

This is true, but the more we become reliant on this kind of technology, the closer we get to becoming those paraplegic blobs in Wall-E who never have to get off their barcaloungers. I really don't get the wi-fi controlled thermostat - how often are you at work and think to yourself "Hmm, I need to turn the heat down at home?"

• Love 8
(edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 3:55 PM, iMonrey said:

There's an ad for the Surface laptop with a woman who says "Growing up I didn't have anybody who looked like me." Really? Nobody? Not even your parents? Nobody in your family at all? I mean, I get what the ad is going for here . . . she's of mixed race. But everybody looks like somebody. Off the top of my head I can think of two different actresses she looks like.

I think she meant growing up, she didn't see anybody who looked mixed race on TV or movies.  That's what I assumed. 

But the problem is, she looks just like Cree Summer, who used to be in A Different World.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8
On 6/20/2018 at 1:54 PM, peacheslatour said:

Here's my unpopular opinion. I hate all mayonnaise.

I have ALWAYS hated mayonnaise from when I was a child and my mom put it on everything (YUK).  Then when I was about 14, I was a candy striper in a hospital and an older girl, about 16 said, "fuck, I hate mayonnaise, it looks like...." I won't repeat what she said, but use your imagination.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Apple’s new “Behind the Mac” ad contains a creepy voice tunelessly singing a song while we see a variety of faces wearing a variety of expressions gazing at their laptops. I have to mute it every time. 

Whoever sings that did a horrible job.

It's Grimes. (BTW, she's dating Elon Musk).

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dIa1/apple-mac-behind-the-mac-song-by-daniel-johnston

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Whoever sings that did a horrible job.

It's Grimes. (BTW, she's dating Elon Musk).

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dIa1/apple-mac-behind-the-mac-song-by-daniel-johnston

It's not Grimes singing -- it's a song recorded in 1982 by Daniel Johnston, so Grimes wasn't even alive yet.  Grimes just appears as an actress in the commercial with the long black hair sitting on the floor with her laptop.   And yes, the song is terribly annoying because of the voice and cheesy pathos.

Edited by DeaconBlues
clarification

I hate the "flispy" bitch from the Sonic commercials (I can't think of the actresses name). "I take two words and combine them to make a cooler word" Bitch quit making up words. You are not cute. You are not clever. I do like the bit at the end with the labradoodle "You had a labrador that could draw?"

The one doing the pantomime of drawing uses her entire hand, I guess she's imitating what a dog's paw would look like, but when I pantomime drawing or writing, I shape my fingers like I'm holding a pencil or pen. I guess I belong in the crowd that doesn't want devices doing all menial chores.

And isn't the other actress the one who used to have to drop and give 50 crunches or push-ups or something for her trainer because she dares to drink something with more than zero calories like orange juice? Now, she's gobbling down junk food at Sonic? 

And on another ad that irritates or annoys me, the Chlorox bleach ad where the one woman gets really bitchy with the other for laughing about stomach flu? I thought at first they were supposed to be mother and daughter, but I don't really care. And that actress, does anyone know who she is, she sounds like Patricia Heaton, the actress that played Raymond's wife on Everybody Loves Raymond, she even sort of looks like her, but I just don't think it is her.

• Love 2

Ellie Kemper and Jane Krakowski?  It's a real fail on Sonic's part if these two were chosen for the commercials because they are well known and everyone would recognize them, but apparently not.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And on another ad that irritates or annoys me, the Chlorox bleach ad where the one woman gets really bitchy with the other for laughing about stomach flu? I thought at first they were supposed to be mother and daughter, but I don't really care. And that actress, does anyone know who she is, she sounds like Patricia Heaton, the actress that played Raymond's wife on Everybody Loves Raymond, she even sort of looks like her, but I just don't think it is her.

That would be Nora Dunn, of SNL fame.  She used to be very funny, but now just seems bitchy.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ellie Kemper and Jane Krakowski?  It's a real fail on Sonic's part if these two were chosen for the commercials because they are well known and everyone would recognize them, but apparently not.

Ellie Kemper was a regular on The Office. Jane Krakowski was a regular on 30 Rock. They currently costar on Netflix's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I'd say they're pretty recognizable, since those have all been multi-season shows.

• Love 5