Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

There's a Saturday Night Live joke about how his music is too much like Ted talks.

Though I guess we should be referring to him as Oscar award winner Common.

Hot ass Common is halfway to an EGOT.  He’s a GO!

Apple.  I love my old iPad that no longer updates and I love my new one I am currently typing on.  However, that incessant commercial you run eleventy million times a day droning on and on about homework makes me want to throw both iPads into the fire.

• Love 8

Me too, mojoween. The voiceover is dreary and never seems to end. Apple is lucky that their iPad is such a delight because they wouldn’t be able to sell me shit with that commercial.

I can’t wait for tax season to end so I don’t have to see those godawful Turbo Tax commercials. “Nothing to be scared of at all” is not a tagline that inspires confidence.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I can’t wait for tax season to end so I don’t have to see those godawful Turbo Tax commercials. “Nothing to be scared of at all” is not a tagline that inspires confidence.

I guess each to his own; these commercials are among my favorites!  I love the monsters!

• Love 3
On 4/8/2018 at 8:32 PM, chenoa333 said:

Oh No! Match.com has a new addition to its "lame ass, horrific actors". His name is Taylor. And he's being filmed filming himself with his cell phone. 

Hey Taylor, I know someone who would REALLY like you. Her name is Courtney....go find her!

"Come find me!"   Why?  So I can listen to your nasal voice all damn day?  Mute her ASAP.

I know it has probably been discussed here before but the Charmin commercials (is it Charmin?) where they say:  "You might as well enjoy the go!"  No, I don't want to enjoy it, I want to go ASAP and get the heck outta there!!  Am I supposed to be enjoying the "go" all this time?

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I know it has probably been discussed here before but the Charmin commercials (is it Charmin?) where they say:  "You might as well enjoy the go!"  No, I don't want to enjoy it, I want to go ASAP and get the heck outta there!!  Am I supposed to be enjoying the "go" all this time?

I've never been fond of sitting on the pot.  It has always seemed like a colossal waste of time.  Not enjoyable at all.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I love the commercial because I HATE how people mangle the word "Gyro" and maybe that will help them remember.  :)

I don't know, depends on who's doing the pronouncing.  I've heard Greek people say it about three different ways.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't know, depends on who's doing the pronouncing.  I've heard Greek people say it about three different ways.

I used to work in a carnival concession and we were next to a popular Greek place many times, and they always pronounced it "yee-row".  I don't know why it drives me nuts to hear people say "Jai-Row".  Ugh......

• Love 5
On 3/26/2018 at 10:55 PM, 7isBlue said:

I hate that stupid Kyleena commercial where the women freak out about forgetting their birth control pills. I have to mute it every time. 

Yeah, my hubby makes some rather off color comments on the intentions of the couple whenever it comes on!!  

On 3/28/2018 at 5:09 PM, Barb1959 said:

That is one of the creepiest commercials.  I just shiver every time I see it....

Can't stand Leslie Mann's voice.  At all.  When I first saw that ad I thought, "Aren't you married to Judd Aptow?  You need to earn $$ from shilling lotion?"

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

"Come find me!"   Why?  So I can listen to your nasal voice all damn day?

Because Match.com isn't working for her? There's a woman on an eHarmony ad overjoyed that the company actually got her somebody. Are the dating company ads really a plea for more customers because they're having trouble finding matches for the ones they already have?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Because Match.com isn't working for her? There's a woman on an eHarmony ad overjoyed that the company actually got her somebody. Are the dating company ads really a plea for more customers because they're having trouble finding matches for the ones they already have?

Legit ones, anyway.  Dating sites are full of scammers.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

I used to work in a carnival concession and we were next to a popular Greek place many times, and they always pronounced it "yee-row".  I don't know why it drives me nuts to hear people say "Jai-Row".  Ugh......

I frequent a restaurant owned by Greeks, and they pronounce it "Jai-Row".  So there's definitely variations amongst Greeks.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I frequent a restaurant owned by Greeks, and they pronounce it "Jai-Row".  So there's definitely variations amongst Greeks.

They pronounce it with the hard J?  Like the name Jason?  I wasn't sure how to indicate a hard letter sound.  Like the word Gyroscope, but without the "scope".  I've never heard anyone Greek pronounce it that way, but there's a first time for everything.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

They pronounce it with the hard J?  Like the name Jason?  I wasn't sure how to indicate a hard letter sound.  Like the word Gyroscope, but without the "scope".  I've never heard anyone Greek pronounce it that way, but there's a first time for everything.

Yep, the hard j.  It surprised me at the time because I'd always pronounced more like "gee-ro" but maybe it's a regional thing.   It's been more than 20 years since I was in Greece, specifically Crete, so I don't remember what I heard there.  Weirdly enough, the place in Matala where we got gyros served them with the French fries inside rather than accompanying them; I've never seen that anyplace else since.

And I promise, that's my last word on gyros.

I am kind of amused by the Arby's ad, though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I've never been fond of sitting on the pot.  It has always seemed like a colossal waste of time.  Not enjoyable at all.

Lol! I thought I was the only one who wonders why our "creator" couldn't have created us without having to do the "emission release" part and I'm also not crazy about requiring oxygen to live. Hey Creator....think smarter. Not harder. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

A Greek place I often went to back on Long Island (literally "The Souvlaki Place") pronounced it the same way, like gyroscope.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, the hard j.  It surprised me at the time because I'd always pronounced more like "gee-ro" but maybe it's a regional thing.   It's been more than 20 years since I was in Greece, specifically Crete, so I don't remember what I heard there.  Weirdly enough, the place in Matala where we got gyros served them with the French fries inside rather than accompanying them; I've never seen that anyplace else since.

And I promise, that's my last word on gyros.

I am kind of amused by the Arby's ad, though.

Bolding mine:  My ex husband (notice a key word there) mispronounced that word all. the. time.  Once we went to country fair and he kept looking for a gyro stand and he must have said the damn word one hundred times.  So any commercial with that word will be a mute ASAP from me.  Thank you - happily remarried to a man who knows how to pronounce the word.  (Ex would say JI-RO with a hard J, I was like, it is yee-row but no.......  I think it bugged me because he wouldn't shut up about it, not the way he said it.)

I always (mis)pronounce it like gyroscope b/c I forget to say g_row.

22 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I just realized I do not remember seeing Turbo Tax ads this year!

• Love 1

The 'MVMT' watch ad bugs. The 2 bros-Jersey Shore looking dudes- who 'made a company' selling cheap knock offs of prestige watches; one of them says some nonsense like 'you know those nice watches that you can't afford? well, they only cost a fraction of the price to make.' Uh, Economics 101, goombas: things you buy pretty much always cost less to manufacture. That $ difference is called profit and it's really the only reason anybody makes stuff. If you want to make less money on your watch than Rolex does on the real deal, fine, but don't imply there's some chicanery involved.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

The 'MVMT' watch ad bugs. The 2 bros-Jersey Shore looking dudes- who 'made a company' selling cheap knock offs of prestige watches; one of them says some nonsense like 'you know those nice watches that you can't afford? well, they only cost a fraction of the price to make.' Uh, Economics 101, goombas: things you buy pretty much always cost less to manufacture. That $ difference is called profit and it's really the only reason anybody makes stuff. If you want to make less money on your watch than Rolex does on the real deal, fine, but don't imply there's some chicanery involved.

What? Do you mean if I buy a million widgets at a dollar a piece and sell them for $.50 each I won't make it up in volume? Astounding! ;-)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

How does turkey lunch meat even qualify as gyro meat?

I never got the gyro at Arby's before because it was just their roast beef with seasoning on it, and always left me underwhelmed.  Now it's more traditional gyro meat (thicker, and cut off of a spit), but I won't touch the turkey one.  No thanks.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

If you want to make less money on your watch than Rolex does on the real deal, fine, but don't imply there's some chicanery involved.

I think he's just trying to suggest that the bragging rights for having the brand name costs a lot more than you think.

• Love 2

Okay, before anyone runs me out of town with pitchforks and torches with this next commercial I can't stand, allow me to preface with the facts that I am a caring and concerned mom, love kids in general and I am a special education teacher.  I spend my days advocating for those with intellectual and or physical disabilities.  I am a volunteer for the Spaecial Olympics (50 years old this year!!  Yeah!)  

The commercial in question?  "Love to the Rescue for St. Jude's."  That little kids with the dark hair talking about, with a lisp, "Wuv to the Wescue" makes me want to hurl.  Then we see a PARADE of kids with serious disbilities talking about how now they can play basketball, play baseball, heck, now they can exist on Planet Earth because you made a donation.  Plus the damn thing goes on for what seems like an eternity. "Imagine a place where kids were once told they would NEVER amount to ANYTHING!!!!  THAT KID WAS ME!!" says Alec.

It is SO heavy handed - we get it!!!!

I will show myself to hell now......

• Love 18
31 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, before anyone runs me out of town with pitchforks and torches with this next commercial I can't stand, allow me to preface with the facts that I am a caring and concerned mom, love kids in general and I am a special education teacher.  I spend my days advocating for those with intellectual and or physical disabilities.  I am a volunteer for the Spaecial Olympics (50 years old this year!!  Yeah!)  

The commercial in question?  "Love to the Rescue for St. Jude's."  That little kids with the dark hair talking about, with a lisp, "Wuv to the Wescue" makes me want to hurl.  Then we see a PARADE of kids with serious disbilities talking about how now they can play basketball, play baseball, heck, now they can exist on Planet Earth because you made a donation.  Plus the damn thing goes on for what seems like an eternity. "Imagine a place where kids were once told they would NEVER amount to ANYTHING!!!!  THAT KID WAS ME!!" says Alec.

No, I'm there with you. I also fully support and donate to Saint Jude, but their most recent commercial where they ask kids what they would say to Cancer (as if it were a person) makes me feel the same way.

• Love 8

Aren't gyros traditionally made with lamb?

Sorry, when I posted the comment, it was immediately after another post with the same topic.  I have no idea how two posts (hours old!) snuck in between!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I think the Love to the Rescue commercials, where you can get an "adowable, wuv to the wescue bwanket" is the Shriners Hospital. I can't help but get creeped out by the Shriners and their hats that look like a larger version of the one Howard Cunningham wore. What gets me is that those children probably have prosthetics  but they are made to remove them for the commercial to garner more sympathy. I applaud what the Shriners are trying to do, but these commercials get overwhelming after a while. Don't even get me started on the animal ones.

• Love 11

The really weird one is the one that starts with 'wittle' Alec/x. Then at the end of the parade of disabilities, we get to see pubescent Alec/x, who now looks just odd and has a gravelly voice.

Personally, I watch the Shriners ones for the little AA kid with braids, who is so proud of himself because he can (slowly and painfully, it appears) 'climb the stairs'. I am not a sentimental person, but something about that kid just speaks of his brave spirit. I hope he's doing well.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, sempervivum said:

The guy on the right has the weirdest haircut and also what seems to be a vocal fry!

One new to me ad, for flea and tick 6 month treatment. Mom says to one family member, remind me next week to do flea and tick, that person tells another family member to remind them to remind her, that person tells another, don't these people have calendars? I put all stuff I have to remember at a future date on my computer calendar and it pops up and reminds me. In the old days, I used a wall calendar, it didn't remind me with bells and whistles, I had to look at it now and then, but for pete's sake, put the reminder in a calendar.

And apparently I'm not finished ranting! The people who ask their neighbor or a friend or a co-worker if they know someone who does some kind of work around the house, paint, plumbing, yard, etc., then tell that neighbor, friend or co-worker to get references and book a time on such and such day. I hope the work is shoddy and has to be done over and over and over! Who would do that?

Red Robin is getting on my nerves with their 2 women dining, 2 for the price of 1 or whatever, I'm so annoyed by the exaggerated crap the one does that I've quit paying attention to whatever their deal is.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

One new to me ad, for flea and tick 6 month treatment. Mom says to one family member, remind me next week to do flea and tick, that person tells another family member to remind them to remind her, that person tells another, don't these people have calendars? I put all stuff I have to remember at a future date on my computer calendar and it pops up and reminds me. In the old days, I used a wall calendar, it didn't remind me with bells and whistles, I had to look at it now and then, but for pete's sake, put the reminder in a calendar.

That commercial makes me so mad. In real life that dog would deserve to live with a family who could remember to take care of him and actually acknowledge his presence when talking about him.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I think the Love to the Rescue commercials, where you can get an "adowable, wuv to the wescue bwanket" is the Shriners Hospital. I can't help but get creeped out by the Shriners and their hats that look like a larger version of the one Howard Cunningham wore. What gets me is that those children probably have prosthetics  but they are made to remove them for the commercial to garner more sympathy. I applaud what the Shriners are trying to do, but these commercials get overwhelming after a while. Don't even get me started on the animal ones.

My husband keeps telling mr he is going to send me a Wuv to the Wescue blanket!  These kids make it sound like Evil Doctors and Cruel Society was going to lock them away until.....your donations saved them!

Cosentyx and their "See me!" ads can stop now, too.  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And apparently I'm not finished ranting! The people who ask their neighbor or a friend or a co-worker if they know someone who does some kind of work around the house, paint, plumbing, yard, etc., then tell that neighbor, friend or co-worker to get references and book a time on such and such day. I hope the work is shoddy and has to be done over and over and over! Who would do that?

But that's the point of the ad - that no one would ever do that, but isn't it great that there's a company (whose name I can't even remember!) that will do that for you?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, friendperidot said:

They're probably the same women who forget they have an IUD and panic about whether or not they've taken/packed their Pills.

• Love 14

Those Shriner's ads are horrible. I agree most of kids probably have prosthetics but don't use them for the commercials. But the kid I find incredibly creepy (and I'll be in hell, too) is the one with no arms. After he says, "I can write my name!" he has this fakey smile...and then I saw some extended thing about him...and his MOM doesn't have any arms, either!!

• Love 3

The fact that they're surely made to remove their prosthetics is what bothers me about the Shriner's commercials, too.  At least do like a before and after so we can see that our money is going to get these kids prosthetics.  If they're going to show how the one kid can write his name! and another kid can climb the stairs!, why can't they show a kid with a prosthetic who can braid her hair! or something?

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 9
On 4/5/2018 at 4:58 PM, chenoa333 said:

I've never seen a commercial that makes absolutely no f'n sense (to me). Maybe it's about kids? and I have none. Maybe it's a toy to teach kids to poop in a toilet? But what are those tiny little things being extracted from the toilet? 

Is "i have to pooparoo" the new "i gotta take a shit?"

My takeaway is "Eat shit"!

WTF.

• Love 4
On 4/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Every time this commercial comes on I shout, "I LOVE TO SHIT!"

Shit! Who is working at the ad agencies these days?

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

the one with no arms. After he says, "I can write my name

aw, I think he looks genuinely happy.

I am kind of obsessed with the girl who looks to be a young teen, who has a normal size upper body, but little legs about 12 inches long; I've never heard of such a deformity.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Those Shriner's ads are horrible. I agree most of kids probably have prosthetics but don't use them for the commercials. But the kid I find incredibly creepy (and I'll be in hell, too) is the one with no arms. After he says, "I can write my name!" he has this fakey smile...and then I saw some extended thing about him...and his MOM doesn't have any arms, either!!

I hate to be a bitch about this but if I had such a disability I would not have children on the chance that it could happen to them.

• Love 11
59 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I hate to be a bitch about this but if I had such a disability I would not have children on the chance that it could happen to them.

I don't think you are a bitch about this.  It is IMO the responsibility of the parents to PREVENT such a disability being foisted on their helpless children.  That's what amniocentesis is for. 

• Love 6

One of the many reasons I chose to not have children was to not pass on my mental illness. I never really wanted kids anyway. I also wanted to end the pattern of single motherhood that has plagued my family for several generations. Unfortunately, both of my sisters are single mothers with deadbeat ex-husbands.

• Love 12

I'm so tired of this damn OxiClean commercial about getting all the mud out of the bottom of a white wedding dress when the wedding was held in a freaking barn! These two nit wits are acting like it's a miracle that the OxiClean removed the mud stains when they should have arranged for the bride to have a 2nd outfit on hand for afterwards so none of this would have happened in the first place. It makes the women look like idiots especially the bride for choosing a dress WITH A TRAIN to wear for her barn wedding.

Edited by Jaded
Grammar
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I'm so tired of this damn OxiClean commercial about getting all the mud out of the bottom of a white wedding dress when the wedding was going to be held in a freaking barn! These two nit wits are acting like it's a miracle that the OxiClean removed the mud stains when they should have arranged for the bride to have a 2nd outfit on hand for afterwards so none of this would have happened in the first place. It makes the women look like idiots especially the bride for choosing a dress WITH A TRAIN to wear for her barn wedding.

What the hell was the previous bride doing??  Rounding up pigs?  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I don't think you are a bitch about this.  It is IMO the responsibility of the parents to PREVENT such a disability being foisted on their helpless children.  That's what amniocentesis is for. 

Reminds me of the parents of a developmentally disabled client I worked with years ago. The parents kept having children until they ended up with a "normal' child. Once they finally had a child with no disabilities, they took their disabled children and dumped them into the system. I think they ended up with two or three developmentally disabled children before having a child without any problems.

Edited by bigskygirl