Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Me too.  Take it off, and there's nothing there except two wimpy patties, and a whole lot of bread.

Do they only make glazed donuts?  We have zero KK anywhere near here, so the only ones we see are the ones kids sell in fundraisers, and you get no choice - they're glazed.  I hate glazed donuts.

They make other doughnuts too. The chocolate covered ones are amazing. And now I want some. And there are no KK stores here. *cries*

• Love 2

The view of the State of Liberty in the Liberty Mutual commercials always amuses me. We took the QM2 from Brooklyn to Southampton, England last year, and this was the view from our balcony before we left. Not even close to the commercial's various scenarios.

libery.jpg.jpeg

• Love 2

The Apple commercial with the obnoxious Muhammed Ali "I am the greatest" voiceover.    I was only a kid when he was in his prime but I hated that bragging shit then and I still hate it now.   Even more now, because I already lived through it once.   Some things ought to remain in the past.

Whoever thought that using Muhammed Ali "I am the greatest" speech to promote making selfies for the stupid iPhone X was a great idea should be sent on a one way trip to a woodchipper. As if I need another reason to hate Apple & their very stupid commercials. Maybe those dumbasses at Apple can find a Mother Theresa speech or quote to promote their latest crappy IPhone X commercial.

Gaten Matarazzo has a disease called Cleidocranial dysostosis, which affects the bones and the teeth.

I'm far more bothered by the stuffing his face with cereal that someone else bought AND daring to criticize the cereal selection.  That kid is really annoying in those commercials, but I'm sure it's the character, not the actor.

I can't get into that show he is on (Stranger Things) because he is downright irritating. I like FIOS a lot, but him in their commercials would of turned me off for considering their service. 

McDonald’s.  Tell me something.  Why is it that one piece of processed American cheese is going to drive every child in this country to morbid obesity, but Big Macs are what this world needs to make every adult happy?  Are you saying that if they don’t get the cheese when they are younger, they can have it when they are older?

Also, watching people chomp on Big Macs is gross.  Quit it.

Also also, if I’m walking into McDonald’s I already know I'm going to eat garbage.  Don’t tell me how to raise my kid.  And you want to promote healthy food?  Sell a hamburger for four dollars and a salad for a buck twenty nine.

The special sauce is why I hate Big Macs, not the selling point.

I don't like Big Macs because they're absolutely disgusting. Frankly, I hate both the Whopper & Big Mac. I would rather eat mountains of kale than stuff my face with a Big Mac. And what is so special about their "special" sauce anyway? Its not like that stuff is Trader Joes or Wegmans quality.

Speaking of absolutely disgusting, I don't know why Dunkin Donuts is promoting those Girl Scouts Cookie coffees. I would rather just buy the cookies (especially the Thin Mints). That stuff looks awful & Dunkin Donuts is a vile company. I don't know who came up with that "America runs on Dunkin" slogan, but that is a lie on so many levels. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Magog said:

Whoever thought that using Muhammed Ali "I am the greatest" speech to promote making selfies for the stupid iPhone X was a great idea should be sent on a one way trip to a woodchipper. As if I need another reason to hate Apple & their very stupid commercials. Maybe those dumbasses at Apple can find a Mother Theresa speech or quote to promote their latest crappy IPhone X commercial.

I can't get into that show he is on (Stranger Things) because he is downright irritating. I like FIOS a lot, but him in their commercials would of turned me off for considering their service. 

I don't like Big Macs because they're absolutely disgusting. Frankly, I hate both the Whopper & Big Mac. I would rather eat mountains of kale than stuff my face with a Big Mac. And what is so special about their "special" sauce anyway? Its not like that stuff is Trader Joes or Wegmans quality.

Speaking of absolutely disgusting, I don't know why Dunkin Donuts is promoting those Girl Scouts Cookie coffees. I would rather just buy the cookies (especially the Thin Mints). That stuff looks awful & Dunkin Donuts is a vile company. I don't know who came up with that "America runs on Dunkin" slogan, but that is a lie on so many levels. 

If you're inclined - 

Melt chocolate, stir in peppermint extract, dip Ritz crackers to coat, lay on waxed paper/parchment to set.

The most amazing homemade Thin mints.  You'll just give the Girl Scouts a donation and tell them to keep their evil cookies.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

They make other doughnuts too. The chocolate covered ones are amazing. And now I want some. And there are no KK stores here. *cries*

I always wondered about that.  We only have DD here.  I don't buy their donuts anymore since they stopped making them onsite, and have them trucked in.  Good thing I'm not a huge donut person anyway, but they killed off our beloved Mister Donut here, and I've never gotten over that.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Right? It just makes the guy in the ad look stupid when he complains that he picked the wrong insurance company instead of the wrong insurance. You know his agent told him he could spend whatever extra money it'd take to cover to cost of total replacement, but he was too cheap to pony up. Serves him right for being a tightwad.

There's a new version of the ad where he mentions being able to get the same coverage at his old company; some state regulator must have complained. The last part of the ad is exactly the same, so he comes off as even flakier than before.

• Love 1

Low Sodium V8 is a thing.

I switched to that awhile back. It's an acquired taste - definitely sort of bitter at first if you're not used to it.

This came up last time it was in heavy rotation but I must vent about that stupid Geico commercial with the Sumo wrestler figure skater. The reason it irritates the hell out of me is because it's clearly made by people who know nothing about figure skating and is insulting to those who follow the sport. Aside from the absurdity of someone in a Sumo wrestler loincloth out on the ice there is nothing "surprising" about the way he is skating. He's skating about as well as you would expect from a Sumo wrestler, doing fake moves like "the baby bird" where he's just barely moving across the surface of the ice while doing stupid poses. Furthermore, neither the audience nor the commentators would be ooh-ing and aah-ing over these "moves."

This would be a far more effecting and visually hilarious commercial if the Sumo wrestler were doing actual figure skating moves like spins and jumps. Now that would be surprising. As is, the commercial seems to suggest figures skaters just glide around doing stupid poses so the only thing "surprising" is the participant himself. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Chocolate covered cake donuts are sublime. :)

My absolute favs! We used to have a thing called a "nutrition break" at my jr. high. We could all go to the cafeteria and there was a window everybody would line up at and you could get yogurt, muffins and the most delicious chocolate covered donuts I've ever had in my life. Boy, was I addicted to those things.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Furthermore, neither the audience nor the commentators would be ooh-ing and aah-ing over these "moves."

I don't know about the audience, but there are commentators who seem to be paid to be in awe of the competitors. If he were to fall, about all you'd hear from them is something like "ooh, that'll cost him" in a respectful tone.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

And they have chocolate cake, blueberry cake, jelly, crulllers, powdered, and special edition donuts. They do sometimes run out of special editions due to high demand. When they had the dark chocolate glazed you could only get those at certain hours.

ok i need to stop commenting on KK. We have UberEats and I'm close to getting a dozen and eating them in bed.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

There's a new version of the ad where he mentions being able to get the same coverage at his old company; some state regulator must have complained. The last part of the ad is exactly the same, so he comes off as even flakier than before.

Good.  I was bitching about that ad months ago because it just didn't make sense.  I'll be sure to pay attention the next time I see it. 

So do any Dunkin' Donuts still make them on site?  I know I'm not being fair to them  because we have three in my city including two that are standalone locations. But the only one I've actually been in is one that was connected to a gas station simply because it was across the street from my old job.  The workers could not have been less thrilled to be there  and it was just sort of scuzzy.  Give me a hot glazed from KK any day. *drool*

But to spin this back to commercials: every so often when I drag myself out of bed at 6:30 in the morning, I mumble as I walk to the bathroom "Time to make the donuts." True story. Lol

• Love 4
On 2/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, proserpina65 said:

Plus, she doesn't even make sure that the dog doesn't eat the damned pacifier.  Dogs can and will eat those - to their misfortune.

The special sauce is why I hate Big Macs, not the selling point.

Nothing from McDonald's taste like real food. From the beef for the hamburgers to the hamburger buns. GROSS. And their fries are greasy, mushy and limp. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Nothing from McDonald's taste like real food. From the beef for the hamburgers to the hamburger buns. GROSS. And their fries are greasy, mushy and limp. 

Sometimes, despite all that being true, McD's is what I want.  But not the Big Mac - never the Big Mac.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I switched to that awhile back. It's an acquired taste - definitely sort of bitter at first if you're not used to it.

This came up last time it was in heavy rotation but I must vent about that stupid Geico commercial with the Sumo wrestler figure skater. The reason it irritates the hell out of me is because it's clearly made by people who know nothing about figure skating and is insulting to those who follow the sport. Aside from the absurdity of someone in a Sumo wrestler loincloth out on the ice there is nothing "surprising" about the way he is skating. He's skating about as well as you would expect from a Sumo wrestler, doing fake moves like "the baby bird" where he's just barely moving across the surface of the ice while doing stupid poses. Furthermore, neither the audience nor the commentators would be ooh-ing and aah-ing over these "moves."

This would be a far more effecting and visually hilarious commercial if the Sumo wrestler were doing actual figure skating moves like spins and jumps. Now that would be surprising. As is, the commercial seems to suggest figures skaters just glide around doing stupid poses so the only thing "surprising" is the participant himself. 

My take on it is that the mere presence of a Sumo wrestler in a figure skating competition is the surprising thing because of the unlikelihood of such a thing happening.  I thought it was amusing at first but have grown tired of it.  Although I do still love the WTF expression on the other skater's face.  Which, for me, refutes the idea of the commercial suggesting that figure skaters just glide around striking poses.

• Love 2

I remember the Big Macs from my childhood tasting pretty good, but the last time I had one, it tasted like garbage. Instead of making their food cheaper, they should concentrate on making it better.

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I don't know about the audience, but there are commentators who seem to be paid to be in awe of the competitors. If he were to fall, about all you'd hear from them is something like "ooh, that'll cost him" in a respectful tone.

The skating federations hand-pick their darlings, and the commentators follow suit.  Dick Button used to annoy the bejeezus out of me because he'd often pick on a lot of things, but especially the skaters weight (usually women).  Yes, they are well aware they need to stay thin, but harping about it does nothing but give them eating disorders.  He picked at Elizabeth Manley a lot for it.  You can tell when a skater bucks the federation and squeaks through because their abilities can't be ignored or hidden.  People just gloss over them, or act like their being there is some lucky fluke, or scoring wonkiness.  Worse yet, the entire time they skate, they'll talk about someone else.  I loved the skating world, but it's very "mean girl' in many ways.  Thankfully I never rose above "recreational" level.  I couldn't have handled it.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Sometimes, despite all that being true, McD's is what I want.  But not the Big Mac - never the Big Mac.

There are about 3 or 4 occasions per year, when nothing but an Egg McMuffin will do.  

get in my belly gif.gif

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 7

Enough with the Twizzler ads. Hate everything about them. The music, the twizzler, the laughing. Stop.

The Chili's ad for babyback ribs. Such an annoying song. I have to mute the tv every time it comes on.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Enough with the Twizzler ads. Hate everything about them. The music, the twizzler, the laughing. Stop.

I hate Twizzlers, so having one poking me in the face would just make me stabby.

• Love 7
On 2/28/2018 at 3:07 PM, DeaconBlues said:

I'm pretty sick of Mila Kunis and her smug smokey-voiced sex kitten act in the Jim Beam commercials.

Is this crazy bitch an heir to the Jim Beam empire? Or just hired for the commercial? 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Chili's ad for babyback ribs. Such an annoying song. I have to mute the tv every time it comes on.

Oh dear god, I hate the Twizzler ads. Especially the one with the guy who has a big furry beard. I cant help but wonder what smells are lurking in that long furry muff.

By the way....This thread is the only one in my "saved home page content" that is still appearing when i log into PT,  so my dear friends...(or as Iyanla would say: "my beloveds") you are stuck with me!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, chenoa333 said:

By the way....This thread is the only one in my "saved home page content" that is still appearing when i log into PT,  so my dear friends...(or as Iyanla would say: "my beloveds") you are stuck with me!

At the top of the page, there's an announcement thread that tells you how to fix that.  I had the same problem earlier, except I had none of my customized threads!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

At the top of the page, there's an announcement thread that tells you how to fix that.  I had the same problem earlier, except I had none of my customized threads!

Thanks BROWNCOAT. I saw that announcement at the top of my PT forum page. I'm on the internet via my cell phone so maybe thats why I still cant get my customized page corrected properly. I tried. I have no patience with technology, so I'm probably going to be forever stuck in "commercials that irritate, or outright enrage". 

1 minute ago, chenoa333 said:

Thanks BROWNCOAT. I saw that announcement at the top of my PT forum page. I'm on the internet via my cell phone so maybe thats why I still cant get my customized page corrected properly. I tried. I have no patience with technology, so I'm probably going to be forever stuck in "commercials that irritate, or outright enrage". 

Here's another thing you can try -- it worked better for my iPad.  Go to Edit Subscriptions (you don't have to change anything), then come back to forums and see if that helps.

(edited)
15 hours ago, Pickles said:

I know!  The latest one I saw was with a guy being poked in a scraggly beard.  All I can think is how unsanitary that is.  Yuck!

Ok, someone already mentioned this.  I hate when I post and then find out there is a next page that I didn't see.

About the home page fix, just click the On Air button.  Viola!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

Thanks to all of my awesome PT posters whose suggestions worked (on getting my Custom Page back to normal!) 

And.....to answer my own question I posted upthread: Mila Kunis is a "spokesperson" for Jim Beam. I have also learned that Mila is Greek so not much chance she would be a descendant of the Jim Beam family. She's very pretty/sexy but her years of living with McCauley Caulkin (spelling?) always made me wonder what the hell is WRONG with her!  

• Love 1

Speaking of ads being modified because of possible industry complaints: the Charmin bears on vacation. Just about the point where I finally find the mute button, dad bear used to say he can't use the hotel stuff because it's "terrible toilet paper" - the alliteration made it stick in my head. Now it's "flat toilet paper".

15 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Is this crazy bitch an heir to the Jim Beam empire? Or just hired for the commercial? 

??

Pretty sure she's just getting paid to shill for them.  Like most celebrity spokespeople (spokespersons?) 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I remember the Big Macs from my childhood tasting pretty good, but the last time I had one, it tasted like garbage. Instead of making their food cheaper, they should concentrate on making it better.

But then they'd have to raise prices. Oh, wait. They're already doing that with their $1/2/3 gimmick. They're advertising their sausage McMuffin for $3. They were just 2 for $3.33 (i.e. $1.67) a few months ago.

• Love 4
On 2/27/2018 at 12:59 PM, Brattinella said:

My cat eats dry food.  The healthy, pricey dry food.  She loves it. 

My cat loves her dry food too. 

I hate the Liberty Mutual commercial where the son says he knows what a lug wrench is. First of all, I hate the snotty way the kids talks to the dad.  Second if the kid doesn't know what a lug wrench is, it's the dads fault, not the kids. Both of my kids, one of which is female both knew how to change a tire and check and change the oil before they learned how to drive. 

This one is extremely petty but it bugs the hell out of me every time. It's a commercial for the drug called Latruda. A mom (grandma?) is putting a little girls hair in a pony tail and she misses a big, long clump of hair that's hanging in the kids face. Stupid, I know but it bugs. 

• Love 7

"Taking Latuda can cause an increased rate of death in elderly dementia patients". What the fuck are these pharmaceutical companies selling us? 

I have not had to depend on pharmaceutical drugs because I dont have any health issues (yet) but if and when I do...Im pretty sure street drugs are going to be safer. 

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

increased rate of death

What does this even mean?  I hate when pharmaceutical companies say things like this, especially "increased chance of death".  Sorry for being morbid, but everyone's chance of death is 100%.  If only they would say "premature death", meaning sooner than the average life span, I'd be okay with that.

• Love 11
(edited)

I now peripherally work in the pharma industry and I have to read that stuff every day--and I am only slightly less baffled* than I was before I had this job! I can tell you though that vague things like "increased chance of death" are likely spelled out in excruciating detail elsewhere; a commercial or certain print ads will probably only refer a reader to the source instead of trying to cram it into 30 seconds or onto a page.

* I pray to work on an account for Linzess someday; maybe then I can find out the reasoning behind saying something like, "Don't give to children under 6," immediately followed by "Don't give to anyone from age 6 to age 18." Why not just say "6 to 18" all at once?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

* I pray to work on an account for Linzess someday; maybe then I can find out the reasoning behind saying something like, "Don't give to children under 6," immediately followed by "Don't give to anyone from age 6 to age 18." Why not just say "6 to 18" all at once?

Or just say "Don't give to anyone under 18."  Yeah, that warning is very confusing.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

One is a contraindication (children <6) and one is a warning (children >6 - 18).  Those are different vis a vis the FDA.

The actual language is:  Do not give LINZESS to children who are less than 6 years of age.  You should not give LINZESS to children 6 years to less than 18 years of age. 

• Love 3