Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

It just depends on your plan; I have neither a deductible nor an annual limit.

And count me in with wondering why the "I'm bathing the children" woman doesn't just say, "No thanks, I'm not interested" rather than coming up with an excuse (especially since, as has been amusingly pointed out, the excuse does nothing to scare the guy away if he's casing the joint rather than trying to drum up business).

• Love 3

Count me in with the rest of you who are being driven crazy by that University of Phoenix ad. It's on every damn channel I decide to watch it seems.

Oh dear god! [/Frasier voice]  MAKE IT STOP!!

• Love 6

What CHANNELS are you guys watching??

It feels like it's on every channel I watch!  It's a Windows 10 ad called "Meet the Bug Chicks."  I mean, I can deal with a lot of bugs but there ARE limits to what I want to see magnified a zillion times while I'm sitting on the couch with my late-night TV snack ;)

• Love 4
(edited)
And count me in with wondering why the "I'm bathing the children" woman doesn't just say, "No thanks, I'm not interested" rather than coming up with an excuse (especially since, as has been amusingly pointed out, the excuse does nothing to scare the guy away if he's casing the joint rather than trying to drum up business).

I think the reason it irritates me so much is that it reinforces negative stereotypes of women as being "too polite for their own good." We get brought up to always be nice and kind, often to our detriment.

This is a likely criminal on your doorstep! And you feel like you have to send him off with a polite excuse?

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 13

I came here today to post specifically about that Bug Chicks ad.  The first time I saw it, on ESPN I think, they showed it twice in a row....yes back to back I got to see that giant hairy spider close up.  Never again.  Every time it starts up I am blocking my eyes.  Unnecessary, especially since they're not selling bugs, or spiders, or a fun kid activity, they're selling Windows 10, or higher.

• Love 4

Unnecessary, especially since they're not selling bugs, or spiders, or a fun kid activity, they're selling Windows 10, or higher.

No software company should ever associate itself with "bugs", because the joke that they *are* "selling bugs" is way too obvious.

• Love 10

Does anybody else think that the guy in the Anastasia Date craziness just goes back to his dingy little basement apartment and beats off to those videos the girl posts? Just me?

• Love 2
(edited)

I came here today to post specifically about that Bug Chicks ad.  The first time I saw it, on ESPN I think, they showed it twice in a row....yes back to back I got to see that giant hairy spider close up.  Never again.  Every time it starts up I am blocking my eyes.  Unnecessary, especially since they're not selling bugs, or spiders, or a fun kid activity, they're selling Windows 10, or higher.

Consequently, my laptop is also selling Windows 10, since every hour I see a pop up window for Windows 10.  

I purposely purchased a laptop with Windows 7, and skipped the disaster that was Windows 8....so neither bugs, nor pop up windows is really going to make me change my mind at this point.  I mean, lets get real Windows, if the promise of being a guaranteed million dollar winner isn't enough to get me to click a pop up ad, what chance do you really have?  Unless of course they re-release Windows XP as Windows 11.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 6

Thanks so much for posting that!  Cool bugs!  And I would MUCH rather see that ad than the puppymonkeybaby ad!

I have an almost pathological fear of centipedes, so even though puppymonkeybaby is an abomination before dog, it's better than the Windows 10 ad for me.  If someone had handed me a giant bug of any kind (except a ladybug or a butterfly) when I was a kid, I'd have dropped dead on the spot.

• Love 5

No software company should ever associate itself with "bugs", because the joke that they *are* "selling bugs" is way too obvious.

I don't know that it's possible to come up with a joke regarding Microsoft and bugs that hasn't been completely worn out.

• Love 2

I have an almost pathological fear of centipedes, so even though puppymonkeybaby is an abomination before dog, it's better than the Windows 10 ad for me.  If someone had handed me a giant bug of any kind (except a ladybug or a butterfly) when I was a kid, I'd have dropped dead on the spot.

I feel that way about spiders. I remember going to the children's museum when I was a kid and they had a "rainforest" where there were a couple of tarantulas and the presenter tried to get us to pet them. Notafreakingchance.

Do y'all remember that cell phone ad where a picture of a spider pops up when the phone rings and the lady at the table just loses her shit and they smash the phone to bits? I would be that lady.

• Love 9

I purposely purchased a laptop with Windows 7, and skipped the disaster that was Windows 8....so neither bugs, nor pop up windows is really going to make me change my mind at this point.  I mean, lets get real Windows, if the promise of being a guaranteed million dollar winner isn't enough to get me to click a pop up ad, what chance do you really have?  Unless of course they re-release Windows XP as Windows 11.

I never thought there was a problem with Win 3.1

I get really annoyed with the airline commercial where Jennifer Aniston complains about no showers.  Oh, the horrors of being a One Percenter!  (Who would want to shower on a plane anyway?)

• Love 7

I get really annoyed with the airline commercial where Jennifer Aniston complains about no showers.  Oh, the horrors of being a One Percenter!  (Who would want to shower on a plane anyway?)

If you're on a 16 hour flight to Asia, a shower on the plane is a really nice perk. That said, there's no way you come out all beautifully coiffed and made up. Especially if there is turbulence!!

• Love 2

I feel that way about spiders. I remember going to the children's museum when I was a kid and they had a "rainforest" where there were a couple of tarantulas and the presenter tried to get us to pet them. Notafreakingchance.

Do y'all remember that cell phone ad where a picture of a spider pops up when the phone rings and the lady at the table just loses her shit and they smash the phone to bits? I would be that lady.

I'm that girl too.  The shots they bug girls had on their computer were cool, but holding a giant spider on my hand....oh no.  I'm one of those people that will pet a snake with one finger from a foot away.

Oh lord, I hate the Yoplait commercial in which they are go "mmmmm" and "MMMMM" I just hate it.

Oh yeah, the one where the dad basically has an orgasm in front of his kids?  Disturbing, I do not want to know whats in that yogurt cup...although, it probably tastes better than disgusting Yoplait.

• Love 1

Do the folks having those toilet cleaner ads realize that for their subjects to poke their heads out of the commodes [and say 'It's clean'], that they'd have had to crawl up a sewer line?

• Love 2

This ad for the California Psychics kills my soul:

Lady, if you're "suffering" because of some issue you're having with your boyfriend, you should probably lose the boyfriend. Or see a shrink. Or do both. But a psychic is not going to help you with what the real problem is. I'd bet cash on it.

• Love 10
(edited)

Why do they have Flo on the 'boy bands' and 'shopping network' commercials behaving like she's a gnat who refuses to get the hint that everyone's sick of her and won't be swatted away? Come on, if the folks running these spots are starting to get that fewer and fewer folks tolerate much less like her, what's the point of them keeping inflicting her on us!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
BooksRule, on 27 Feb 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I'm finding the newest commercial for University of Phoenix annoying.  For one thing, forage and mortgage do not rhyme.   And there are too many words being forced to try (and they fail) to fit into the tune.  Finally, the commercial has turned that song into an earworm for me.  (But at least I'm singing the real words in my head and not the ones from the commercial.)

ETA:  I just watched it again.  'Faster' and 'multitasker' also do not rhyme.

I loathe violence against women, as any good gentleman should, but every time she says "Still don't think I got a brain", I want to punch her hard in her smug ass mouth.  You went to the University of Phoenix - don't act proud.

As for Oprah and the bread (which also irritates me, along with hearing about her fat ass for close to thirty years), it's official - Oprah is the anti- Marie Antoinette.  Or The Bizzaro Marie Antoinette.  Take your pick.

And count me in on the Bug Ladies hate.  I'M TRYING TO EAT HERE!!!!

• Love 6

I'm finding the newest commercial for University of Phoenix annoying.  For one thing, forage and mortgage do not rhyme.   And there are too many words being forced to try (and they fail) to fit into the tune.

And the voice is not particularly pleasing.  And it seems to be on constantly.

• Love 5
(edited)

Does anybody else think that the guy in the Anastasia Date craziness just goes back to his dingy little basement apartment and beats off to those videos the girl posts? Just me?

What's the deal with that, anyway? I assume it's a cover for some sort of mailorder bride operation b/c how exactly does someone in America go on a date with a woman in Eastern Europe? Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 3
(edited)

As for Oprah and the bread (which also irritates me, along with hearing about her fat ass for close to thirty years), it's official - Oprah is the anti- Marie Antoinette.  Or The Bizzaro Marie Antoinette.  Take your pick.

Bizarro Marie Antoinette FTW!

Great. Now that University of Phoenix song is stuck in my head.

ETA: I clicked on the link and was treated to an extended version of the University of Phoenix ad. This version of the song includes the lyrics "I took two bullets in the chest. Got three kids I never rest." How is this supposed to entice someone into enrolling in the University of Phoenix? What KILLS me is someone got paid to write this shitty take on a well-known classic movie song. Everyone involved in the making of this commercial needs to have a Kansas farmhouse dropped on their stupid heads.

Edited by mmecorday
  • Love 9

This version of the song includes the lyrics "I took two bullets in the chest. Got three kids I never rest." How is this supposed to entice someone into enrolling in the University of Phoenix? 

One of the many many things they're in trouble for is abusing the federal student aid for veterans program. If truth in advertising applied, that song would be riffing off their legal troubles. UoP doesn't care about your brain, all they care about is if you only had a loan.

• Love 4

I assume it's a cover for some sort of mailorder bride operation b/c how exactly does someone in America go on a date with a woman in Eastern Europe?

A quick google says it's via webcam and "romance tours" (where groups of guys are flown over), but it'd probably be more accurate to say that it's a cover for a scam, rather than a real mailorder bride operation.

• Love 3

A quick google says it's via webcam and "romance tours" (where groups of guys are flown over), but it'd probably be more accurate to say that it's a cover for a scam, rather than a real mailorder bride operation.

romance tours?  There is a documentary on NF about this sort of thing and it is fascinating.  Like a terrible, terrible trainwreck.  I can't believe these people have a TV ad!  Pervs are coming out of the dark!

• Love 3

Do the folks having those toilet cleaner ads realize that for their subjects to poke their heads out of the commodes [and say 'It's clean'], that they'd have had to crawl up a sewer line?

And that was the Eugene Toom's episode of "The X-Files."
  • Love 2

Why do they have Flo on the 'boy bands' and 'shopping network' commercials behaving like she's a gnat who refuses to get the hint that everyone's sick of her and won't be swatted away? Come on, if the folks running these spots are starting to get that fewer and fewer folks tolerate much less like her, what's the point of them keeping inflicting her on us!

The association has been engraved on our brains. Flo = Progressive. They don’t even need to say much anymore.

• Love 2