Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He's in school right now. He's not pastoring anywhere, other than his stupid Doctrine and Donuts. 

I know, but when he was supposedly pastoring, he still spent the holidays away from his church.  I wonder if he is going to be a pastor once he gets done with school or if Daddy Mac will give him a job somewhere in his organization.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Meow Mix said:

I know, but when he was supposedly pastoring, he still spent the holidays away from his church.  I wonder if he is going to be a pastor once he gets done with school or if Daddy Mac will give him a job somewhere in his organization.

Oh okay, I didn't know if you knew he was in school now. But yeah, he took plenty of vacations when he was pastoring. We'll see if he becomes more dedicated once he gets that PhD. My guess is no. 

• Like 7

Why is Jeremy still in "school"? Isn't a Masters Program one year? I believe this guy is a professional student. I often wonder what exactly are they living off of financially? It costs a pretty penny to live in CA.

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Why is Jeremy still in "school"? Isn't a Masters Program one year? I believe this guy is a professional student. I often wonder what exactly are they living off of financially? It costs a pretty penny to live in CA.

I think the Masters program was 2 years. He's now going for a PhD. No idea how many years their program is. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2

Salacious Kitty, your post may prove my point that Jeremy is a perpetual student and will never really "graduate" from any program and actually work for a living even as a pastor.

• Like 10
10 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Salacious Kitty, your post may prove my point that Jeremy is a perpetual student and will never really "graduate" from any program and actually work for a living even as a pastor.

Totally agree. He's allergic to work.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

In fairness to him, he has graduated from two programs already - undergrad and a master's degree - and he's hardly the first or only person to go straight from an MA program to a doctorate. He also does seem to have some sort of job with this program, again pretty typical for doctoral students. And although he might very well follow this up with another doctorate, my sense is that the goal is not so much to be a perpetual student, but to be a perpetual Christian influencer/speaker person.  

He's already been able to pick up some paid speaking gigs. I think that once he finishes this doctoral program, he'll be able to pick up some sort of teaching position at a small Christian college somewhere, and use the whole "Hi, I'm a professor! With a doctorate! And I've been on TV! Look at my social media numbers! And my photos of hamburgers!" to get a few additional speaking gigs. Between that and Jinger doing occasional shilling for various companies and "writing books," I think these two will be financially fine. Maybe not able to buy all of the lovely watches and shoes Jeremy wants, but otherwise financially fine.

• Like 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, Snow Fairy said:

Hillary Spivy called on Jinger's christian healthcare ad. It looks like Hillary had a child with cancer and they don't cover the treatments.

No, Christian cost sharing "insurance" is notorious for not covering cancer and other serious illnesses. I heard Hilaria's rampage was posted on Pickles' FB, but I didn't see it. Ditto Hilaria's IG, which I assume was the original source. I guess it was a story that has expired. ETA Also checked Jinger's IG, in case Hilaria responded to Jinger shilling, but there wasn't a post like that.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 6

My opinion is that Jeremy may have graduated from those previous degreed programs because he had the next one to sign up for. Let's see when he runs out of programs what he will do. 

• Like 10
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

My opinion is that Jeremy may have graduated from those previous degreed programs because he had the next one to sign up for. Let's see when he runs out of programs what he will do. 

I completely agree with you that Jeremy does not appear to have much of a work ethic - or if he does, he's hiding it well. And I doubt he'll ever run out of programs, so, perpetual student is a possibility. I once met someone who had earned three PhDs (and the answer to the question all of you are asking is "family money") so....yeah, possible.

But, again, in all fairness, I just checked, and apparently he finished his undergrad degree in 2010, and then worked as a soccer player until 2015/2016, and then as a pastor until 2019 - even after starting his grad program in 2018. He only became a full time student/hamburger person in 2019 after he moved to Los Angeles, and even then, as per court documents, he seems to have picked up some sort of part time administrative job through his masters/doctoral program, which is pretty typical of grad students.

Based purely on his social media, to me he always seemed more interested in the bragging rights (look at me, I'm in grad school unlike the rest of those Duggar hicks!) and less into the academics/research. I may be misjudging him there, but I don't think so - most of his posts seem to be about hamburgers and golf and all the great people he's meeting through his program, not what he's learning through his program. And sure, maybe that's because he isn't learning anything, but it's also not giving me the impression that he's interested in learning anything. My guess is that had things gone differently, he would have ended his studies once he earned that MA and could wave it around, saying, see, I'm a serious Christian! And hamburger person! And writer!

But then, in November 2019, Josh's car lot was raided, and in April 2021, Josh was arrested, immediately cancelling the TV show and reducing the value of the Duggar brand. Given later reports that federal agents were investigating/interviewing multiple Duggars during 2020 and 2021, it's my guess that Jeremy (and Jinger) had some warning that this might be coming up, and Jeremy figured (or was told) that if/when Josh was arrested, he would now need more than the MA and the Duggar association to continue to get speaking engagements. 

Thus the doctorate, which may help him get speaking engagements. Not any actual interest in study: for all his irritating pseudointellectualism, he seems focused on the credentials, and not the actual learning. Which suggests to me that he won't be a perpetual student. A perpetual irritant, sure. 

We'll presumably find out in another couple of years - I don't think his doctoral program is supposed to last all that long.

• Like 6
  • Useful 4
(edited)

I can see him doing a post-doc and a fellowship to prolong his unemployment. He doesn’t have the chops to lead a mega church or whatever it takes. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Like 10
5 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Si can see him doing a post-doc and a fellowship to prolong his unemployment. He doesn’t have the chops to lead a mega church or whatever it takes. 

Jinger's money won't last forever. He's going to have to find gainful employment at some point, probably fairly soon. 

• Like 12
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Si can see him doing a post-doc and a fellowship to prolong his unemployment. He doesn’t have the chops to lead a mega church or whatever it takes. 

Yeah, I think you're completely correct about his lack of chops. But even if he had any, I just can't see many churches, regardless of size, being thrilled about a potential pastor who shows more interest in gourmet hamburgers and expensive shoes than theology. 

But he and Jinger still have fairly large social media numbers, and have gotten their names on books, so I can see them continuing to pick up the occasional Christian influencer/speaking gig. Maybe even something explaining to us just how Paul's Letters to the Corinthians justify spending money on luxury watches. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
11 minutes ago, quarks said:

Yeah, I think you're completely correct about his lack of chops. But even if he had any, I just can't see many churches, regardless of size, being thrilled about a potential pastor who shows more interest in gourmet hamburgers and expensive shoes than theology. 

But he and Jinger still have fairly large social media numbers, and have gotten their names on books, so I can see them continuing to pick up the occasional Christian influencer/speaking gig. Maybe even something explaining to us just how Paul's Letters to the Corinthians justify spending money on luxury watches. 

I don't know, burgers and kicks are cheaper than mansions, planes and helicopters. And... there's likely a new generation ready and willing to throw their money at "hip" preacher.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know, burgers and kicks are cheaper than mansions, planes and helicopters. And... there's likely a new generation ready and willing to throw their money at "hip" preacher.

...I don't think I personally would or even could describe Jeremy as "hip" even with the use of quote marks.

• Like 2
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, quarks said:

But he and Jinger still have fairly large social media numbers

The problem with the numbers is, they don’t match with engagement. Normally that’s what gets looked at. For example, Jinger has 1.4 million followers. However, just looking at the most recent, her posts have less than 20 replies, with the exception of a new year’s post with 49, and a Christmas post which has around 500 replies. 

It’s very rare for Jinger to even reply to those posts. Zero engagement. There are people who buy “followers”, so engagement is important. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 3

If you compare Jinger, Jessa, Jill and Joy's IG numbers, Jessa out does them all. She has 2.5 million followers and gets 15k - 100k in likes. Joy has 1.1 million and gets the same numbers in likes as Jessa, although she hovers around 25k. Jinger has 1.4, similar numbers in likes, but hovers around 20k. Jill has 1.8, rarely goes above 50k and averages under 10k.

Two things Jessa and Joy have in common are YouTube channels and they show their kids on IG.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I never get the impression Jeremy actually is interested in the things he bandies around. He would actually probably be more interesting as a person (even as a pretentious one) if he had hobbies he genuinely liked, but the vibe I've always gotten from him is he wants the attention from the persona rather than any sincere interest. He also reminds me a lot of this:

30 Rock Hello GIF

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 14
(edited)
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

The problem with the numbers is, they don’t match with engagement. Normally that’s what gets looked at. For example, Jinger has 1.4 million followers. However, just looking at the most recent, her posts have less than 20 replies, with the exception of a new year’s post with 49, and a Christmas post which has around 500 replies. 

It’s very rare for Jinger to even reply to those posts. Zero engagement. There are people who buy “followers”, so engagement is important. 

Oh, sure. But to be fair, that reduced engagement is true across the board right now - with pretty much everyone from celebrities to government officials to people chatting about kittens reporting a major drop in engagement on multiple social networks. So that's probably not as big of an issue as it once was.

The bigotry and the apparent complete inability to sound sincere about anything, plus the pseudointellectualism, are, I think, bigger problems. Or maybe they just irritate me more.

But even with those problems, Jinger apparently earned somewhere in the low six figures in 2017 from various sponsored social media things. The huge reduction in posts makes me think that she's probably earning considerably less than that now, but it does demonstrate that working as Christian influencers isn't completely unrealistic for them.

Edited by quarks
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

It's a good thing Jeremy has lots of connections in the world of hamburgers and fancy shoes, because he may need that to secure an honest living someday flipping those burgers or selling those shoes.  He can't grift forever under the guise of "student," but I have to say, he's done pretty darn good so far.  If he ever pairs up with JillRod, there's no telling how far they could go.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
57 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I think he will work for MacArthur and that he probably hopes to replace MacArthur when/if he retires.

is Jeremy even qualified for that?  Genuinely asking, because I can't see him going from part-time student/preacher/influencer to the leader of a megachurch, although I have no doubt Jeremy thinks he could handle it.

I also wonder if Johnny Mac has been using Jeremy this whole time because of who he's married to, and Jeremy has been enjoying the perks and hoping to float on for as long as he can.  I have always thought it was a weird arrangement between two men with giant egos.

• Like 13
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

is Jeremy even qualified for that?  Genuinely asking, because I can't see him going from part-time student/preacher/influencer to the leader of a megachurch, although I have no doubt Jeremy thinks he could handle it.

I also wonder if Johnny Mac has been using Jeremy this whole time because of who he's married to, and Jeremy has been enjoying the perks and hoping to float on for as long as he can.  I have always thought it was a weird arrangement between two men with giant egos.

I think Jeremy would eventually be as qualified as Johnny Mac himself. However, I don't know what attracts people to MacArthur. Perhaps he's an engaging speaker? I don't think Jeremy is, from what I hear.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I don't think Jeremy has the wherewithal to emerge as a MacArthur replacement, though I don't doubt he fancies that for himself. Jeremy strikes me as someone who's very desperate to be liked, which I doubt is a great personality trait for playing MacArthur version of Game of Thrones, and he also lacks the charisma or gravitas that you'd need for that. 

A bit of a diversion, but I think the same principle applies. I once read an insightful interview with an author who's written about a lot of cult figures, and he was asked about the difference between Charles Manson and Jim Jones. He basically said Manson was too much of an overtly off-putting weirdo to appeal to anyone but a couple of dozen disaffected outcasts. Jones at the height of his power could and did manipulate very affluent, intelligent, well-educated people and maintained a sizeable congregation.

I think Jeremy is likewise too much of an off-putting weirdo to ever appeal to enough people to achieve replacing MacArthur. That's not to say MacArthur himself isn't an off-putting weirdo himself. I coined the term Hateful Old Fuck for him a few years ago for a reason. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 But he does seem to have enough people believing he's not an off-putting weirdo to be successful at his purpose. Jeremy just radiates desperation and off-putting weirdo, and in the past, pastoring one church seemed like too much work for him. I don't see him growing enough to suddenly be able to rule MacArthur's empire. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 20
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

It's a good thing Jeremy has lots of connections in the world of hamburgers and fancy shoes, because he may need that to secure an honest living someday flipping those burgers or selling those shoes.  He can't grift forever under the guise of "student," but I have to say, he's done pretty darn good so far.  If he ever pairs up with JillRod, there's no telling how far they could go.

Imagine Jinger selling plexus??? She would probably outsell JillPM lol. Jill PM head would explode!

• LOL 7

I don't Jeremy could handle MacDaddy's job, but I think he'd make a great yes man circling around whoever is in charge.

Jeremy's IG reflects a guy trying to find out who he is - which appears to be an odd duck. However, I think he may be waddling with his flock. In other words, he likely fits right in with all the MacDaddy suit wearing homies.

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't Jeremy could handle MacDaddy's job, but I think he'd make a great yes man circling around whoever is in charge.

Yes I agree he's great sycophant inner circle material. LOLOL 

• Like 10
  • LOL 6
8 hours ago, BetyBee said:

However, I don't know what attracts people to MacArthur. Perhaps he's an engaging speaker? I don't think Jeremy is, from what I hear.

IMO, MacArthur is not engaging.  I've suffered through a couple of sermons of his and the only thing he has going for him is that he communicates the rightness and certainty of what he's saying.  It's super easy if you aren't well churched in another tradition to be convinced he has THE answers.  Sadly for him, I'm a well catechized in a different system.  MacArthur drones on and on and on for close to an hour and has very little inflection in his voice, tells no jokes or interesting stories, and just tries to sound super educated.  Sound like anyone else we know?

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Like many of think....Jinger merely traded Gothard for MacArthur. How is MacArthur such an expert in all things spiritual?

That's a good question.  I am very surprised by the main stream, liturgical churches that use McArthur's materials for Bible study classes.  Most people have no idea of his background or actual teachings in his daily life.

• Like 4
  • Useful 5

Jinger posted another video from Joy & Austin's visit.  This one is the rock climbing adventure.  Joy and Austin sure have visited the Jinger and Jeremy a lot. Have Jessa and Ben been out to LA to visit? Of course with 5 young kids that would be a hard and expensive trip.  Jessa's kids seem to have the most boring childhood of all the the Duggar grands. 

• Like 8
(edited)

Punchable Aunt Cade is a father again. Gabby gave birth to Ivy Josephine, to be called Ivy Jo. Poor Gabby. If Cade keeps her pregnant, she's not going to have much of a career, and let's face it, she's the talented one in that couple.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/other/gabby-barrett-husband-cade-foehner-welcome-their-third-child-photo/ar-BB1irHuE

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Auto fill strikes again!
  • Like 1
  • Sad 11
  • Useful 3
26 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Punchable Aunt Cade is a father again. Gabby gave birth to Ivy Josephine, to be called Ivy Jo. Poor Gabby. If Cade keeps her pregnant, she's not going to have much of a career, and let's face it, she's the talented one in that couple.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/other/gabby-barrett-husband-cade-foehner-welcome-their-third-child-photo/ar-BB1irHuE

Ivy jo is suspiciously similar to Cade’s mancrush Jeremy’s evy Jo. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 4