Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I lasted 46 seconds. Truly awful, frenetic and discordant piano playing...it's like an article of faith that all Fundy piano players slam on the piano, overuse the sustain pedal and sweep all over they keyboard. At least Erin does this with some panache, but no Jin, just no.

That said, I like Jinger more than the other Duggettes, so I don't like snarking on her particularly as much as I do the others. I get she's trying to do this from memory and maybe improv a bit, but it's truly dreadful.

I'm very uneducated about music. I really know next to nothing. (grew up poor and no music lessons)  

I heard Jinger and thought "that is awful" but figured it was just my ignorance and she was actually pretty good. 

HA! Guess I'm not as stupid as I thought.  She really is bad! Too much banging and I didn't even recognize the song.  Aren't you supposed to recognize the song? It was terrible.  

• Love 1

Jeremy posted it was "O Holy Night".     I didn't recognize it at all.  

I know zero about music production but I know hymns.  

I guess it was an artistic version? Whatever it was, I didn't care for it.  When your life is SO controlled that Jinger is being a bad ass by making a hymn funkalicious? That's their only form of self expression and independence? Banging on a piano and funky hymns.  Nice life, Duggars.  

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 3

I really felt mean snarking, since I haven't played my own piano in well over 10 years, but it was pretty bad.  Should have let the poor girl warm up a bit, Jeremy.  I get the improv bit, but since that's the only piano music they have been exposed to, I understand they play like they're in church.

Typical of the Duggs, too lazy to do more than one take.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I'll give them a pass on this one. Theater goers often peek into their binoculars before a show to get a closer look at the stage/theater, and people watch. At least I do. LOL.

I agree and I also will say that most performances that I have been too usually frown on people taking pictures and/or video during a live performance.  So it would seem best to take your picture early and stage it. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Eh, Jinger does a lot of Liberace flourishes, etc., but she isn't manic like Erin Bates.

They seem to live that style of playing. She's good at it. 

Liberace was properly and classically trained at a time when students would be expelled for "musical insubordination" if they went to a conservatory or prestigious college, Nothing less than being able to read music, rather than memorizing chords and patterns was acceptable, since it was possible "to remember it wrong".

That said, both Elton John and Tori Amos (who are among my favorite rock pianists) were expelled from music schools. They had to learn the rules before they broke them on their own terms. I think it's really cool now that online piano tutorials exist to help you learn faster, rather than hunting and pecking a measure at a time, but being able to understand keys and time signatures and read notes is still an enviable skill.

Sadly, I'm sure the only thing Jinger might know of Liberace or Elton John is about their being gay, and we know how they feel about that. Other talented keyboard players: Richard Wright (Pink Floyd), Tori Amos, Enya, Jonathan Cain (Journey), Tuomas Holopainen (Nightwish), Amy Lee (Evanessence)...and I'd also be remiss in not mentioning Sondheim for show tunes and film scores.

I'm foaming at the mouth just thinking about how low the bar has always been for these kids since they've had to miss out on all this talent. I'm sure certain classical composers or pieces were also forbidden if they had "waltz" or "dance" in the piece or the composer wasn't Christian enough. I get it that rural Arkansas is not the epicenter of culture. Please Jinger or Jana, give us an Internet FU of you playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata nicely, and we'll love you forever.

• Love 3

I identified it as O Holy Night, but it took me until about 30 seconds in.

She's not horrible, IMO...I took lessons for about 10 years, and probably could have played something like that from memory back in the day (I did play a fair amount of Chopin, which, while not the same style, can involve quite a lot of the keyboard and some really meaty chords). Haven't played in years, though, and I'm sure I couldn't tackle anything like that anymore.

All those arpeggios show more muscle than musicality, though...She mostly hit the right notes, but it didn't feel natural or effortless as things like that need to if you want to pull them off...Though the restrained ending showed that she might actually have a halfway decent touch if she didn't feel the need to overblow everything.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

She's not horrible, IMO...I took lessons for about 10 years, and probably could have played something like that from memory back in the day (I did play a fair amount of Chopin, which, while not the same style, can involve quite a lot of the keyboard and some really meaty chords). Haven't played in years, though, and I'm sure I couldn't tackle anything like that anymore.

All those arpeggios show more muscle than musicality, though...She mostly hit the right notes, but it didn't feel natural or effortless as things like that need to if you want to pull them off...Though the restrained ending showed that she might actually have a halfway decent touch if she didn't feel the need to overblow everything.

Yeah, I agree.  She got most of the notes right. It was the heavy handedness that I found offputting and that made it sound so discordant.  Had she used a softer touch, it would have been far more pleasing.

That said, Duggars are far too rictus to ever just let go...too fearful and approval seeking.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 2

I took piano throughout my childhood years, and to this day I couldn't play like that from memory, so I can't hate on Jinger too hard. She'd probably be halfway decent if she didn't try to pound the piano into the ground and add in so many unnecessary flourishes. 

9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Ugh, that was a totally pimped up, low-rent Erin Bates imitation version of O Holy Night. It's my favorite religious Christmas carol, so I hate to see it bastardized.

It's a good thing you've never attended my annual office Christmas party. My gazillionaire boss' spoiled brat, pill popping daughter gets up and sings O Holy Night every year and absolutely murders it. My eardrums are permanently damaged from her shrieking out that one really high note.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

t's a good thing you've never attended my annual office Christmas party. My gazillionaire boss' spoiled brat, pill popping daughter gets up and sings O Holy Night every year and absolutely murders it. My eardrums are permanently damaged from her shrieking out that one really high note.

I guess this is why so many people try out for American Idol...no one has ever told them they suck.

• Love 14

Sometimes, less is more.            Jinger's musical skill would've been better displayed if she stuck to less phony funk. 

jeremy posted he could listen to that all day.  He got hit in the head with the soccer ball one too many times.   ;)

I have no musical training whatsoever and I don't feel bad snarking on Jinger.  The Duggars have minimal training in a variety of areas and think they are way superior to everyone, especially when it comes to delivering a baby.  As a homeschooler, they embarrass me.   Now it's my turn.  

Sorry, Jinger, I hated it. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I recognized "O Holy Night" also after a few seconds in.

I agree, she has technique, but no soul. The fingers don't go flying over the keyboard, they work troddingly over it. There's no joy in the playing, she could be typing for all the care she put into it.  Do they ever truly smile as they make music or are they concentrating too much on getting it right?

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The Duggars playing instruments reminds me of kids who are forced to take lessons, but don't really enjoy it or have a passion for the music. They're very wooden when they perform.

In comparison to the Reith Family who are accomplished Fundy bluegrass musicians (we met them since one of the sisters courted Zachary Bates), you can tell they very much enjoy themselves and work hard to play music pleasing to the ear.

• Love 3

I listened to it again. 

I heard a few parts of O Holy Night and a few parts of How Great Thou Art.  Other than that, I'm sticking with my original opinion that it was a mess. 

Jeremy is posting like "oh look what my precious little girl can do!"  Kinda condescending or childlike or something  If I post my little kids doing something, I would word it like that. I word things differently when I'm talking about my teens and husband.  

Yet another creepy vibe from Jeremy.   

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I listened to it again. 

I heard a few parts of O Holy Night and a few parts of How Great Thou Art.  Other than that, I'm sticking with my original opinion that it was a mess. 

Jeremy is posting like "oh look what my precious little girl can do!"  Kinda condescending or childlike or something  If I post my little kids doing something, I would word it like that. I word things differently when I'm talking about my teens and husband.  

Nah, she just remixed O Holy Night. I wonder where that church was. And I guess we know Jinger's job in the Laredo church. It may not be a Steinway, but she'll be tickling the non-ivories of some cheap keyboard.

• Love 2

If we can't even agree what song she was playing, that is a total fail!!!!!!   I swear How Great Thou Art is in there.  Maybe she was doing a hymn mix and even Jeremy didn't know!!!!!!!! He was just excited she can do something, anything!!!  "Look, Jinge can play the piano! She walks and talks too!"  

Freaking hot mess of Duggars.   

Sew, yes, you got that right.  She will banging the piano every Sunday in Laredo.  I will hear her up in NYC.  I won't know what hymn she is banging though.  :) 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

I listened to it again. 

I have a friend who plays and teaches and she says piano accompaniment is different than performance. She performs but will rarely accompany anyone who is singing. Accompanying a singing congregation would actually be a useful skill within their ministry and I wonder if that's something Jinger can do.

and yes, Jeremy is creepy.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

If we can't even agree what song she was playing, that is a total fail!!!!!!   I swear How Great Thou Art is in there.  Maybe she was doing a hymn mix and even Jeremy didn't know!!!!!!!! He was just excited she can do something, anything!!!  "Look, Jinge can play the piano! She walks and talks too!"  

Sew, yes, you got that right.  She will banging the piano every Sunday in Laredo.  I will hear her up in NYC.  I won't know what hymn she is banging though.  :) 

I listened to it again.  She hit the same sour notes on "O night divine"...at least she was consistently wrong.  Goes back to memorizing wrong or learning it wrong.

She would have gotten away with a lot more with the lid of the piano down and not muddying the sound with the sustain pedal. An open grand piano will be LOUD and errors will be magnified. Check out this young girl on YouTube...very talented classically trained Russian girl who also plays a lot of rock and pop and metal...she's got good volume control and speed control...this is a fast metal number but she clearly has the demeanor of a concert pianist and the lid of her grand piano is up. Just skip through it to watch her play parts...all instrumental just her and piano. Even if not to your taste, you can appreciate her training.

• Love 4

Ok, at first I though "meh," but I'm not a musician so I figured it was more about style than technique. But listening again knowing that it's O Holy Night? She's bad. She needs to stick to simple melodies and not even attempt any fancy embellishments. She doesn't have the range. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Ok, at first I though "meh," but I'm not a musician so I figured it was more about style than technique. But listening again knowing that it's O Holy Night? She's bad. She needs to stick to simple melodies and not even attempt any fancy embellishments. She doesn't have the range. 

I expect that in a way she'd actually do worse with simpler music, though. Here she can disguise her complete lack of musicianship, soul, spirit, touch, art, subtlety, sense of beauty and emotion behind arpeggios and full chords. If she played something simple, she'd actually have to play it. Which is what I'm pretty sure she simply can't do, at least not for a whole song. It's the rictus somebody above mentioned. Coming from the complete squashing of imagination, authentic emotions and thought in that family. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I expect that in a way she'd actually do worse with simpler music, though. Here she can disguise her complete lack of musicianship, soul, spirit, touch, art, subtlety, sense of beauty and emotion behind arpeggios and full chords. If she played something simple, she'd actually have to play it. Which is what I'm pretty sure she simply can't do, at least not for a whole song. It's the rictus somebody above mentioned. Coming from the complete squashing of imagination, authentic emotions and thought in that family. 

Yes, the simpler the arrangement, the less that can be gotten away with. That way you get the purity of the notes and chords so you can identify them by feel and sound.

Hymns are very simple arrangements but they are effective as they are. Enya's Irish Catholic upbringing gave her a love of hymns, and as a result, most of her piano music is simple yet lush.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 3

I'm not sure if Jinger's piano playing was good or bad, but she was able to play the piano. I don't get the context though; the place was empty except for some guy standing next to her and she appeared to be wearing a coat. Was she playing for fun? Auditioning?

• Love 5
On 1/2/2017 at 2:51 PM, rue721 said:

Jinger seems quite artistic, though -- at least as much as she ever could be within the tight constraints of her world. She's always been the one who was interested in the arts, interested in city life, etc. I think her wedding showed that she actually does have a pretty good eye, too -- the wedding might not have been perfect, but it was in a whole different league from her sisters'.

I think it's likely that she'll really, really want to keep going to performances, exhibits, galleries. Much more than Jill ever did. It seems like arts and culture are things Jinger has been dreaming about her whole life, and it seems like she's ecstatic to finally be experiencing them firsthand. I hope that Jeremy doesn't see any harm in that or brushes it off as irrelevant -- and honestly, I don't think he will. He's a lot of things, but he doesn't seem like a rube. He might even think it's feminine and refined that she's artistic. He might even find it attractive. He also seems to enjoy playing Henry Higgins to her Fair Lady, so I can see him enjoying showing her "the finer things" in life, like opera or ballet, because of that, too -- and Jinger genuinely enjoying the opera or ballet itself!

I guess my fingers are still crossed for them. I don't think that Jinger is a rebel in the least, but I do think that she might have some emotional depth to her after all (maybe), some soul. After all, she's the artistic one, the one who lit up like a firecracker around her man, the one who was going on about being devastated over the depths of her sinfulness (at age 5). She clearly feels things deeply. And if she does have some soul, it's probably going to lead her further and further away from the TTH. The kids with more brains but less heart, like Jessa, might actually end up sticking closer, because following JB's rules and collecting rewards from him for it is the ostensibly more practical and "smarter" path, and they won't feel as compelled (by their feelings) toward a different path anyway.

I'm with you, I think it's great that Jeremy is clearly (IMO) doing what Jinger "I want city living" wants to do for a change.  It would also make logical sense considering his family members are classical musicians.  I also don't think her playing is bad, having played myself, and I clearly think she's following someone else's overblown sheet music from memory and didn't whip up the arrangement herself.  At minimum she had to carve out time in the TTH barn to hear herself listen and think long enough to learn multi-octave two-hand pieces.

18 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I guess this is why so many people try out for American Idol...no one has ever told them they suck.

True that!  You can hear them too, in your mind's eye, can't you?  "But I sing every year at the holiday party... everyone loves me!"

• Love 3

I think she was just playing for fun and on the spot. That's why she didn't rearrange anything or move the kid, that's why the place is empty.

Whether or not this style will get her a spot at Carnegie Hall, doesn't matter. This is the style they prefer - lots of flourishes and embellishments, beating the keys = passion and devotion, etc. Jinger's playing fits that style.

A lot of smaller sized evangelical churches have pianists who can't read a note of music and the choir accompanies them more than they accompany the choir - especially when it's the pastors wife playing. This is exactly what Jin is doing. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't know...maybe, or maybe not. She may not have quite the right training, real above-average talent, or the interest to devote the sort of hours which playing at that sort of level, all over the keyboard with real skill would entail. Doesn't mean she wouldn't be able to play a`simpler piece with nuance and feeling if she has any innate musicality and doesn't have to devote every bit of concentration in a given performance just keeping up with all the notes she has to hit . I think it's just that the way the Duggars have been taught is "bigger is better" and damn the details. I know they do listen to some classical music, so she'd have some sense of what it should sound like when done properly, but if you don't have the right training and someone who will help you develop style and nuance in your playing, it's still very easy, especially in a big, showy piece, to think you sound just like the source material when in reality you are only hitting approximately the same notes.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't know...maybe, or maybe not. She may not have quite the right training, real above-average talent, or the interest to devote the sort of hours which playing at that sort of level, all over the keyboard with real skill would entail. Doesn't mean she wouldn't be able to play a`simpler piece with nuance and feeling if she has any innate musicality and doesn't have to devote every bit of concentration in a given performance just keeping up with all the notes she has to hit . I think it's just that the way the Duggars have been taught is "bigger is better" and damn the details. I know they do listen to some classical music, so she'd have some sense of what it should sound like when done properly, but if you don't have the right training and someone who will help you develop style and nuance in your playing, it's still very easy, especially in a big, showy piece, to think you sound just like the source material when in reality you are only hitting approximately the same notes.

Oh, yeah, that's a good point. I completely agree that that's possible. I wasn't really trying to comment on her potential. I was just talking about what I expect that she can now do. And I really don't believe that, no matter what she has in her, she could play with nuance right now. Because, as you say, it goes against everything the Duggars are and have "learned." ... Whether she has any nuance in her is a completely open question, I agree. It's just that, right now today, I can't see her taking a simple piece and playing it with musicality. I think right now today she'd just sound wooden playing something simple, since musicality obviously isn't in the mindset she's absorbed, whatever her actual buried capabilities are. She may well have musicality down in there. Or, again, she may not. Wonder whether she'll be influenced at all by her new in-laws, who seem to actually know what music is.

2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Is this the style they prefer, or the only one they have ever known?

The only one they've ever known, I expect. The Duggar parents and most of their acquaintance pretty much lack souls and squelch all authentic emotion. So they're unlikely to have listened to much that was actually expressive, for example. The kids have been told that they'll be the devil's prey if they step an inch out of the straitjacketed world they live in -- and they generally seem to have bought this crap -- that I doubt they ever even feel very many real preferences any more, let alone express them. Plus, of course, they don't get exposed to much that they could choose among. Since most of what they might choose from has been decreed to be worthless by the duggar and gothard powers that be.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Marigold said:

I agree with you that it was a combination of Oh Holy Night and How Great Are Thou.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

I think it's likely that she'll really, really want to keep going to performances, exhibits, galleries. Much more than Jill ever did. It seems like arts and culture are things Jinger has been dreaming about her whole life, and it seems like she's ecstatic to finally be experiencing them firsthand. I hope that Jeremy doesn't see any harm in that or brushes it off as irrelevant -- and honestly, I don't think he will. He's a lot of things, but he doesn't seem like a rube.

And she will have the opportunity in her new home. Despite it's well-earned redneck image, there's a lot of culture available in Texas, if you don't mind driving a day or so to find it. Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth have world class symphonies, theatres and opera and ballet companies. Austin's music scene is legendary, although probably way too hip for even the most open-minded Duggar. Lubbock is also quite musical (they're very proud of native son Buddy Holly), although the emphasis there is more on country and rockabilly music. But they do have a very well-regarded symphony orchestra. Lubbock actually might be a good fit for Jinger; it's close to being the "big city" she's dreamed of, without being so big and overwhelming that a girl as sheltered as she's been will feel lost or scared. Of course, it all depends on how supportive Jeremy is. I think you're right, as long as she fulfills the traditional role of Fundy helpmeet, he'll encourage her cultural interests. I think he'd enjoy setting himself apart from Jim Bob, Derrick and Ben by having a more "sophisticated" wife than brood-mare Michelle, clingy Jill and selfie-obsessed Jessa. I think he likes to see himself as a righteous man of the Lord, who's still comfortable in the outside world.

I also think Jim Bob picks up on this (he's stupid in many ways, but quite shrewd in sniffing out anything that's a threat to his dominance) and that's why he was so snotty during the trip to Lubbock to inspect Jinger's new home. He senses the potential for one of his daughters to slip out from under his control and build a life that doesn't revolve around her parents. He never seemed happy about Jeremy; I think he gave his blessing very reluctantly and only because he desperately needed a courtship and wedding for TLC. Notice that he's being super-careful with Joy. She's being rushed into an arranged marriage with a carefully-approved Fundy boy who lives well within the Duggar sphere of influence.

It's been speculated that the big building Jim Bob is renovating is for a new church. If that's true, it may be a hastily-improvised maneuver to get the Vuolos back under his control. He'll offer the pastorship to Jeremy (with the promise of lots of TV exposure) as a bribe and if it works, Jinger will be consigned to spend her days hanging around the TTH with her sisters.

• Love 3

Jeremy's in Laredo, which is where Jinger's 'rents visited for the show episode. Laredo is a border town in South Texas, and at 95% Hispanic/Latino, one of the least diverse cities around.

Lubbock is an ag and oil town in the Texas Panhandle,  500 miles northeast of Laredo. Much different demographics.

ETA: This is in response to Albanyguy's post above; sorry for not doing a quote/response format.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 2

I have a friend who lives in Lubbock. Trust me, the Vuolos would LOVE it there; it's a seething pit of bigortry. My friend and her husband, who works at the university, are literarlly scared to voice a true opinion.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I have a friend who lives in Lubbock. Trust me, the Vuolos would LOVE it there; it's a seething pit of bigortry. My friend and her husband, who works at the university, are literarlly scared to voice a true opinion.

BUT . .. . .Buddy Holly!

• Love 1

My best friend also lives in Lubbock and her husband also works atthe university. 

And Texas Tech isn't even safe for liberals! MAYBE in the sector where my friend's husband works (it's artsy), but overall, they say that the college is pretty much a shit hole of bigotry. 

• Love 3

Up to page 50.....I had given up on the Dugs a long time ago (pre-scandal), but this whole thing has me intrigued, so I'm sticking this one out.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:49 AM, CofCinci said:

Perhaps he can jazz it up with some interpretive dance and props.

That would probably be OK because he's dancing for the spirit and not the flesh (hurrrrllllll).

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, Vaysh said:

That birthday video though...

Are they not allowed to say anything that isn't related to religion? Every single thing she mentioned about Jeremy was about how godly he was and how thankful she was to God and how she has prayed for years to God for a godly man like Jeremy who loves God and fears God (is fear a good thing?) and how super attracted she is to him because he knows God's godly words and wow, this marriage will be fun. I thought nothing could be worse than her parents generic birthday greetings to their children but this one takes the cake. Does Jinger actually know Jeremy at all aside from the religious stuff?

She knows that God said he's good, so that's God...er....good enough for her.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:41 AM, Lemur said:

That or he's sitting on his left testicle and is too modest to fix his junk in front of his daughter.

You win the internet.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:50 AM, Sew Sumi said:

On a "wedding planning trip." I think Cringe is wearing one of Babe's old jerseys. 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, emma675 said:

Why does Duggar on the left (I can't tell a lot of the girls apart now) have a picture of dentures across her boobs?

I was wondering the same thing  - what in the high holy heck does Joy have on her shirt?  Jesus' dentures?

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:01 PM, Fuzzysox said:

I did say they can sway to the music since they don't dance. Swaying while side hugging should be ok. lol Oh man, what I would give to be a guest that this wedding! I must find a way! 

That would NOT be OK, because it's dancing...or swaying....for the flesh, and not the spirit.  Tsk tsk.....

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, Lady Edith said:

My biggest question is...how in GOD'S NAME did they send out invitations to all those people and there hasn't been a PEEP dropped by anyone until THIS WEEK?  You would think that getting an invite to a Duggar wedding would be brag-worthy in these circles.  

I cant wait to see the episode!!!!!  I'm dying to see how this all goes down.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 1:39 PM, sometimesy said:

If they had invitations, they were probably sent to a select few. The rest probably heard through the fundy can and string system "Show up so your singles can mingle. Details to follow."

If they're like Jessa's invites, they're Snapfish or Vistaprint specials that look like postcards and were sent out at a bulk rate.  The post office doesn't even have to return any that don't go to the right place, and they make no effort to forward them, so it probably has to be word of mouth.

Adding two things:

1) Who is the bridesmaid in the tan dress?  She was all the way at the right in the one photo I saw. Short, with dark brown hair and glasses.

2)  I am NOT happy that I have to share my anniversary with a Duggar.  I will now whine about it for the next hour or so.  Then send myself to the prayer closet.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Jeremy's in Laredo, which is where Jinger's 'rents visited for the show episode. Laredo is a border town in South Texas, and at 95% Hispanic/Latino, one of the least diverse cities around.

Lubbock is an ag and oil town in the Texas Panhandle,  500 miles northeast of Laredo. Much different demographics.

ETA: This is in response to Albanyguy's post above; sorry for not doing a quote/response format.

yeah - i wondered when i saw lubbock.

21 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I have to share my birthday with Boob and Chelle's wedding anniversary! Blech!

With so many Duggar birthdays & anniversaries, sadly I think many of us may share a special day with one of them.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I have to share my birthday with Boob and Chelle's wedding anniversary! Blech!

23 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

...and I share MY birthday with Jessa's anniversary!

5 minutes ago, ariel said:

With so many Duggar birthdays & anniversaries, sadly I think many of us may share a special day with one of them.

God may be sending me a message. No sharing of any birthdays of my family with the Duggars' special dates and they never picked my first name, a J name, for any of their kids. I just can't figure out what the message is.

Maybe Jeremy could figure it out and share it in a sermon.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

God may be sending me a message. No sharing of any birthdays of my family with the Duggars' special dates and they never picked my first name, a J name, for any of their kids. I just can't figure out what the message is.

LOL! See, I don't even care enough to see if any birthdays/anniversaries are shared with me and mine. I have no "J" name or an "M" name but one sister was named Jeanie and the other Marian. So we don't even share that. Whew.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Only if he can wave his hands around and speak in that nutter voice.  His voice is almost the male version of Michelle.  All soft and whispery...

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2

I fear to click on it, but Jeremy preached at Pa Vuolo's chruch this past Sunday. 

http://www.newlifemd.org/sermons/

Meanwhile, who preaches here? 

GraceChurchLaredo.JPG.0ca3041d1b0c9b61a8ec2bcaa77fb394.JPG

Wow. Jer has risen quickly. Now he's doing guest spots. .... I suppose Pa V figures his new TeeVee Stah may boost his membership.

Is this the Laredo church? ... I assume that the parent church in San Antonio would send over another of their assistants if head honcho (?) Jer isn't there? Jer must have missed at least half the November Sundays there, too, I'm thinking. ... Even the marry-in Duggs seem to be dicey employees.

• Love 4