Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: Oklahoma City Qualifier

• Start Topic

(edited)

NGL I got a good chuckle out of Pekus splashing down. Artis was awesome and deserved a better post-run interview (c'mon Christine, he's not the only person who ran the logs like that).

Logically I know that the older you get the harder it is to do things like this but do they really have to announce the older contestants like "and remember he's 54 just being here is a victory!" "OMG I can't believe it he's the oldest ninja we've ever had." Like, on ANW if you're over 39 it's a miracle you're still alive.

I will say that I always figured Steffenson and Catanzaro would break up and I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Edited by slf
  • Love 3

I will say that I always figured Steffenson and Catanzaro would break up and I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Haven't seen the episode yet, but I have to say, I've never really liked him all that much.  I was really annoyed when he climbed the strut after she made her great run, and made it All About Him, when it was her moment in the sun.

• Love 6

Poor Lance Pekus. First the poor outing on TNW, now the early wipeout. And looks like Mighty Kacy strikes out again. At least she and Brent Steffenson are no longer a couple. That's, like, thirty percent reason to hate her gone. She'll probably pop up in the OKC final because she and Brent are still partners.

And damn, AT3 can do more with one leg and a prosthetic that I can with two healthy limbs.

Is it too soon to start calling Jon Stewart by the "Ageless Wonder" nickname? Nothing against Sam Sann, who is responsible for a ton of top-flight ninjas, but Jon can still gut out a course.

David Campbell and Tremayne Dortch got WWWA treatment. That can't bode well for them in the OKC final. Wasn't Tremayne a TNW captain? "Tre Amigoz," I believe.

The guy with seven daughters . . . we're never gonna see him again. Once he figures out how to get enough money to change his name and face, he is out of there. I'd say that if he had sons sprinkled in there.

Is that a "666" symbol on the rookie penultimate runner? I never saw The Omen. Any version.

• Love 1

I can't imagine trying to do an ANW course with Parkinson's either.  Good Lord.

When Kristine asked the guy with seven daughters what it meant to have them all there, things got a bit sarcastic in the Simply household.  Poorly phrased, Kristine.  (Comments started with "I didn't forget one at WalMart" and went downhill from there.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh man the number of people that faceplanted on the logs made my teeth hurt. Yikes

I have to say I thought Kacy would get to the tire thing at least. I figured with her size the reach on that might be a problem because the way those are positioned are so awkward.

But I thought she'd get through the logs okay with her balance/gymnast background. Still after seeing her go out it made sense that the length between logs would be a problem.

Not gonna lie I'm not exactly surprised about the breakup either. I think I'm more surprised it didn't happen when she finished the finals course in Dallas(?)  and he splashed out in the prelims. Work and training must be tense. Can't imagine what will happen when one of them gets another significant other. Assuming that hasn't happened yet.

And I giggled when Pekus hit the water. Sorry Lance.

The lady (can't remember her name) who competed with Parkinson's made me cry. As a child of a mom with Parkinson's I agree that exercise can certainly help and I think that lady is an inspiration.

AT3 was simply fantastic. I have a feeling one of these days he's going to make it up that warped wall. He's amazing.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 5

I can't believe Lance fell so early.  Do you think he will get a wildcard?  ANW seems to love them some Lance.

AT3 was a total rockstar and I wanted him to get to the end so bad.  Either way, he is an awesome dude and I wish him all the best in life.

I figured with all the hype they did with Kacy for the past week that she was going to make it to the end.  I even said so in another thread. I was shocked when she fell on the logs.  Seriously, my response was "wha...that's it!?!?!"  I wonder if they will give her another wildcard this year.  I really wanted her to succeed because I think she has been put in a bad place being the first woman to make it up the warped wall and then to complete a city final, and then she failed so bad last year.

When they were talking about Brent's run before he went and said something to the effect, "he has had some big changes this past year, we will see if that affects his run", I thought they were going to announce he and Kacy were getting married.  I'm a little shocked when they said they broke up.  I get the feeling she did the breaking up.  I can't believe he failed, AGAIN, this year.  He hasn't been successful for like 4 years now.  Maybe it's time he hang it up.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, butterbean1 said:

When they were talking about Brent's run before he went and said something to the effect, "he has had some big changes this past year, we will see if that affects his run", I thought they were going to announce he and Kacy were getting married.  I'm a little shocked when they said they broke up.  I get the feeling she did the breaking up.  I can't believe he failed, AGAIN, this year.  He hasn't been successful for like 4 years now.  Maybe it's time he hang it up.

Same here with the marriage thing! I was shocked as well. Also thinking she did the breaking. I really thought she was going to make it this year judging from the tone of the commercials, but I guess not.

AT3 getting the (well deserved) standing ovation gave me goosebumps. I was bummed for Sam Sann, did anyone else notice that he had a really strange look in his eye and weird tense expression the whole time? Something is off there. 

Looking forward to Geoff Britten and Joe Moravsky next week, and especially James "the Beast" McGrath.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SanLynn said:

Oh man the number of people that faceplanted on the logs made my teeth hurt. Yikes

How is it that no one has broken their neck on one of these courses?

1 hour ago, butterbean1 said:

I can't believe Lance fell so early.

Word. I couldn't believe the problems he had with the Ring Swing (which has to be one of the most physically challenging 2nd obstacles ever), but once he got past that I thought he'd go all the way.

• Love 5

So Kacy and Brent break up, yet they are still business partners, still train together, still support each other, and are still friends?  The only difference is that they don't sleep with each other?  Obviously it's personal and they aren't obligated to share their story on national television, but we didn't even get the standard "as time goes by, people change, and we realized we weren't right for each other" standard line.  I wonder what happened.  When they showed Brent and Kacy walking in an open field presumably where they built the gym, it looked like Kacy was holding a baby.  Does she have a child?  I don't recall hearing that anywhere.

So glad the cowboy guy with the ripped chest wearing the plastered on jeans fell early.  I get that his schtick is he's a cowboy.  But wearing jeans to run the course is idiotic.  Guess he at least left the cowboy boots at home.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not familiar with how the wild cards work- can they give them to just anyone or are there requirements?

I hadn't realized there's such an age difference between Steffenson and Catanzaro; he's 35 and she's 26 which means she was at least 23 and him 32 when they hooked up. 

6 hours ago, greyhorse said:

When they showed Brent and Kacy walking in an open field presumably where they built the gym, it looked like Kacy was holding a baby.  Does she have a child?  I don't recall hearing that anywhere.

I went back to check and she was carrying a little white dog.

Brian Burkhardt - the election guy, and omg I hope the show suggested that fake podium - was apparently trying to be the new Drew Dreschel. I was like wtf dude? Slow down. When he jumped for the rope before the tires and just swung wildly back and forth I knew he wasn't going to make it. 

Edited by slf
  • Love 1
(edited)

As far as I know they give wild card spots to whomever they feel like.  I can understand why they give it to certain people, but I'm not a fan of giving it to people who keep failing in prelims.  There's a time to call it a day.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, jcin617 said:

As far as I know they give wild card spots to whomever they feel like.  I can understand why they give it to certain people, but I'm not a fan of giving it to people who keep failing in prelims.  There's a time to call it a day.

Ah, okay, so just anyone can get one. I thought maybe it was like the contestant who just missed the cut-off or something. I agree with you, they shouldn't keep giving them to people who fall in the qualifiers. I'd love to see Kacy make it all the way through some day but not by getting wild cards, for example. She's only 26, she still has time to win this provided she trains more (and differently).

• Love 1

I actually feel bad for Kacy.  I think she was set up to fail.  There has been so much pressure put on her that she has collapsed under it.  I think there are some that are enjoying her failure too.  At this point she can do one of two things;. Shake it off and just run the course to have fun or quit and run her gum as an ex star of ANW.

• Love 2

I actually feel bad for Kacy.  I think she was set up to fail.

While I don't think she personally was specifically set up to fail, it seems to me that the increased difficulty they keep adding to the courses dooms her and anyone her size.   If you don't have the arm span, you don't have it, and no amount of training will elongated your arms or legs.

Seems like the best way to get on the show is to have a sick relative, health issues, or another sob story.  This show is reaching Chopped level of annoyance.  Next we'll hear of someone hoping to win the $ to give his sister a new set of teeth.  (Chopped watchers will know what I mean.) 

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, backgroundnoise said:

While I don't think she personally was specifically set up to fail, it seems to me that the increased difficulty they keep adding to the courses dooms her and anyone her size.   If you don't have the arm span, you don't have it, and no amount of training will elongated your arms or legs.

Seems like the best way to get on the show is to have a sick relative, health issues, or another sob story.  This show is reaching Chopped level of annoyance.  Next we'll hear of someone hoping to win the $ to give his sister a new set of teeth.  (Chopped watchers will know what I mean.) 

Exactly. In the beginning (I used to watch the original Japanese version), no one finished the course and on a rare occasion someone would win it all. The winner, was an ultimate hero and huge star in Japan. Until then, the course stayed the same. Once the early Americans started crushing the course, and started their own version, it has become harder and harder every year. Newcomers more suited to the harder course are now crushing the original winners of the "new" American course as which is still much harder than the Japanese version. Also in the Sasuke, they had different courses for women. Not sure if that is a good idea or not, however, it at least acknowledges that some of the women will have smaller bodies. I think Kacey has done spectacularly well and the problem is that the course has expanded so much that her 5' height is now a major disadvantage. Now the likes of Megan and Jessie (Graff) are the new stars (no coincidence that they are taller). It is unfortunate, as I hate to see any of the women keep getting humiliated as they have to work harder to even compete on the same course, especially Kacey. I hope Jessie goes far.  She is my new favorite. (I like Megan too and the new girl who trains with Flip-I think?)

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 7

Just wondering - am I the only one who would like to see their obstacles be somewhat adjustable?  I got called away as soon as I started this, so I see riverheightsnancy has already kind of addressed this.  For me anyway (and I admit to being height-challenged myself, so I sympathize with the shorter women (and men)), I find it not at all entertaining to watch someone attempt it who is basically doomed from the start.  When the jumping spider is too wide for a short person to ever be able to span, it's not fun for me to watch.  I want to see the competitors have a fighting chance - not be knocked out by something that is just beyond their control.  Kacy might have been able to make it over the logs, but would she have had any kind of real chance on those 'tire' things as far apart as they were?  Some of the shorter men were having trouble, and they were still considerably taller than her.  I know they don't want to make it too easy, but it just seems like some of these obstacles could be set up to be made narrower (or wider for a really tall competitor) so that everyone has a chance, and the outcome is determined by skill and training and not genetics.  The original Japanese version tried to compensate by having different courses.  I wouldn't go that far, but I personally would love to see some obstacles able to be adjusted for height differences.  Maybe it's just not possible.  I don't know.

• Love 8
(edited)

I want to toss in that although height/wingspan are Kacy's most common problems with the way the course is built, her slight weight can work against her too.  Anything that involves a tramp, for example, it will be harder for her to hit the tramp with as much force as a competitor with more mass and harder to get a really good bounce.  (Force = mass x acceleration.  With her smaller mass, she would have to accelerate more to get the same force.)  Anything where ninjas apply body weight to momentum to help move objects (like that square die that they hang from and "roll" along a track) will also be harder. 

Of course, she also has a lower center of gravity and she doesn't have to support 200 pounds by her fingertips in certain obstackes either.  You definitely want to be built lean and between 5'8" and 5'11" to have the optimal build, imo.

This is one reason why I've always liked Dustin McKinney, for the record. He's something like 5'2".

Edited by simplyme
Added my McKinney fondness
  • Love 6

Sometimes I think an adjustable course is a good idea. Then sometimes I think "oh well, if you're not built for it you gotta work harder." It's a tough balance to strike, but I agree that if an obstacle would be physically impossible for a shorter person (like the spider climb) then they should be able to adjust it. Taller competitors have better reach but, as others have said, they have more weight to support. And women are just always going to be at a disadvantage. 

• Love 5
(edited)

One of the reasons I enjoy the show is the women run the same track as the men.  There isn't a "pink track with much easier girly obsticals and therefore not to be taken seriously with a pillow fight at the end" track for the women.   Yes it will be harder and nearly impossible for women like Kacy which is unfortunate but I think I would stop watching if a seperate track was developed for the women.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

Anything that involves a tramp, for example, it will be harder for her to hit the tramp with as much force as a competitor with more mass and harder to get a really good bounce.  (Force = mass x acceleration.  With her smaller mass, she would have to accelerate more to get the same force.)

You've got it backwards.  It is easier for lighter competitors.  Lighter people don't need the same force, they need less force because they are lighter.   Generally speaking, lighter people have better power to weight ratios than heavier ones.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

One of the reasons I enjoy the show is the women run the same track as the men.  There isn't a "pink track with much easier girly obsticals and therefore not to be taken seriously with a pillow fight at the end" track for the women.   Yes it will be harder and nearly impossible for women like Kacy which is unfortunate but I think I would stop watching if a seperate track was developed for the women.

I agree.  I don't want to see a separate track for the women.  But neither do I want to see the majority of women unable to have any decent kind of chance because the obstacles are all geared towards big men.  For m someone should fail the jumping spider because they lack the skill and strength to climb it - not because even with their arms and legs spread as far as possible, it's too wide for them to be able to grip.  When most men can reach from one object to the next but a woman would have to launch herself through space, to me it's not a "fair" contest.  And I really don't care whether they moved the obstacles further apart so the men had to launch themselves through space or moved them closer together so most women could reach - just give everyone a chance.  What I really don't know if how those things are made to know whether it would even be possible for them to be adjustable.  Maybe it's not.  But I'm thinking it might be possible since these are not permanent obstacles but are taken up and down and moved around.

• Love 5

Do competitors know what the obstacles will be when they sign up to participate in a particular city?  I'm guessing they don't know and it's random.  I thought this week in Oklahoma was way harder than last week.  I agree that Kacy is at a disadvantage only being 5 feet tall.  She even said the first two obstacles were tough.  Those platform jumps in the beginning is supposed to be a gimme, but to hear her say that was difficult is surprising.  And then the ring thing where she had to reach up and hook it obviously puts her at a disadvantage.  Can't help but wonder if she would have chosen a different city if she had known.  

I'm also curious if the competitors get any chance to practice on the course.  Surely they must, right?

This is the perfect summer show, if not a bit repetitive after a while.  I find it curious that it seems like some people devote significant personal time to training for this competition and make it their life's mission.  That guy that built the entire jungle gym in his backyard and the wife saying she's not getting a pool... all sorts of fascinating crazy.  I guess they're all trying to become the next Kacy, but it still doesn't seem like she's swimming in endorsements.  I guess it's just a hobby and something to do.

• Love 3

All of these obstacles are definitely adjustable. I think they should be adjusted too. If they don't want to narrow the gap on the jumping spider for the women, fine, but at least widen it for when the men jump. Don't want to lower the wall for the shorties? Okay. But at least raise it for the taller contestants. I'm getting tired of watching slight 5'4 and under women do these obstacles and then turn around and pretend it's equally impressive when taller and/or better built men do them when it's generally, though not always, less so.

• Love 7

Are you talking about the body prop? I recall a taller contestant doing that one and he was slightly... tented. They didn't adjust it that I recall.

Brent looked very gaunt to me tonight.  This course seemed especially difficult.  Of course, I think I say that every week.  

Seems like the best way to get on the show is to have a sick relative, health issues, or another sob story.  This show is reaching Chopped level of annoyance.  Next we'll hear of someone hoping to win the $ to give his sister a new set of teeth.  

THis is why I watch it DVR'd...FFWD through all that stuff and do it in 50 minutes.  

• Love 3

At the very least, they should have women and short men field-test the course to make sure it's possible.  I'd also like to see some obstacles that favor women - maybe something with more balance or flexibility - or rewards you for being short.  Something where you have to duck or stoop or something.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Morgan of Hed said:

You've got it backwards.  It is easier for lighter competitors.  Lighter people don't need the same force, they need less force because they are lighter.   Generally speaking, lighter people have better power to weight ratios than heavier ones.

Okay.  Started thinking about this more and decided to just do the math.  Curse you.  Turns out we're both wrong.  Assuming a 100 pound Kacy and a 160 pound NinjaX with the same velocity when they hit the tramp, they get the same bounce (disregarding friction, air resistance, etc.  I had to assume straight up rather than a specific trajectory.)

If anyone wants to see my math (because admittedly it's been a loooong time since I took physics and I've been known to make mistakes), feel free to ask.

This site on trampoline physics was helpful for formulas.  (I also converted their weights into mass first.)

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, simplyme said:

Okay.  Started thinking about this more and decided to just do the math.  Curse you.  Turns out we're both wrong.  Assuming a 100 pound Kacy and a 160 pound NinjaX with the same velocity when they hit the tramp, they get the same bounce (disregarding friction, air resistance, etc.  I had to assume straight up rather than a specific trajectory.)

If anyone wants to see my math (because admittedly it's been a loooong time since I took physics and I've been known to make mistakes), feel free to ask.

This site on trampoline physics was helpful for formulas.  (I also converted their weights into mass first.)

LOL Simplyme, It cracks me up that you did the math for that,  you and I would be ninja nerd best friends.

2 hours ago, SophiaD said:

I'd also like to see some obstacles that favor women - maybe something with more balance or flexibility

I wholeheartedly agree! A flexibility obstacle would do a lot for balancing the runs.

• Love 2

Key to success on ANW: Making sure Akbar in the booth doesn't say something about how it's your "year".

Then again Brett Stefensson sucks anyway and Akbar should have realized that.

"Mighty Kacy" went about as predicted.  Look, I feel sorry for her, but I have to say the show itself should stop milking her story. If she competes again they need to simply tuck her into "while you were away" footage, as long as they continue to do that crap anyway.

re: the Pom contest.  Is it really a prize to get to work out with surly arrogant Isaac Caldiero? It sounds more like a punishment. 

• Love 4

I don't understand how they select contestants to feature versus those that get the afterthought treatment.  Like Kacy and Brent have sucked in the last three or four shows and still get featured while consistent folks get 15 sec coverage.

What happened to Paul Kashmir?. He was super consistent and was regularly featured until I guess he pissed off someone high up because he was relegated to the 15 sec during the commercial runs.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Noirprncess said:

I don't understand how they select contestants to feature versus those that get the afterthought treatment.  Like Kacy and Brent have sucked in the last three or four shows and still get featured while consistent folks get 15 sec coverage.

There are going to be several more weeks of Ninja coverage. Kacy probably won't be featured much going forward and maybe Brent won't be featured much as well (especially if he doesn't advance to Vegas). Now they can cover the "afterthought" people in future weeks without us feeling like we're being overdosed on info about them.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, simplyme said:

It's not as simple as that. Leg strength and skill enter into it as well. As you stated before, f=ma or alternately f/m=a.  As generally speaking smaller people have better power to weight ratios (f/m) than bigger ones do, they have more a. 

Especially this season, I noticed that if you get featured, you're much less likely to make it to the finals. I figure they do a number of color/backstory videos on the most prominent competitors, or those with cool stories, but to avoid being repetitive and boring, they're mainly featuring those who don't make.  Exceptions made for the true superstars, like Flip, Meagan or Jessie, who they throw in just because.  I hope we catch up to some of those others in the City Finals.

• Love 2

Paul K is relatively consistent and likely doesn't have a schmoopy story, stupid facial hair, and doesn't act like an idiot.

Speaking of, I'm hoping since they haven't pimped him that it means that the other Morovsky isn't competing this year.  

Did Sam Sann move on?  I like him but I know that if he didn't 'earn' it by placing in the top 30, he probably shouldn't move on just for sentimentality (not that it's ever stopped this show).  

• Love 2

I don't mind that the show features Kacy.  She is, after all, probably one of the contestants that put this show on the map.  Sure, there are diehard fans, but you can bet that a lot more people have tuned in to watch because they saw her YouTube video or some Yahoo coverage.  Kacy is one of the show's stars, so that's why she gets the treatment.

I think there needs to be separate men's and women's courses, or as suggested, at least make some adjustments for the female competitors.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I don't mind that the show features Kacy.  She is, after all, probably one of the contestants that put this show on the map.  Sure, there are diehard fans, but you can bet that a lot more people have tuned in to watch because they saw her YouTube video or some Yahoo coverage.  Kacy is one of the show's stars, so that's why she gets the treatment.

I think there needs to be separate men's and women's courses, or as suggested, at least make some adjustments for the female competitors.

I'm saying it's actually unfair to HER. She's put in this pressure position year after year now because the show won't do anything other than talk up her situation. Rather than being handled in a matter of fact way (or simply not being shown if there's nothing to see) the show now focuses on her series of failures.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I'm saying it's actually unfair to HER. She's put in this pressure position year after year now because the show won't do anything other than talk up her situation. Rather than being handled in a matter of fact way (or simply not being shown if there's nothing to see) the show now focuses on her series of failures.

Agreed, but we also have to keep in mind that a lot of this pumping up of the contestant is done purely in editing.  "The run that America is waiting for is finally coming up..."   On competition day?  The announcers probably rev up the crowd by announcing her, the crowd cheers because they know who she is, she runs and fails, and then gets a postrace interview like probably most of them do.  Any pressure that is on her likely comes from within and not due to the show.

My mom called me from work today so excited, "That guy from that show you watch? The ninjas? Thomas Doo-wight? He was here! I told him 'you look like that green-haired guy from the ninja show and his wife laughed!" Turns out he was actually a contestant on ANW, Thomas Doweidt, whose run was only briefly shown and he advanced to city finals. I can't believe she recognized him because she barely watches the show; I had no idea who she was talking about. Still don't but she was so excited she got to meet a ninja.

Well here's hoping North Texas local Thomas Doweidt does well and good for him for having a sense of humor about my mom thinking he was someone else and not getting all pissy about it.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, slf said:

Well here's hoping North Texas local Thomas Doweidt does well and good for him for having a sense of humor about my mom thinking he was someone else and not getting all pissy about it.

Good for him!  Also good for your mom.  She sounds a bit like my dad, who once called me to remind me that "the new Ninja Turtle show was on." It took me a good two or three minutes to figure out he meant the new season of ANW was starting, but I appreciated (and was amused by) it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

Good for him!  Also good for your mom.  She sounds a bit like my dad, who once called me to remind me that "the new Ninja Turtle show was on." It took me a good two or three minutes to figure out he meant the new season of ANW was starting, but I appreciated (and was amused by) it.

Aw, I love that! Your dad sounds awesome.

On 6/22/2016 at 11:08 AM, VartanFan said:

Paul K is relatively consistent and likely doesn't have a schmoopy story, stupid facial hair, and doesn't act like an idiot.

Actually, Paul K used to have a kind of schmoopy story - his girlfriend and father fell from a cliff during one of their hikes and died.  It happened like a week before one of the seasons or something like that.  He used to wear a ribbon on his back in remembrance of her during his runs.

• Love 1