Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, ChelseaNH said:

The point is, there's more than one flavor of monarchy.  Does Wakanda have a legislative or judicial branch?  We don't know.  There's also more than one layer of government.  We don't know how Wakanda is structured between the town/city level and the national level; it could be county/state or it could be organized by tribe.

When the US was established, the convention was that only white, male property owners could vote.  (It's just that land was so readily available in America, the proportion of the population that could vote was substantially higher.)  Is that more or less representative than, say, a monarchy where every adult can vote for a king's council member?

I wish that the movie had shown what the people in Wakanda  feel about all of the changes that  had occurred in their country in such a short time.  Do the people want to maintain the status quo or do they want T'Challa to engage with the outside and if they do, to what extent.. Are the people of Wakanda allowed to leave the country?  In most closed societies, the people are not allowed to leave, unless, you are in the Government. I do think that Wakanda is an absolute monarchy.  In the wrong hands, like Killmonger, it would be an authoritarian government. He killed Zuri and he was not held accountable.  I assume that Zuri was beloved in the country, due to his status, as shaman. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1

I don't think the wakandans are prevented from leaving the country. I think, and this is only my theory I have no evidence to back it up, the children are simply taught from birth why their country hides from the outside world. And the problems that would come from revealing it. The ones that still want to go are probably very well briefed on what they can and can't say and I probably recruited as the War Dog spies working abroad. Nakia was clearly out of the country when we met her and N'Jobu had been sent to San Francisco.

• Love 4
(edited)
23 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

I don't think the wakandans are prevented from leaving the country. I think, and this is only my theory I have no evidence to back it up, the children are simply taught from birth why their country hides from the outside world. And the problems that would come from revealing it. The ones that still want to go are probably very well briefed on what they can and can't say and I probably recruited as the War Dog spies working abroad. Nakia was clearly out of the country when we met her and N'Jobu had been sent to San Francisco.

That sounds plausible.  I also think that they would probably not have any real reason to leave the country, indefinitely.   I get the impression that the Wakadans are fiercely loyal to their country and to their king.  Zuri had no problems alerting his king, about N'Jobu's plans..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 6:56 PM, Katsullivan said:

Dammit, Killmonger.

I really hope that it's revealed that the herb can be regrown because this would be really horrible. (Not the Challenge bit, but just the extinction of the Herb).

The whole Black Panther/heart-shaped herb champion-king system was apparently set up by a still extant Egyptian god, so I'd imagine that if Bast wants the tradition to continue she can just make more of the heart-shaped herb.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

The whole Black Panther/heart-shaped herb champion-king system was apparently set up by a still extant Egyptian god, so I'd imagine that if Bast wants the tradition to continue she can just make more of the heart-shaped herb.

I got a chuckle when Shuri was driving T'Challa on that bridge and he reprimanded her, by saying, for Bast sakes, just drive... lol I loved it because it reinforced that they as Africans, were not colonized, by Europeans, so, they were able to practice their religion, unmolested...I wish that we had seen more of Bast's influence in Wakanda.. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
On 4/6/2018 at 2:31 AM, Dandesun said:

It's still the King who decides that Wakanda will do. King T'Chaka decided that Wakanda would start to be a part of the world again, King T'Challa decided to continue that... and King Eric decided to ship weapons to the war dogs. There was no vote for any of these from what we've seen. The king may be given advice against his wishes but it still lands on him to make that decision.

There wouldn't be a vote if POTUS, e.g decided to start doing it either. would there? Shipping guns to the War Dogs, I mean. In fact Eric's proof that they do that today already in a way.

2 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

There wouldn't be a vote if POTUS, e.g decided to start doing it either. would there? Shipping guns to the War Dogs, I mean. In fact Eric's proof that they do that today already in a way.

If there wasn't a vote and the Secretaries of State and defense went along with it that still doesn't mean C-17s full of weapons start rolling down the runways as the rest of the world would know from the leak to FOX/CNN before the aircrews mounted their planes.

9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I don't care how many Avengers are in Infinity War. I'm going to consider it Black Panther 1.5.

Better that than Iron Man 6. (Yeah still bitter over Cap3)

• Love 7
(edited)
24 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I don't care how many Avengers are in Infinity War. I'm going to consider it Black Panther 1.5.

Same here. I am loving the call and response chant, between T'Challa and his people.  It gives me life.. Wakanda is finally unified under his rule.  He will be a great King, making his own way.   It is bittersweet that W'kabi is not there..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Same here. I am loving the call and response chant, between T'Challa and his people.  It gives me life.. Wakanda is finally unified under his rule.  He will be a great King, making his own way.   It is bittersweet that W'kabi is not there..

If he doesn't destroy Wakanda first, by sacrificing Wakanda resources and Wakanda lives to protect the whole world. 

If I were Wakandan, I'dbe feeling mighty pissed off at King T'Challa right about now.

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

If he doesn't destroy Wakanda first, by sacrificing Wakanda resources and Wakanda lives to protect the whole world. 

If I were Wakandan, I'dbe feeling mighty pissed off at King T'Challa right about now.

I think that there will be fallout, for T'challa, in Black Panther 2, if Wakandan lives, are lost, due to Thanos' invasion, in Infinity.  To be fair, we don't know why he will open up the borders like that.  I think T'Challa is  overcompensating a bit for the sins of his father. His father's actions towards N'Jobu created Killmonger.  T'Challa is forgetting that N'Jobu betrayed Wakanda.  As a Prince, he had options, but, he chose to align himself with Klaue.  We never really got information on how N'Jobu met Klaue and what was the final straw  that made him betray his country. Did something happen to Erik's mom?  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Katsullivan said:

If Thanos destroys the whole world, though, Wakanda will be destroyed as well, and everyone in Wakanda will die. I'm pretty sure if I was Wakandan, I'd be mighty pissed at T'Challa for letting that happen. (From the afterlife, of course, because I'd be dead.)

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 11

@stealinghome . . . T'Challa is always prepared. In the comic series, when Ross was acting as regent (long story), he found Wakanda's contingency plans in case Galactus attacked again. That's Galactus, the Devourer Of Worlds.

Watching SNL. Chadwick covers the movie in the monologue, and the following skit is based off the movie.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, stealinghome said:

If Thanos destroys the whole world, though, Wakanda will be destroyed as well, and everyone in Wakanda will die. I'm pretty sure if I was Wakandan, I'd be mighty pissed at T'Challa for letting that happen. (From the afterlife, of course, because I'd be dead.)

Yeah, the argument with Peter Quill and Rocket comes to mind.

Rocket: What's the galaxy ever done for you? Why would you wanna save it?

Peter Quill: Because I'm one of the idiots who lives in it.

I don't see it as any more complicated than that when it comes to Wakanda getting involved in the fight against Thanos. I can see, assuming they are successful at repelling Thanos, Wakandans being pissed that their country was disproportionately impacted by Thanos' attack. How T'Challa proceeds is a real question because unless he chooses to share more of their technological advances then this will always be the case when a world ending event occurs. 

• Love 6

I think I might all come down to how much choice they had in Thanoses location of attack. Something tells me the traditional wakandan border guards aren't going to stop the Mad Titan if he wants to come in. They may be fighting him there because that is where he has headed and it has nothing to do with T'Challa opening the borders.

• Love 4
On April 4, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Katsullivan said:

Dammit, Killmonger.

I really hope that it's revealed that the herb can be regrown because this would be really horrible. (Not the Challenge bit, but just the extinction of the Herb).

Seriously, that was a dick move on Kilmonger's part. And a dumbass move as well. The herb doesn't make you immortal, so who is going to be Black Panther and keep Wakanda in power when you die?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I think I might all come down to how much choice they had in Thanoses location of attack. Something tells me the traditional wakandan border guards aren't going to stop the Mad Titan if he wants to come in. They may be fighting him there because that is where he has headed and it has nothing to do with T'Challa opening the borders.

I just figured that the Wakandan cloak would be penetrated easily by a space faring race. As such Thanos doesn't act like a guerilla warrior going for a weak spot. You take out the most powerful opposition first.

6 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously, that was a dick move on Kilmonger's part. And a dumbass move as well. The herb doesn't make you immortal, so who is going to be Black Panther and keep Wakanda in power when you die?

The nation's power was not in the existence of one super soldier, even if the Red Skull thought so in The First Avenger. If push came to shove I guess they could have broken tradition and field companies of Black Panther armored and enhanced troops

Edited by Raja
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't think Killmonger truly thought about, or gave a crap about, anything beyond his own death, tbh.

I just figured that the Wakandan cloak would be penetrated easily by a space faring race. As such Thanos doesn't act like a guerilla warrior going for a weak spot. You take out the most powerful opposition first.

Also, we DO see New York City getting hit in the promos. It's not like it's only Wakanda. That said, I agree that Thanos & co. are likely targeting Wakanda for a specific reason, either because they know it's the most advanced country on the planet and want to take it out immedinately, or because it's hiding an Infinity Stone.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

That said, I agree that Thanos & co. are likely targeting Wakanda for a specific reason, either because they know it's the most advanced country on the planet and want to take it out immedinately, or because it's hiding an Infinity Stone.

Pure speculation,

Spoiler

When T'Challa says that they don't fight for one life they fight for all of them in the Chant trailer, I think he's referring to The Vision. Who is part of the crew Cap brings to Wakanda and who also has an Infinity Stone embedded in his forehead.

3 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I don't think Killmonger truly thought about, or gave a crap about, anything beyond his own death, tbh.

Yup. That's why I'm not as sympathetic to his character as others are. All that talk about fighting the oppressors aside, he just wanted power for himself. Revenge was just a bonus.

• Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:29 PM, xaxat said:

OT, but this also took me to Hawkeye disappoints the Avengers from SNL which a) made me laugh, and b) made me say oh yes!

Back on topic, I liked this trailer too.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:02 AM, stealinghome said:

Agreed.  When Thanos wants to wipe out half of the Earth's population, it's all hands on deck time.   The battle against Thanos shouldn't have to do with whether or not Wakandans want their borders to be open.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, benteen said:

Agreed.  When Thanos wants to wipe out half of the Earth's population, it's all hands on deck time.   The battle against Thanos shouldn't have to do with whether or not Wakandans want their borders to be open.

Politics ain't about what should be. Just as a leader supported a rebellion because his parents were avenged someone will step forwardto say when we were hidden this stuff didn't happen to us. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Raja said:

Politics ain't about what should be. Just as a leader supported a rebellion because his parents were avenged someone will step forwardto say when we were hidden this stuff didn't happen to us. 

If T'Challa becomes too preoccupied with the events of infinity and the next Avengers movies in 2019, that could push a Wakandan, to stoke the fires of resentment, to undermine T'Challa. Especially, if a lot of lives were lost in Wakanda, during, Thanos' invasion. It will be interesting to see him deal with that type of conflict from inside his country. I don't see him behaving like a dictator towards dissidents. Plus, we still don't know how he dealt with W'Kabi's betrayal.

Immigrants will also now be welcome into the country. How will the people react to them. They may not be so welcoming.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

So let me share something with y'all that's really been bothering me for the past few days. 

I'm walking thru the Target home goods section last Saturday and pass one of their Clearance end caps that had a bunch of kids bedding on sale.  I stop to browse hoping that I might see a set of Black Panther sheets or a plush blanket for my son . . . nope.  Fair enough.  The film is still raking in tons of money so the Black Panther bedding must still be full price.  Ummmmmm....wait.  There is NO Black Panther bedding.  Plenty of Super, Spider, Iron and Bat Men choices though.  So now, I head to the Boys section to see if I can find him a Black Panther tshirt or hoodie.  Again, absolutely nothing!

A quick search on Amazon and Google yields almost no Black Panther merchandise that wasn't offered by Etsy stores.

WTF??  Seriously.  When a movie is a blockbuster, you can't throw a rock without hitting a lunchbox, a tshirt...Anything that will make the studio more money.  How many years later are we still tripping over Frozen merchandise?   But this particular movie warrants none of the same marketing attention?  No McDonalds or Burger King Happy Meal giveaways?  Not even a stinking tshirt in Target?! 

I hope I'm being paranoid but I don't think so.  I feel it's a deliberate attempt to keep the success of this film (and its impact to society-at-large) muted.  And it makes me incredibly stabby.

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
Spelling
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

So let me share something with y'all that's really been bothering me for the past few days. 

I'm walking thru the Target home goods section last Saturday and pass one of their Clearance end caps that had a bunch of kids bedding on sale.  I stop to browse hoping that I might see a set of Black Panther sheets or a plush blanket for my son . . . nope.  Fair enough.  The film is still raking in tons of money so the Black Panther bedding must still be full price.  Ummmmmm....wait.  There is NO Black Panther bedding.  Plenty of Super, Spider, Iron and Bat Men choices though.  So now, I head to the Boys section to see if I can find him a Black Panther tshirt or hoodie.  Again, absolutely nothing!

A quick search on Amazon and Google yields almost no Black Panther merchandise that wasn't offered by Etsy stores.

WTF??  Seriously.  When a movie is a blockbuster, you can't throw a rock without hitting a lunchbox, a tshirt...Anything that will make the studio more money.  How many years later are we still tripping over Frozen merchandise?   But this particular movie warrants none of the same marketing attention?  No McDonalds or Burger King Happy Meal giveaways?  Not even a stinking tshirt in Target?! 

I hope I'm being paranoid but I don't think so.  I feel it's a deliberate attempt to keep the success of this film (and its impact to society-at-large) muted.  And it makes me incredibly stabby.

Disney wasn't sure how the film would do so they were very conservative with merchandising. The film doing so well completely blindsided them. They thought it would be successful, but not this successful. My parents, who are in their very late 70s and have never seen a Marvel film, saw Black Panther. This phenomenon was a shock to Disney and unfortunately the toy business needs a 3 to 4 month lead.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/08/theres-an-embarrassing-shortage-of-black-panther-toys/

https://www.thewrap.com/black-panther-toy-shortage-blindsides-hasbro/

A less extreme example is Disney not anticipating the popularity of Baby Groot at the end of Guardians 1. Everyone wanted a dancing Baby Groot. It's not even like it's a complicated design. We've had other "dancing" toys. Groot's design is highly stylized. But, it took Disney months to get those toys together after the film was released.

• Love 7

Thanks for the links and the research, HunterHunted.  I guess I'm still giving Disney a serious side-eye because if they had bothered to pay attention to the ticket pre-sales, I think they should've had a clue and been prepared.  And I would've been more accepting of the idea that they created limited merchandise offerings until they got the full scope of popularity.  But having nothing ready?  Side-eye all day.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

17 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Thanks for the links and the research, HunterHunted.  I guess I'm still giving Disney a serious side-eye because if they had bothered to pay attention to the ticket pre-sales, I think they should've had a clue and been prepared.  And I would've been more accepting of the idea that they created limited merchandise offerings until they got the full scope of popularity.  But having nothing ready?  Side-eye all day.

Let me join you in that side-eye. Disney is a money-making business. They'd have put something out, even if they weren't going to keep pushing it in the market. So yes it is an attempt to mute the success of this film. 

• Love 2

In the Dancing Baby Groot example I provided, Guardians came out August 1, 2014. Disney never anticipated that it would be a hot toy. They got a working model/prototype to share with the media sometime in October, but the actual toy didn't start shipping to stores until late November. 

https://gizmodo.com/the-5-best-groot-toys-on-sale-and-5-fan-made-ones-that-1630095915

http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/dancing-baby-groot-toy.html

http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/why-the-dancing-baby-groot-toy-has-taken-so-long.html

1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

While the ticket presales should have clued them in that Black Panther was going to be a bigger hit than they anticipated, I almost wonder if Infinity War coming right on the heels of Black Panther was the actual merchandise impediment. Even if Disney had readjusted their merchandising strategy for Black Panther once they saw the ticket presales, that would mean that those toys would be hitting the shelves right about now when the stores should be stocking up on Infinity War merchandise. It means that Black Panther toys and merch were always going to be shortchanged even if Disney had been on top of their game. I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to mute the impact of Black Panther, but a calculated choice to gamble on the film that was the likelier bigger money maker.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/04/10/box-office-black-panther-falls-below-1-million-on-its-53rd-day/#7cb8615e710c

I think the big test for Disney, regarding Black Panther, is how many Black Panther Halloween costumes they'll have ready in September.

4 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I’m surprised they didnt make enough considering the whole debacle with Rey and the lack of Females on the Star Wars merchandise. Even Leia didn’t make the cut.  After The Force Awakens I was hunting for any female Star Wars shirt for myself and my nieces. Nada. After the mini-uproar, I can find Star Wars shirts with females on them, at least in kids size for my nieces.

I’ve been disappointed in the lack of Black Panther Merchandise too. I want a Black Panther shirt with the ladies on it. Although I have seen Black Panther Dolls being held by little boys when I’ve been out and about. I was waiting to get my nails done and this little boy was sitting in the waiting area fighting invisible bad guys with his. Something as simple as a young boy playing with a doll definitely caused me to tear up. 

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I think the big test for Disney, regarding Black Panther, is how many Black Panther Halloween costumes they'll have ready in September

Funny story.  My son was Black Panther for Halloween 2 years ago (2016) on the strength of Captain America Civil War.  After seeing that, my kid just had to be Black Panther.  I was a little worried that I wouldn't find a costume since he was just a secondary character in Civil War but Amazon had it.  You wouldn't believe how many homeowners mistakenly called him "Batman.". 

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

It  is really pissing me off that they keep trying to downplay Black Panther's success.   They are also hoping that Infinity will outshine Black Panther.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6
On 4/10/2018 at 1:35 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

When I looked early on, the only things that I could find were three Black Panther lego sets which to my surprise had Nakia and Okoye and there were several Black Panther books and comics.  Honestly, I just think that Disney and the corporations that make its entertainment products just didn't anticipate that Black Panther would be such a hit so they didn't bother.

On 4/10/2018 at 5:18 PM, HunterHunted said:

I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to mute the impact of Black Panther, but a calculated choice to gamble on the film that was the likelier bigger money maker.

I suspect that you are right. We will probably see lots of Black Panther toys and merchandise bundled in with Avengers Infinity War.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I’m surprised they didnt make enough considering the whole debacle with Rey and the lack of Females on the Star Wars merchandise. Even Leia didn’t make the cut.  After The Force Awakens I was hunting for any female Star Wars shirt for myself and my nieces. Nada. After the mini-uproar, I can find Star Wars shirts with females on them, at least in kids size for my nieces.

I’ve been disappointed in the lack of Black Panther Merchandise too. I want a Black Panther shirt with the ladies on it. Although I have seen Black Panther Dolls being held by little boys when I’ve been out and about. I was waiting to get my nails done and this little boy was sitting in the waiting area fighting invisible bad guys with his. Something as simple as a young boy playing with a doll definitely caused me to tear up. 

This is the company that was blind sided by the success of a princess movie. They were constantly out of oFrozen toys/dolls for months after the movie's release. I'm not surprised they missed the boat on this one too, but to be fair to Disney they do sell quite a bit of merch on their own Disney site.

• Love 4

I hope that in the future that they release a director's cut of the movie.  I am pretty sure that there were a lot of good scenes left on the cutting room floor.  

I feel that the movie should have shown more of Wakanda, the every day people and  how T'Challa interacts with them.

• Love 1
On 4/14/2018 at 9:17 AM, mary2013 said:

FWIW, Disney recently restructured it's corporate reporting structure related to it's Consumer Products division.  Consumer Products has been a disappointment for a while. 

This sounds hopeful and I rather hope it is. For a giant money making conglomerate they seem to have seriously missed the boat several times within the last five years. More than that, really, since they did absolutely nothing for Agent Carter. I've gone to Redbubble for things that have female characters on them and whenever I wear them to Disneyland I'd get asked about where I got them. Cast members, in particular, wanted to know where I got my Agent Carter and my Black Widow shirts. The people working the parks know a lot more than the alleged marketing experts.

I'm going to Disney World next month and will be very interested in seeing what sort of merch they have available that's Marvel oriented because Infinity War will have just been released.

• Love 2
On 4/12/2018 at 11:36 AM, Apprentice79 said:

I hope that in the future that they release a director's cut of the movie.  I am pretty sure that there were a lot of good scenes left on the cutting room floor.

I was at the WizardWorld Portland con this past weekend and Sebastian Stan made a comment that he thought that they might have plans (yeah, hedging a lot, but he seemed confident that is at least being discussed) of releasing all the deleted scenes from all the movies eventually, probably in some sort of collectors DVD set, or something... so even if they don't do a director's cut, we might still be able to see those scenes eventually (the end credit scene with Bucky was actually another 8 minutes longer, much more Q&A with Shuri, playing with the kids, hanging with the elders).  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

I was at the WizardWorld Portland con this past weekend and Sebastian Stan made a comment that he thought that they might have plans (yeah, hedging a lot, but he seemed confident that is at least being discussed) of releasing all the deleted scenes from all the movies eventually, probably in some sort of collectors DVD set, or something... so even if they don't do a director's cut, we might still be able to see those scenes eventually.  

Cool, I am sure that some of those deleted scenes would explain W'Kabi's  nonsensical devotion to Erik and trying to kill T'Challa, after his return, when he was still the King. The challenge was ongoing.   It still does not make any sense to me and it hurts W'Kabi's viability, as a character. That was the weakest plot in the movie.   I also want to see the scenes when T'Challa takes back the throne with M'Baku present, uniting the 5 tribes under his rule.. It was obviously cut.. The actor who plays Bucky said that his scenes were cut down from the movie, as well.  He had an 8 minute scene with Shuri at the end, where he interacted with the Wakandan people. It would have been cool to see.

Edited by Apprentice79

Yeah, I just posted a link to his panel in the Avengers topic, if anyone wants to see what he said about the deleted scenes (I think it was about half way through, but I'm not positive... the whole things was hilarious though).  

• Love 1