Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Another Courtship?

Jim Bob and Michelle have found a possible mate for another one of their daughters, to court with. The children plan a surprise for their parents. Anna has her hands full, now that she has three kids to take of.

Jill's "I'm in love with someone I've never met" statement has pre-teen in love with her tv teen idol written all over it. At 13 yrs old, if my teen idol had asked me to run away with him and get married, would I have gone? Heck, YEAH... my bedroom was "wallpapered" with pics from Tiger Beat and 16 Magazine of him. It's so sad that these girls are not acting like 20somethings at all.

The way Anna speaks to her kids make me want to poke my eardrums out. I call total bs that the kiddies are missing grandpa and grandpa. Thank you Smuggar for reminding the viewers you are far away from your family.  We keep forgetting.

I cannot believe the comment Michelle made about Jessa being too busy now to do her jurisdictions and how it's going to take "somebody else" to cover for her. What a selfish person and lazy to boot...What about, uh,, YOU, Michelle, doing something around the house for a change.

The mini golf scene was disgusting IMO. They act like two children and they are supposed to be the parents? I still can't stomach Jessa and Ben. The boundaries "talk" was awkward and just wasn't natural. Jessa, doesn't really want anything to do with this boy. She seems apprehensive to even hold his hand regardless of what she claims. So utterly stupid. Why is Jessa continuing with this arrangement?

• Love 2
(edited)

Jill's "I'm in love with someone I've never met" statement has pre-teen in love with her tv teen idol written all over it. At 13 yrs old, if my teen idol had asked me to run away with him and get married, would I have gone? Heck, YEAH... my bedroom was "wallpapered" with pics from Tiger Beat and 16 Magazine of him. It's so sad that these girls are not acting like 20somethings at all.

Exactly. The parents act like their daughters are so mature, and that they're now ready to begin a relationship, but if you've NEVER EVER had a date, and never interacted with any boy outside of your family or whoever attends your church, I don't see how you can be anywhere mature enough to know this is the right one to spend your life with instead of maybe just a nice guy you have a crush on because he's looking at you and smiling at you. 

Of course, in their world, divorce probably doesn't happen, and these girls are conditioned from the get-go to submit and obey to what your parents and your religious community expects of you, so they probably would never have enough perspective to really make a good decision. As long as ma and pa find him religious enough, and he doesn't totally turn you off, I guess that guy's going to be your husband.

Edited by FinePoint
  • Love 2

For the first time EVAH, I am going to say something nice about Boob. It looked like he found a guy for Jill that will allow her to live her dream. In fundie speak, Jill does have a heart for the missions and if she finishes her midwifery training, she will be able to bring a needed skill to the missions.

• Love 2

What's with all the Mac laptops?  Product placement or buy used and save the difference??   Jill's potential seems a  bit more genuine that the Bessa set-up.  Anna is a sweet lady, but God help her on the homeschool front.

• Love 1

What's with all the Mac laptops?  Product placement or buy used and save the difference??   Jill's potential seems a  bit more genuine that the Bessa set-up.  Anna is a sweet lady, but God help her on the homeschool front.

I don't think it is product placement; they've had Macs for years for their online homeschooling, from what I remember of past episodes. Many of the older kids are in to photography (Jessa especially?) and maybe they use the Macs for that and video capability.

I don't think it is product placement; they've had Macs for years for their online homeschooling, from what I remember of past episodes. Many of the older kids are in to photography (Jessa especially?) and maybe they use the Macs for that and video capability.

I think I remember hearing that they liked the parental controls on Macs better? But maybe it does have extra uses for the video tech.

Maybe Cousin Amy was the source for modern slang like "bromance" (has Cousin Amy disappeared?). Back to the idiotic so-called parents at mini-golf.  I noted the little pop-up that appeared while JimBob and Michelle were taunting the young couple about taboo behavior before getting married (the pop-up mentioned that they held hands before getting married).  It reminded me of something J & M talked about in some interview a while back in which Jim Bob remembered the first time he saw Michelle she was watering her family's front lawn wearing a bikini. Their behavior is getting worse and worse each season with Jim Bob unable to keep his hands off Michelle. Their children behave more maturely on camera than the parents.

Whoops - just read in another thread that Cousin Amy has moved to Nashville to start her singing career.  Good for her! (yet I hope she'll stay in touch with her slave cousins back at the compound--she seems to be their connection to the outside world).

Edited by annzeepark914

Re: the way the parentals SAY that the courting couple is allowed to set their own boundaries, yet when they quiz them about it, there is an implied assumption the kids will say the 'right' answer such as no kissing, no hand holding. Since last I checked, it is NOT sexual intercourse to hold hands, and 22 year olds can kind of do whatever they want, what would the parents say if Jessa had said,yeah,we will hold hands starting now, and grabbed old Bin's hand? Would the kids have to get reindoctrinated? Would they have to make an argument as to why hand holding is 'necessary'? What about kissing? What if Jill says, we decided to kiss now. Because you and Mom kissed before marriage and you've been married blissfully happy and had 19 kids and are the best Christians of all time so we know it won't hurt us! And start kissing in front of JimBob and Michelle? Turn about is fair play...

Edited by zebra2013
  • Love 3

A true chaperone would not need to be inbetween the couple in a car seat, or follow them around a minitature golf course.  Since the purpose of a chaperone is to make sure they don't 'inappropriately touch', you can do that from across the room, anywhere in site of the 18 holes, or in the passenger seat, with your daughter next to her boyfriend.   You can be in the same room as the Skype session (to ensure no 'sexting'), but you don't need to be two feet away.  The truth is the Duggars are afriaid that the couple might actually discuss what they want in a marriage, and it might not match the Duggar 19 kid, report to Dad even after marriage, always wear skirts philosophy,  Between having Dad screen the guy, and this constant supervision, it's all rigged to make sure the offspring never breaks off the leash.  It's all geared to making sure the offspring stay well within the belief system from cradle to grave. 

• Love 3

Maybe Cousin Amy was the source for modern slang like "bromance" (has Cousin Amy disappeared?).

I think so, or else I was thinking the TLC crew might have joked with the kids or at least been overheard by the kids. They are pretty familiar with the Duggars, as I think it's been the same guys for quite a few seasons now, and I'm sure the camera guy, sound guy, field producer, and whoever else all engage in some kind of small talk with the kids all day during filming time.

I wonder if the no hand holding is in response to the remarks made when Anna and Josh were courting. Many people thought their hand holding went overboard and was almost obscene. It was the focus of many long views if I recall.

A true chaperone would not need to be inbetween the couple in a car seat, or follow them around a minitature golf course.  Since the purpose of a chaperone is to make sure they don't 'inappropriately touch', you can do that from across the room, anywhere in site of the 18 holes, or in the passenger seat, with your daughter next to her boyfriend.   You can be in the same room as the Skype session (to ensure no 'sexting'), but you don't need to be two feet away.  The truth is the Duggars are afriaid that the couple might actually discuss what they want in a marriage, and it might not match the Duggar 19 kid, report to Dad even after marriage, always wear skirts philosophy,  Between having Dad screen the guy, and this constant supervision, it's all rigged to make sure the offspring never breaks off the leash.  It's all geared to making sure the offspring stay well within the belief system from cradle to grave. 

That's a question I have asked many times:  How are they supposed to openly discuss the future of their relationship and possible marriage if they cannot be honest with each other?  This is even more shocking in my mind than the "no touching rule."  Jill is what? 23 and Derick 25?  And they are not allowed to talk or skype without having every word monitored?  Shades of Big Brother and North Korea.  This should be the time when they talk about things like how large a family they want, where they want to live, how they see their future, but if JB and Michelle are hanging on every word then, no, they cannot be completely honest because they have to be in 100% coompliance with whatever JB and Michelle have decided their opinions should be.  How creepy.  Stepford Children indeed.

• Love 1

The parents said they allow their daughter one hour of private talk on the phone with Derrick. What the heck?? Jill is 23 yrs old... What can they say on the phone to each other..someone is always within earshot in that house there's like 21 of them there...I doubt they are speaking "x" rated to each other..They act like Jill is 13 and has a jr. high "boyfriend" in her life. They need to speak freely with one another about many things that would dictate their personal lives together BEFORE getting engaged and certainly before marriage, but as stated, they really can't say things that are ultra personal to them in front of parents or anyone. Quite frankly, the Duggars believe in no 'feelings' up until they say "I Do'. Then it's sex, 365/yr. How utterly shocking to one's emotional development. These kids, and they both are still kids, need to develop social interaction skills with people their own age, outside of the family first,, you, know, we've said it 100 times, but these stupid, comatose parents just don't think beyond the rules they make up themselves....Also, I have tried so hard, but I can't find a "sidehug" commandment in the bible anywhere! They claim to follow Jesus, not man, but they certainly follow this Gothard guy's interpretation of absolutely everything...Painfully obvious...

• Love 2

If these kids are kept out of the mainstream and no tv or movies how do they know the term "bromance"?

I've been wondering that myself.  Along with quite a few other things I've heard that they really shouldn't know about unless they've had exposure to "heathern" social media, non-fundie young people their ages etc.  Lately I get the feeling that Dim Bulb & MeChelle are far too busy running "corporate Duggarhood" to police every contact coming in and going out of the house.

I watched the movie "the ghost & Mrs. Muir" last night, which came out on 1947. Not only did the young girl hold hands with her boyfriend, she gave him a kiss on the cheek. And ride in a car with him unchaperoned. And they mentioned she was going to university.

1947!

What year is it, JB & Mechelle?

In a recent rerun, they showed the episode in which the Duggars met that very nice surfer girl whose arm was bit off by a shark. Michelle went on to say that they watched the movie that was made about her and her experience. How can that be so? It is a BEACH movie, with SURFERS and SWIMMERS! I'm sure they didn't "black out" most of the photography for them. I would have liked for either the Duggars or TLC to have explained how that was true and how it was done. If they don't watch old proper movies, yes, 1947 ones and Cinderella, in which Prince Charming gives Cinderella a KISS before they were even courting how can they watch a beach movie? Once again, a contradiction that is never addressed and explained.

• Love 1

In a recent rerun, they showed the episode in which the Duggars met that very nice surfer girl whose arm was bit off by a shark. Michelle went on to say that they watched the movie that was made about her and her experience. How can that be so? It is a BEACH movie, with SURFERS and SWIMMERS! I'm sure they didn't "black out" most of the photography for them. I would have liked for either the Duggars or TLC to have explained how that was true and how it was done. If they don't watch old proper movies, yes, 1947 ones and Cinderella, in which Prince Charming gives Cinderella a KISS before they were even courting how can they watch a beach movie? Once again, a contradiction that is never addressed and explained.

And not only are there swim suits in the movie, but Bethany (the surfer girl) and her friend blatantly flirt with a boy! Who isn't even her boyfriend! She better watch out, she's giving away pieces of her heart!

GEML: I have seen that 1947 movie with my mother years ago and I agree with you. Actually, it a beautiful movie and quite sentimental. Remember the TV show in the 1960s that generated from this movie? That was good too, but NIKE, as it showed a widow living on her own without a male superior! There is so much this family misses out on as everything is sinful and ungodly to them that just isn't. The thing that bothers me is how Michelle had the time of her life, probably from birth experiencing Santa Claus and the gifts at Christmas, the joy of different music, dancing, real holidays, the lake, swimming with her family and friends, going to the movies, high school, etc. the list is endless...We really don't hear much about Jim Bob's childhood and teen years experience. I would like to know more about that. If anyone out there went to school with him, or knew him in the neighborhood, please post and let us know what really went down with him as I don't want to assume incorrectly, as they do about us.

What about the great movie It's A Wonderful Life shown every year at Christmas? I doubt they have ever seen that one; for it was the 1920s and Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed dated and went to a school DANCE! Improper, sinful, etc.. of them.. goes to show you how out there these people are that they can't even watch that movie on Christmas Eve. Donna Reed managed to not have a chaperone, dance and keep her purity, didn't she!

But what I think everyone is missing is that Michelle looks back on her childhood and teenage life, she doesn't see fun and friends and happiness, she sees shame and sin and actions that almost caused her to completely lose control and a life that "caused" people like her sister to "choose" to become gay. Oh sure, it all looked fun and innocent, but that's how sin starts out. If it started out dark and ugly and scary, people would know not to do it.

So why doesn't she talk about it like that? Why does she smile when she talks about it? Because this family had been conditioned (and that's the word) to smile if they feel shame or ugliness or fear or anything. It's why Jessa smiles when talking about Jana giving her the music box. Why Michelle smiles when Jim Bob corrects her. Jim Bob smiles when he knows he's being stupid and tried to make a stupid joke. It's why Jana smiles when she's clearly unhappy. They have been taught to portray themselves as such a " happy family" that they now have inappropriate reactions to things.

• Love 4

I would think that a mature person has self control. This family must legislate every breath it takes because it doesn't have any self control or confidence in each other to do the right thing unless someone is watching; which disproves one of their mottos hanging up in the kitchen about "being the person you truly are is when no one is watching". Remember that one? This family doesn't have one true mature person or adult in it besides Grandma Duggar, and I think she makes sure there isn't total chaos because SHE doesn't trust Michelle to know what's what over there...maybe that's why she stays...She owns more property than Jim Bob does, so she doesn't need to be there financially.

• Love 1

What about the great movie It's A Wonderful Life shown every year at Christmas? I doubt they have ever seen that one; for it was the 1920s and Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed dated and went to a school DANCE! Improper, sinful, etc.. of them.. goes to show you how out there these people are that they can't even watch that movie on Christmas Eve. Donna Reed managed to not have a chaperone, dance and keep her purity, didn't she!

Although, in her chaste efforts to avoid a kiss, she did end up disrobed in the bushes...

• Love 2

Bottom line, if Michelle was still a virgin at her wedding like she claims she was, she wasn't a slut nor was she living some horribly sinful life...It's inane of her to think anything different. Jim Bob was her first CAR DATE... so how 'far' could she have gone with those boys she had casual dates with? Not far at all, IMO. She met and fell for Jim Bob when she was 16, so she dated boys in high school and I'm sure they were quite innocent experiences. It's this family who makes anything of a social life before marriage into something smutty and shameful. Their daughters are the worst judges of other girls/women their age, as they lump everyone else into hoaring, trashy people who take drugs, drink to excess, and sleep with anyone. How untrue it is of them to do this. They have created "moral snobs" out of their daughters.

• Love 3

They might been seen as snobs but they are really just terrified of the prospect of doing anything new (to them). If it creates fear, they look down their noses at it, they won't do it. Boob and MEchelle have hobbled their children but hopefully one of them is brave enough to risk having actual fun and have a life.

I do not UNDERSTAND how you can send a 10, 11 year old out to be a 'chaperone'! And, they get PAID!! (I do not know all the boys names because, frankly, they look alike, the 'J'' thingy, lack of personalities, and, well, I am not interested in taking the time in learning them..-the girls are a little easier because there is a divide in the group.. but, again, the younger ones, we do not see a lot of.. ). It is not like the OLDER ones are TOO BUSY to do it-as in 'I have to go to work, I have to study' etc...though the 'girls' do A LOT OF HOUSEWORK in the house..and probably, Jana and Jinger got dumped with A LOT of Jill's and Jessa's duties.. but, still why these younger ones?

Do these younger kids know what is appropriate and not appropriate? OR, is it because they are MORE LIKELY to SNITCH to MOMMY AND DADDY?? As opposed to one of the older ones being more 'understanding' of the couples wanting 'alone time'?  I think so!!

Next, this DOUBLE DATING with mommy and daddy! YUCK! Even worse-Michelle and jimbob doing this kissy kissy -and saying-'we can do this, you can't'-They sound like 2 immature 7 year olds!

I really do wonder HOW MANY OF THEM..really wait to their wedding day to Kiss? Derick, for G*d's Sake is 25!! (We were introduced to his OLDER brother and HIS GF.. I had to wonder if the family were all BGothard follwers or what?)...

I also wonder-these 'boys'(men??) who are married/marrying the DUGGAR girls.. are they really in love with them? Ben, Jessa .. seem so immature.. and with HIM.. I REALLY WONDER.. if he, maybe even DERICK see this 'girls' as STEADY PAYCHECKS? At least for as long as the show lasts? Or, that for someone like Ben, he will have a JOB.. through JimBob?

• Love 2

I think the Duggar girls to some extent live in fear of each other. By that I mean they don't trust their own siblings in what the report to their parents of the other siblings' behavior. It is Jim Bob and Michelle who "encourage" their kids to keep absolutely nothing from them. During these precious "one on one" times together, the parents treat this time as a confessional and their kids must confess everything to them and they tell the kids if these things are "ok" or sinful. They said so themselves on TV in the past. How awful to live like that. I wonder if they have any private time in the bathroom? As it is, they have their sinks and mirrors in the bedroom...anyone notice that? I doubt they have any mirrors in their bathrooms for feat that they would look at themselves...daughters and sons alike. I find that quite perverse. I'll bet that's what's going on there. So, I think these kids don't trust each other, really, they are close only in spouting the party lines and platitudes showing how much they agree and how pure they're keeping themselves. Nonsense.

• Love 1

And not only are there swim suits in the movie, but Bethany (the surfer girl) and her friend blatantly flirt with a boy! Who isn't even her boyfriend! She better watch out, she's giving away pieces of her heart!

Don't worry- she's a happily married now.  It all worked out...

Bethany is currently on The Amazing Race. Their "thing" is the newly-wed Christian couple.  (Well, their thing is she is famous for losing her arm...)

Florida mom- I agree about the fear thing & the kids not trusting one another. Even when Jill picked out her gown, there wasn't the normal banter that is said between sisters - "nah, don't like that one", or "that makes your butt look big". They have to constantly stay sweet & say nothing negative, even in a fun joking way.

And having the kids report everything to Boob & Mullet. I'm sure as adults, we have all told our parents things that we did as children they never knew about. I'm not talking anything major just something like a baseball breaking a cellar window. My mother-in-law almost had heart failure when she found out my husband & brother-in-law climbed out their bedroom windows over their pitched roof from one side of house to the other as teens. But it is drilled in the kids heads to constantly stay sweet & if you don't, be prepared for the prayer closet, Journey to the Heart or Alert.

I think there are mirrors in the girls' room because they came of age in tiny homes and that's what they are used to. I also grew up with three girls in a home with one bath and each of us to this day still does our make-up and hair in our bedrooms although we each own homes with multiple bathrooms.

Not everything has to have a scary meaning behind it! :)

Bottom line, if Michelle was still a virgin at her wedding like she claims she was, she wasn't a slut nor was she living some horribly sinful life...It's inane of her to think anything different. Jim Bob was her first CAR DATE... so how 'far' could she have gone with those boys she had casual dates with? Not far at all, IMO. She met and fell for Jim Bob when she was 16, so she dated boys in high school and I'm sure they were quite innocent experiences. It's this family who makes anything of a social life before marriage into something smutty and shameful. Their daughters are the worst judges of other girls/women their age, as they lump everyone else into hoaring, trashy people who take drugs, drink to excess, and sleep with anyone. How untrue it is of them to do this. They have created "moral snobs" out of their daughters.

Ah, my whoring, trashy drunk days of my 20's are some of my fondest memories! J/k. But it was fun to sow the wild oats then. Mr Jumbo & I have been married for 20 yrs & we both got the craziness out of our systems before we got married.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 3

That's why Jill's courtship got out so fast. One of the little girls said in an interview Jill was seeing someone. That's what happen when you train a child to never keep secrets. And yet I still don't understand this logic. Don't keep secrets but if someone abuses you forgive them and move on.

Edited by Darknight

Well, MrsJumbo, that's why you and MrJumbo will never be a nuclear explosion in your lives. You have had some experience in your youth and were most likely much more qualified and able to make better lifelong decisions. It still remains to be seen with the second generations of this belief system beginning to marry and reproduce as to what the effects of bottled up emotions will bring them down the line. One day, someone will grow up and heaven help them!