Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

So Jack sits down and says " I'm not sure if I've got it all straight but..."   

And in the background we listen to "..and so the story goes"

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

And the whole series was his dream!

I don't think they will go the route of a dream..... but I do think they will have one shocker that is a tear jerker at the end. It's their signature. So what could shock? 

Was the whole series a book Annie had written in the future about her family? Is the final scene of Oprah finishing the book and closing it and telling Gayle she found a new book for her book club? Is there a crossover and Kevin and Randall are on THE WALL? Does Tess audition for X Factor? What? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

I don't think they will go the route of a dream..... but I do think they will have one shocker that is a tear jerker at the end. It's their signature. So what could shock? 

Was the whole series a book Annie had written in the future about her family? Is the final scene of Oprah finishing the book and closing it and telling Gayle she found a new book for her book club? Is there a crossover and Kevin and Randall are on THE WALL? Does Tess audition for X Factor? What? 

Ooo, maybe Annie IS a writer.  That’s why she’s not in the story very much.  It’s her perspective of the family, her observation.  She’d rather take a step back.  Maybe Tess wasn’t really named after a light, but it was Annie thinking so because, well, that box was still in the Pearson home when she was growing up.  Hahahahaha

• Love 3

Dan talked of a movie or special but it will be a new thing. Contracts will have to be done and money I'm sure will be expected to rise. Some might not want to come back depending on their schedules etc. but it wont be the same. I hope they do it though and ends it with a segue to that. Sterling said he didn't want a disaster like Sex and the City return but it always had more depth than that and if they don't wait too long can get most characters to return.

The problem with that is it only can be the young ones since he aged them and killed some in the show. Milo joked he'd still have to be a ghost, they killed off Rebecca and probably Miguel. I could see a 2 hour movie (no commercials, yea!) working but a weekly show would have to be characters they invested in and since again they aged them, it couldn't be present day characters and I'm not sure if the magic would happen twice.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, debraran said:

Dan talked of a movie or special but it will be a new thing. Contracts will have to be done and money I'm sure will be expected to rise. Some might not want to come back depending on their schedules etc. but it wont be the same. I hope they do it though and ends it with a segue to that. Sterling said he didn't want a disaster like Sex and the City return but it always had more depth than that and if they don't wait too long can get most characters to return.

The problem with that is it only can be the young ones since he aged them and killed some in the show. Milo joked he'd still have to be a ghost, they killed off Rebecca and probably Miguel. I could see a 2 hour movie (no commercials, yea!) working but a weekly show would have to be characters they invested in and since again they aged them, it couldn't be present day characters and I'm not sure if the magic would happen twice.

Sounds interesting, but also sounds like quite an ordeal to overcome the challenges of This Is Us Without Jack & Rebecca & Miguel.  Maybe Fogelman & Co. will start fresh with a new show.  He already has a leading lady! 😃 

Who wants to see the show of The Mean Jerks starring Kate Pearson Damon Mean Jerk and Philip, her long-suffering husband?  I think it would be good as a comedy for a few laughs.

This Is Randall would be mildly interesting, just as long as it's not political with President Pearson being in office!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Sounds interesting, but also sounds like quite an ordeal to overcome the challenges of This Is Us Without Jack & Rebecca & Miguel.  Maybe Fogelman & Co. will start fresh with a new show.  He already has a leading lady! 😃 

Who wants to see the show of The Mean Jerks starring Kate Pearson Damon Mean Jerk and Philip, her long-suffering husband?  I think it would be good as a comedy for a few laughs.

This Is Randall would be mildly interesting, just as long as it's not political with President Pearson being in office!

President Pearson will drive Congress, the US and the world mad with his speeches.  Maybe they would bore dictators to death and we’ll achieve world peace. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I don't think Kyle is alive but I think Jack may have a long lost daughter... conceived before he met Rebecca. Maybe she was adopted. The couple that adopted her will be in the final episode playing her very old parents... and the sister (a famous actress doing a cameo) will go to meet her half siblings after Rebecca dies: Randall, Kevin and Kate. It was always THE BIG FOUR. 

The actress would be somebody in her 50s.... Melissa Gilbert. 

• Love 4

The preview strongly implies that there's something going on with Miguel. (Miguel: "It's moving so fast now." Randall, getting the drift: "What is moving so fast." Miguel: "All of it! All of it.") I think Miguel's previously-undisclosed illness will turn out to be the prime reason that Rebecca didn't want to spend time in the drug trial. As well as the reason he predeceases her. 

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Pallas said:

The preview strongly implies that there's something going on with Miguel. (Miguel: "It's moving so fast now." Randall, getting the drift: "What is moving so fast." Miguel: "All of it! All of it.") I think Miguel's previously-undisclosed illness will turn out to be the prime reason that Rebecca didn't want to spend time in the drug trial. As well as the reason he predeceases her. 

Maybe he means Rebecca's disease?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Off topic observation:  Several times people have mentioned an ending similar to Six Feet Under.  I only watched one episode of that show and hated it. Hated. I couldn't figure out any logical way what I remembered of it could translate in any way to TIU.
UNTIL... I looked up that final scene and realized I'd confused Six Feet Under (which I've never seen) with Pushing Daisies.  Doh.

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • LOL 2

Just my opinion but I don't think the finale is going to live up to the hype.  I think the final scene will be Rebecca dying and Jack waiting for her in the afterlife.  

As for who Kevin ends up with who cares at this point?  We aren't going to get to see them be together very long with so few episodes left.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:25 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Of course it would be political.  We don't really believe Randall will stop at state Senate do we? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Just my opinion but I don't think the finale is going to live up to the hype.  I think the final scene will be Rebecca dying and Jack waiting for her in the afterlife.  

It seems like Milo Ventimiglia agrees with you :)  From this interview.

TV Insider chatted with Moore and Ventimiglia on the PaleyFest 2022 red carpet at the Dolby Theatre before This Is Us was honored in front of legions of fans. Each actor addressed the possibility of there being some kind of on-screen scene between Rebecca and Jack not set in the past but rather in the future.

“I think we’ll have to see how that unfolds,” Moore responded. “I suspect Dan [Fogelman, creator/executive producer] has some trick up his sleeve…whatever it is [will be] beautiful and really appropriate.”

Ventimiglia concurs: “It’s only natural for the love that Rebecca and Jack had [for viewers] to want them to be together. I got a pretty good feeling they’re going to see one another again.”

• Useful 2

While I do believe the show will have Rebecca dying and joining Jack in the afterlife, I think the show will not end there.  That's the mid-episode break, and the show will fold in the Adult Jack Damon timeline.  Some family reunion with adult Jack and his wife, adult Hailey, the adult actresses already cast for Randall's girls, and adult actors playing the roles of Nicky and Frannie.  Maybe they meet at the cabin or maybe they all meet up for one of Jack's concerts, but something with that generation of Pearsons as adults.  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

While I do believe the show will have Rebecca dying and joining Jack in the afterlife, I think the show will not end there.  That's the mid-episode break, and the show will fold in the Adult Jack Damon timeline.  Some family reunion with adult Jack and his wife, adult Hailey, the adult actresses already cast for Randall's girls, and adult actors playing the roles of Nicky and Frannie.  Maybe they meet at the cabin or maybe they all meet up for one of Jack's concerts, but something with that generation of Pearsons as adults.  

I agree.  Some will disagree but I feel they killed interest in Kevin by dragging it out painfully and leaving no time for growth. Kate’s could have been done over 2 seasons and I always felt for movie/spin-off you’d see them all older last scene .

I don’t like the Titanic like Jack coming for Rebecca end for death.  Corny and Miguel was her husband too. Most fans don’t care  but it is on par with me with them ignoring Nicky’s back story.  I’m sure they’ll all have opinions later when they can talk.  I give Milo kudos for disagreeing with them on Nicky but he was “ dead” already. ;)

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

Of course it would be political.  We don't really believe Randall will stop at state Senate do we? 

So "Mr. Rising Star" runs for Senate....are we sure he wins? Is he a 1 term senator since I don't think Senators just wander around without security or bodymen/entourage like older Randall is wandering around Tess's office and then the dance studio in the flash forward. It appears the flash forward is 5 years after the wedding so unless he was already a Senator at that time, he would have been in the middle of his 6 year term at the time of the flash forward.

I am strangely excited about seeing how they wrap the stories up...not excited about any particular part (who Kevin ends up with, is Miguel alive etc...) but just how they bring it to a conclusion and put a bow on it

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 1

I was thinking Randall was running for US senate, not state, but could have misinterpreted.

Here is a link to an article that has an extended clip for tonight's episode where Rebecca references Jack being alive and we get confirmation that Randall did win his senate race (state or US still a question mark, for me, at least).

https://ew.com/tv/rebecca-thinks-jack-alive-this-is-us-wedding-episode/?did=768677-20220419&utm_campaign=ewk-tv_newsletter&utm_source=ew.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=041922&cid=768677&mid=85114892867

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, AriAu said:

So "Mr. Rising Star" runs for Senate....are we sure he wins? Is he a 1 term senator since I don't think Senators just wander around without security or bodymen/entourage like older Randall is wandering around Tess's office and then the dance studio in the flash forward. It appears the flash forward is 5 years after the wedding so unless he was already a Senator at that time, he would have been in the middle of his 6 year term at the time of the flash forward.

Randall would be the junior senator from Pennsylvania in this scenario, and the secret services does not offer protection to members of Congress.  As for his staff/entourage, Randall would be taking some time off and they would be back at the office or also taking time off.  It depends on the congressional calendar.  

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

As for who Kevin ends up with who cares at this point?  We aren't going to get to see them be together very long with so few episodes left.

Agree with all of this! I will temper my expectations for the rest of this season, especially the finale. Kevin will be similar to Kate for me. There is just not enough time for me to care about Phillip at all. So Kate and anything else that happens with her doesn't mean anything to me. 

I think they could have done without Randall and his mother last season, as well as Kate and Toby adopting story and developed some of this seasons episodes last year. 

• Love 4

Omg does anyone else feel like they need a break from Kate?  Three episodes in a row and now a fourth??  I wasn't even going to watch but the title "Day of the Wedding" gives me a strong vibe that it's not only about Kate and Phillip.  Kevin and Sophie's first wedding, perhaps?  

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

Omg does anyone else feel like they need a break from Kate?  Three episodes in a row and now a fourth??  I wasn't even going to watch but the title "Day of the Wedding" gives me a strong vibe that it's not only about Kate and Phillip.  Kevin and Sophie's first wedding, perhaps?  

I have a feeling that the wedding is just the backdrop for the drama that will unfold.  The actual wedding will be the B-plot while something else is the A-plot--either Kevin's love life or Rebecca's illness and how that affects Randall.  The preview for this episode highlights both of those.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have a feeling that the wedding is just the backdrop for the drama that will unfold.  The actual wedding will be the B-plot while something else is the A-plot--either Kevin's love life or Rebecca's illness and how that affects Randall.  The preview for this episode highlights both of those. 

Oh exactly.  I always meant the weddings themselves would be the backdrop.  We can bet our sweet bippies* the drama will be paramount.  I'm just happy if the main focus of it is not Kate.  

* I noticed Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In on Amazon prime and I couldn't resist a little peek  (and just wow lol).  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Since NEXT week is the Day Before the Wedding, how much can they show this week? I would assume that 40 min will be what led up to a reveal at the end of the episode today. I hate that because it wastes time. Overthinking it or why do we need to go back a day?

• Love 1

Weird ending idea that occurred to me while I was making dinner:  It’s all in elderly KYLE’S head!  It’s 2065 and Kyle is on his deathbed and imagined the entire series before moving onto the next world…..Randall doesn’t exist in the same form.  Randall is actually KYLE’S son!  So yeah, Randall is, like, 2 years old right now

• Love 2
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Weird ending idea that occurred to me while I was making dinner:  It’s all in elderly KYLE’S head!  It’s 2065 and Kyle is on his deathbed and imagined the entire series before moving onto the next world…..Randall doesn’t exist in the same form.  Randall is actually KYLE’S son!  So yeah, Randall is, like, 2 years old right now

I love weird endings so I would love this. 

How about the series ending and it changes to a scene with all "the actors," but with different names so Mandy Moore plays a second part (the actress), playing Rebecca etc." The series ends and a producer tells "Bill Jones" played by Justin Hartley, that he did great work on the series playing Kevin. Then Bill Jones tells "Paul Watkins," played by Milo Ventimiglia, that he did a great job playing Jack.  

They are at The Paley Center talking about the show, thereby making it all a show within a show. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, PRgal said:

7 hours ago, LoveLeigh said:

I love weird endings so I would love this. 

How about the series ending and it changes to a scene with all "the actors," but with different names so Mandy Moore plays a second part (the actress), playing Rebecca etc." The series ends and a producer tells "Bill Jones" played by Justin Hartley, that he did great work on the series playing Kevin. Then Bill Jones tells "Paul Watkins," played by Milo Ventimiglia, that he did a great job playing Jack.  

They are at The Paley Center talking about the show, thereby making it all a show within a show. 

I think any idea our posters  have will be better than what we will end up with.  

It is rare for a a show to stick the landing when it comes to series finales.  And this show has created such high expectations just by telling us how great/sad/moving it will be.  I don't have faith the writers have it in them to give us that. 

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 4

I should also add that this 2022 toddler Randall has quite the vocabulary for his age and is already using long Pearson speeches to persuade his parents to allow more screen time (namely watching Cocomelon videos (my three year old's current obsession)...at least JJ is less annoying than Caillou)).  Heh.....

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

When Randall said something about a train I had this thought of an ending; They all gather for Jack's wedding or something and they rent a bus to return to the hotel and there is an accident and they all die in the bus and there is a scene of disaster with a drone showing the bus from above, flames coming out of it, various things around it, doctors and policemen trying to save the injured, and then the camera goes to a tree and next to the tree are Jack and Rebecca silently watching...

I am SO proud of  this ending! I would love it! THAT would be an ending we would remember forever and not who Kevin ended up with or if Randall became president...

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was on my laptop during part of the show last night.  Did they show the Pearson Wobble dance at the reception?  If not, it’s here.  Was on NBC and posted by Sterling.  Maybe, it’ll air next week?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcjH-ORJsfJ/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=1a5fd704-8c9e-4dfb-a089-da17fecfe73e

I posted about this in the media thread. The cast isn’t in character there so I doubt it’ll be in the show. It’s great though! There’s another clip of Susan and Jon dancing salsa.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

When Randall said something about a train I had this thought of an ending; They all gather for Jack's wedding or something and they rent a bus to return to the hotel and there is an accident and they all die in the bus and there is a scene of disaster with a drone showing the bus from above, flames coming out of it, various things around it, doctors and policemen trying to save the injured, and then the camera goes to a tree and next to the tree are Jack and Rebecca silently watching...

That would be just about painful/miserable/agonizing  enough for this show!

While I was pretty sure before the episode that his night of passion must have been Sophie, I am having my doubts because unless we find out that she and her husband had separated, it would paint Kevin in really, really bad light. We know that he and Cassidy do the "friends with benefits" thing from time to time so would not be surprised if that was her bra (so to speak), but he is all kinds of conflicted about his talk with Sophie. Well, we'll know in 6 days

• Love 1

I'm worried the ending won't live up to the hype and even that it might possibly screw up the series for me. That's what happened for me with Big Love. I loved the first three seasons and felt it really struggled to find its footing after the writers strike, but continued to watch. The ending, however, was so bad I can't even watch the show in reruns even though I own the first three seasons that I loved. I'm worried they will  have a similar thing here.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I'm worried the ending won't live up to the hype and even that it might possibly screw up the series for me. That's what happened for me with Big Love. I loved the first three seasons and felt it really struggled to find its footing after the writers strike, but continued to watch. The ending, however, was so bad I can't even watch the show in reruns even though I own the first three seasons that I loved. I'm worried they will  have a similar thing here.

I really think that Covid and all the stops and starts irrevocably messed up their plan. They were always penciled in for six seasons and since 2020 we've missed a season's worth of episodes. What with the rushed montaged-together feel of Kate and Phillip's relationship and marriage not to mention Kate and Toby's actual divorce after spending multiple episodes of them fighting, and then the five-year jump to this timeline where Madison was abruptly taken out of the Kevin Wife Sweepstakes with an offscreen marriage and new baby, it feels like they had to swerve at the last minute to get all the storylines (mostly) tied up.

How long have we been asking about Miguel and his and Rebecca's story? He gets an episode finally, but it's a through-the-years episode a la Kate and Toby/Kate and Phillip.

• Love 1
On 4/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, bluegirl147 said:

But the thing is, it would give short shrift to Rebecca and Miguel's relationship.  Yes, I know Jack was the love of her life, but it just seems that if they do something like this, it'll totally trivialize all the years she spent with Miguel and treat him as an afterthought. 

Now that I've thought about all this, the writers will probably indeed do it.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

But the thing is, it would give short shrift to Rebecca and Miguel's relationship.  Yes, I know Jack was the love of her life, but it just seems that if they do something like this, it'll totally trivialize all the years she spent with Miguel and treat him as an afterthought. 

Now that I've thought about all this, the writers will probably indeed do it.

I feel the exact same way.  And if Miguel dies before Rebecca he doesn't get to greet her when she dies? I have never liked how they have made it seem like Miguel is just a placeholder till Rebecca can be with Jack again.

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I feel the exact same way.  And if Miguel dies before Rebecca he doesn't get to greet her when she dies? I have never liked how they have made it seem like Miguel is just a placeholder till Rebecca can be with Jack again.

And not a way to treat your first husband’s BFF.  Also, what happened to Miguel’s ex?  What about his kids?  Or do they hate the Big 3 and Rebecca so much that they don’t contact them?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I was trying to figure out if Rebecca is/was longer married to Miguel than Jack but then time-vertigo as bad as when I try to understand the River-Ten/Eleven/Twelve relationship set in 🤷‍♂️

Bottom line is that dead Jack waiting for Rebecca is not something I want to see. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I was trying to figure out if Rebecca is/was longer married to Miguel than Jack but then time-vertigo as bad as when I try to understand the River-Ten/Eleven/Twelve relationship set in 🤷‍♂️

Bottom line is that dead Jack waiting for Rebecca is not something I want to see. 

The episode where Kate and Toby fight at the family event, signaling the end of their marriage, was Rebecca and Miguel's 10th  anniversary. So, Kate marries Phillip 5 years later and Rebecca and Miguel are 15 years married.  I believe Rebecca's death bed is in 2033, so 11 years after the Katoby fight episode.  

If Miguel is still alive in 2033, he and Rebecca would be married for around 21 years presuming the 'Saturday in the Park' episode was in 2022.   

The Big 3 were 17 when Jack died, so, if Miguel is still alive when Rebecca dies, they may have been married longer than Jack/Rebecca.  At the very least, they've been married a comparable number of years.

I agree that dead Jack waiting for Rebecca when she dies is disrespectful to the life she shared with Miguel, unless M is still alive when she goes.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Rebecca and Jack were together from 1973-1998 and married from 1976-1998.  So they were together for 25 years, give or take a couple of months.  Rebecca did not reconnect with Miguel until October 2008 and the show never really said when they started their romantic relationship.  They did not get married until either late 2011 or early 2012.  I will admit I am a bit fuzzy as to which month Saturday in the Park took place.  How long the marriage lasts between Miguel and Rebecca really depends on when the show kills off Miguel.  If he dies before Rebecca, then their relationship will be less than 20 years.  Still a decent chunk of time to be together.  

• Useful 3
20 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

The episode where Kate and Toby fight at the family event, signaling the end of their marriage, was Rebecca and Miguel's 10th  anniversary. So, Kate marries Phillip 5 years later and Rebecca and Miguel are 15 years married.  I believe Rebecca's death bed is in 2023, so 11 years after the Katoby fight episode.  

If Miguel is still alive in 2023, he and Rebecca would be married for around 21 years presuming the 'Saturday in the Park' episode was in 2022.   

The Big 3 were 17 when Jack died, so, if Miguel is still alive when Rebecca dies, they may have been married longer than Jack/Rebecca.  At the very least, they've been married a comparable number of years.

I agree that dead Jack waiting for Rebecca when she dies is disrespectful to the life she shared with Miguel, unless M is still alive when she goes.

You mean 2032/2033?  Kate and Phillip marry in 2026-ish and Rebecca is still alive at that time.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, himela said:

This Is Us, the Shonda Rhimes version.

😄

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

If Rebecca meets anyone after death, it should be Kyle.

ETA: But let them meet in private.

That’s such a beautiful thought.  They won’t do it, but should. 

• Love 2

I don't think an afterlife scene would necessarily have to pair Rebecca up with either of her husbands.  There could just be a group of people waiting for her - Jack, Kyle, Miguel, Jack's mom, relatives we don't know.*  Like a happier version of the ending ofThe Lovely Bones movie.

*maybe even the first Mrs. Mean Jerk, crooked nose and all.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

If Rebecca meets anyone after death, it should be Kyle.

ETA: But let them meet in private.

As long as it doesn't involve skinny-dipping, I'll be OK with it.

Joking aside, I find any and all scenes where people meet in the afterlife extremely cheesy, so I hope this show steers clear of that trope. 

ETA: Just checked my TV listings, and the episode after the next one is titled "Miguel" - I hope it doesn't end with his death, but knowing this show, it probably will.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4