Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

Next show after this week is "

"The Guitar Man"

Kevin takes the twins to the cabin in hopes of proving himself as a father

I will save my disappointment without more info but it sounds like a show with a lot of stupid foibles while Kevin tries to prove he is competent with a sweet "we are all imperfect parent ending" Maybe not filler with other scenes but not needed.

Ugh.  All this Kevin and Sophie drama reminds me of another will they or won't they end up together that I hated, Ross and Rachel.  I was so glad when R&R split up; really hoped they'd stay that way; feel the same way about K&S.

• Love 5
On 2/28/2022 at 8:53 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I keep getting flashbacks to the final season of Lost. So many little mysteries that still need to be resolved. I have this fear that the ending will be that this has all been part of a fevered hallucination on the part of Jack after the fire and that it turns out he never died.

That right there would be the Shonda Rhimes version!

So they are having 3 shows on each kid with flashbacks (some we saw) to show progression? We kind of know that.  Except Kevin who is stuck. Cute opportunity to show the talented young kid actors but I want more present day, I just feel they are really doing a bad job with Kevin. He seemed so much more mature with Nicky and now?

3 hours ago, debraran said:

So they are having 3 shows on each kid with flashbacks (some we saw) to show progression? We kind of know that.  Except Kevin who is stuck. Cute opportunity to show the talented young kid actors but I want more present day, I just feel they are really doing a bad job with Kevin. He seemed so much more mature with Nicky and now?

I wish they would just get to the point and show us who Mrs. Kevin Pearson is instead of dragging it out.  Kevin is stuck because the show put him in limbo.  I'm getting to the point that I do not care who it is with the way they are stalling on this (and I was team anyone but Sophie the last few seasons).  Kevin is not going to grow until he finds his soulmate since the show decided Kevin needs a partner in order for this to happen.  Nothing is ever going to be enough without it.

• Love 5
On 2/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, Diana Berry said:

so this season has 18 episodes good grief.  I rather have 12 episodes of meat and potatoes vs 18 of filler

I had the same reaction at the teaser last night that the final 10 episodes will appear w/o a break…basically, ‘dear god, there are STILL 10 more episodes until the end??!!’

• Love 5

So, my guesses

Kevin marries Cassidy 

Nicky, who once dreamed of being a doctor and was a medic in Vietnam, is Rebecca's caretaker and living in the original cabin.

Phillip music teacher serenades Kate with "Kiss Me" as she walks down the stairs ala She's All That. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

My thoughts, I hope Kevin realizes he is ready to love Sophie who never married, as an equal, a mature guy. She hesitates because of the twins but relents because Kevin like in the past, persists. She is a nurse, something they've shown briefly (never told what area) and will help Kevin. He puts the ring of her mom's on her finger with a corny expression to her Mom's spirit about "finally earning it Claire"and they have Princess Bride references at wedding. (if Covid/V River curtails this, fine but my guess for their ending)

Trying to figure out why the change with Toby/Philip, I see Kate seems thinner in wedding dress, not much but I think they will try to show how she changes with him vs Toby. Part of me hates that because she should get confidence through herself not a man, not someone prodding her (unless therapist) but I see it as them helping fans like him because of how Kate is with him. I still don't see how they click, but will be open minded.

I think Nicky being medic will help but it's been many decades since he worked in that field and she'll need his support but a real nurse too.

The rest of the stories tell themselves.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, debraran said:

My thoughts, I hope Kevin realizes he is ready to love Sophie who never married, as an equal, a mature guy. She hesitates because of the twins but relents because Kevin like in the past, persists. She is a nurse, something they've shown briefly (never told what area) and will help Kevin. He puts the ring of her mom's on her finger with a corny expression to her Mom's spirit about "finally earning it Claire"and they have Princess Bride references at wedding. (if Covid/V River curtails this, fine but my guess for their ending)

Trying to figure out why the change with Toby/Philip, I see Kate seems thinner in wedding dress, not much but I think they will try to show how she changes with him vs Toby. Part of me hates that because she should get confidence through herself not a man, not someone prodding her (unless therapist) but I see it as them helping fans like him because of how Kate is with him. I still don't see how they click, but will be open minded.

I think Nicky being medic will help but it's been many decades since he worked in that field and she'll need his support but a real nurse too.

The rest of the stories tell themselves.

Yes Debraran, when I saw Cassidy in the preview for next week and thought about my ideas for writing my post, I thought: darn, I know Debra really really wants Sophie for Kevin! I love VR btw, miss it. 

I'm thinking Kate glides down the staircase just her regular self, Phillip loves her for who she is.

Yeah, regarding Nicky, my mom had the same thoughts as you, 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Does anyone know where I can find a compilation video of everything we know about the future-flash-forwards/Rebecca-deathbed timeline? I want to show all of the scenes to a friend to analyze :)

I had posted it again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Since Nicky isn't at the cabin for Thanksgiving, who thinks he's eloped with Edie?  Even though they haven't been together all that long?  

I do. When my sister met a guy she liked a lot and fell in love with they were 60's and married on his small boat within the year. They thought it was silly to wait since they knew what they wanted and didn't want to waste time. I can totally see him doing that.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

There was speculation in the latest episode thread that Kate is not in the flash-forward because Chrissy has lost a lot of weight and Kate will be much thinner than usual.

This is Chrissy at the Critics' Choice Award red carpet today; it looks like she's at more or less the same weight she's been throughout the show:

critics-choice-awards-chrissy-metz-Getty

So that option can be ruled out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

There was speculation in the latest episode thread that Kate is not in the flash-forward because Chrissy has lost a lot of weight and Kate will be much thinner than usual.

This is Chrissy at the Critics' Choice Award red carpet today; it looks like she's at more or less the same weight she's been throughout the show:

She looks bigger than ever!  Of course, part of that may be the dress.  It's an unfortunate choice because of the cut, color, and embellishment.  Madison could get away with that dress; Chrissy, not so much.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, CdrJanny said:

She looks bigger than ever!  Of course, part of that may be the dress.  It's an unfortunate choice because of the cut, color, and embellishment.  Madison could get away with that dress; Chrissy, not so much.

I've noticed that she favors this style a lot. I wonder whether it's really her preference or her stylist is a one-trick pony. My biggest issue with this particular dress though is that it's the exact same color as the red carpet, so it looks like Chrissy is emerging from a sea of red.

• Love 4

So I know we get very special episodes of Kevin , Kate , and Randall.  Will we also get episodes of Desha; Tess/Annie; Jack /Hailey; Nicky; Miguel ( when him and Rebecca get together; then full circle back to Rebecca. Any thoughts?

About Jack still being alive.  What if during the future scene with Rebecca in the bed…Jack is out walking around in the woods and casually comes into the house - Rebecca has been in the later stages of her illness, she remembers the fire but doesn’t realize Jack didn’t pass away.  Or we could get the more basic -Rebecca passes away and Jack is there to greet her.  I think this show will end with Rebecca and Jack forever.

About Chrissy at the awards, it’s really hard to know with that type of dress if she’s lost weigh or not. Jmo.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, chocolatine said:

The only places online where I can find the 'news' of Chrissy's spectacular weight loss are gimmick sites full of ads for pills to lose weight while you sleep and such.  They all seem to include one of two obviously photoshopped pics of her to 'prove' she's lost weight. One in a leather jacket, one in a black gown. Same photos, every site.  None of them actually include any quotes from Chrissy herself about this miraculous event or any information as to how she actually managed to do this.  It's just clickbait.

As far as how she looks in the red dress; 1) nobody should shy away from wearing a color they like because another color might make them look thinner.  If she wore black, she'd look 5 pounds thinner.  Who cares? and 2) I think that Chrissy tends to go for dresses with empire waists because her particular body type is geared to central obesity.  That means she carries much of her weight in her gut/abdomen.  So, if she wants to wear something that flows and doesn't cling, she needs a high waisted dress.  I'm not particularly fond of the ruffles, but she looks pretty and like she's happy with the way she looks, so good for her.

My only other quibble is that this would look terrific with a statement necklace and some bangles and rings.  The solid color of the dress would be a great setting for some bling.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

In reviewing the flash forwards posted above,  I'm really finding the biggest mystery to be why "she" really wanted Toby to be at the death bed, assuming "she" is Rebecca.  I can't imagine it's Kate, but I guess it's possible it's Hailey wanting her dad there?  

Also, Madison at the wedding beaming at Kevin and saying she already told him something 12 times that morning really indicates he is with her,  not Sophie or Cassidy.  If it was one of them,  why aren't they with the bride in the dressing room?

And of course,  no Miguel by Rebecca's side is very sad.

19 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

In reviewing the flash forwards posted above,  I'm really finding the biggest mystery to be why "she" really wanted Toby to be at the death bed, assuming "she" is Rebecca.  I can't imagine it's Kate, but I guess it's possible it's Hailey wanting her dad there?  

Also, Madison at the wedding beaming at Kevin and saying she already told him something 12 times that morning really indicates he is with her,  not Sophie or Cassidy.  If it was one of them,  why aren't they with the bride in the dressing room?

And of course,  no Miguel by Rebecca's side is very sad.

Madison is Kate's closest friend in the present day on the show, she may be maid/matron of honor which is why she is helping the bride get ready.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Madison is Kate's closest friend in the present day on the show, she may be maid/matron of honor which is why she is helping the bride get ready.

Thanks,  but I don't think I asked why she was helping Kate get ready?

1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

As I have said before, when Randall calls Toby he is REALLY sad, not "omg my life sucks" sad, rather than "something tragic happened to me" sad. Could it be that Kate had an accident and Toby was to blame? Maybe he was driving the car and they had an accident and she died that's why he was surprised Rebecca wanted him there?

1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

Madison is also Kate's best friend, but also her and Kevin have kids together, it's normal that they talk a lot about things.

2 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

It is possible that in Rebecca's illness she believes Kate is still married to Toby.  Kate's second marriage does not happen until 2025ish, so at that point Rebecca may not have imprinted on Kate's new husband.  The thing with dementia and Alzheimer's is that the patient retains some memories.  The Pin the Tail on the Donkey game that Beth is bringing points to Rebecca retaining some of herself.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
On 3/12/2022 at 9:52 PM, Violetgoblin6 said:

Nicky, who once dreamed of being a doctor and was a medic in Vietnam, is Rebecca's caretaker and living in the original cabin.

I don't see Nicky providing personal hygiene care to his sister-in-law; changing her diapers, bathing her, even lifting her into a wheelchair, etc.  I suppose he could be living in the cabin with Edie (who travels a lot).

By the way, how many bedrooms does the original cabin have?  I assumed it was 3: one for Rebecca and Jack, one for the boys, and one for Kate.  In order to fit everyone in this last Thanksgiving, they would need one room for Rebecca and Miguel; a 2nd for Kate and Toby (and it better be a big one so the 2 kids can fit in); a 3rd for Randall and Beth; at least a 4th for the 3 girls (assuming there are bunks); a 5th for Kevin; a 6th if Madison had come (because she wasn't going to share with Kevin); and a 7th if Nicky had been there?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

By the way, how many bedrooms does the original cabin have?  I assumed it was 3: one for Rebecca and Jack, one for the boys, and one for Kate.  In order to fit everyone in this last Thanksgiving, they would need one room for Rebecca and Miguel; a 2nd for Kate and Toby (and it better be a big one so the 2 kids can fit in); a 3rd for Randall and Beth; at least a 4th for the 3 girls (assuming there are bunks); a 5th for Kevin; a 6th if Madison had come;  (because she wasn't going to share with Kevin); and a 7th if Nicky had been there?

That cabin's size has proven to be extremely . . . um, flexible . . . over the years.  Just like most other things in Pearson Land, including geography.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Sterling said in interview once Rebecca was dying and they were trying to get there before. I'm assuming much before since she wouldn't be lucid for talking or looking at chalk or pin the tail. That through me because originally I thought she was fading and they wanted to get the last moments she might recognize some. But when he said she was close to death, I didn't get the bringing childhood things. I guess we will see then, why.

Next week is Kate...all it says is Kate goes to Toby....I guess we know it wont be ideal.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

On most of the episode threads, many posters are complaining about the show not having enough time in this last season to address "unfinished" storylines. I thought I would bring up this on this thread for discussion. What storyline (or storylines) is most important to you as a viewer, and why. How do you see that storyline ending. 

Randall's story is called "Every Version of You" for next week after Kate's but that's what Miguel said to Rebecca. Well, I guess he feels he is different depending on whom he is with.

This was on one site:

Randall and Rebecca take a road trip to reminisce about their past experiences. PG (TV)

NBC hаs аlreаdy reveаled some of this informаtion. Nonetheless, it’s enthrаlling to speculаte on the depth of their discussions. After аll, Rаndаll’s mаy be irritаted thаt she hаs entrusted Kаte with his cаre if Miguel is unаble to. We know he likes to dress up аs Supermаn аnd sаve everyone who needs sаving. In thаt sense, he’s the Big Three’s most resemblаnce to Jаck.

We аlso know thаt Rаndаll hаs а lot on his plаte, аnd he needs to leаrn thаt tаking cаre of himself is the most importаnt thing he cаn do. This episode could be аbout it, аnd it could аlso leаd to him thinking more аbout his politicаl future in generаl; remember thаt аrticle from five yeаrs аgo? At some point, we must get closer to thаt…

Seems like a lot of Pearson speech like moments but time will tell. I do think that just like with Kevin, Randall saw things through his lens and maybe that will be shown a little bit but I must say, I'm getting tired of going back, I want to go forward with so little time left. One thing this show wasn't good at was showing communication skills or the growth of them. Kevin tried to tell them he felt left out at therapy, shut down, Randall was never seen or looked at as a black male in his home, which sounds good but unrealistic and doesn't prepare him for others. Also ignoring his history so he feels he can't discuss news on TV was wrong. Kate, we never understood her constant inferiority complex or why she didn't hone what she was good in or why she was an afterthought at times. Randall talks...but Kevin doesn't communicate well (except with Sophie) and still doesn't. Kate doesn't just talk to to Toby, let's sit down, Rebecca never spoke up often or had anyone tell her to live her life the way she is telling them now. A lot of wasted time, I don't mind seeing the reality of it, but would like to see more growth.

Justin said about coming up episodes:

Is there anything coming up in this final season that you’re really excited for people to see?

We’re actually shooting it right now. There’s another Kevin-centric plot point coming up that takes a few episodes to resolve. Kate’s sort of entwined in that and the whole Rebecca thing that is going on through the rest of the season. There’s a really wonderful episode coming up where I think people are going to see Miguel in a different light. We have a lot to do. I think we have four more episodes left to shoot, but I think there are 10 more left to air. So there’s a lot of things that happen in those 10 episodes. I mean, a lot gets accomplished. A lot of story gets told in those 10 episodes. Yeah, we have a lot. Did I mention that we have a lot?

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, debraran said:

Justin said about coming up episodes:

Is there anything coming up in this final season that you’re really excited for people to see?

We’re actually shooting it right now. There’s another Kevin-centric plot point coming up that takes a few episodes to resolve. Kate’s sort of entwined in that and the whole Rebecca thing that is going on through the rest of the season. There’s a really wonderful episode coming up where I think people are going to see Miguel in a different light. We have a lot to do. I think we have four more episodes left to shoot, but I think there are 10 more left to air. So there’s a lot of things that happen in those 10 episodes. I mean, a lot gets accomplished. A lot of story gets told in those 10 episodes. Yeah, we have a lot. Did I mention that we have a lot?

I also read another interview (TVLine I think) where Justin said after episode 10 it would be like a whole different (or he might have said new) show.

Found it here.

TVLINE | OK. Give me a tease about anything past what we’ve seen so far, the farther out the better.
The place that we leave these three off at the end of Episode 10, where Kevin and Kate and Randall are in their lives, seems like they’re on a path and they’ve figured everything out. And what you realize shortly after is the decisions that those three made about what they’re going to do is almost like a completely different show going forward. You’re going to see all three of them behaving in ways where you go, “Oh, well, that’s totally different than we’re used to” — and for good reason.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I also read another interview (TVLine I think) where Justin said after episode 10 it would be like a whole different (or he might have said new) show.

Found it here.

This is interesting.  I'm still thinking Kevin may end up alone, rather than in a 'perfect" relationship like his parents had....

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

From January, this give another perspective. Justin got in trouble years ago telling too much, he used to give broad hints and they needed to reel him in. lol. Now he is still careful but gives a little more.

part  of interview : There’s all the stuff about his family, how much he cares about his brother and sister and mom, how he remembers his dad, and Sophie, the love of his life,” Hartley said. “I think it’s so cool that there’s this guy, 41 years old, a grown man, who’s been in love with the same girl for over 30 years. It’s great, right?”

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/this-is-us-justin-hartley-sophie-kevin-love-story.html/

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

I’m not any clearer about who Kevin ends up.

Me neither.  Seems like they're floating The Love Of My Life story so Sophie/Kevin are endgame, for the shippers' satisfaction when the series ends.

But maybe Kevin and Cassidy marry after all, bonding with their broken pieces and sobriety journey together.  I wouldn't think that but why was Cassidy brought back again?  IF the Big Three Houses company Kevin forms is he, Nicky and Cassidy, maybe they will all be Pearsons because Kevin married Cassidy and she takes his surname.

Is there really more time to introduce a new relationship for Kevin, such as with the construction supervisor gal we just met in S06E08?

• Love 2

I wouldn't think there would be time for anyone to care about anyone new, even Philip is having issues, Madison was never center in show so she is more flexible. Cassidy would have to get a lot better and although the heart is not attached to the brain, they discourage 2 addicts from marrying especially if one or both or still struggling. Bringing children into that is hard too. I wondered if Cassidy would have done what she did if alone with son, I doubt it, but that would have been so scary for him. I'm sure it would be now too.

I think the show should have led Kevin down one path and then if they wanted to switch it later, a curve, do it last year. This questioning happened when Alex wanted some time to do other things while they said Kevin was finding himself and doing Vietnam etc. I don't think they expected her to find Virgin River, more movie of the week type things. She was starring in that role so you could understand the draw. They said they'd work around it and she was supposed to film more but being in Canada it was hard. This past year, they finished early and TIU started late. Whether they try to accelertate from her mom's funeral to now, we will see. They obviously did not want him with Madison in a "I do love you moment" during the over a year of filming then. I know she has more fans now but the way it happened, had a lot of fans balking in the beginning. One woman writer (name?) said they wrote the scene with the photographer and her to help fans see "she is nice and helpful" but they still were like, " one night stand?" No support?" Sometimes it takes time but obvious camps were set up which I didn't think they wanted.

I know Sophie is with Rebecca since they filmed her there, but she might not even have lines. I know she told them early on please no matter what happens, I need to be there. They were even alluding to showing them and her wearing ring and not showing the preliminary stuff but that would be deflating too. Now we know they filmed at least 5 years ahead at wedding.

No matter what happens I think the last show will be very popular in ratings, not like MASH years ago, different TV then but popular. I'm glad it's ending but hope they get a movie or two out of it. Why not have holiday, 2 hour shows. How about on Netflix with NO commercials ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Me neither.  Seems like they're floating The Love Of My Life story so Sophie/Kevin are endgame, for the shippers' satisfaction when the series ends.

But maybe Kevin and Cassidy marry after all, bonding with their broken pieces and sobriety journey together.  I wouldn't think that but why was Cassidy brought back again?  IF the Big Three Houses company Kevin forms is he, Nicky and Cassidy, maybe they will all be Pearsons because Kevin married Cassidy and she takes his surname.

Is there really more time to introduce a new relationship for Kevin, such as with the construction supervisor gal we just met in S06E08?

I have no idea.  As I said on another thread, I don’t think the show runners have a clue about the audience.  Maybe they think that it’s cute and fun for  the audience to be in the dark and be surprised.  It’s getting old.

Even before Cassidy’s accident , I wouldn’t think two recovering addicts would be a good combination romantically.  Friends and support.  Yes.

Switching gears, I read the actor that plays Kate’s neighbor that had the stroke will be in the season.  Any chance at all, Kate could end up with him? I keep thinking a Bridgette jones type thing— self centered teacher ( Hugh grant ) vs neighbor ( mr. Darcy ).  Mr Darcy aka neighbor ends up loving Kate just as she is.

it’s a longshot because Kevin does make the brother in law comment at the future wedding scene.  Oh well.

• Love 2
On 3/20/2022 at 2:06 AM, CrystalBlue said:

I have never gotten the impression that Kevin and Sophie had shippers the way that Jack and Rebecca and Randall and Beth do.  Of course, I do not follow fans of the show on social media.  Maybe on Facebook there is a large contingent of Kevin/Sophie shippers.  This Is Us has always been the Jack/Rebecca or Randall show.  Kevin and Kate are just there to a lot of the shows fans.

More from Justin on the topic of Kevin's ending. Source: EW

In part:

He hints that the resolution has a sound logic to it, even if Kevin's endgame turns out to be a little polarizing. "I don't think everyone's going to be happy necessarily," he shares. "Every single person is not going to be like, 'That's what I wanted.' Some people will want something different. I mean, because it could be that he just ends up with no one... People are going to have their own reasons for why they believe what they believe. But whether you get what you want or you don't get what you want, I think it's going to be very satisfying, and you're going to understand what happened, and you're going to say, 'Well, that makes a lot of sense.'"

I think this lends itself to the idea of Kevin and Madison - though it's definitly not my choice. I think the idea of him 'choosing himself' and winding up raising the kids alone would be supremely unsatisfying for me as well. Ironic, since I am someone who has been on [happily] on my own, by choice, for many years now. But Kevin seems like a man who has a lot of love to give, and that needs love in return. I don't think I'd buy that big of a change of character in his case.  I'm (also ironically) a hopeless romantic when the situation calls for it, and I would like to see him and Sophie find their way back together, with all their issues resolved.

Apropos of nothing, on the Facebook post where I saw this article, someone commented that Justin looked like the best parts of Ben Affleck and Ryan Reynolds and now I can't unsee it.

• Love 1

We already know Kevin is wearing a wedding ring, as is Nicky, at the Rebecca deathbed scene.  So either Kevin is married or was married and is now a widower who still wears his wedding ring.  Unless there's a storyline about why Kevin wears a wedding ring to fool the public or somesuch nonsense.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

We already know Kevin is wearing a wedding ring, as is Nicky, at the Rebecca deathbed scene.  So either Kevin is married or was married and is now a widower who still wears his wedding ring.  Unless there's a storyline about why Kevin wears a wedding ring to fool the public or somesuch nonsense.

The idea that the ring Kevin is wearing is Kate's who is then dead crossed my mind.

In general I think that someone will be dead by then. The show that kills the main star in season 1 must kill someone in the end too.

7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

FWIW there is a behind-the-scenes picture of the five-year-future-flash (Kate's wedding) and Madison is wearing a wedding ring. Whether that is Madison the character or Caitlin Thomson the actress, who knows?

• Useful 1

I think Kevin will pull a Bryan Lourd and realize he is gay. I think a very famous actor will be in the last episode as his husband. That's why he is wearing a wedding ring. And he is finally happy at last. And I think Kate is alive and preparing for gastric bypass surgery. Randall is still happily married to Beth. And the final scene will be a major tearjerker. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Love 1

I had always sort of assumed that they were hiding Kate because she's lost a lot of weight, and seeing her thin will be a big reveal. But for that to work, the actress would need to have been wearing a fat suit by now, and it certainly doesn't look like one. What do others think?

3 minutes ago, crashdown said:

I had always sort of assumed that they were hiding Kate because she's lost a lot of weight, and seeing her thin will be a big reveal. But for that to work, the actress would need to have been wearing a fat suit by now, and it certainly doesn't look like one. What do others think?

They have resisted showing Kate in the flashforward for 2 reasons--

1. leaving the door open for whatever Chrissy's size will be when they finally got around to filming it.  Not that there will be a big reveal that Kate is now thin, but a way that allows Chrissy to film at whatever size she is naturally.  

2. You don't show all of your cards all at once.  Each flashforward has revealed a new layer from Randall and Beth reconciling to Kevin being a dad to Kevin being a dad with twins and a wedding ring to Nicky wearing a wedding ring by Rebecca's bedside to showing who Nicky's wife is.  We will eventually see Kate and Jack and Hailey and possibly Philip when the time is right.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

1. leaving the door open for whatever Chrissy's size will be when they finally got around to filming it.  Not that there will be a big reveal that Kate is now thin, but a way that allows Chrissy to film at whatever size she is naturally.  

I don't think they were as chill as that. Don't forget that it was written into Chrissy's contract that she was going to lose weight, so we could all "go on the journey" with her. Since we haven't gone on that journey, I'm assuming things didn't go exactly according to plan.

• Useful 2
Just now, crashdown said:

I don't think they were as chill as that. Don't forget that it was written into Chrissy's contract that she was going to lose weight, so we could all "go on the journey" with her. Since we haven't gone on that journey, I'm assuming things didn't go exactly according to plan.

No, the showrunners realized that they could not force Chrissy to lose weight by getting surgery.  So, they dropped that storyline and the character languished for a few seasons.  The flashforwards did not appear in season one when that was the storyline the show wanted for Kate.  They didn't happen until season 3.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

No, the showrunners realized that they could not force Chrissy to lose weight by getting surgery.

Do you have a source for that, or is it just speculation? I haven't read that, and I'm interested. Thanks!