Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E21: Maybe You'll Appreciate Me Someday

27 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

If Vince hit on Rayna when she was Maddie's age, wouldn't he be really, really old by the time he got around to hitting on Maddie?

Connie Britton is 49, so assuming Vince would be a bit older when he hit in her, I'd guesstimate 55-60 now (although Fun Bobby isn't that old).  Not uncommon for guys that old to prey on the young & dumb. 

In all fairness to the skeevy older guys, there are plenty of young wannabe's, wannabeseen, gold diggers who are actively looking for what the older guy can offer. But that's really commerce. 

Ventresca's only a few months older than Britton, but I think it's not implausible that Not So Fun Bobby was already predatory when he was a young producer, excused even then because he was the young genius, 'the next big thing,' but maybe not that much more established in the industry than Rayna herself at the time. Of course, Ventresca's probably been playing characters older than his real age for a while. He seems to have made something of minor specialty of playing slightly rancid-looking skeezes.

Is it possible that the Layla character (now that any point in discussing Layla has essentially evaporated) was the show's attempt at featuring a character with borderline personality disorder? Not that I'm an expert, and not that the show has a great track record of showing any health issue, psychological or physical, in anything like a responsible fashion, but maybe what seemed like an inconsistent characterization for Layla was actually an attempt at showing someone who had a pathologically malleable sense of herself? Layla was shown to be self-dramatizing, clingy, prone to emotional outbursts and feelings of persecution. It might actually fit. The question is, was it intentional? And should I care, one way or the other?

• Love 1

I can't find it to quote it, but I loved the comment about Juliette being so devoted to portraying Patsy Cline, right down to the plane crash.   It was horrible and hilarious at the same time.

I'm going to miss the music.  It's ten times better than anything that currently plays on country radio, in my opinion.

20 hours ago, gryphon said:

I absolutely LOVED Luke and Will performing together. What a great sound!  They looked like they were having fun and I love that.  I squeed out loud and clapped for Will and Kevin.  Yay! 

One of my favorite performances is of them.  Chris Carmack reminds me of the Stella sisters - he just glows while performing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl3YD0wSvnw

19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Great that Deacon happened to know exactly where Vince lives so he could swoop in and rescue Maddie at the very moment she was about to be assaulted, but I still felt bad that once again poor Daphne gets the shaft because of Maddie. OF COURSE Deacon ran off right before Daphne's big moment. But at least she finally got a moment to shine on her own!

In my head, Daphne stormed away muttering, "you have got to be kidding me."  Look up the prodigal son, Daphne.  It's not going to get any better.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, smiley13 said:

I am not sure why people keep calling Layla crazy.  She blames dumb Juliette for the death of the man she loved, so of course she wanted revenge.  Sounds pretty logical to me.

The show's resident crazy has always been Juliette, but she always gets a pass because of her woe is me childhood, and her messed up hormones post birth.  

I actually think Layla is very different from Juliette. Layla likes to think she nice and sweet and tries to manipulate people so they see her that way but is actually a stone cold bitch. Juliette thinks of herself as a stone cold bitch but is actually a good person. The biggest difference is Juliette actually cares about other people and gives selflessly (like sending Glenn to help out Maddie)+ where Layla's relationships even with Jeff are about what Layla wants and needs. Also wanting revenge is one thing but a zany scheme with the potential to hurt several innocent people like Glenn, Avery and even Cadence is definitely strong evidence of a personality disorder. People with a normal amount of empathy and understanding of the consequences of their actions do not pull the shit Layla has.

• Love 13

Glenn is my guide:  Juliette is not the asshole that Layla is. 

In the beginning, I thought Layla v. Juliette was supposed to be some kind of parallel with Juliette v. Rayna.  But Layla never came off as a rising star, and she never came off as warm. 

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

I actually think Layla is very different from Juliette. Layla likes to think she nice and sweet and tries to manipulate people so they see her that way but is actually a stone cold bitch. Juliette thinks of herself as a stone cold bitch but is actually a good person. The biggest difference is Juliette actually cares about other people and gives selflessly (like sending Glenn to help out Maddie)+ where Layla's relationships even with Jeff are about what Layla wants and needs. Also wanting revenge is one thing but a zany scheme with the potential to hurt several innocent people like Glenn, Avery and even Cadence is definitely strong evidence of a personality disorder. People with a normal amount of empathy and understanding of the consequences of their actions do not pull the shit Layla has.

This. Even her supposed jealously of Rayna was more or less because-like I said earlier- Rayna had made it very clear that she didn't believe Juliette was real country. Rayna believed Juliette was all fluff and cowboy boots and denim shorts and she couldn't understand that. She didn't believe she had any real talent. And since the first season, Juliette has grown up. And yes, a lot of Juliette's issues are sort of understood because she had a bad childhood, that would affect you and also her PP Depression. Layla had a good childhood -I actually think a pretty great one, but I'm not sure if it's canon, I just remember a mention of her parents who wouldn't be attending her wedding to Will and when she mentioned she deferred Harvard when she got on the singing show that she came in second.  And Layla has not grown up in the three seasons since we've met her. Nothing has changed her mind about anything. Everything she has ever done has been a career move for her. 

I think that's what I hate most of all about the ending, the fact that one of our two stars got a crap ending and we're are sadly left to assume she's dead(In my head, they are fine at Juliette's house eating pink macaroni but alas, I sadly know what the show showed us) and Layla gets a call from Bucky that her album is selling off the charts. What makes me mad is that the show had a happy ending for Juliette and Avery but choose the cliffhanger for possible show pickup reasons but why did they have to include the scene with Layla getting her good news? That could have been left on the cutting room floor if you ask me.  

• Love 3

What's with all the "[character I hate] should end up sexually assaulted" talk lately? Saw some of that with Maddie an episode or two ago, now with Cash and Layla... we shouldn't wish that on anyone.

• Love 11
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

What's with all the "[character I hate] should end up sexually assaulted" talk lately? Saw some of that with Maddie an episode or two ago, now with Cash and Layla... we shouldn't wish that on anyone.

Yes you are right and since I did make a comment in regards to it, I'm sorry if I offended anyone, not my intention and I'm sorry if I did. In reality, I don't wish that on anyone. It's awful.  Also, I wasn't really thinking of a sexual assault with leaving her there, I was just thinking Fun Bobby is an awful person in general to be around and his party guests are too probably but I can see how people would think that's what I meant and that was not my intention. 

Anyways..back to the episode:

I honestly don't think I want the show to be picked up. I feel like it wouldn't be the same. I feel like others have said, Juliette's MIA/crashed plane was probably HP wanting an out and I don't know if I want to watch the show without her. But I do feel like HP may be done with this show? Was this ending shot before HP was planning to go back into treatment? If so, I feel like she may have checked out a long time ago. Plus, some storylines would be just be strange to come back to it. Maddie still is a recording artist at a rival label (not Highway 65!) and this time, legally, Rayna can't just walk into the label and get her out of it, like she did with Edgehill and the necklace. I suppose that that could be a storyline.

On a side note I just realized now that we never did find what Cash's goal was with all this? She didn't become Maddie's manager? Although, maybe she was acting like she was but she introduced herself as a friend/big sister or whatever and so I don't think she was being paid by Maddie's new found Maddie, unless she was and we weren't shown it. I don't know. This storyline was the worst thing ever. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
I'm still confused on why Cash even came around. The character and her reasons for acting why she did are mystifying.
  • Love 2

Unlike some others I would indeed accept Nashville coming back for a season five without Juliette, depending on some factors.

1. Hayden herself must actively want out, not just take a break.
  2. Avery must be given a storyline that does not revolve around being a sad cry-face for someone. He needs a career.
  3. There must be absolutely no further favoritism for Aubrey Peebles. She didn't deserve even half of the songs she got in season 4.
  4. The show should be legally banned from breaking up Scarlett and Gunnar before we at least get to see how they would look like in a real relationship. Their relationship drama shouldn't be their story, their story should be their musical career.
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Connie Britton is 49, so assuming Vince would be a bit older when he hit in her, I'd guesstimate 55-60 now (although Fun Bobby isn't that old).  Not uncommon for guys that old to prey on the young & dumb. 

In all fairness to the skeevy older guys, there are plenty of young wannabe's, wannabeseen, gold diggers who are actively looking for what the older guy can offer. But that's really commerce. 

Connie Britton is 49, are we supposed to believe that Rayna is 49?  That would mean she had Maddie at age 33, and I thought she and Deacon had their stormy relationship/she got pregnant in her early to mid 20's.  

Hadn't really thought about whether Rayna was in the same age ballpark as Connie - just assumed without thinking of the larger storylines, but that does sound off for Rayna's timeline. 

Oh well.

33 minutes ago, deSchenke said:

Connie Britton is 49, are we supposed to believe that Rayna is 49?  That would mean she had Maddie at age 33, and I thought she and Deacon had their stormy relationship/she got pregnant in her early to mid 20's.  

They'd had a relationship for 11 years at the time she got pregnant, and assuming she was around 17 when that relationship started she'd have been in her late 20's when she had Maddie - which would put her around 46 right now. 

23 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Ok ..I watched for 4 years now and I still get Glen and Bucky mixed up.  My bad...

Came here to post precisely that. My takeaway from the final episode is that I still couldn't tell them apart.  I mean, within a scene, I'd get that this was Rayna's guy, this one's Juliette's guy.  But damned if I didn't go through that process every episode of every season, right up to the end.

• Love 5

People sometimes complained about Glenn's hair-replacement choices... but it sure helped to be able to tell them apart. 

And just because it cannot be said enough... Glenn is the best!   I will miss him, Emily, Daphne and Juliette the most, I think.

• Love 5

Am I the only one who was hoping Maddie would come to her senses, realize what Fun Bobby was up to, and slug him and/or throw her drink in his face, just before Daddy came riding in to save the day?

• Love 10

I was finally able to tell the difference between Bucky and Glen this episode because Glen started wearing glasses.  It was brilliant-if only he had worn them from the first season I wouldn't have had to waste time figuring out who was who.

43 minutes ago, Quof said:

Am I the only one who was hoping Maddie would come to her senses, realize what Fun Bobby was up to, and slug him and/or throw her drink in his face, just before Daddy came riding in to save the day?

I was yelling at her to smash the glass over his head!

• Love 1

No CRANBERRY I was also wondering when she was going to do that very same thing but being so young and so naive on what the industry does to young talent I think she was just so scared. Am I the only one who thought that this was the time for Deacon to deck the guy and it being okay with Maddie realizing just close she came to being molested/raped her dad saving her just like he did with Scarlett. I don't like violence but if there were a time for Fun Bobby to get decked it was then and he wouldn't have a leg to stand on when Maddie continually said NO.

• Love 2

He would have been arrested and there was no proof that Fun Bobby was sexually harassing Maddie, so decking him, while satisfying, would have been the wrong call. I liked what Chip said about it: "In that last scene, they understood — fans that have been there a while — what a step it was for him to step back from the guy that had his arm around his daughter. He learned the hard way. But God bless him, he learned!"

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Quof said:

I was hoping she'd get herself out of the situation, tell Cash to go fly a kite, and then call her Dad to come pick her up. She'd be upset, naturally, but he'd make it better.

• Love 4

I finally got to watch this (I would have watched this live, for once, but I was actually in real Nashville at the time, and I just got home), and, like this season in general, it was ridiculously uneven. 

The whole Luke and Will plot basically has made this whole season worth it. They are the characters that have actually had legit arcs, and had actual solid endings to their stories. Their performance was my favorite in a LONG time. They both just had so much passion and excitement in the performance, it was really great to see, as was Will telling off awful homophobe lady, and him getting back together with his ex. That was all great, and now, in my head, Will becomes a huge success and lives happily ever after. 

So the Maddie story ends exactly like I expected it to end. Maddie gets in over her head, creepy guys hits on her, Daddy Deacon comes running to save the day, and she runs crying into Raynas arms. Exactly what I imagined. Dude, Maddie, you still dumped your own family. Running back to mom and dad crying is not going to change any of that. Maddie is not at all redeemed to me. I feel bad some creepy guy tried to molest her (she certainly did not deserve that), but she still needs to seriously apologize to her family before she should get her happy ending. She drug her dad through the dirt in court. That was cold. And that wild card song is by far the worst she has ever sounded on this show. Breathy and sexy just does not work for her.  

I am on the "Layla is off her rocker" camp. Avery with the "your crazy and we`re done" was amazing, and I want it playing on a loop forever. I mean, Juliette is no saint, but Layla gives me few reasons to really like her. Juliette at least has some more layers, and has had some real struggles. Layla has struggled, but a lot of that is due to her fame climbing, not just due to her having a bad life. Plus, she just comes off as such a little girl playing at grown up. Like all of Maddies terrible "sexy" songs. 

Juliette made it to the airport, reunites with Avery and Cadence, and everything is great. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.  

• Love 12

Oh, Nashville!  You just couldn't resist, could you.  Even though your show is done on ABC and its only shot is being saved by another network, you still role the dice, and go with the "Juliette's plane goes missing!" cliffhanger, so if this is truly in the end, we will never know if she's OK or if she died in a furious explosion.  What a disappointment.  Even if Hayden Panettiere doesn't want to stick around (for health or other reasons) if they do come back, I would vastly prefer if she was just written out another way.  That's not even mentioning that Glen was on the plane too, I think, so there is no need to take him out with her.  Whatever; that whole thing was dumb.

Luke and Will finish the season off as being the highlights of this lame season.  Chris Carmack in particular, really got some great material and I thought he nailed it, even when it slipped into obvious tropes at time.  I'm glad they at least gave Will a nice ending with Kevin (I so kept waiting for a gunshot or something.)  And, again, Luke somehow became one of the most likable characters on this show.

Sure enough, Maddie comes running back to her family, after things go south.  Of course, this being Nashville, they had to take it to the extreme and make it be that her new producer is not only a creepy rapist, but a creepy rapist who even tried something on Rayna!  Of course, they also had to find a way for Deacon to find out and not only save the day, but also resist punching him, showing that Deacon is slowly learning to control his anger issues.  Fine, whatever.  The family is back now.  Still think the entire subplot almost killed the season.  And that Maddie really needs to apologize a lot: especially to Daphne.  I also hope that we find out next season (?) that Cash and Frankie end up suffering somehow.  Crazy-ass bastards.

Speaking of crazy-asses, Layla's nutty ways finally blow up in her face.  Once again, she tries to destroy Juliette, but this time, she overreaches, and now both Glen and Avery are done with her.  Thank goodness.  Yes, Juliette has been awful a lot of times on this show, but Layla takes it to another level.  I really think she's crazy.  At least with Juliette, I feel like her asshole behavior is at the surface and that's all it would be.  But Layla?  I think she is capable of doing something truly horrible.  So, that's why it's never been a contest for me (not to mention Hayden just being a way better actress then Aubrey Peeples.)  Layla is the worst.

Gunnar and Scarlett will attempt it again, I guess?  Whatever; I don't care anymore.  I guess we're suppose to see if there will be any fallout with Autumn over this, but again.  I don't care.

Not the worst potential series finale, I guess (plus, I do think there is a decent chance someone else will pick it up), but it could have been better.  Either way though, this entire season was a bust and if they are lucky to come back, there better be a major overhaul.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I was yelling at her to smash the glass over his head!

I kept wondering if her drink was drugged at one point but then I looked at my clock and saw that there was only a little bit of the show left and she had to get the hell out of there because I knew a reunion was coming and then she read that article/letter Rayna wrote and knew there was no time for a drugged out of way toget out of there. I kind of hate that this is what the catalyst was for her return home, though. I kind of wish, despite me hating the character Cash had played more of a role in it, only because we spent almost all of these past 6 or 7 episodes with her having such a huge impact with no real result or reason for it.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

If Hayden doesn't come back due to her ongoing situation, I will certainly understand it, even if I don't like it.  Like someone said weeks ago, I watched Hayden as Lizzie Spaulding for years.  She's also done such a fantastic job with Juliette to make her warm and relatable.  Yeah, Juliette has done plenty of crappy things, but her childhood was extremely crappy, and I think she's grown and matured along the way.  She even tried to help mentor Maddie by letting her "borrow" Glenn.  Speaking of which, Glenn and Emily MUST return if Juliette is in the new season.  I LOVE how Glenn has always tried to look out for Juliette as her surrogate dad.

Even a reduced amount of Juliette would please me if that's all Hayden felt she could do.  Some Juliette would be better than no Juliette at all

• Love 8
On 2016-05-26 at 0:45 PM, NYGirl said:

Ok ..I watched for 4 years now and I still get Glen and Bucky mixed up.  My bad...

Psst ... I hear even Glenn's therapist occasionally calls him "Other Bucky," so don't feel too bad.

Was it too much to expect that Maddie should at least attempt an apology? I guess it was. I was thinking that when Deacon brought to the concert venue she might say something like, "Hey, Mom, Dad: I'm sorry I acted like a selfish dingbat Vogon-child, and put you all through six fresh kinds of hell, but could I please come home?" Nope: "Mom, Dad, I wanna go home."

Because at the end of the day, it's still all about her.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Psst ... I hear even Glenn's therapist occasionally calls him "Other Bucky," so don't feel too bad.

Was it too much to expect that Maddie should at least attempt an apology? I guess it was. I was thinking that when Deacon brought to the concert venue she might say something like, "Hey, Mom, Dad: I'm sorry I acted like a selfish dingbat Vogon-child, and put you all through six fresh kinds of hell, but could I please come home?" Nope: "Mom, Dad, I wanna go home."

Because at the end of the day, it's still all about her.

Agreed about Maddie.  One way that I always remembered which was Bucky and which was Glenn was to look at their hair.  The guy with hair went with Juliette, and the guy with little to no hair went with Rayna.

• Love 2

I wish I could say I came up with this a long time ago and used it to keep Glenn and Bucky straight, but I only just came up with it. Maybe the show will be saved and I'll get to use it. Glenn wears the wig, like George on Seinfeld did that one time. They both start with G.

giphy.gif

Of course, Glenn should stop wearing the wig, because he looked better without it.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Speaking of crazy-asses, Layla's nutty ways finally blow up in her face.  Once again, she tries to destroy Juliette, but this time, she overreaches, and now both Glen and Avery are done with her.  Thank goodness.  Yes, Juliette has been awful a lot of times on this show, but Layla takes it to another level.  I really think she's crazy.  At least with Juliette, I feel like her asshole behavior is at the surface and that's all it would be.  But Layla?  I think she is capable of doing something truly horrible.  So, that's why it's never been a contest for me (not to mention Hayden just being a way better actress then Aubrey Peeples.)  Layla is the worst.

But they still gave Layla the happy ending & sent Juliette off into limbo.

(edited)

Crayla's alone: she fired (or was dropped by, really) her manager, she torched her relationship with Avery, she's not touring. Her single's charting well. That's it. I don't call that much of a happy ending.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 7
(edited)

As series finales go, this was better than expected but still not "perfect." For one thing, it felt rushed, but given the cancellation, it's no surprise. While I may not have posted on every episode, I sure watched them and I'm gonna miss it. When Nashville worked, it was great, but when it didn't, it sucked like a hooker on payday. One of the main reasons for that was Maddie.

Edited by DollEyes
To add stuff.
  • Love 4

Here's what I don't get. Read the article about the studio head's explanation of why they went with the cliffhanger. He claimed that this was how they always envisioned it-- that it was always in their plan. If so, then why film alternate endings at all? And didn't they have other cliffhangers that they filmed concerning Will and (not sure-probably someone here knows)-- Scarlett and Gunnar? IF that were the case, and they really wanted to leave the fans wanting more, why not go with all the cliffhangers? Just seemed odd that they only left the Juliette/Avery storyline hanging. I admit they are my favorites- so I guess I am not very objective here- but I disagree when he implied in the article that not everyone wants a sweet happy ending (or something like that). Well I did. I think when fans stay with a show- despite how bad it's gotten- and root for these characters- they should respect the fans instead of trying to manipulate them.

At least they finally ended the miserable Maddie storyline. That was horribly done but at least it's over.

If they do bring Nashville back on some other platform, hope they relegate the daughters to just singing/background characters. Hope they also just get rid of Layla-- or put her as recurring as well- and same for Will Chase/Luke. If I recall, the thirtysomething guys - on all the shows they have done-- seem to prefer to focus only on about 6-8 characters with longer, dialogue -driven scenes. At first thought they were an odd fit for this show-- but if all they key actors stay on board- hoping the show gets to its potential. They sure underachieve this last year.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, MusicCityFan said:

Here's what I don't get. Read the article about the studio head's explanation of why they went with the cliffhanger. He claimed that this was how they always envisioned it-- that it was always in their plan. If so, then why film alternate endings at all? And didn't they have other cliffhangers that they filmed concerning Will and (not sure-probably someone here knows)-- Scarlett and Gunnar? IF that were the case, and they really wanted to leave the fans wanting more, why not go with all the cliffhangers?

I'm going to guess that they decided this ending would work whether or not the series was picked up for a fifth season.  Because of the Patsy Cline irony.  The problem is, I don't think they made the ironic ending obvious enough for a majority of viewers.  Was there any mention of Patsy Cline during this show, for instance?  One of my friends who watches the show nearly every week actually forgot what Juliette's movie was even about.  

• Love 2

You always need mean, crazy people to love to hate in a show like this. If everyone was honest and good hearted, the show would be criticized for that. I didn't like Layla but she wasn't out on there for us to like. She played that part in an ensemble cast. I couldn't stand Juliette when the show started. But I sure wanted to tune in every Wednesday to see what her "crazy" ass would do next. :)

I would like if another network picked it up. It was the last nighttime show I watched on the non-cable networks. 

Will Avery turn back into Lucky Spencer again and return to GH? I hope not because he is a good actor and singer and deserves much better than that. But if he does, I'll watch him there. I like JJ. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm among those who are shocked and pleasantly surprised that Luke would become one of my favorite characters. As pissed as I was with Luke for initially abandoning Will, that's how proud I was of him for making it up to him, with a vengeance. Luke believed in Will when Will didn't believe in himself, no matter what the cost. Luke didn't let the bigots, the bullies nor the haters stop him from doing the right thing, inspiring Will and making Colt proud in the process. Will's takedown of that ignorant bitch on her own turf was epic, whether it was the protest outside her studio or the interview that followed, in which Will, by simply speaking from his heart, made her look even dumber than ever. Will's reunion with Kevin and Luke's playing Cupid were equally adorable. After all the Hell that Will went through-some of it of his own making, tbh-seeing him finally become the man he was meant to be was one of the few highlights of the finale.

Another highlight was Avery & Glenn's finally seeing the light where Layla was concerned. Contrary to Layla's opinion, Avery & Glenn weren't the fools she took them for. Juliette wasn't my favorite character, but at least she either learned or tried to learn from her mistakes, unlike Layla, who never thought she was wrong, so matter how wrong she was. Laya's jealousy of Juliette was one thing; her jealousy of Cadence was another. Cadence & Juliette were always going to be part of Avery's life forever and Layla should have respected that, whether she liked it or not, but instead, Layla chose to use Jeff's accidental death to punish Juliette, control Avery and make Cadence & Colt collateral damage, which backfired, as it should have. Avery & Glenn's putting Layla on blast at the same time (give or take a minute) was everything. While I wouldn't wish Pierce on my worst enemy, Layla's ending up alone is karmic justice, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

You always need mean, crazy people to love to hate in a show like this. If everyone was honest and good hearted, the show would be criticized for that. I didn't like Layla but she wasn't out on there for us to like.

@CreamedPeas - I have no problem with mean and/or crazy, but Layla was uninteresting.

Really Nashville? Juliette's missing in a plane crash. Of course she is as Avery and Cadence are waiting for her. Avery I love you forever for your short and sweet: "You're crazy and we're done." To Layla. It took you a little while to see the crazy but you got there. At least Juliette has wanted to take responsibility for most of her bad behavior/ things that happened while having PPD and drinking and drugging. She has definitely grown over the years. And HP is so good is why I forgive her for so much. 

Aww Maddie gets to go back to her family no problem and no apologies. So heartwarming....but not really. Also there was never any reason given to why Cash turned into a psycho. Just overlooked that part of the plot writers? Here's this girl who was halfway normal helping Maddie then on a dime turned Single White Female on a 16 year old. No explanation. GREAT! Maybe would have been okay if that wasn't the focus the last 5 episodes.

I would almost want Nashville to come back to see if I could ever like Rayna and Deacon again. Probably not though. I feel for Rayna and her situation with creepy producer guy but way to tell the whole world that story before your daughter. This could have been an example of what can happen to young women in the music industry. All of your ominous warnings about " bad things " you tried to tell Maddie fell on deaf ears because you never actually said anything concrete even with experience. As always here's  Daphne playing second string child. Get away Daphne, it's never going to change! At least she got to sing though. 

Luke you and Will became the best thing about this show. The concert outside Ann Coulter wannabes studio was great! Love seeing Kevin and him back together. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bwill3133 said:

Aww Maddie gets to go back to her family no problem and no apologies. So heartwarming....but not really. Also there was never any reason given to why Cash turned into a psycho. Just overlooked that part of the plot writers? Here's this girl who was halfway normal helping Maddie then on a dime turned Single White Female on a 16 year old. No explanation. GREAT! Maybe would have been okay if that wasn't the focus the last 5 episodes.

I can live without the explanation of Cash's motives because that would mean more Cash on my tv and I would prefer that not happen.

And the Maddie reunion felt right to me in that moment - all hugs, I love you's, smiles, relief that everyone is okay...the explanations and talkin' to come later.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I can live without the explanation of Cash's motives because that would mean more Cash on my tv and I would prefer that not happen.

And the Maddie reunion felt right to me in that moment - all hugs, I love you's, smiles, relief that everyone is okay...the explanations and talkin' to come later.

It just didn't move me because the only member of that family I like is Daphne.  Had this gone on to season 5 ,I wholeheartedly believe Maddie would continue to be coddled as if nothing had happened. 

• Love 3

Random thoughts...

I was very slightly spoiled, so when I heard “plane” and “Cadence” early in the show, I panicked. 

So. Much. Makeup!  And only a 16 year old would selfie during what is pretty much a business meeting. 

Last week bandage, this week big freakin’ hat. Kid really didn’t want to cut his hair for this role. 

As with many things on this show, when they are not moving things too slowly, they go too fast: Last week: Will hiding in his house. This week: Will stormin’ the beaches. Kudos on his amazing response to that hateful talk show host - it was wonderfully heartfelt and masterfully used the personal - "I'm a good man, a good son" - to frame the universal. 

Layla - ME! ME! ME! Everybody stop what you are doing and worship ME! And if she rolls her eyes any harder they’re going to fall out of her head. 

This is the first time The Exes’ manager seemed honestly concerned about his clients’ personal wellbeing. 

Way to read a room, Autumn. Although I bet little Miss Bulldozer has never concerned herself with noticing other people’s feelings. 

“Want something to drink” uh-oh… Seriously, teenagers, step away from the Snapchat and check out the news every now and then. 

How did Rayna phrase it - going old school by writing a letter - I figured she meant an e-mail, but in my day, children, you wrote a letter on actual paper.  Tell us more, Grandma...

“I just fired Glen” The truth distortion field around that girl is endless.

I didn’t realize how invested I was in ScarGun until I found myself rewinding their kiss 5 times.

If I recall, the thirtysomething guys - on all the shows they have done-- seem to prefer to focus only on about 6-8 characters with longer, dialogue -driven scenes.

Which might be tricky, as it seems to me the scenes in Nashville were ofter very short, and at times nearly choppy, with only a few lines then on to to the next. But sign me up for fewer characters. Did the writers just run out of ideas to explore the great characters they did have, and that's why they kept adding new people to fill up the time?

• Love 2

If there was going to be a season 5 for sure, I never would have accepted or enjoyed that ending for Rayna/Deacon/Maddie/Daphne! It was way to quick, for all the crap Maddie did. And as for Cash's motives, there just wasn't enough time to put it in this episode. If these are the last minutes of Nashville we ever get, I really do not want any more seconds spent on Cash. And considering there is no guarantee we will ever get back Nashville, I'm okay with it. I needed to see the hugs and the love. The talks can come later, which I assume they are going to happen. And if we get a s5, I imagine Maddie's life is going to be a lot harder this time around. Perhaps we will see her struggle, just not with Crazy Cash to lead her.

The only cliffhanger that was acceptable to me would have been the Plane disappearing. Because I can imagine it being found a few seconds later. Honestly, the conversation Juliette & Avery had on/before the plane to me was more touching then them actually reuniting in person. I would have preferred no cliffhanger, but I get Lionsgate intention if they are trying to sell it to another network. If everything was tided up too neatly, there would be no incentive. But now there is incentive. Every happy ending that was given can easily be undone.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, MaryM47 said:

Which might be tricky, as it seems to me the scenes in Nashville were ofter very short, and at times nearly choppy, with only a few lines then on to to the next. But sign me up for fewer characters. Did the writers just run out of ideas to explore the great characters they did have, and that's why they kept adding new people to fill up the time?

But back in the olden days of S1 it wasn't like that. It only became that way when more characters were added, and then more yet were added, to the point that all the dialogue ended up on the editing room floor. And frankly, the editors shouldn't work in TV ever again.

• Love 2