Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E09: Week 9

• Start Topic

There are no surprises in the F3.  Wanya  performed well but you could tell he didn't have a large enough DWTS fanbase because they put him in jeopardy a few times.  Antonio waited too long to show effort.  By the time he got around to it (and he wasn't so great that you had to back him), people already had their favorites. 

If you go by dance ability, Paige would win hands down.  I normally like Mark's choreography anyway but he's been exceptional this season.  And Paige was able to convey his vision really well.  But I think everyone knew that she would have a small DWTS fanbase.  I really think Mark's choreography kept her in.  Ginger was in regardless of Val's choreography.  Nyle was in as long as he didn't fall down or miss a large portion of the routine (BTW, it was smart of Peta to use the gimmicks on routines she knew Nyle would have problems because people would talk about the gimmick instead of his dancing).  Paige had to be very good to great each week or else she would've been gone.  I would like for Paige to win.  She had abilities when she came to the show but she has grown so much as well.  But I can see why people would vote for Nyle.  He really hasn't improved throughout the season (to me) but it is remarkable what he was able to achieve.  I know his other senses are more heightened but you really need to hear and feel the music to be a good dancer.  I can see why people would choose Ginger.  She really was juggling a lot of balls.  She didn't harp on it.  She just did her best.

Someone had stated something like the judges don't truly influence the outcome.  I kind of agree because lately they've followed the viewers.  They use the first couple of weeks to plant their preference.  But if the audience falls in love with a celeb who wasn't on their radar, they alter their comments and just work to put their other preferences in the finals.  Sometimes, it doesn't work.  The only time I think they had a real agenda was during Brooke's season.  She was the only one to get perfect marks during her season.  I'm not saying that he didn't deserve it, but toward the end of the season they made sure that Warren's scores were low. They wouldn't do that now.  And of course Brooke assumed the co-host duties for DWTS.  Alphonso did get AFV but he was already doing game shows.  Besides, he brought a humongous fanbase with him.  It was up to him not to mess it up.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I really don't want to get bogged back down into the whole Bindi/TPTB saga but I think she is a perfect example of the whole chicken and the egg thing. So many wanted to be convinced that the show was pushing her because of some agenda and maybe what it was is that Bindi had the viewer support and fans so the producers went where the voters were.

This notion of some big plans for Bindi pursuing some kind of fame that the producers were pimping her for or whatever always seemed to be more of people's own conspiracy and need to spin stuff about whoever they weren't rooting for. Bindi never gave any impression that she had any plans to do anything but go back to Australia and her animals, once the show was over. 

Bindi was the clear favorite of TPTB right from the start.  Week 1, week 2, she was put at the top of the leader board and pretty much stayed there. Judges comments were pretty much about how wonderful she was and was seldom, if ever, actually critiqued.  (Maybe a teensy, tiny suggestion here & there?).  She was being sold to the viewers as the greatest contestant ever right from the start. So which is chicken, which is egg, I've no idea.  It appeared to me the decision to pimp her was made before even the 1st show of the season.  I assumed she had some project for ABC in the works and all would be revealed at or just after the finale.  Either what ever was in the works (if anything) folded or possibly there is still something in the works.  Projects take time sometimes and her season ended only 6 months ago.

She's in LA now for a fundraiser this weekend in her Dad's memory in support of her Australian zoo. (google: Steve Irwin Gala if interested).  I think Derek will show up and Tom Bergeron is hosting.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Uke said:

Bindi was the clear favorite of TPTB right from the start.  Week 1, week 2, she was put at the top of the leader board and pretty much stayed there. Judges comments were pretty much about how wonderful she was and was seldom, if ever, actually critiqued.  (Maybe a teensy, tiny suggestion here & there?).  She was being sold to the viewers as the greatest contestant ever right from the start. So which is chicken, which is egg, I've no idea.  It appeared to me the decision to pimp her was made before even the 1st show of the season.  I assumed she had some project for ABC in the works and all would be revealed at or just after the finale. 

She's in LA now for a fundraiser this weekend in her Dad's memory in support of her Australian zoo. (google: Steve Irwin Gala if interested).  I think Derek will show up and Tom Bergeron is hosting.

You hit the nail on the head.

I'm disappointed that Wanya's out, I was rooting for Z-pac too.

Aw... Z-Pac. I loved his nickname for Lindsay. That's awesome. 

That reminds me again how much I liked Wanya, and I'm bummed all over again. I wish he'd made it to the finals. I really wanted to see him make it that far.

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, Uke said:

Bindi was the clear favorite of TPTB right from the start.  Week 1, week 2, she was put at the top of the leader board and pretty much stayed there. Judges comments were pretty much about how wonderful she was and was seldom, if ever, actually critiqued.  (Maybe a teensy, tiny suggestion here & there?).  She was being sold to the viewers as the greatest contestant ever right from the start. So which is chicken, which is egg, I've no idea.  It appeared to me the decision to pimp her was made before even the 1st show of the season.  I assumed she had some project for ABC in the works and all would be revealed at or just after the finale.  Either what ever was in the works (if anything) folded or possibly there is still something in the works.  Projects take time sometimes and her season ended only 6 months ago.

I'm not sure about Derek, but Mark and his fiancee are supposed to sing. Olivia Newton John will be there. 

Thoughts on contestants for week 9.

2a. Ginger & Val - it's nice to see the hard work pay off for the couple. For their paso doble, liked the skirtwork at the beginning and her convincing, sultry moment with Artem at the top. Agree that as soon as the music picked up, she lost a bit of the finesse with her skirtwork and the shaping of her body; though it was an intense number, thought Ginger nonetheless coped well with the dance. For her quickstep, thought Ginger was refreshingly light on her feet and that she did a nice job eating up the floor space. It was a tight performance with a mix of speed/control and thought the couple was well in tune with the music. Think Ginger may have gotten a bit excited with the performance at the top (as she was flapping her left arm in hold), and would've loved to see her let loose and give herself permission to clap with some more freedom (like Val) out of hold. Despite not carrying out the jump in the jete section, thought the performance overall was an improvement from her foxtrot. Think Ginger improved a lot and that she must of undergone a lot of difficult, mentally-taxing training/experiences, in order to achieve the improvements in her dances the last few weeks. Hope to see the continued progress moving forward into next week and think she should feel great about the dances she displayed thus far.

1b. Nyle & Peta - it was a nice storyline and thought Nyle played the unsuspecting, cheating boyfriend well. Liked the nostalgic production, outfits and how the trio used the floor after moving off stage. Thought Nyle made a nice effort at the top to dance solo on his own. Given his height and long limbs, wished Nyle could've moved his weight forward so that he was on the balls of his feet; feel this would've helped him with stronger, crisper kicks/flicks as his legs seemed a bit loose. Nonetheless for his Argentine tango, enjoyed the intimate setting and thought he did a nice job leading the dance and partnering Peta. Branching off, still think there's potential and an opportunity for the couple to make it to the end. Though a similar cha-cha, tango or waltz-like performance didn't materialize up to this point (imo), the couple may still be a dance away from opening a floodgate of emotions. Irrespective of what may/may not happen, would certainly be happy if the couple won and that Nyle would be deserving of the accolades. It was a pleasure watching him on the show.

1b. Paige & Mark - it was fun to watch an inquisitive, self-assured Paige morph into a lively, animated character at the top, being instinctually driven and moved by an indigenous samba beat. Liked the bounce action/feel, clever botofogo sequence and the section where Paige subtly drew in and teased a sliding Alan and Mark towards her good charms. Though the sandwiched samba roll may have been a bit awkward, so much were the trio immersed into the performance, that it was nice to see the entranced audience greet the mating ritual with a spontaneous, tribal clapping of their own. Thought the concept and dance style fused well in the number and liked how all their feathers continued to fan towards the end. As for their Argentine tango, it was like a game of seduction and it started in Paige's eyes at the moments close of the shutters. Thought the performance had a modern, sophisticated, don't-touch-what-you-can't-afford feel to the dance. It was nice to see Paige lean into Mark, how she was able to respond well to Mark's lead and how the overall moves themselves felt improvised. From her nonchalant head tilt off the sofa to the hidden lip curl, thought Paige embodied the evening mistress well.

Congratulations to the winner of season 22 Dancing with the Stars and wishing them the very best moving forward. Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a "hot mess." There were definitely parts that looked sloppy and unpolished. But there were some very good steps in there too. I think the choreo was overly ambitious and throwing in an extra partner just made it more challenging for Nyle. I think there are limits to what he can reasonably do.

If you have to look for the good steps of a bad dance, then it was just a bad dance.  If it was overly ambitious keep it simple.  The problem is he's gone as far as he can about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The only thing that keeps him in are creative ways to hide most of what he can't do.  He has been inspiration, great. But he has limitations and it seems the show and his fans are not willing to acknowledge it.  This is why he will win.  The season that JR Martinez won he was inspiring as all get out since he was a hero and lost all hearing in one ear in addition to his terrible face disfigurement. He was getting votes regardless of how he danced since he had a poor finale due to getting an injury during the competition. But that is forgivable, because the man could dance all styles and proved himself during the competition. 

Edited by RedFiat

At this point, Ginger seems like distant 3rd place material, because what kind of choreography can Val give her that isn't going to come across as completely bland and generic? Her Beauty and the Beast dance was probably her most interesting dance to watch, and that had everything to do with Val's choreography and the production value. You could insert any pretty brunette dancer in there, and it would have had the same wow factor, she didn't bring anything special to the dance. When she has been called upon to bring a particular personality or flair to a dance (like Janet Jackson's Nasty), it has come across as lackluster. I can't think of a particular dance that she has shined in.

Paige is interesting to watch, both because of Mark's excellent choreography and sometimes in spite of it. Her freestyle is the one that I am looking forward to the most, because I know the two of them will pull out all the stops and just go for it.

Whoever said upthread that Peta pulls out the gimmicks on weeks when she knows Nyle is going to struggle nailed it. Peta knows how to play this game, and she is playing it well. Nyle's freestyle should be interesting, but I predict that he will struggle a bit. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, mstar1125 said:

Whoever said upthread that Peta pulls out the gimmicks on weeks when she knows Nyle is going to struggle nailed it. Peta knows how to play this game, and she is playing it well. Nyle's freestyle should be interesting, but I predict that he will struggle a bit. 

Peta's competing against the ringeriest ringer ever on the show and a woman who is being pimped on international levels. What choice does she have? Nyle is good, but he needs more than dance ability to win, so she is smart to capitalize on his appeal. I hope he wins.

• Love 4

I am disgusted that Ginger was pimped and overscored into the finals.  I mean really??  She is a fair dancer, but not an outstanding dancers.  Her tough and/or sexy faces are laughable.

I will not be surprised if she wins.  And other than the ABC connection, I will have no idea why.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2016 at 10:02 PM, Adeejay said:

Wow just wow.  Ginger and Paige over Wanya?  Really? 

IMHO, Ginger is not nearly as bad as many posters make her out to be. I actually think she is a very good, not great, dancer. I'm glad she is in the finals.

Paige is, IMHO, the best dancer of this cast and has been from week one. She most certainly deserves to be in the finals. I will be voting for Paige to win but I have no doubt Nyle will take it.

As for Wanya....he peaked a few weeks ago. Again, IMHO, Wanya is an entertainer who is used to putting on a show. I never warmed to his dancing which looks to me like a boy bander doing moves he is very much used to performing. I honestly don't see any ballroom or Latin technique form Wanya.

The final three are my picks. America got it right!

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

IMHO, Ginger is not nearly as bad as many posters make her out to be. I actually think she is a very good, not great, dancer. I'm glad she is in the finals.

Paige is, IMHO, the best dancer of this cast and has been from week one. She most certainly deserves to be in the finals. I will be voting for Paige to win but I have no doubt Nyle will take it.

As for Wanya....he peaked a few weeks ago. Again, IMHO, Wanya is an entertainer who is used to putting on a show. I never warmed to his dancing which looks to me like a boy bander doing moves he is very much used to performing. I honestly don't see any ballroom or Latin technique form Wanya.

The final three are my picks. America got it right!

No they didn't. smh.

• Love 1

I hope Alan and Paige really are dating, because they are cute together. (And I can't believe I just said something nice about mugging, focus-pulling Alan, who I normally would like to punch in the throat.)

• Love 2

In Wanya's defense, his ballroom had some technique. His posture was way better than Nyle's. His Latin technique needed to be more precise. Really his partner did all she could for him - interesting choreo, some difficulty etc. He had to rise to the occasion much more than he started with but didn't quite achieve that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Disappointed to see Wanya go. He was the last of my faves, and I really wanted to see him in the final. The three finalists are fine, they're just not my favorites. I would be fine with either Paige or Nyle winning. Ginger winning would be a disappointment because I don't think she's that good a  dancer and because of the aforementioned pimpage issues.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4

Wanya is an entertainer who is used to putting on a show. I never warmed to his dancing which looks to me like a boy bander doing moves he is very much used to performing. I honestly don't see any ballroom or Latin technique form Wanya.

I agree. He's obviously got musicality  or rhythm or whatever you want to call it - he's a musician. But his body type doesn't lend itself to some of the classic ballroom styles and he sometimes looks ungainly.

I think Ginger is a very proficient dancer, but she has no Wow factor. I'd still put her ahead of Wanya but I never really warmed up to either of them. I just never found anything particularly engaging about either one of them.

Can we talk about Paige's "sob story?" So, she became a varsity cheerleader when she was a high school freshman, some of the older girls didn't like it so they picked on her. Threw garbage at her. And, her parents moved to Reno just so she could go to another school? Huh? I hope there's more to that story. I don't mean to be dismissive about bullying, I know it's a serious problem. But - Paige was drop-dead gorgeous and a cheerleader. How badly could she have been bullied?

Another thing about Paige - whenever they show these clips of her MMA fights in a cage beating the living crap out of some other girl, my opinion of her plummets. I know not everyone feels this way, but to me, fighting for sport feels like something that evolution should have buried sometime around the middle ages. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Can we talk about Paige's "sob story?" So, she became a varsity cheerleader when she was a high school freshman, some of the older girls didn't like it so they picked on her. Threw garbage at her. And, her parents moved to Reno just so she could go to another school? Huh? I hope there's more to that story. I don't mean to be dismissive about bullying, I know it's a serious problem. But - Paige was drop-dead gorgeous and a cheerleader. How badly could she have been bullied?

That bugged me as well. I know none of us know her story, but it sounded pretty exaggerated. Same with Ginger's. She just decided not to eat? That's not how anorexia works. It's a mental illness and most people who have it don't know what comes over them, and they can't control it. I just thought they stretched it with those two and made light out of two very tragic problems. 

I'm sure they struggled and I don't mean to make light out of anyone's problems, but it sounded like the usual BS.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 2

It wouldn't surprise me if this is a somewhat creative story because Paige didn't have anything else.  At the same time, beautiful seemingly popular girls can be just as insecure or just as easily victims of mean girls as those who aren't.  Many have issues that they keep hidden. 

As for Ginger, when I turned on the TV this morning, it was set to ABC from last night and the first thing I heard was a promotion for a profile of Ginger and her eating disorder days.  THIS is what turned me off of her.  She's everywhere, and it bugs me!  

• Love 1

They do seem to be pushing Ginger more than the usual ABC tools they had in the past. I wonder why? She's a 35 year old married mother, not really the "Hollywood" type. She might be interesting to the older demographic who watches shows like GMA, Live with Kelly, etc., but she's not exactly the type who would appeal to the 18-49 demographic. Maybe they have a talk show in store for her, since she would fit that arena?

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't mean to be dismissive about bullying, I know it's a serious problem. But - Paige was drop-dead gorgeous and a cheerleader. How badly could she have been bullied?

Actually, sometimes bullying amongst the beautiful can be extremely vicious.  Some of the worst things that happened in high school happened to pretty, cheerleader types.  (Ever see a cheerleader yell, "Give me an O!" and have the loudest part of the student body shout back "Whore!" instead of O?  Yeah.  I have.)  I was a geek, and you couldn't have paid me enough money to trade places with those girls.  Of course, that was long before cyberbullying came along, so I imagine it must escalate really quickly and follow you home now.

Someone else mentioned anorexia being a mental illness, and that it doesn't work the way Ginger described.  Actually, my understanding is that it often does.  They're finding it is more common in people with certain personality types, and it is something in their life they are trying to control.  They decide to control what and how much they eat.  Of course, they aren't rational about it.  So yeah, mental illness, but also what Ginger said. :)

• Love 6
On 5/17/2016 at 3:57 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

Maks seems to be in a lot of Nyle's rehearsal clips. Can we ever get rid of him? He wanted to leave the show,,,so leave !

Heh. I'm thinking that it's more of a "my fiancee is rubbing up against the ANTM winner, who just might look better shirtless than I do. I need to stick close to the rehearsals."  

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Thadeeeyus said:

At the same time, beautiful seemingly popular girls can be just as insecure or just as easily victims of mean girls as those who aren't.  Many have issues that they keep hidden. 

I know that was the case for me at 12 and then carried on in high school. I was part of the "pretty popular" crowd until I was ostracized and even had "trash" thrown at me, too. In this case, it was crumbs from the Mean Girl Leader's lunch that she ripped off to throw at my chest. Anyway, the prettiest girls are also the meanest so I don't have a hard time believing Paige's story at all. It's also not the first time I heard it--she talked about it long before DwtS. 

Edited by anonymiss
29 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Heh. I'm thinking that it's more of a "my fiancee is rubbing up against the ANTM winner, who just might look better shirtless than I do. I need to stick close to the rehearsals."  

I dont think Maks has to worry, but Peta might.  

• Love 3
(edited)
56 minutes ago, anonymiss said:

I know that was the case for me at 12 and then carried on in high school. I was part of the "pretty popular" crowd until I was ostracized and even had "trash" thrown at me, too. In this case, it was crumbs from the Mean Girl Leader's lunch that she ripped off to throw at my chest. Anyway, the prettiest girls are also the meanest so I don't have a hard time believing Paige's story at all. It's also not the first time I heard it--she talked about it long before DwtS. 

Exactly, it is a life experience, and it really is enlightening that some find it trivial. If a family leaves town because of intense bullying that has to be alarming.  Personally,. I have more of a hard time relating to a dude who was born deaf. I cant imagine what it is like, but it is his reality and he seems to have an exceptionally good life anyway. 

Edited by RedFiat

Or he's bisexual - they do exist. Didn't Nyle mention an ex-girlfriend who I assume was the ex-girlfriend in his family/loved ones package? So why just assume then that he's gay and not just bisexual or as he calls it, "sexually fluid"?

• Love 6

I'm going to start giving time outs for arguing. Challenging other posters is not great behavior. I would remind you AGAIN about the ignore feature. Use it well, use it A LOT. 

• Love 6

Question for you, radishcake, if you would please provide a clarification ruling on this for future reference - is someone's sexuality something that is allowed in a thread? Shouldn't it be about the episode and the dancing? (If anything, comments about such a personal topic might belong more in the specific star's thread?)

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think think a family changes its name (Paige's father was captioned as VanZant and not Sletten, so it's not just her stage...uh, fighting name) and moves to another state because a bunch of girls were mean to a cheerleader. Really?

It probably has more to do with the brother she mentioned in the package. Apparently he's a convicted child molester. I'd change my name and move too if I had someone like that in the family, and I'd yank my child out of the mother's dance studio so fast she'd be turning pirouettes for a couple of hours.

Paige isn't to blame for her brother's crimes, but her story wasn't very plausible. If you're going to lie to several million people, at least put some effort into it.

Paige's story was completely plausible to me.  I can totally believe and empathize with her.  Just because she was a pretty girl and cheerleader does not mean that other girls could not be cruel to her, especially some older girl who felt that Paige, as a Freshman, took her spot on the squad.  I remember a girl leaving our high school when she did not make Varsity her Junior year after being on the squad as a Sophomore.

Poor Paige, what should have been a joyful time in her life was ruined by a bunch of mean, hateful girls.

• Love 1

Teenagers are especially vulnerable to bullying. The effects of bullying can sometimes never be reversed.  When Paige said she went to a dark place during that time in high school it really made me shudder for her. I am so glad her parents were there for her and she could go to them for help. I invite you to watch a short multi award winning film  Ronan's Escape. I never felt the same way about bullying again.

As a disclosure this film has an unhappy ending.  I give this as a spoiler because it is a powerful message but it may trigger an emotional response.

On May 18, 2016 at 0:34 AM, babyhouseman said:

I'm not sure about Derek, but Mark and his fiancee are supposed to sing. Olivia Newton John will be there. 

Olivia is co-hosting with Tom. And the gala apparently also benefits the Wildlife Warriors, which is the animal conservation group Steve Irwin, if not Steve & Terri Irwin, founded that's connected to Australia Zoo.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Shayol said:

I don't think think a family changes its name (Paige's father was captioned as VanZant and not Sletten, so it's not just her stage...uh, fighting name) and moves to another state because a bunch of girls were mean to a cheerleader. Really?

It probably has more to do with the brother she mentioned in the package. Apparently he's a convicted child molester. I'd change my name and move too if I had someone like that in the family, and I'd yank my child out of the mother's dance studio so fast she'd be turning pirouettes for a couple of hours.

Paige isn't to blame for her brother's crimes, but her story wasn't very plausible. If you're going to lie to several million people, at least put some effort into it.

I had no idea that happened but it only adds to the credibility of her claim of being severely bullied. When she talked about it on The MMA Hour she said to the effect of, "Something...happened to me and the other girls found out." I remember thinking maybe she was alluding to an abortion or something like that but now this makes much more sense.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Another thing about Paige - whenever they show these clips of her MMA fights in a cage beating the living crap out of some other girl, my opinion of her plummets. I know not everyone feels this way, but to me, fighting for sport feels like something that evolution should have buried sometime around the middle ages. 

I feel the same. I talked to my Dad about this a little bit. He said he had watched a MMA fight a few years ago, to see what it is about, and he couldn't believe it is legal. Seriously could not believe it's legal for people to do that to one another.  I read up on MMA, too:  In Ireland a few weeks ago, a crowd watched and cheered as one man beat another to death (he died a couple of days after the fight, having been in intensive care, but they were unable to save him from the injuries suffered in the cage).  I hope that Paige can develop opportunities from DWTS that don't involve fighting. She is beautiful and very talented, and I would hope for her that she will have all her brain powers intact when she is 50. She needs to stop subjecting herself to traumatic brain injuries on a regular basis, and doing the same to others. 

Paige and Mark are my favorite dance couple in the finals. She is a terrific dancer, and I always love Mark's creativity. But I have to disregard her day job in order to enjoy her dancing. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Woodrose said:

I feel the same. I talked to my Dad about this a little bit. He said he had watched a MMA fight a few years ago, to see what it is about, and he couldn't believe it is legal. Seriously could not believe it's legal for people to do that to one another.  I read up on MMA, too:  In Ireland a few weeks ago, a crowd watched and cheered as one man beat another to death (he died a couple of days after the fight, having been in intensive care, but they were unable to save him from the injuries suffered in the cage).  I hope that Paige can develop opportunities from DWTS that don't involve fighting. She is beautiful and very talented, and I would hope for her that she will have all her brain powers intact when she is 50. She needs to stop subjecting herself to traumatic brain injuries on a regular basis, and doing the same to others. 

Paige and Mark are my favorite dance couple in the finals. She is a terrific dancer, and I always love Mark's creativity. But I have to disregard her day job in order to enjoy her dancing. 

Combat sports are not for everyone, but it's insulting when people who admittedly know nothing about it, assume it's only for the uncivilized ("haven't we evolved past this?") or immoral. You can't believe martial arts are legal? MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts so these are not random hooligans brawling on each other. They are martial artists putting their years of training and discipline on display in a fully regulated sport, whether it be karate, taekwondo, muay thai, judo, wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, (kick)boxing, etc. Witnessing their athletic prowess is as admirable as it would be for any sport. And they are fully sanctioned and regulated by the same commissions as boxing with referees and medical staff for every fight. 

As for the tragic death of a fighter in Ireland, it's important to note he was competing in a small, inexperienced new promotion. Paige competes in the leading promotion, the UFC, which, thanks to their standards, has never had a death or serious injury. By contrast, there have been numerous tragedies that occur in beloved sports such as football, soccer...even cheerleading. I do agree about getting out early, though. Most like to retire by 35. Thanks to no standing count in MMA--unlike boxing--it's safer in regards to brain trauma.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 3

Whomever wins, this champion will be, at best, slightly above the average.  I'd potentially rate Paige better than average (that last AT was quite something), but Nyle has not progressed much.  Ginger would definitely be among the weakest winners.

For me, I completely see Paige as having walked the "hero walk" which is a first principle of the show:  Who grew the most?  From a purely dance standpoint, she has not enjoyed the greatest improvement.  However, I am certain her emotional growth, which did directly translate to her dancing, was immense. 

Her package talked about how she couldn't handle the mean girls and was moved far away.  She did not figure out how to deal with her rivals.  She avoided that personal growth.  As ridiculously pretty as she was, it's not like she was an Igor.  She never discovered who she could be by facing the monster in front of her.  She fled.

This show presented another monster:  Showing vulnerability.  Somehow, she figured out she would come out stronger on the other side by releasing an intimate piece of herself (her sexy, or if you prefer, her feminine side).  Did you see her face after that AT?  She was internalizing a victory greater than any she will ever know inside a fight ring.  She defeated her greatest foe:  Herself.

I think the correct final three were chosen.  I much prefer watching Wanya, but dude absolutely faltered too much and Ginger was as steady as it gets.  She earned the spot.  

• Love 2

As a longtime fan of both DWTS and the UFC, I want to shed some light on Paige's athletic background. I know many here are not fans of fighting. But Paige is one of those "only in 2016" stories that shatters a lot of stereotypes about women and dancers.

Most UFC fighters don't even begin training MMA (cage fighting) until they already have years of martial arts experience. Ronda Rousey, for example, was an Olympian in Judo.

Paige jumped straight from dancing/cheerleading into cage fighting. Within two years, she was the youngest fighter in the UFC. To put that into context, imagine Witney leaving DWTS for soccer and making the Women's World Cup in 2019. It's a really unique transition.

Paige's fighting style is almost the opposite of her image as a pretty dancer. What she lacks in technique and experience, she makes up for in pure toughness. She has inhuman pain tolerance, is constantly aggressive and truly loves to fight. She doesn't come into the ring with an intense face or mean-mugging like her peers-- she is smiling like the happiest girl in the world. 

She really won over UFC fans in her last fight, which was her only loss. Her opponent (another beautiful badass named Rose Namajunas) outclassed her and beat her bloody. But Paige never stopped coming and didn't quit even as her arm was almost snapped in half. After the fight, the two embraced, and Rose actually appeared in one of Paige's DWTS packages this week wishing her well. These women are respectful athletes. (Well, except for Ronda).

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I just think it's really cool that a gorgeous dancer is excelling in a brutal sport because of her toughness. It says a lot about the sport of dancing and the athleticism and mental strength that it requires to succeed. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

Question for you, radishcake, if you would please provide a clarification ruling on this for future reference - is someone's sexuality something that is allowed in a thread? Shouldn't it be about the episode and the dancing? (If anything, comments about such a personal topic might belong more in the specific star's thread?)

The contestant's sexuality is fine for discussion in reference to comments that the contestants make. I agree that the discussions should take place in the contestants thread. Any questions please PM me! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 17/05/2016 at 10:30 AM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Did anyone get the sense it could be Ginger as one of the eliminations tonight? Some of the comments - especially Tom's - seemed like he was saying good-bye.

Perhaps Tom wants her out. ;)

Aw at Tom though getting a bit choked up! He's right that it's anyone's to win. Hopefully not Ginger's though.

Edited by marriedaniac
  • Love 1
(edited)

Perhaps Tom wants her out. ;)

Aw at Tom though getting a bit choked up! He's right that it's anyone's to win. Hopefully not Ginger's though.

I wanted Ginger out weeks ago.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 1
On 5/17/2016 at 0:35 PM, sinkwriter said:

....... Mark's a lot of things (and that ponytail / man-bun is driving me up a wall, LOL), but he is a very creative choreographer and I've enjoyed his partnership with Paige.

Not to mention all the tats. I'm not a fan.

I am a lover not a fighter but when I read about Paige's accomplishments it is pretty impressive.  Having said that I don't watch the sport. I really don't like to watch people pummel each other. And I certainly agree about  concussions. My husband played semi-pro football and got out because he got his bell rung a couple of times. Very tough sport, although I'm a fan. 

• Love 1
(edited)

To be more on topic, dance itself is very hard on the body.  There's a reason Karina's now the old lady.

Honestly, sometimes you just have to realize that a person is not only what they do.  I hate boxing and MMA, but that's Paige's choice.  I wouldn't watch a Real Housewives show if you paid me, but I'll recognize that NeNe had some real natural rhythm.  I like Nascar, but Michael Waltrip could not dance. At all.  Oh, God, was that horrible to watch.  So just let it go and watch the dancing, I say!

Edited by radishcake
removed quote to hidden post
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Paige and Mark's tango was FIRE. I can't believe Lenovo docked them a point because it was too hot. Isn't AT supposed to be hot?

I think he takes the blush test. If it makes him blush he knocks a point. I'd like to know how he thought grabbing his crotch on that silly trio dance was fine but Paige and Mark weren't okay dancing.

• Love 2

Paige and Wanye were the two I most wanted to see do freestyles, so I'm disappointed that Wanye got voted off the island.  Wanye would have knocked himself out to put on an unforgettable show for the finale, and he was capable of doing it too.

I'm glad Paige made it to the end, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Mark pull out all the stops to match his partner's abilities.  As far as this episode goes, I thought their samba was fantastic, and their Argentine tango was brilliantly choreographed and exceptionally well danced.  Stupid Len. 

I'm dreading Nyle's and Peta's freestyle.  I started out this season liking Nyle (who I'd never heard of before), but he hasn't worn well with me over time.  To me, of the top 5 contestants, Nyle was the one who's shown the least improvement.  Actually, he's shown no improvement, comparing unfavorably (in terms of improvement from EP 1 until now) even to Antonio once he decided to put in the effort.   I won't enjoy watching yet another dance with Nyle's shitty hunched up posture, his butt stuck out, and the 2 feet of space between his and Peta's pelvises during close hold.  His attitude and demeanor (not just the Val comments) really started to bug me too, reminding me of someone's little brother constantly poking them just to be annoying.

Ginger's an okay dancer, though without nearly the ability or charisma of Wanye.  There were at least two or three eliminated contestants I would have rather watched in the finale than Ginger.  She bores the snot out of me, and I find myself watching mostly Val the whole time they're dancing.  Speaking of Val, he's been dancing exceptionally well this season, maybe to compensate for his partner's lack of personality and the total absence of chemistry between the two of them. 

Paige and Mark for the win, please. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Paige and Mark's tango was FIRE. I can't believe Len docked them a point because it was too hot. Isn't AT supposed to be hot?

I was so glad that they did the trio dances first and then the individual couple dances. The Paige-Alan stuff was actually getting on my nerves and I wanted the focus to be more on Paige and Mark as a team and their chemistry. I think their AT did the trick!

Also, I'm glad Mark had a black tank on underneath the white shirt. I think it was a more sophisticated choice and IMO, going bare-chested would have been over the top and ruin the tone they set with the dance.

• Love 3