Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E09: Week 9

• Start Topic

Wow, I wasn't expecting Mark and Paige to get there.  Congrats team.  Sorry that Wanye is not there - Ginger should have went.  Nyle will win this thing, but he's far from the best dancer.  At least I'll be watching a great freestyle from Mark and Paige.  

• Love 7

Annoyed that Ginger robbed Wanya of his spot. PISSED that Antonio and Wanya didn't even get to say goodbye.

I think Paige can win this if Mark can pull off one hell of a freestyle. I think Nyle is behind the eight ball for this.  

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Stitsch said:

How in the ever living freak did Ginger stay over Wanya? Unbelievable. If she makes it over Paige...

Wanya fell last week I honestly think thats why he was eliminated it was just the worst time for him to fall. Oh well.  Nyle or Paige for the win please! Nyle gets all my votes 

ABC: The deaf guy is going to dance while wearing a blindfold! SO AMAZE! MUCH WOW!

*proceeds to dance for 3.6 seconds while blindfolded*

It didn't even bring Carrie Ann to tears! What the hell? I had so many good "Carrie Ann cries again" jokes ready to go!

• Love 3

Fantastic, though, that both Wanya and Antonio both get to go out on fantastic dances.  I don't have any hateration for Ginger, and I don't buy the ABC conspiracy theory.  I think she dances very well and she seems like a nice person.  

Honestly, I would love to see Nyle and Peta dance in silence for two minutes. 

And, I want Mark to go BSC with his choreo for Paige, because she can handle it.  I'm actually looking forward to the final. I think it'll be great

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

Not surprised they sent the two  African-American contestants home.

So they should have kept the football guy who couldn't really dance compared to the rest of them because of his skin colour? IMO there's an argument for Wanye to stay over Ginger because he's more entertaining but the football guy has held on for far too long. Dude didn't even start trying until like two weeks ago!

• Love 6

I'm so glad we were treated to Paige, Alan, and Erin giggling like high schoolers about dating drama for a good three minutes that could have been used to let Wanya and Antonio say good-bye.

• Love 23
(edited)

I thought Nyle was really stompy and off-balance in the flicks he did between Peta's legs in the AT. He just seemed really unsure of himself there. It was smart of Peta to use the blindfold because if he pulled that off reasonably well (which I thought he did) no way it wasn't getting a 30. 

Super sad to see Wanya go. He was my favorite all season- just so joyful and full of pizzazz. Was really looking forward to what he and Lindsay would do for a freestyle.

Paige was absolutely shocked that they made it through. I thought she, Mark, and Alan were adorable and dance the crap out of that samba.

Ginger Zzzzzz...

Edited by sab85
  • Love 6

Ginger's white panties in that trio - did I have to see that? NO.  So why did I?

Wish it had been Ginger and Antonio to go, but 1 out of 2 isn't bad and I really like Paige, so shrug.

Mark's choreo for that AT was incredible, but his hairstyle is so distracting and makes him look podgy and unnecessarily big-nosed.  To my eyes, he was just so profoundly un-sexy it really took away from the performance for me.

I made it through a Ginger dance without ffing!

I thought the choreo for Wanye's trio was also very striking.  Lindsey and Witney made good use of their hair without descending into hairography and the red dresses were super effective.  He sure held his own.

Alan seems incapable of generating heat with a partner - he just always looks so pleased that the cameras are on him that he is unable to think about anything else.

• Love 3
(edited)

Meh pretty underwhelming finale. I don't love  either Paige or Ginger so I guess I'll pull for Nial he's at least entertaining. I'd rather have kept Wanya or Antonio over either of the remaining girls as they are both more entertaining . Ginger is a little overrated but she's ok and I just don't care for Paige even a little bit.  

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Meh pretty underwhelming finale. I don't love  either Paige or Ginger so I guess I'll pull for Nial he's at least entertaining. I'd rather have kept Wanya or Antonio over either of the remaining girls as they are both more entertaining . Ginger is a little overrated but she's ok and I just don't care for Paige even a little bit.  

I feel exactly the same way.

No. The gimmick was to take your attention away from bad technique. If you can do props and demonstrate good technique then I'm all for it. 

If the goal were to distract from bad technique, I'm fairly sure it would have been in more than ten seconds of the dance.

I was sure they wouldn't do it again. They did.

"They" didn't send anyone home. It was the public. Antonio was the weakest dancer left and shouldn't have stayed in because he's black. Wanya might have had a shot, if he didn't stumble so horribly last week.

• Love 3

Eh. I'm happy Paige is in the finale, but not that Ginger is too. I seriously do not get this admiration the judges have for her. She is a good, okay dancer, but tonight it was evident that I can't remember a single dance of hers after I watch it. That's the thing with this show, I want to remember the dances after I see them so I remember that it sparked something with me. And something about her is just... it turns me off of her as a person. 

I'm rooting for Paige, she's my favorite of the three but if she can't win than Nyle, because like I said above, I can remember at least two of his dances and Ginger is just very bland and all the same. 

• Love 12

I love Ginger at GMA and have for years and I still love her, but she didn't deserve to be in the finals.  I really DO NOT LIKE Paige.  At all. I have to admit that she really is a great dancer though, even though her personality makes me stabby.  I'm really upset about Wanye, he flat outdanced everyone else tonight and several other nights.  I think I'll skip voting for the finals-I really don't care who wins out of those 3.

• Love 3

I missed most of the show since we have really annoying company right now (sympathizes with Trixie about the feeling stabby thing), but I did catch a couple things.

Nyle still has posture issues.  I mean, he has a fantastic rear end, but it just isn't supposed to be out there.

Did Ginger make some comment that sounded like she was assuming she was making the top 2 or did I mishear that?

Also, Le Sigh at Ginger making the finals and Wanya not.  

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

A Leona Lewis sighting.

Someone to watch out for in the Fall's cast?

She's dating one of the troupe members - or so I've been told by my friend who follows that gossip.

The only person I would have truly been shocked by their elimination was Nyle so can't say I'm surprised by the elimination. Sucks for Wanya but thems the breaks sometimes. If I had to say one thing that surprised me, is that Paige got in over Antonio. Guess Mark's fans came through more than expected and maybe Paige has more fans than people think. I'm not mad by any means since she's a great dancer. Saw Ginger getting in there even though she hasn't excited or interested me once this whole season. 

None of the Trios truly wowed me. Paige's was clearly the best and I did love Mark's concept of the birds, even though it felt a little like an extension of his Samba with Sadie. But while I could tell Paige was doing the steps correctly and had good content, something about some of her movements just seemed awkward and slow to me and it stopped me from truly loving the dance. I have zero interest in Paige and Alan's whatever. Sharna and Antonio's trio was incredibly dull and uninteresting. The steps were there but considering how many amazing Argentine Tangos I've seen on this show, this was like a poor man's imitation of an Argentine Tango. And I can't even put it on Antonio because the choreography was boring. And Hayley added absolutely nothing to the dance. I also thought her moves were not nearly as sharp as some of the other Pro women I've seen perform the AT. 

Nyle's Jive was a mess. Peta choreographed a proper, fun Jive but I think that dance made it clear how important memorization and exact timing is for him because he can't hear the music. Once he went off, it was a struggle to keep it together. He tried and it had some nice moments but yeah there were at least three obvious errors and poor Peta nearly taking that face-plant was not pretty. Wanya and Lindsay's trio was okay but I felt like he really didn't do much. He basically spent most of the dance being almost a prop to Lindsay and Witney. But he sure as hell sold the character of the dance. Ginger and Val's trio - I did not care. Also, I felt like a lot of the choreography was similar to Val's other Paso trio with  Artem. However, Ginger had none of Rumer's power and technique. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

This season of DWTS has been super enjoyable for me overall but I am bummed about this crop of contestants in the finale. Paige is the best dancer of the lot but I honestly forget she is on the show other than the two minutes she is dancing. Every week. Ginger is boring and not that good. And Nyle isn't nearly as good as he's been given credit for. His dances tonight were particularly messy. That jive was a hot mess and his feet and posture were awful in the Argentine Tango even in the non-blindfolded moments. 

I laughed out loud at Maks being amazed by the attempt at the blindfold dance since he did it himself with Erin. I assume he was mostly baffled by it because of the added element of Nyle not being able to hear but in that short clip it just looked like he found the idea itself to be totally crazy which amused me. Also, is Maks just allowed to coach Nyle now as well?

erin-maksim-blindfold.jpg

• Love 4
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Wayna stumbled last week. And this week, I thought his dancing was weak compared to Ginger's. But Nyle is my favorite dancer, so I'm rooting for him. 

I can see acknowledging Wanya stumbled last week, but thinking his dancing was weak this week?  I know it's all subjective and we all see what we see, but I just really don't get it.  Sometimes I think part of the problem is that Wanya doesn't look like a typical dancer and that goes into the perception of how some people see him on the dance floor.  By no means do I think his dancing was weak in comparison to Ginger tonight.  She wasn't bad, but as usual she has zero wow factor.  What she does have is an ABC job, a popular pro, and TPTB who did everything in their power to get her into that finale.  The only silver lining is at least Paige got that far so we get a Mark freestyle.

I've said all along that Nyle would win.  With Wanya gone, Paige should win.  She's the best dancer and the closest thing to the total package, ringer or not.  But I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB do what they got to do to get Ginger that mirrorball.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 13

She's dating one of the troupe members - or so I've been told by my friend who follows that gossip.

Dennis, apparently. (Except he's the one troupe member I can't pick out of a crowd.)

1 minute ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

That's your opinion that it would have been a 6. It wasn't his best dance, but it wasn't a 6 in my book. Don't put words in people's mouths. I don't want to see the "deaf guy" win. Does Nyle have technical issues? Sure. Is he the best dancer ever? Nope. But I find his dancing far more memorable than any of Ginger or Paige's dances and he also seems like a great guy. That's why I want him to win.

This. Except I do find a lot of Paige's dances memorable. I can't remember ANY of Ginger's dances. And she gets props for an okay dance. And I like Nyle, not because he's the deaf guy. If I voted- which I haven't in years of this show, because at the end of the day, it doesn't seem like my votes matter-I would put my votes to Nyle and Paige. I don't want to see Ginger win, but I think it may be inevitable. There has never been anything in this season that told me she wasn't going to be in the final three. 

This season was kind of meh for me. No one I even really cared all that much about. I'm hoping Fall 2016 will be better. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Except I do find a lot of Paige's dances memorable. I can't remember ANY of Ginger's dances.

I don't remember a lot of Ginger's dances, but I have to ask myself, do I remember Paige's dances for Paige's dancing or do I remember Paige's dances because of Mark's themes? And most of the dances I remember are because of the theme and I don't think that's a great stick by which to measure dance ability.

I don't know. I had high hopes for the season, but ...for me it's ultimately been rather "meh" across the board. Bindi aside, I had more fun with last season.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

I take back what I said this afternoon about the blindfold being gimmicky. That tango was my favorite of Nyle and Peta's dances, I think. (But then again I'm noticing that Argentinian Tango is probably my favorite dance for everyone).  I did notice his posture being not great, he was dancing like his suspenders were too short.

Paige was awesome, I am so excited to see her in the finale.  I wish Wanya was the third finalist but two out of three isn't bad. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, McManda said:

I don't remember a lot of Ginger's dances, but I have to ask myself, do I remember Paige's dances for Paige's dancing or do I remember Paige's dances because of Mark's themes? And most of the dances I remember are because of the theme and I don't think that's a great stick by which to measure dance ability.

I don't know. I had high hopes for the season, but ...for me it's ultimately been rather "meh" across the board. Bindi aside, I had more fun with last season.

But isn't that part of the game?  A pro choreographing memorable dances?  I guess it's one thing if you are saying you don't remember how Paige danced those dances, but the pro and the choreography is just as much a part of the game, if not more, than the celebs actual dancing.  Paige is a better dancer than Ginger, but IMO she also had better and more interesting choreography/themes that are easier to remember.  Yes, I get she's got dance training.  Also Ginger couldn't do have the things Paige was given so I'm not saying it's Ginger's fault either, but the only Ginger dances I really remember were Beauty and the Beast and Nasty and the latter wasn't in a particularly good way.    

• Love 3
9 hours ago, RedFiat said:

The jive It was a 6 on a good day.  And Nyle will win not because he can't dance. It's gonna be because people fell for it. 

That comparison seems harsh.  It's not like Nyle controls his edit or that any contestant, ever, on DWTS has said, "I'm not as good as they're saying I am.  Let me point out my mistakes."

I think you can be frustrated with the judges, the viewers, TPTB..  Point out technique issues that get overlooked, sure.  I agree with you on that.  :)

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Hiacios said:

It's called contemporary and Derek has done it and won with it on DWTS over and over again! 

That wasn't contemporary.

I wish Sharna would get outside choreographers for when she has to choreograph contemporary.

But isn't that part of the game?  A pro choreographing memorable dances?  I guess it's one thing if you are saying you don't remember how Paige danced those dances, but the pro and the choreography is just as much a part of the game, if not more, than the celebs actual dancing.

Yes and no. I miss the days where I think about a dance and think "holy crap, Gilles and Cheryl killed that Argentine Tango" or "wow, Evan Lysack made amazingly great shapes with his body extensions in that rumba". Now I think "so Paige danced in a MMA style paso ... and uh, she was good?" or "Ginger's costume as Belle was pretty spot on.

• Love 5

I mean, Paige has to be  a huge component of whether the theme (and the dance) connects, right? I thought she crushed the UFC Paso, the Ice Queen Waltz, the Tina Turner Jive, her AT tonight, even going all the way back to Alan's fill in dance. To the point where she started to consistently capture my attention within the dances more than Mark did. IMO, I don't know what else she has to do... 

I understand the sentiment being conveyed. This is after all the same show and the same America that voted a guy (Noah) into the final 3 when it was abundantly clear that he physically could not actually dance. I think there has been a feeling that basically Nyle had this in the bag from the second he proved he was somewhat capable in Week 1 and Week 2. What really bugs, is he still does some of the same things wrong in the Semifinal week that he was doing back then where Paige has markedly improved and even Ginger has shown a significant improvement (minus a couple dances like the Janet Jackson one here or there). From the show's telling you'd think he experienced the same (or an even greater) growth arc as the other two finalists, when in reality his growth arc has been the smallest.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I understand the sentiment being conveyed. This is after all the same show and the same America that voted a guy (Noah) into the final 3 when it was abundantly clear that he physically could not actually dance. I think there has been a feeling that basically Nyle had this in the bag from the second he proved he was somewhat capable in Week 1 and Week 2. What really bugs, is he still does some of the same things wrong in the Semifinal week that he was doing back then where Paige has markedly improved and even Ginger has shown a significant improvement (minus a couple dances like the Janet Jackson one here or there).

This exactly. Nyle came out of the gate strong in week 1 and impressed me. But here we are 9 weeks later and he is still making the same mistakes he was making in early dances. Of all the contestants, I think he has improved the least. Paige was a strong dancer out of the gate but had issues with trust and letting go as they showed in her package tonight. She has worked to overcome that. Even Ginger has improved somewhat. But Nyle's very nice rear end still sticks way out every time he dances in hold. It's frustrating because I would have rathered that Peta work on fixing THAT this week instead of spending time choreographing around a blindfold. 

• Love 10

I got 2 of the 3 finalists right. I am surprised Paige and Mark got in over Wanya and Lindsay. Then again, though, this is about as stacked of a semifinal group as I've ever seen on the show and all of them had a good case to get into the finals. (Antonio and Wanya would have been slam-dunks to make the final in many other seasons.)

I think Nyle is going to take the mirrorball. He's got the trifecta: eye candy, inspirational backstory, and can dance.

• Love 3

For everybody saying that Nyle will win it. smh. The DWTS leaderboard clearly shows Paige on top which makes her the favorite to win it.

THE LEADERBOARD

59: Paige VanZant
57: Nyle DiMarco
56: Ginger Zee

Paige-Trio:  Paige never completely straighten her legs and, annoyingly, Alan was slightly ahead of Mark and Paige. Otherwise, great job, though I always like seeing a samba roll during the samba.  Agree with the scores, though I hope this is not a "parting gift".  I really am worried about her tonight. I hope she makes it through - she deserves it. (Also, I don't think there's anything more than just friendship w/Alan-though I'd bet he'd like alot more - such a little goober.  Now if Mark was single, that would be a whole 'nuther story.)

Antonio-Trio:  A nice time-wasting gratuitous chest reveal to start. I see he skipped the lift he's been showing on snapchat (lifting both ladies at the same time).  Sharna didn't give him much to do beyond lifting one or the other (yes, we know he's strong).  Too many walking steps. Scores are ok.

Wanya-Trio:  He's back! Very commanding performance, sharp and clean. The choreo got a little sloppy? confusing? during the middle but that's not on him.  A little OTT with the judges comments but I think the toughest part for him was probably clearing his head of last week's troubles. Agree with the scores but, again, hoping it's not a "parting gift".  I do hope he's safe tonight. He belongs in the finals.

Nyle-Trio:  completely out of sync and he really cut short most of the kicks and flicks.  Too many time-waster moves (laying on the floor for how many beats?).  The spacing seemed off, not giving Nyle enough space to extend his legs at times.  In a word, sloppy.  I concede to the scores - they're not going to give him anything less than a 9. 

Ginger-Trio:   It sure took a long time to get started.  It just seemed like she didn't do much beyond lifting her skirt a few times and seemed off balance a few times.  Scores? whatev!

Paige:  Woah! I guess she's over her fear of being lifted and getting sexy.  The techniques for an AT were all there.   I think it's funny how Mark  avoids going shirtless - I guess the peacock dance was enough for 1 night.  Oh Len. Congratulate for the choreography and performance but deduct a point because it's a little too spicy?  Oh well. Should have been 3 10s.

Antonio:  That was his best dance so far, simplistic as it was.  I don't think that qualifies for most spectacular lifts ever but it was quite good which is a real compliment from me considering how arrogant and disrespectful he's been (IMO).  A little surprised CAI + Len didn't go for 10s. I'm fine with the 28.

Wanya:  What a fun dance! Exhausting to watch (ending with a run up a flight of stairs!).  I'm not sure about technique required but it didn't look like there were any errors. Whew! That was fun! (Did Bruno say "so well judged? That was weird).  Score well deserved.

Nyle:  Very basic choreo. That blindfold segment wasn't "mindblowing" - it's been done many times.   When the blindfold came off, I think he made an error - it didn't look right.   Overscored. I would have gone with all 9s. 

This may be a very unpopular opinion but IMO Nyle's quality of dancing really hasn't changed since week 1.  I have to wonder... Gaudette University does have dance courses. I suppose there's no way to know if he took dance as an elective to his Math major.  I think most degrees require some type of phys ed. I wonder...

Ginger:  So Paige put her dance experience into her package. Ginger didn't.  Kym on GMA this morning, repeated the "no dance experience" nonsense.  (Love Leona Lewis.)  A couple spots of out-of-sync footwork but otherwise, good job.  I'm glad at least CAI was paying attention. Overscored. I'd have gone with 3 9s or maybe just one 10.

I'm sad we had to lose Wanya to keep Ginger. Very happy Paige made it through. I think all her fans were sweating it this week.

• Love 13
(edited)
11 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I mean, Paige has to be  a huge component of whether the theme (and the dance) connects, right? I thought she crushed the UFC Paso, the Ice Queen Waltz, the Tina Turner Jive, her AT tonight, even the going all the way back to Alan's fill in dance. To the point where she captured my attention within the dances more than Mark did. IMO, I don't know what else she has to do...

These are the dances I rewind and watch. And I'll add in the Austin Power Jazz and the Bird Samba tonight. I've not seen such good technique on the Samba this season.  The Tina Turner jive is one of my all time favorites, along with tonight's AT is one that I'll hold up as a great dance long after this season is over.  Nyle is getting softballs on the judging because he's the golden child and the show is itching to have a win by a disabled person.  Ginger getting top 3 guarantees she'll be on the show in some capacity like Erin and Melissa Rycroft .  There's really no good reason for Paige to be there, except, oh yeah real dancing and great entertainment. 

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 11
15 minutes ago, ocelot said:

That wasn't contemporary.

I wish Sharna would get outside choreographers for when she has to choreograph contemporary.

Yes it was, and Sharna did exactly what the other pros did when they where given contemporary, LIFTS.

1 minute ago, Hiacios said:

Yes it was, and Sharna did exactly what the other pros did when they where given contemporary, LIFTS.

Ok but I don't agree, that wasn't contemporary literally at all.

Oh, I understand the sentiment.  I think I tend to vote the same way as RedFiat and for a lot of the same reasons.  I just think slapping Nyle with a name penalizes him for what is, in essence, the result of others' judgments and votes.

In other words, I get annoyed at the raving, too, when untrained me can see obvious problems, but Nyle himself does seem to be trying.  That isn't enough for me to vote for him unless something horrible happens and it's only him and Ginger, but I can't dislike the guy.  Get frustrated?  Sure.

• Love 2