Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

I  was watching Rachel Ray today. She is doing a 12 days of Thanksgiving. She is on day 9. Unlike Ree, she explains things and knows what she is doing. And real food, not canned junk. Not desserts with gallons of chocolate sauce on them. I think 3 more days next week. What is everyone making? I will make the usual traditional stuff. 

• Love 3
On 11/15/2020 at 1:59 PM, CharlizeCat said:

Are we supposed to believe that Alex is filming the show on her iPhone?  Or, is she just taking photos for Ree's blog or something? In any case, either circumstance seems very phony and staged.

All the FN shows are doing the same thing. They obviously sent a shit ton of cameras to all their on air people and had them installed in their kitchens. I've caught shots of the cameras in all of the shows. Ree probably actually needed fewer since I'd guess there were already some cameras in place in the Lodge since it's her regular filming location and might have had them already there. Then all of them have family or friends filming on their iPhones.... except Sunny Anderson. She's the only one who hasn't had someone shown filming something. I'm sure she did have someone, but they obviously didn't want to be on camera. Ree's daughters, the whole cast of The Kitchen (except for the afore mentioned Sunny) has had a spouse or fiancé filming, Giada's boyfriend, Michael Symon's friend/assistant, and Amy Schumer's nanny was even shown. It seems the iPhone footage is for close ups. 

• Love 2
On 11/20/2020 at 12:33 PM, Dineen said:

I  was watching Rachel Ray today. She is doing a 12 days of Thanksgiving. She is on day 9. Unlike Ree, she explains things and knows what she is doing. And real food, not canned junk. Not desserts with gallons of chocolate sauce on them. I think 3 more days next week. What is everyone making? I will make the usual traditional stuff. 

Duck leg and thigh, cranberries and mandarin oranges sauce, mashed cauliflower with garlic butter and parsley. Just me alone so that is plenty with leftovers for sure.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

What is everyone making?

My neighbor is in my "bubble" so we're sharing dinner.  Turkey, dressing, mashed carrots and rutabaga, rolls.  Dessert is a cranberry meringue tart with a saltine crust.  The dessert is new to both of us.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

What is everyone making?

My neighbor is in my "bubble" so we're sharing dinner.  Turkey, dressing, mashed carrots and rutabaga, rolls.  Dessert is a cranberry chocolate mousse tart.  I'm going to make some boozy cranberries as well for my leftover snacks.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Duck leg and thigh, cranberries and mandarin oranges sauce

Apricot jam mixed with orange juice is good on duck as well. Cats and dogs love duck too. 

13 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

boozy cranberries

What kind of booze? 

• Love 2

Just me, Husband and Westie Harley this year, which is just fine. Roasted Turkey Breast with Herbs and Pomegranates; Sausage Stuffing;  Roasted Sweet and White Potatoes (recipe just called for Sweet Potatoes, but I am a rebel so I am going to add White Potatoes!); Triple Sec Cranberry Relish; Popovers; and Homemade Apple Pie for dessert. It’s Husband’s birthday on Thursday; he wants apple pie, he shall have apple pie!

Edited to add: The first grocery store I went to did not have the turkey breast I had in mind. Oh, they had whole fresh turkey breasts, but I did not want to spend $30-40 on a turkey breast! So I went to Grocery Store #2 and bought 2 “Turkey Breast Roasts” and 2 Turkey Thighs. That will have to do!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Don't foster kids age out at 18?

Never mind - he has been there 1 1/2 years but evidently not in the current shows. 

Whatever (and I hate that term).

As far as i know they do. So whatever Ree and family hope to gain, he is in on it for whatever gain...sad to say  I think he was taken advantage of and now going on for the ride.

Edited by Gramto6
typ\

I know this is not PW related, but it is so cute I just had to. Admin, can you let me post this animal video? It is better than the usual negative stuff I spew!!

Edited by Dineen
problem with link
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I haven't been over here in a long time; no real reason.  I've always thought Rhee's recipes were lifted from church cookbooks.  I wouldn't mind having her pair up with some food bloggers with a healthier take on recipes.  I've just made a couple of recipes on the Clean and Delicious webite by Dani Spies.  They were pretty good and CLEAN.  

I also think she should credit some of the places she has been to and then tries to recreate them on her show.  I'm thinking of the episode where she made milkshakes and then put something like a cupcake on the straw.  She got that from a restaurant in Manhattan.

I do want to give her credit for revitalizing Pawhuska (she probably owns everything in it) but I do have to say her products look terrible.  Who wants vinyl wallpaper?

• Love 3

She has a new line of holiday dinnerware. One design-a lone christmas tree is EXACTLY what I have seen elsewhere. It is the exact design that I have seen on other plates in catalogues and in stores. All she does is steal and copy.  The others are the usual floral pattern. Her first blouse is out-ugly matronly 3/4 sleeve monstrosity. The rest are coming in December. The blouse is $24.99. That's $25 plus tax. Not a bargain. Made in China, sold at walmart. This will never stop.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Dineen said:

She has a new line of holiday dinnerware. One design-a lone christmas tree is EXACTLY what I have seen elsewhere. It is the exact design that I have seen on other plates in catalogues and in stores. All she does is steal and copy.  The others are the usual floral pattern. Her first blouse is out-ugly matronly 3/4 sleeve monstrosity. The rest are coming in December. The blouse is $24.99. That's $25 plus tax. Not a bargain. Made in China, sold at walmart. This will never stop.

To be honest I didn’t know which emoji to respond to you with. I agree with you that she basically copies her designs. It makes them come off looking cheap. Judging by the one or two pieces that my kid bought from the collection, they are cheap. They chip even if you sneeze at them. Her clothes...I just can’t. So you get all the emojis in one 😊 It’s sad that she just wants to be the figure face of her brand and not bring something innovative to her designs...either cookware or clothes. They are costly for what you get and I personally don’t want anything from China right now. She has become a big fail. All when she has the potential to bring something new to the table. 

• Love 3

I watched her cooking segment. She was really there to plug her book Frontier Follies. She did her segment from the kitchen we are used to seeing on her show (we did not see anyone else or whoever did the filming). She was making Baked Bagel Egg-in-the-hole. Basically you smoosh a half bagel onto a cookie sheet making sure that the middle whole is large enough to accommodate the egg. Slather with butter. Drop the egg in the hole and bake them until the egg is done. She made a blender Hollandaise to pour over the top. No recipe given because they were more interested in discussing her family life and book. When she did show her family picture it included her foster Jamal. I think she said the new book is dedicated to him. She said it was “fun to write”. Hey, even Ina Garten admits that making a cookbook good takes lots of work and testing the recipes over and over. I guess Ree is more talented...not! It was disjointed with the hosts asking questions and her trying to give information and it was only a short time that they interviewed her. She said if you want the recipe buy the book. Frankly lots of cooks make a blender Hollandaise so I don’t know what makes her think hers is special. Even Ina uses some cayenne pepper. She looked the same as ever. Loose blouse. Black with a floral pattern. She did not mention her clothing line coming out. So after watching it was just the same old stuff. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 11/30/2020 at 2:07 PM, Dineen said:

Hasn't Lenox been doing that for about a zillion years? I have my gran's Christmas china and they all have the single Christmas tree on them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Hasn't Lenox been doing that for about a zillion years

Yes, I have seen the design too for years. It is amazing that she is so bold, has so much chutzpuh to do that. And no one but us calls her out on it. There is a video on her facebook page of her getting her hair dyed red in a Tulsa salon. I think it looked better before. The dye is too garish, too bright red. I tried to copy and paste it but can't for some unknown reason. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Dineen said:

Yes, I have seen the design too for years. It is amazing that she is so bold, has so much chutzpuh to do that. And no one but us calls her out on it. There is a video on her facebook page of her getting her hair dyed red in a Tulsa salon. I think it looked better before. The dye is too garish, too bright red. I tried to copy and paste it but can't for some unknown reason. 

Spode has done that as well

• Love 3

She has a post about "the elf on the shelf." I think that "doll" is creepy. I spies on the family, and reports back to Santa. Like a stasi/soviet toy! There are pictures of the toy tied up on railroad tracks, as a pin cushion. Leave it to Ree to put up creepy stuff in the name of commerce.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dineen said:

Christmas Tree (Green Trim) Dinner Plate by Spode | Replacements, Ltd. The plate is on google imagesimage.png.a58ad65a040603cbcdd0c422c3c2f4dd.png to

Yes! My husbands Grandmother had the whole set when she was alive.

• Love 2

I have a Christmas set but would have to get the step ladder out as it’s in the cabinet over the fridge and I don’t think I’ve ever used them. Most certainly not worth the effort to eat alone. Lucky Ree to have a second house and plenty of storage for all these things. 

• Love 1

I have dishes from my mom that, to this day, I always pull out after Thanksgiving even just for me.  Luckily my retirement home has a space for them in the kitchen;  I used to keep them stored away in a bin in the basement and had to haul them up every year.  Too damned old for that!

s-l300.jpg

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I have dishes from my mom that, to this day, I always pull out after Thanksgiving even just for me.  Luckily my retirement home has a space for them in the kitchen;  I used to keep them stored away in a bin in the basement and had to haul them up every year.  Too damned old for that!

s-l300.jpg

I have a set of these too! My late DH had them for years even before he knew me...

• Love 2

I just went on her website and realized that this year there is no "12 days of boots." That is where she gives away 12 pairs of expensive cowgirl boots every day before Christmas. She has been having that "giveaway" for  I think years. And I don't think she has had any other contest or giveaway for a long time, months at least. I wonder why? 

She just posted her "ultimate holiday gift guide." Stuff you can buy from a variety of places, including the merc.  No 12 days of boots, or other contests or giveaways, "BECAUSE I LOVE YA." Now it is no different from any other for profit, commercialized website selling you stuff you usually don't need. She used to have a contest once every week, now nothing. She would say, "because it's Monday (or whatever day it was) and because I love ya, I'm giving away 3 mixers." That was just click bait. Then people had to keep checking to see if they won, more clicks, higher advertisement revenue! Now at the top of her page, in small letters it says: "Every item on this page was chosen by The Pioneer Woman team. The site may earn a commission on some products." At least they are admitting there is a "team." At another place on the website there is an "opt-out" request page so they can't sell your information. California demands this by law. They admit that if you don't "opt out" and you have a magazine subscription, your info will be sold. Any charm the site once had, is now totally gone. Here is a link to the "do not sell my personal information" page:

Opt Out - Hearst Magazines (hearstmags.com)https://optout.hearstmags.com/pubs/HR/A99/AdsFree.jsp?cds_page_id=246801&cds_mag_code=A99&id=1608061486267&lsid=33501344451038356&vid=2&cds_misc_1=4gnfmu4bgr8u5vdo31acb0htt0

Maybe I am too old and old fashioned, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

• Love 1

Opinions needed!!  I know someone who is going to bake a chicken in the oven, for herself and her cat. She is going to put lemon on it before baking. I think the cat won't like that, and will not eat it, and told her so. She says that is ridiculous. Cats are so fussy. I would not not put any flavor or seasoning such as spices on a chicken if I wanted my cat to eat it. Am I wrong?

Has anyone ever made hard sauce for desserts? I saw that on the PW website, I am curious as I have never heard of it. It is a simple 3 ingredient recipie, easy to make. Any opinions accepted!

1 hour ago, Dineen said:

Opinions needed!!  I know someone who is going to bake a chicken in the oven, for herself and her cat. She is going to put lemon on it before baking. I think the cat won't like that, and will not eat it, and told her so. She says that is ridiculous. Cats are so fussy. I would not not put any flavor or seasoning such as spices on a chicken if I wanted my cat to eat it. Am I wrong?

Has anyone ever made hard sauce for desserts? I saw that on the PW website, I am curious as I have never heard of it. It is a simple 3 ingredient recipie, easy to make. Any opinions accepted!

It is a fact that lemon will sicken a cat. So will a lot of the spices that most people will use for flavoring including salt and pepper. When I plan to share leftovers with mine I use a minimum. I also know that you can season the skin for some extra flavor, but then never feed that to my pets. Mine usually get the reddish bits closest to the bone (no bones at all). So my answer to your question is: Yes, you are correct. 

Sorry. I’ve never tried to make a “hard sauce”. Is that like the stuff that they dip an ice cream cone in that give it a shell? 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sorry. I’ve never tried to make a “hard sauce”. Is that like the stuff that they dip an ice cream cone in that give it a shell? 

No, it is a cream made up of butter, powdered sugar, and alcohol. You put it on a warm dessert like a pie or crumble. Thank you for answering my question.

7 minutes ago, Dineen said:

No, it is a cream made up of butter, powdered sugar, and alcohol. You put it on a warm dessert like a pie or crumble. Thank you for answering my question.

Ok. I’ll take a stab at this. I would cream the butter and sugar until it is well blended and creamy. Then I would add the desired alcohol until it gets to a certain consistency. Very little at a time so it incorporates. I’d be afraid of it separating. Thinning. Sauce-ish. Gosh, a friend just dropped off a half pint of whiskey with maple and pecan flavoring. It is kind of sweet (Yes, I had a sip...for research purposes).  It would taste so good in a recipe like this. Otherwise it might sit on my shelf for awhile. 

2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It would taste so good in a recipe like this.

from martha stewart, the master: Hard Sauce Recipe | Martha Stewart

Classic Hard Sauce Recipe - Pillsbury.com

i think any liquor will do. you only need a little bit. the dessert must be warm.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dineen said:

A bad picture of her-why do her eyes look so black? Too much mascara?

I think it’s a combination of that and eye liner. Personally I don’t find black flattering on belongs and red heads. I think a dark brown is more suitable for their coloring. I think she is also squinting which makes it seem worse. She looks so pale next to her husband. 

57 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I think she is also squinting which makes it seem worse. She looks so pale next to her husband.

Yes, and maybe the lighting too. What took me aback is that the whites of her eyes look totally black. Lighting against pale skin. Ladd is looking old. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dineen said:

Yes, and maybe the lighting too. What took me aback is that the whites of her eyes look totally black. Lighting against pale skin. Ladd is looking old. 

Working outside in all weather will turn a face into leather. 

• Love 1