Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Time Shall Unfold

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Manipulation and sabotage are heavily employed by Lucious as he works to regain his CEO position at Empire; at the same time, his new music video is unveiled. In other events, Andre hopes to better understand his bipolar disorder by learning more about his grandmother's mental illness; Anika reveals a big secret to the family; and Hakeem heads an important meeting of the shareholders.

Oh my lord, Luscious faked his mother's death, fake headstone and all, LOL, the evil. I'm thinking this is what he'll do if whatshername doesn't fall in line, give up that baby and fade away.

Leslie Uggams, I'm speechless, she's a gorgeous 72 year old. It's those amazing cheek bones. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 4

What! Lucious' mother is alive? He is such a fucking liar. Damn Lucious, just when you think that he can't get any worse, he tops himself. Giving Andre that sob story about his mother. Undermining Hakeem in public and threatening to kill Anika. Anika really should run and forget whatever game it is that she is playing. I knew he was never leaving Anika for Cookie. I wish she was there to hear that one.

I notice that the boys are now calling him "Lucious" and not "dad." At the rate Lucious is going, he will lose them completely. Cookie did well smoothing things over, but she opened the door for Lucious. The woman is right that Cookie should run Empire. She is the only one who has any focus. I loved Cookie in her gold dress.

Jamal was in a tough spot. I get why Cookie wants him away from Frieda, but I liked the sound they make together.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Leslie Uggams, I'm speechless, she's a gorgeous 72 year old. It's those amazing cheek bones. 

Leslie Uggams! I was trying to place the face. Great casting! We are in for some great performances in scenes with Leslie, Terrence, and Taraji.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

Luscious, you rat bastard! And yet, it kind of just makes me smile now. Just when you think he cant get worse, he fakes his moms death. Or...something. I have no idea what his plan is here, but you know it cannot be good. 

If Anika really did push Rhonda, she deserves whatever Luscious has in store for her, but her baby deserves better. 

Frieda is scary, but her and Jamal sound good. But Cookie does normally know best. 

• Love 1

I have to admire Lucious's enduring commitment to being the absolute worst. In short order, he manipulates Andre into helping him worm his way back into the CEO seat; humiliates Hakeem at the shareholders' meeting; and tries to buy Anika's baby AND threatens her. I hope this means I'm going to get my who-shot-Lucious storyline as the cliffhanger at the end of this season.

When is Cookie gonna get her turn in the CEO chair?

• Love 9

I know Cookie doesn't want to tell Jamal about Frank Gathers, but she really should because it is only a matter of time before the whole ugly story comes out.

Edited by SimoneS

When is Cookie gonna get her turn in the CEO chair?

Hopefully next season! Then Lu has to fight through not only Andre and Rhonda, Jamal, Hakeem and Porsha, but all the shareholders who have fallen in love with fun CEO who makes money for them and finding new ways to put cash in their pockets. 

I have to wonder how much it costs to buy an "unused" plot and all the pay-offs Lucious keeps paying. Granted, Lu is a millionaire, but he's spending money like water and as if it'll never go away. (While I do personally believe the spend-to-make theory, Lu has to spend a decent chunk, I bet, in order for no one to turn on him or to have his plans executed flawlessly.)

I'm losing interest as SuperVillain Lu seems impervious. Terrence makes it interesting, but it seems the only note he's being allowed to hit now.  I know enough to not trust Lucious and I'm just a dumb audience member. There is no tension if the boys or Cookie believe him "this once". Either something awful happens now or something terribad happens later. 

Bless Andre Royo for being entertaining with tiny scenes and barely any dialogue! Keep being Thirsty, sir! *g*

Frieda is more interesting to me. I want her to show up and record with Jamal, but I understand her being burned by two Lyons in about as many weeks.  While I agree that Freda could be dangerous, I think the only one to really be concerned is Lucious. No matter what he said to Hakeem, Freda understands and will deal with him , hopefully, as he needs to be treated.

I hate that Andre thinks Lucious is the road to anywhere. Rhonda, this was not a good week for you, huh?

PS: 2016 keeps doing good for Leslie Uggams! Deadpool and now this? Go, Ms. U, go!!

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 4

Can someone with a better memory than me help me with the Lola storyline? I remember she was introduced as Jamal's daughter. However, I thought it was revealed that she was actually Lucious's biological child? Or am I thinking about a different TV show? Also, Jamal said something.about needing to find allow. Was she missing?

• Love 1

Interesting they de-Lyoned Lola. She was really well received too. It was nice seeing her for the few seconds.

Hakeem had no business being CEO to begin with, him getting stock even is a joke. 

Won't mind at at all if Lucious follows through on his Anika threats.

• Love 1

Can someone with a better memory than me help me with the Lola storyline? I remember she was introduced as Jamal's daughter. However, I thought it was revealed that she was actually Lucious's biological child? Or am I thinking about a different TV show? 

This is how I remember it, too. 

I'd love to see Cookie as CEO, but they've contrived that she can't hold a position in a public company because of her criminal past. Stupid, because she is way more confidence-instiling than any of her kids.

• Love 2

I notice that the boys are now calling him "Lucious" and not "dad." At the rate Lucious is going, he will lose them completely. Cookie did well smoothing things over, but she opened the door for Lucious. The woman is right that Cookie should run Empire. She is the only one who has any focus. I loved Cookie in her gold dress.

Jamal was in a tough spot. I get why Cookie wants him away from Frieda, but I liked the sound they make together.

The thing that annoys me about Cookie is that once again she is going to let Lucious do the same thing he did to her before.  Hakeem may have been young and learning, but there is every indication that he was going to run Empire with everyone.  Lucious is simply going to run Empire the same way he did before, controlling them all with his money and keeping them under his thumb.  

Cookie had to fight Lucious just to get a tiny office and a little position in A&R at Empire....yet she is so happy to have him back at the helm of the company.  This isn't the strong, intelligent, independent Cookie that I admired in season 1 and most of season 2.  This is just weakness on her part.  And now, she wouldn't even have control of Lyon Dynasty since its under Empire.

I do hope that the board comes to Cookie to run Empire, because that would be great....but I'm disappointed in her.

Did they just Aunt Viv Kelly Rowland?

Girl, they sure did! 

• Love 1

Interesting they de-Lyoned Lola. She was really well received too. It was nice seeing her for the few seconds.

Luscious is probably lying about Lola. He's looking for a male heir. He just rattled that line about her paternity quick fast, like don't bring her into this. He really could be lying.

When will Andre learn? Hasn't he tried to screw over his brothers multiple times? It's pathetic, reward those who have proven to be the most loyal, and that sure as hell isn't Luscious. Luscious is always ready to discard anyone including his offspring if it suits his purposes.

Loyalty is priceless.

Edited by represent
  • Love 4

The title of this week's episode is kind of ironic, given that the people in charge of this show could use some lesson in the value of pacing and a slow burn.  I can't stand when shows drag out stories endlessly, but this show has proven to me that too far the other extreme isn't ideal either. 

• Love 1
Did they just Aunt Viv Kelly Rowland?

Girl, they sure did!

But they needed an actress who's old enough to be Lucious' mother. The fake headstone said DOB was 1947 (or 1949). Kelly Rowland is 35 years old - they'd have to do a number on her makeup-wise in order for her to appear as a woman around 70 years old.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 8

Nope, I don't think it never happened. There probably wasn't even a gun on sight. Can't wait for the flashbacks that show what really went down.

I think I can only believe that she was mentally ill, the rest is questionable.

• Love 1

So what is the benefit to Lucious in keeping his mother's existence a secret? We sure know how he views her mental illness, so I guess he'd rather people think she's dead? I suppose his version of what happened makes for a much more compelling story - the boy who overcame all that and went on to great success. I sure do want to know what really happened and how his mother lived before Lucious was able to hide her away. What a mess!

Lucious just piles on the nastiness, doesn't he?

Threatening a pregnant Anika, publicly humiliating Hakeem and lying to Andre about his grandmother actually being dead. He just doesn't know when to quit really.

I knew Hakeem was eventually get booted out but I'm surprised they didn't leave it for another few episodes though.

Cookie really does know how to think on her feet and she prevented a bad situation getting worse between Hakeem and Lucious though.

I don't know what Anika's motives are but I'm convinced she didn't push Rhonda down the stairs though. I just think we're meant to believe that she did.

I actually liked Jamal and Freda's friendship thing as well. It works well enough.

Way to un-heir Lola or whatever, show, unless Lucious is of course lying, 8/10

• Love 2

When will Andre learn? Hasn't he tried to screw over his brothers multiple times? It's pathetic, reward those who have proven to be the most loyal, and that sure as hell isn't Luscious. Luscious is always ready to discard anyone including his offspring if it suits his purposes.

Loyalty is priceless.

Never, he's a dumb ass and I sincerely hope that it's Andre that dies. To be honest, I'm not sure if I am going to stick with this show next season. It was so great last year and this year's almost a parody of the awesomeness of the first season.

• Love 2

So what is the benefit to Lucious in keeping his mother's existence a secret? We sure know how he views her mental illness, so I guess he'd rather people think she's dead? I suppose his version of what happened makes for a much more compelling story - the boy who overcame all that and went on to great success. I sure do want to know what really happened and how his mother lived before Lucious was able to hide her away. What a mess!

Maybe he kept her a secret to protect her when he was selling drugs for Frank Gathers? Then when he got older, got into music, met Cookie, he kept her a secret out of shame. (I  believe Lucious when he said he was ashamed of his mother's mental illness.) 

• Love 3

Luscious is probably lying about Lola. He's looking for a male heir. He just rattled that line about her paternity quick fast, like don't bring her into this. He really could be lying.

I think he wants heirs, period. I think the point of them showing us he took her hair and did the DNA test was just for the point at the end. Why would they show us doing a DNA test, bring Lola back just for him to be lying? He could have just lied and said he did a DNA test without backing it up or showing us anything.

• Love 1

I thought that the younger Lucious hid the bullets which is how his mother is still alive. I remember mentioning last week that the bullets were he had hidden the bullets. I'm glad to see that he still takes care of her. I'm not surprised that he has her hidden away.

I still wonder who pushed Rhonda down the stairs.

It was nice to see Lola.

I agree that Cookie should be CEO.

Shallow moment, the actor portraying Andre is one handsome man. Goodness sake!

• Love 3

I think he wants heirs, period. I think the point of them showing us he took her hair and did the DNA test was just for the point at the end. Why would they show us doing a DNA test, bring Lola back just for him to be lying? He could have just lied and said he did a DNA test without backing it up or showing us anything.

Oh he did, I missed that, or don't remember.

That being said, I don't buy Luscious being an evolved enough man, to ever want a female to take over power of his Empire, he perks up when he hears "It's a boy". He'll take what he can get I suppose, but no way do I believe that he doesn't prefer a grandson over a granddaughter. 

By the way, funniest part of the episode was at the family meeting, Cookie and all her antics and the best part was pulling her hand away when Luscious tried to reach out for it, hilarious. Their dynamic is truly hilarious amidst all the darkness.

Edited by represent
  • Love 5

Maybe I'm just slow, but I thought it was obvious Anika pushed Rhonda down the stairs. I thought they showed her dressed in her black yoga outfit, prowling around the house with her red under-sided shoes. Are we supposed to be confused about that? I thought the only question mark was when Rhonda would remember what she saw and put 2 and 2 together... At some point, she's going to have to see Anika wearing those shoes, have a flashback and make the connection, right?

• Love 3

Maybe I'm just slow, but I thought it was obvious Anika pushed Rhonda down the stairs. I thought they showed her dressed in her black yoga outfit, prowling around the house with her red under-sided shoes. Are we supposed to be confused about that? I thought the only question mark was when Rhonda would remember what she saw and put 2 and 2 together... At some point, she's going to have to see Anika wearing those shoes, have a flashback and make the connection, right?

Perhaps it is the very obviousness that is throwing everyone off. At first viewing, it did indeed seem like a no-brainer that Anika pushed Rhonda down the stairs. Anika had a very intense reaction to hearing about Rhonda talk about her pregnancy and to hearing how invested Lucious was in the baby, what with gifting them with the house and all. I could be wrong in remembering this, but wasn't there a scene when Anika was visiting Rhonda that the security alarm went off and Rhonda complained about it to Anika? And then later on, it was the malfunction of that alarm system that drew Rhonda to the top of the stairs prior to being pushed? So that led viewers to believe that Anika took advantage of that moment. While Loboutin does indeed make men's loafers with red soles, the figure seen leaving the house post-push did look female in form. However, it then started looking too explicit to have Anika as the pusher. When, in the last episode, Anika told Rhonda to come stay with her, I assumed as well that Rhonda would catch a glimpse of red-soled shoes in Rhonda's home and be triggered to remember what happened. But again, that seemed too predictable. Yet perhaps that's what the writers want us to do: come up with another person, since it's too evident to have it be Anika, and then come back around and reveal that it is actually Anika when we were all off on a wild goose chase!

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 3

Didn't Lucious say that Lola wasn't JAMAL'S? He never said she wasn't a Lyon..still could be Lucious'!

He then identified the father as another person, a Michael someone? Given that they showed Lola I think the DNA test is legit. Lucuisous is too much of a control freak to let an offspring of his out of his control.

• Love 2

Perhaps it is the very obviousness that is throwing everyone off. At first viewing, it did indeed seem like a no-brainer that Anika pushed Rhonda down the stairs. Anika had a very intense reaction to hearing about Rhonda talk about her pregnancy and to hearing how invested Lucious was in the baby, what with gifting them with the house and all. I could be wrong in remembering this, but wasn't there a scene when Anika was visiting Rhonda that the security alarm went off and Rhonda complained about it to Anika? And then later on, it was the malfunction of that alarm system that drew Rhonda to the top of the stairs prior to being pushed? So that led viewers to believe that Anika took advantage of that moment. While Loboutin does indeed make men's loafers with red soles, the figure seen leaving the house post-push did look female in form. However, it then started looking too explicit to have Anika as the pusher. When, in the last episode, Anika told Rhonda to come stay with her, I assumed as well that Rhonda would catch a glimpse of red-soled shoes in Rhonda's home and be triggered to remember what happened. But again, that seemed too predictable. Yet perhaps that's what the writers want us to do: come up with another person, since it's too evident to have it be Anika, and then come back around and reveal that it is actually Anika when we were all off on a wild goose chase!

Thirsty is thin and slight enough to resemble a female form. Likes to dress well too. I'd see him having red bottomed loafers.

• Love 4

But they needed an actress who's old enough to be Lucious' mother. The fake headstone said DOB was 1947 (or 1949). Kelly Rowland is 35 years old - they'd have to do a number on her makeup-wise in order for her to appear as a woman around 70 years old.

That's not what "Aunt Viv*"-ing Kelly Rowland means.

So - they couldn't find an older black actress with dark skin?  

* - To "Aunt Viv" someone means you replace that darker skinned person with someone much too light to ever be that person.  Especially considering that we tend to darken in skin tone as we age.  This phrase came about when The Fresh Prince replaced a darker skinned actress who played Aunt Viv on the show, with a much, much MUCH lighter skinned actress.  It was a really ugly moment in colorism - especially since the new Aunt Viv was kinda boring.

Thirsty is thin and slight enough to resemble a female form. Likes to dress well too. I'd see him having red bottomed loafers.

But they really weren't loafers.  They were actually these Christian Louboutin shoes:

https://www.shopspring.com/products/23742943?gclid=CKbxnK33oMwCFRFahgod1jIMvA

He then identified the father as another person, a Michael someone? Given that they showed Lola I think the DNA test is legit. Lucuisous is too much of a control freak to let an offspring of his out of his control.

Agreed.  I think they scrapped Lola from the list of heirs to make the baby Anika is carrying the sole heir and up its importance.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2

That's not what "Aunt Viv*"-ing Kelly Rowland means.

So - they couldn't find an older black actress with dark skin?  

* - To "Aunt Viv" someone means you replace that darker skinned person with someone much too light to ever be that person.  Especially considering that we tend to darken in skin tone as we age.  This phrase came about when The Fresh Prince replaced a darker skinned actress who played Aunt Viv on the show, with a much, much MUCH lighter skinned actress.

But they really weren't loafers.  They were actually these Christian Louboutin shoes:

https://www.shopspring.com/products/23742943?gclid=CKbxnK33oMwCFRFahgod1jIMvA

Agreed.  I think they scrapped Lola from the list of heirs to make the baby Anika is carrying the sole heir and up its importance.

I love your research on the shoes. I misrembered the shoes as high heels. Sole heir/soul heir. Heir apparent/heir a parent.

• Love 1

I love your research on the shoes. I misrembered the shoes as high heels. Sole heir/soul heir. Heir apparent/heir a parent.

Wish I could take credit for the shoe find.  Someone on twitter found them... I couldn't find the tweet, but remembered the shoes and managed to search and find them, :)

• Love 1

* - To "Aunt Viv" someone means you replace that darker skinned person with someone much too light to ever be that person.  Especially considering that we tend to darken in skin tone as we age.  This phrase came about when The Fresh Prince replaced a darker skinned actress who played Aunt Viv on the show, with a much, much MUCH lighter skinned actress.  It was a really ugly moment in colorism - especially since the new Aunt Viv was kinda boring.

Got it! I thought it was an age issue, my mistake.

• Love 1

I thought I was seeing things, or mis-remembering how dark Leslie Uggams's skin is. I can see why they picked her -- she and Kelly Rowland do have similar bone structure -- but surely they could have found a similarly complected actress who also resembled Kelly in other ways.

As for Lola, I think viewers were just speculating that she could have been Luscious's child, which is why some people are remembering that as a plot line. It is odd that he hadn't had a DNA test done before now, but the fact that they showed Thirsty yanking out her hair on the playground (which was hilarious and awful, by the way) makes me think that she truly isn't a Lyon. I wouldn't put it past Luscious to lie about something like that AT ALL, but I don't think they would go to the trouble of showing them obtaining the girl's hair if that was the case.

• Love 1

I feel like I say this every single time, but seriously: Lucious is the worst.  The absolute worst.  I mean, I do kind agree that Hakeem really was never cut out to run Empire, but to humiliated him that way, was just fucking awful.  And he even digs the knife deeper and mocks him after he is voted out.  And, again, Lucious acts shock when Hakeem hates his ass.  I honestly don't know if he's just full of that much shit, or if he truly doesn't understand why people get pissed at him when he does stuff like that.

And then, of course, comes the big reveal that his mother is actually still alive, so pretty much all the stuff he did with Andre was complete horseshit.  Classic Lucious! Slimy motherfucker...

That said, can't believe Andre and Rhonda thought that was actually going to work out for them.  When is everyone on this show going to learn to just not trust that guy?

Glad that Anika came out about her pregnancy to the family, so hopefully she'll be more involved with the rest of the cast going forward.  That's assuming it doesn't end with Lucious killing her, which, could totally happen, because Lucious has no limits in his evilness.

I'm digging the Jamal/Frida partnership.  Even though I understand where she is coming from, I was getting a bit annoyed with Cookie for trying to sabotage it.  That said, if Frida does ever find out what Lucious did to her dad, I'm sure things will get ugly.  The guy who sat in his chair and disrespected was just an appetizer, I suspect.

Another Tiana performance!  I'm glad this show has remembered she exists!

Andre Royo continues to be a blast as Thirsty.

I do wonder if there is a swerve coming up and the board actually wants Cookie to take over, instead of Lucious.  Or maybe I'm just really hoping he gets the wind taken out of him, when this is all said and done. 

• Love 1

I actually like them De-Lyoning Lola if the ultimate reveal wasn't going to be that she truly was Jamal's. It was a momentary shock value move when Luscious claimed paternity that they clearly had no real game plan for since she was sent away immediately thereafter and never mentioned again. However, given who Luscious is, I wouldn't be surprised if the test did prove her to be Jamal's and he's lying to have a card to play against his son someday.

What if Malik Yoba's character ISNT rea;;y dead....and he came and pushed Rhonda as retribution for "killing" him?

Knowing this show, that will likely be the path they take. Although given that he was buried, dug up and his burning body was put in the prosecutor's car and then his identity was confirmed, I don't quite know how they would explain this.

Thirsty is the wild card here. He knows too much and has his fingers in too many Lyon pies. He can't be trusted, he clearly has no use for Andre and is far too willing to do Luscious' bidding. Is he going to revealed to be related to Luscious in some way, unknown brother? I would assume he is too young to be cast as Luscious' fathe, and too old to be revealed to be a pre-Cookie child.

• Love 1

I thought I was seeing things, or mis-remembering how dark Leslie Uggams's skin is. I can see why they picked her -- she and Kelly Rowland do have similar bone structure -- but surely they could have found a similarly complected actress who also resembled Kelly in other ways. As for Lola, I think viewers were just speculating that she could have been Luscious's child, which is why some people are remembering that as a plot line. It is odd that he hadn't had a DNA test done before now, but the fact that they showed Thirsty yanking out her hair on the playground (which was hilarious and awful, by the way) makes me think that she truly isn't a Lyon. I wouldn't put it past Luscious to lie about something like that AT ALL, but I don't think they would go to the trouble of showing them obtaining the girl's hair if that was the case.

It would best if it is a lie about Lola not being a Lyon. Better to bring her back later when the lie is exposed. Luscious is too devious for there not to be a lie and a twist. Everyone loved Lola, she'll be back. IMHO. Luscious would rather have LOLA as the first heir than boobookitty's child cause boobookitty could be a powerful mother/enemy.

I bailed in the middle of the stupid shareholder meeting.  I realized I don't like the show anymore.  It's just gotten almost offensively ridiculous.  Was Dynasty this poorly written, too?  

I bailed in the middle of the stupid shareholder meeting.  I realized I don't like the show anymore.  It's just gotten almost offensively ridiculous.  Was Dynasty this poorly written, too?  

A year ago...even six months ago I would have railed against this post.  But, I kinda see where you're coming from.  Its still campy fun, but the bloom is coming off the rose, and I'm starting to see my beloved Cookie as more of an enabler and that stinks.  I hope that Cookie becomes CEO somehow.  Because if Lucious becomes CEO again, it will mean that Cookie basically helped him get back into that position of power.  And now he has power over her record label, Lyon Dynasty.  So she will again....be completely powerless and have to scramble.

Maybe Lucious needs some time with the broom instead of her children.

• Love 2
What if Malik Yoba's character ISNT rea;;y dead....and he came and pushed Rhonda as retribution for "killing" him?

I think we need a chart with all the possible suspects and the percentage of how likely they are to be the culprit-lol

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

Its funny that I started watching the show for Taraji after she left POI, but now I almost can't stand Cookie, the writers dumbed the character down so that Lucious always wins.

I wish they will go back to writing her as a strong smart woman that loves her family, not a woman that keep giving up everything for her ex (even though TPH and TH have mad chemistry which I enjoy) and keeps hitting her 20years old son (it was funny last season, not anymore). Hakeem is a grown up and Cookie has no right to get at him for knocking up Anika, he was in a bad head space when he slept with Anika. Hakeem is a better person than I am, I would never stand for that, period.

I still love this show but its getting boring now. I still love Hakeem, Andre, Jamal and sometimes cookie. I love to hate Lucious (I hope they never redeem him, but I dont want him dead yet).

• Love 2

As for Lola, I think viewers were just speculating that she could have been Luscious's child, which is why some people are remembering that as a plot line. It is odd that he hadn't had a DNA test done before now, but the fact that they showed Thirsty yanking out her hair on the playground (which was hilarious and awful, by the way) makes me think that she truly isn't a Lyon. I wouldn't put it past Luscious to lie about something like that AT ALL, but I don't think they would go to the trouble of showing them obtaining the girl's hair if that was the case.

Lucious specifically said though in season 1 that Lola was his.

Edited by AutumnsMommy
  • Love 1

I always thought it was heavily implied that Lucious just said that to divert Reg's attention away from Jamal. When they were all giving him the side eye afterwards, he basically scoffed at them and said, "I just saved you."

He also told the guy, "Jamal wouldn't touch her," which was clearly a lie, since Jamal absolutely thought he could be her dad.