Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 4/18/16

• Start Topic

Monday, April 18 - Queen Latifah; Ken Jeong (ABC's "Dr. Ken"); Jon Cryer (author, "So That Happened").

Tuesday, April 19 - Susan Sarandon ("The Meddler"); Nancy Jo Sales (author, "American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers").

Wednesday, April 20 - Katherine Heigl; Alicia Witt (ABC's "Nashville").

Thursday, April 21 - Ginger Zee and Val Chmerkovskiy (ABC's"Dancing with the Stars").

Friday, April 22 - Day of Hot Topics.

UGH. After her disgusting appearance and coyness on Real Time last Friday, I'm not interested in anything Sarandon has to say.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
Monday, April 18 - Queen Latifah;

Tuesday, April 19 -  Nancy Jo Sales (author, "American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Teenagers").

Wednesday, April 20 - Katherine Heigl; 

I always thought Queen Latifah was one of the most beautiful women on the planet.  She is just radiant.

Tues:  Raven defends social media as the "young one" on the panel.  Ugh.

Wed:  Katherine Heigl talks about cat litter?  (Great opportunity for Whoopi to show the same old pic of her cat.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

Boring. Raven laughs alot. She misunderstood the topic of "hugging" to mean that people did not know how to hug, although topic was when is it appropriate to hug. John Cryer "dated" Demi Moore briefly in 1983. Ashton was ok with it. Whoopi lectured Jedi on letting hubby or whatever guy in a relationship raise kids or dogs his way, cuz its different and ok. Latifah talked abt heart disease cuz her mother has it...and made everyone say "Hi" to her mother whose picture came up....mom was not there. ???????? Strange. Not a keeper.

• Love 2

John Cryer "dated" Demi Moore briefly in 1983. Ashton was ok with it.

When Demi and John dated- Ashton was 5 years old!

Ashton and Demi married in 2005 (and he was her third husband) so a date or two with Cryer was ancient history!

Raven is so bloody childish! She drives me nuts, running around, clapping, mugging for the camera. I swear....it's like watching a sugared-up 8 year old. Why the hell is she on this show? Shouldn't she be doing some tripe on the Family channel or some other shit that is more suited to her behavior?

Between her and Candace.........

• Love 7

Jon Cryer said he had a brief relationship with Demi, and they broke up because she wanted an open relationship. I surmised that they slept together from his account.

I also saw Raven check for the camera as she lifted her head up from the table from a laughing fit abt something dumb. Yep, a ten year old who knows where her bread is buttered. But that's all.

• Love 5

Jon Cryer said he had a brief relationship with Demi, and they broke up because she wanted an open relationship. I surmised that they slept together from his account.

I also saw Raven check for the camera as she lifted her head up from the table from a laughing fit abt something dumb. Yep, a ten year old who knows where her bread is buttered. But that's all.

That was my take on it too... on both accounts.

• Love 1

I can just see the wheels turning in "older" stars - oh, yeah - Raven did play a kid in that movie....because she was a kid.

Yet Raven giggles uncontrollably and loudly to grab some attention and try and brown-nose the celebrity to say how wonderful she is.

• Love 1

Why does Candace dress as if she is attending a cocktail party? 

I turned the show off after five minutes. I'm not a fan of the four co-hosts and Susan Sarandon.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 3

I don't want to watch a show when three of the four people on the panel are not smart enough or cool enough for me to want to be friends with them, and the fourth one gets on my nerves with her constant need to make jokes. 

And Susan Sarandon is going to be on?  I didn't see her on Real Time, but I did see her on MSNBC a while ago.  She was playing all coy (which I guess is now a "thing" with her) and she suggested if Bernie didn't get the nomination, she probably wouldn't vote for Hillary because she thinks if Trump wins the election, it might trigger a revolution which would just be so super *awesome* !!! Because none of the shit he is promising to do will effect her rich white movie star ass.  It was the most insensitive crap I have heard a celebrity spout in a long time, and I could not have been more floored it was coming from Susan Sarandon - a person I USED to respect. 

Who does Wendy have on today?  The hell with this show. 

• Love 15

Celia-I totally agree with your assessmet of Sarandon. I think she has been pretty disingenuous about her original remarks. She claims people said she said she would support Trump if Bernie didn't get the nomination. My understanding of what she said was that she would not vote for Hillary under any circumstance and she wouldn't vote at all if Bernie didn't get the nomination. She is free to be a dumbass, but I hope her dumbassery doesn't affect other voters. I also hate that she is pushing the narrative that women are voting for Hillary because she is a woman. I think that is nonsense and is not what feminism is about. I did not feel compelled to vote for Palin because she was a woman. I do, however, vote with my womb. She will never have to worry about needing an abortion during this grand "revolution" she longs for. I couldn't even watch the whole interview. Fuck her and this dumbass show. What was Whoopi bellowing about during this episode? I don't even remember.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 13

It's easy for people like Susan Sarandon to hope for a "revolution" because they won't be affected by it.  For there to be a real revolution there would be a lot of shit going on and things wouldn't miraculously get better over night.  There would be serious sacrifices to be made and I don't see Sarandon having to ever suffer through any.  And while she might think she is a feminist she most certainly isn't IMO.  To call into question another woman's motives for doing something completely undermines any "feminist" beliefs she might have.

• Love 10

I normally don't care when celebrities share their political beliefs, wherever they fall on the spectrum, and in Susan Sarandon's case, I especially don't care.  She's a registered voter in New York, a very blue state, it won't make a difference who she does or doesn't vote for in the general election.

but I hope her dumbassery doesn't affect other voters.

I would imagine the number of voters swayed by SS is rather negligible.

I also hate that she is pushing the narrative that women are voting for Hillary because she is a woman.

I know some men and women who will be voting for Hillary just because she's a woman.  That's their right, this is a free country. 

• Love 5

I don't want to watch a show when three of the four people on the panel are not smart enough or cool enough for me to want to be friends with them, and the fourth one gets on my nerves with her constant need to make jokes. 

Yes, I couldn't agree more!  

People are probably sick of hearing me talk about the "original"  The View, but here goes.  When I first started watching, the "feel"  of the show was that I was sitting around listening to women talk about their lives and their views.   And they were interesting, intelligent women.  If I didn't agree with their views, at least I  could tell that  their views were genuine, and came from being informed and thoughtful. They all seemed to read and think about an issue before discussing it.   And I wanted to be friends with all of them.  

Maybe part of it is that on the original show, topics were discussed more in depth, with some thought about all different points of view. And they came PREPARED.     I guess it's better than Sherri and Bitsy reading questions off blue cards without paying attention to the answers, but it's not a big enough improvement.  These women "prepare"  for the show only by getting dressed, made up, and styled.  I miss when they seemed to be capable of reading a newspaper.  Even an online news site is better than getting your "news"  from your twitter feed.  I'm discouraged by the tendency, not just by this show, but by a lot of current day presentations of ideas, to line up on opposing sides, to take extreme positions, instead of consideration of anything in between.  SO it becomes a forum for people to display their ignorance, shout at each other, call attention to themselves by outrageous behavior (and hair), and be rude and disrespectful to guests and the audience.

(I'd like to call it seeing things in either black or white, and missing the shades of gray, but a certain book/movie has taken away the use of "shades of grey"   to mean anything other than kinky sexual stuff.)  

• Love 9

backformore, I so agree with your post! I do think that Joy and Sunny would be the intelligent, prepared members of the group who could advance the show and remind us of the old days. Now if only they could find another two or three decent replacements for Whoopi, Raven, Michelle, Paula, and Candace, that would be great.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 5

And Susan Sarandon is going to be on?  I didn't see her on Real Time, but I did see her on MSNBC a while ago.  She was playing all coy (which I guess is now a "thing" with her) and she suggested if Bernie didn't get the nomination, she probably wouldn't vote for Hillary because she thinks if Trump wins the election, it might trigger a revolution which would just be so super *awesome* !!! Because none of the shit he is promising to do will effect her rich white movie star ass.  It was the most insensitive crap I have heard a celebrity spout in a long time, and I could not have been more floored it was coming from Susan Sarandon - a person I USED to respect. 

Who does Wendy have on today?  The hell with this show. 

That is so horrible. She'll be fine so what does she care.

Celia-I totally agree with your assessmet of Sarandon. I think she has been pretty disingenuous about her original remarks. She claims people said she said she would support Trump if Bernie didn't get the nomination. My understanding of what she said was that she would not vote for Hillary under any circumstance and she wouldn't vote at all if Bernie didn't get the nomination. She is free to be a dumbass, but I hope her dumbassery doesn't affect other voters. I also hate that she is pushing the narrative that women are voting for Hillary because she is a woman. I think that is nonsense and is not what feminism is about. I did not feel compelled to vote for Palin because she was a woman. I do, however, vote with my womb. She will never have to worry about needing an abortion during this grand "revolution" she longs for. I couldn't even watch the whole interview. Fuck her and this dumbass show. What was Whoopi bellowing about during this episode? I don't even remember.

Susan just lost me forever as a fan. NOt that she cares.

• Love 3

Celia-I totally agree with your assessmet of Sarandon. I think she has been pretty disingenuous about her original remarks. She claims people said she said she would support Trump if Bernie didn't get the nomination. My understanding of what she said was that she would not vote for Hillary under any circumstance and she wouldn't vote at all if Bernie didn't get the nomination. She is free to be a dumbass, but I hope her dumbassery doesn't affect other voters. I also hate that she is pushing the narrative that women are voting for Hillary because she is a woman. I think that is nonsense and is not what feminism is about. I did not feel compelled to vote for Palin because she was a woman. I do, however, vote with my womb. She will never have to worry about needing an abortion during this grand "revolution" she longs for. I couldn't even watch the whole interview. Fuck her.

I actually kept the show on in the background while I sat here and read some other threads, and I heard most of the Sarandon interview.  She didn't just suggest women are voting for Hillary because she is a woman, she claimed there is PRESSURE on women to vote for Hillary because she is a woman.  This awful, crushing pressure.  Oh, the horror! 

Where is this happening?  I realize I circulate in a different kind of crowd than Susan Sarandon does, but I've seen no sign of it among the people I know.  And I don't get feel any pressure to vote a certain way based on biology when I watch the news or any other tv shows, either.  I think this is just a fallacy people who don't support Clinton repeat to undermine her - a political tactic to manipulate voters with no basis in fact, nothing more.  YMMV

If you wanna talk about being really being pressured to support someone, talk to any college kid about the pressure being put on them to support Bernie.  It's crushing and I have seen it first hand among my daughter and her friends.   

I didn't hear them ask Sarandon about her comments re: a Trump Revolution being a desirable thing.  Did I just miss it?  Or was it the standard tongue bath the show habitually gives it's favored guests?  I'm guessing they wouldn't want to make her uncomfortable by actually calling her out for anything stupid she says because she espouses so many opinions the majority of the hosts hold dear, and they just gave her a pass.  Am I right?  

• Love 7

This week isn't live?   No point in it in my opinion.   I did see the Not Hot Topic about parents supporting their adult children though and cracked up at Whoopi's thinly veiled defense of it:  "Sometimes it's just easier"   Really, than what?  Actual parenting?   and "Sometimes you want your kid to have things you didn't have."   The blue cards said supporting adult children deprives them of learning how to handle challenges, etc.   I'd say Whoopi and her kid are Exhibit #1 on why it's a bad idea.  

I didn't hear them ask Sarandon about her comments re: a Trump Revolution being a desirable thing.  Did I just miss it?  Or was it the standard tongue bath the show habitually gives it's favored guests?  I'm guessing they wouldn't want to make her uncomfortable by actually calling her out for anything stupid she says because she espouses so many opinions the majority of the hosts hold dear, and they just gave her a pass.  Am I right?  

She said this earlier - on MSNBC I think and Bill Maher repeated it Friday night.  Sarandon walked some of it back on his show - quoting some crazy headlines that came out of that interview like "Sarandon Supports Trump" and other stuff.    Today, she was still endorsing Bernie and accurately said many people didn't really know anything about him until after Iowa.  The best part was Whoopi interrupting to shout, "We did!!   We had him on here!  THIS is the place to come on if you want to get your message out."    Hahahahahah

Now that I know the shows aren't live this week, I'm far less interested. 

• Love 5

The author who wrote/talked abt addictions to social media was good, and she touched on the lack of depth too many kids are experiencing due to constant phone activity. Raven was there and said little, except that boys get pressured for nekkid selfies too. Michelle stepped on a concerned comment by CCB with a lame joke. Heh.

Earlier, CCB and Raven both were indignant that Michelle said they were rich. CCB retorted that they both worked for their money since early ages and parents didn't spoil them. They acted like they did it all themselves, and did not credit parents with driving them to studios, hiring agents, photos, and whatever else parents did to enable their snowflakes to make money; I balk at calling it acting.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 11

So it was cool that I deleted both episodes so far this week.

Sarandon was the too cool for skool Sanders supporter that coined "I don't vote with my vagina".  I saw her on Hayes, I saw her Maher, she disgusts me.  And no, my opinion won't change after this election, she's a little too fond of revolution.  She was a Nader supporter in 2000.

She can sit up there in her 1% life and pretend that any of this really affects her.

Go back to Greece and take care of people that need help.

• Love 10

Earlier, CCB and Raven both were indignant that Michelle said they were rich. CCB retorted that they both worked for their money since early ages and parents didn't spoil them. They acted like they did it all themselves, and did not credit parents with driving them to studios, hiring agents, photos, and whatever else parents did to enable their snowflakes to make money; I balk at calling it acting.

I'm guessing this was during the "Parents supporting their adult children" Not Hot Topic?    In Raven's case, I'm pretty sure she supported her parents as a child (and probably still does) so clearly this topic doesn't apply.    I personally find CCB too ridiculous to listen to these days but of course her parents didn't support her - she was working at like age 10 and married by 20.   I think they missed the point entirely, unlike Michelle who seemed to get it. 

• Love 3
she claimed there is PRESSURE on women to vote for Hillary because she is a woman.  This awful, crushing pressure.  Oh, the horror!

Heh. Well, guess what, the buttons you push (or the lever you move, or the box you check) in the voting booth is between you and your conscience. No one needs to know what your decision is. Agree with those "pressuring" you and then vote the way you feel is best for the country when it's just you and your ballot, together alone. No one will know unless you tell them.

• Love 4

I wonder why that ticket site is offering tickets to pre-taped shows? It says there are tickets available for tomorrow. They didn't offer any for last week which was a giveaway that they all were off. It's weird. I have Monday and Tuesdays on the DVR and will either delete or FF'd through them.

• Love 1

It was the worst of the worst panel today. Despite Sarandon's politics I think it is rediculous CCB and Raven can even begin to discuss their illustrious careers as actors - starting a 3 and 5, lol.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 5

This week isn't live?   No point in it in my opinion. 

I agree. I'm kind of glad these are taped shows though, because I skipped Monday not even knowing. I had just woken up and turned on the TV to see Jed's face, instantly turned it off, rolled over, and went back to sleep. Way too early to deal with that woman. I wanted to watch Tuesday because Michelle was there, but she's not good enough to make me endure the combined garbage of the other three.

• Love 2

If they aren't live shows this week, they must be taping for future taped weeks then, since the ticket site has them listed? I suppose today will tell. If they don't talk about yesterday's voting, taped, lol!

The author who wrote/talked abt addictions to social media was good, and she touched on the lack of depth too many kids are experiencing due to constant phone activity. Raven was there and said little, except that boys get pressured for nekkid selfies too. Michelle stepped on a concerned comment by CCB with a lame joke. Heh.

I don't understand this. They are rich. So what if they had to work to get the money--the end result is: they are now rich.  Unless the conversation was that they were born rich and didn't have to work to get their money? And as loathe as I am to use this line, because I loved the show and it saddens me that I can't watch it anymore, in the words of Claire Huxtable, rich is "when your money works for you" and not "when you work for your money." Candace and Raven may have started out as the latter, but they are now the former. So the can both take a gazillion million seats.

So it was cool that I deleted both episodes so far this week.

Same here. Now I can continue to catch up on Black Sails! Which reminds me, must remember to Google to determine which characters are based on real life pirates.

• Love 3

Yep, rich is rich.

It would have been nice if Sarandon had recognized her own wealth and luxury to have security when the revolution comes. Or at least talk abt her contribution to Sanders. .....if that's who she wants in the White House. She came off as incredibly arrogant as if she were more highly evolved than us weak minded females listening to our uteruses and mean ole feminists.....wait, what's that uterus? Vote for a woman! Or you'll what? Start menstruating again? Oh, Noooooooo.

• Love 11
She came off as incredibly arrogant as if she were more highly evolved than us weak minded females listening to our uteruses and mean ole feminists.....wait, what's that uterus? Vote for a woman! Or you'll what? Start menstruating again? Oh, Noooooooo.

Word.  If she really wanted to help Bernie, she should've cut a big, fat check and kept her mouth shut.

• Love 4

Raven and CCB had NO understanding that yes, they ARE rich!  Michele didn't say they were BORN rich, just that they are.   And yes, to the rest of America,  all the panelists on a national TV show are rich.   Even when the show started, WHoopi talked about people asking for crowd-funding for a birthday party, and Raven didn't see how that was a problem, because "you have to have a birthday party".   really?   To most people, if you can't afford a party, you don't have one.   But then again, to most people, you can host a birthday party by grilling burgers, or ordering pizza - you don't need a "go Fund Me'   account , and have a few dozen people at a club. 

Back to supporting kids - you have to be sensible.  For me, I helped my kids with college, but they took out the guaranteed federal student loans, and THEY pay those back.  Because I believe that kids value education more when it's not handed to them for free.  And, after graduation, my kids were allowed to live back at home - with the stipulation that they are responsible for certain chores - for one year.  After a year, we figured out expenses and they chipped in a certain amount toward the household, and saved up to move out on their own.  I know a lot of parents who are fully supporting their kids well into their 20's, and the author calling that "toxic"  was right.   I know one person who is taking a year off to "travel" - while his parents foot the bill, AND make payments toward his student loans.  And my kids have one friend, who, 5 years after college graduation, is still "looking for the right job"  while he sits in his parents basement playing video games. There is a social trend, called "emerging adulthood", where this generation is not taking on adult responsibilities until their 30's. 

• Love 6