Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Jamie must be adopted.  He is completely lacking the neanderthal gene that seems so prevalent in the rest of the family.  Having a Jamie-centered episode was such a nice change of pace.  And I enjoy Erin and the informant whenever he makes a visit.

Please writers, bring in a love interest for Jamie who fits his personality, value system, and lifestyle.  

• Love 11

TGND (Thank God No Danny) except for one wisecrack at the dinner table. "Ya can't save 'em all."

I really thought the mentally ill girl was killed by the father. (wrong)

I also knew it was one of the cops at the initial meeting in the alley and then seconds later the gun appears.

Danny's sons, the grandfather, and Erin's daughter are a waste of time (and money).

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

I thought that this episode along with last week's SUV both showed the failure of Cities that are overwhealmed with problems that can not be solved easily. Mental Health and CPS are on the top of the list.

• Love 2

The kicker? I didn't even realize no Danny until he dinner scene. And it honestly was one of the best episodes. Too bad next week will be back to normal, 48 minutes of Danny. Jamie needs a good woman so he can take her family as his. I will be interested to see how Jamie's new mental health assignment pans out or if we even ever see more about it. How will it turn out when it becomes obvious Danny is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to the mentally ill?

• Love 6

Have to agree with everyone that focusing on the likable characters made for a good episode. Don't know what was up - maybe Donnie Wahlberg was off working on one of his other projects or maybe he was home with Jenny and the kids (I hear they keep getting sick for some reason), but I hope it's not a one off. It would have been better if they could have found a way to work Len Cariou in to the FDNY plot, but it was still an enjoyable hour of television that made staying home with a sick dog a little more tolerable.

• Love 2

I love Jamie and wish he would get more air time.  The character is everything I cop should be.  I'm hoping this will lead to bigger and better things for Jamie.

I liked that the FDNY commish. didn't take nothing from Frank.  Nice to see it's not just me who doesn't think he walks on water.

Erin? EH!

• Love 6

I wish the show would separate Jamie and Eddie. I actively dislike the character.

The plot centered on Erin for me was more compelling than the Jamie plot, but that not saying much. I like the dynamic between Erin and Vincent, he's a great recurring character. The dirty cop and the mob plot could be stretched to the entire season, it's so fascinating. I was missing that detective Erin had worked with last season. They had been so good together. I wonder what happened to that? And now that Donny is on the show part-time, i would rather see Erin working with Baez.

The Jamie part of the episode was made in Very Special Episode kind of way. But I guess, Jamie, being a gentle soul that he is, is the one in the family who can pull that sort of straightforward PSAs off, because coming from him it sounds heartfelt and earnest.

Enjoyed FDNY and NYPD's struggles a lot! I think I liked everything with the FDNY Commissioner and Frank more that everything else this episode. The banter between Garrett and Syd was hilarious!

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 5

Jamie says to Frank: "I'd like you to consider putting up an advisory committee to study how the department can do a better job in dealing with the mentally ill."

I say to Jamie "Be careful what you wish for"

This will the theme for a future episode. You can bet on it.

• Love 1

I was rather surprised that the FDNY is jealous that police officers get all the credit and love. I thought that in NYC, especially since 9/11, firefighters were considered great heroes.

If anything, wouldn't the police feel that THEY are the ones not getting the love and credit?

Is this a real situation or is it just the world according to Frank Reagan?

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 5
If anything, wouldn't the police feel that THEY are the ones not getting the love and credit?

Maybe in Frank Reagon's mind he does and is jealous of all of the attention the firemen get?

It was so nice to have episode with barely any Danny. I liked Erin and Vincent. And liked Jamie getting more screen time.

If only Eddie could get less. But it was still really nice episode.

• Love 2

Don't know what was up - maybe Donnie Wahlberg was off working on one of his other projects or maybe he was home with Jenny and the kids (I hear they keep getting sick for some reason), but I hope it's not a one off.

He lives outside of Chicago now so I think that factors in a lot more.  Also I think the show wanted to focus more on Jamie this year.  

Is this a real situation or is it just the world according to Frank Reagan?

One of my friends has family in both police and fire departments and said that it's not that far off the mark when it comes to work relationships.

I would have to watch it again because I did mentally check out midway but I did enjoy the lack of yelling.

I was missing that detective Erin had worked with last season. They had been so good together. I wonder what happened to that?

Bridget posted a picture with James Lesure last month! https://instagram.com/p/7u5txmM74h/

One of my friends has family in both police and fire departments and said that it's not that far off the mark when it comes to work relationships.

Sad but true, even in my former home town, there tends to be tension with PD and FD. Comes down to one feels they are doing their job the right way and other is hindering them. Of course, you have to like the Fire Commissioner saying that Frank loved the press and talking to them. I wanted to go: "Really? What show have you been watching the last few years?" 

• Love 1

Watching Chicago Fire and Chicago PD clued me in to the fact that police and fire departments must have some sort of long-standing feud going on due to overlapping responsibilities - well at least in major US cities. The ice-hockey brawl mentioned at dinner really happened.

I enjoyed that for once Frank didn't get to walk over an opponent and bringing home a complete win. But I guess even for this show the idea that the NYPD has the final say no matter what's going on a crime scene was a step too far. (Better not piss off the NYFD if you want to shoot in NY.)

Enjoyed Jamie's subplot and as much as I'd like to see Eddi gone I don't think that's going to happen. Erin's plot was predictable but it was fun to seem Vincent again. Plus Erin got something to do beyond getting yelled at by Danny who was thankfully benched for this episode.

• Love 1

I wonder if the animosity would still exist if the cops made it a point to be in the great physical shape that the firemen are in (at least in my neck of the woods). 

Not understanding the Eddie hate either.

This was a near-perfect episode. No Danny on-the-job shenanigans, family discussion at supper, Linda gets more screen time than Danny. 

Danny joins the hunt for two escaped convicts after hearing one of them is someone he helped to wrongfully imprison. Also, Gormley criticizes a plan from Trey Delgado (Esai Morales), an NYPD sergeant who Gormley thinks is having an affair with his wife.

Jamie has been a patrol officer for how long? And we are supposed to believe that this is the first mentally ill person that he has ever come across? Or maybe he all of a sudden started caring about mentally ill people because this one happened to be kinda hot looking :D

The friend sending herself the death threats was so predictable in how she behaved with the security cop.

I wonder if Danny will tell Linda about the escaped convict he failed pointing a gun trying to kill him. 

• Love 3

Once again Frank excels in the "Can't Show Compassion" department.  His lack of empathy for Sid's pain really grates.  Why is this man always such an asshat to the people that bust their buns for him?

The college sub-plot was lame and predictable, especially since we never met the person what's her name was accusing of harassing her.  Way too much Nicki.

So, will we never hear Grandpa say "in my day..." again? He seems to be reduced to getting groceries.

And oh happy day!  Danny actually didn't go it alone.  Maybe he's finally getting a clue!

And on a side note (and I'm bad with names)  the federal marshal guy is as annoying here as he was as chief of d's on LOCI.  Nice to see him taken down a peg and the man is a talented actor.

• Love 2

The entire thing with Syd's wife cheating on him was sooooo predictable. When I saw her last year at Syd' promotion, I just knew it would go this way. Also, very predictable that none of them, including Syd, thought Syd should talk to his wife first, and not plan bloody murder or quitting or whatever manly posturing bullshit Syd was trying to pull off. It was like a afterthought when Frank suggested Syd to talk to his wife before the credits.

Side note, but it's laughable how those poor middle-aged men, Syd and Garrett, got screwed over by their wives. What are the odds?!

I like that Danny is back, and I like how he felt responsible for what happened with the convicted woman and even admitted it. I like clashes between characters where everyone's right, and it was not an exception. Glad to see that US Marshall from the last season, great recurring character!

Nikki's friend was emotionally unstable, and she obviously was sending a message for help via sending herself a death threats. Nikki's reaction to it was believable, IMO.

Hi, Jamie, bye, Jamie!

• Love 1

Frank was a prick in this episode. This guy is destroyed because he thinks his wife is cheating and Frank is concerned about asserting his authority.

Nikki was annoying to me as was the friend.

Danny was cool this episode

Still need more Jamie.

• Love 5

OK, it's official. I like this forum more than the show, and will watch the show from now on for the accompanying snark.

In the world of the show this week, I could observe:

Reporter: BAD!

Constitution: FOR SISSIES!

PTSD following a shooting: HUH? We get shot all the time.

FRANK: I'm like this because I'm constipated (that's the only reason I can figure out he screws up his face into that scowl all the time).

(Though I did like the cute matching outfits Jamie & Eddie were wearing when they were off-duty).

• Love 3
Jamie is investigated by Internal Affairs for possible police brutality caught on camera during an anti-policy demonstration. The investigation then becomes linked to Danny and Baez's rape case involving a civil rights attorney.

Well, I was gonna make a crack at Baez's question of "What's the Marshal Service doing here?" (there were a couple of prisoners on the run after all), but then the writers opened on us the biggest bag of cliches possible about Cops vs Federals, and I just couldn't keep up.

It's just as well, 'cause after Nicky's "This is at college, over values and principles" line, my laughing all through the rest of the episode made me too distracted to pay any real attention to what was going on.

• Love 1

Lesson of the episode: If you believe police brutality exists, if you believe that there is still racism and gender inequality you must be some over the top idealistic, liberal college student that will lie about being harassed and will end up trying to kill yourself.

I appreciate the subtlety though.  Is it possible that Nikki is getting even more annoying?  And do kids really deride other kids by calling them "commies" anymore?  I feel like I would laugh at someone who tried to insult me by saying that -- it sounds like such a McCarthy Era insult.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 6

Lesson of the episode: If you believe police brutality exists, if you believe that there is still racism and gender inequality you must be some over the top idealistic, liberal college student that will lie about being harassed and will end up trying to kill yourself.

I appreciate the subtlety though.  Is it possible that Nikki is getting even more annoying?  And do kids really deride other kids by calling them "commies" anymore?  I feel like I would laugh at someone who tried to insult me by saying that -- it sounds like such a McCarthy Era insult.

Well, this is Blue Bloods, the most right-wing show on TV not on Fox News. I mostly just hate-watch this show, in the hopes that one day it will be less predictable. 

• Love 7

Maybe an officer other than Danny should have executed that search warrant? How hard would it be to avoid yet another bias accusation?

They should have Baez to do that, at least! It would've worked better.

Wow, that beautiful lady in the independent investigation committee was annoying! I get she wanted to lord over "corrupted Reagans" or whatever. But at the end, when the video of the mom and kid on the streets was found, and she was still acting as if Frank pulled the strings to make the case against Jamie go away? What the hell? I'm glad Jamie gave her a verbal smack-down.

Liked Rvr. Potter and the Smarmy Lawyer vs Frank smashing. Political intrigues and push/pull between the participants are always the best parts of the show.

Oh, Jamie's at least preparing for the Sergeant exam! Yay.

Eddie was so self-centered about everything, as usual. She sent so many mixed signals about her statement to Jamie and then still got bitter and offended he'd think she was out for herself? Classic Eddie.

Erin's case was good, and I like that it had nothing to do with the overall plot.

• Love 3

Had the snarky woman on the investigatory committee not continued to snark after Jamie was clearly proven to be innocent, I would have been in favor of a romance between the two.  There were sparks there, and she could definitely shake up the Sunday dinners.  Frank and the gang need someone to tell them they are not above the law.  

Edited by TVFAN
  • Love 2

Ok now i'm starting to think Jamie needs a new partner. I'm starting to hate Eddie just like the rest you. Jamie was great as usual. And these people with their Regan vendetta is annoying.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 9

Still hate watching, and this episode is a perfect example why: it's not just that the Reagans are always in the right (and not to mention all pissy and sanctimonious about it), it's that anyone expressing the opposing point of view is shown as a fool and a tool. Apparently it's not enough for the Reagans to be right; everyone else has to be wrong.

Then there's the tons of exposition and stilted dialogue. Never a hint of subtext; everything has to be spelled out explicitly.

And even Jamie was pissing me off. He (and sometimes Erin) was the voice of reason on this show. But, here he was, all whiney and entitled. I thought that he, of all people, would understand the optics of the situation. As for the Asian woman conducting the investigation, had the writers dialed her back just a little, she and Jamie might have followed up on the spark. But, again, everything on this show has to be black and white, no room for the shades of gray which is where most people live.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 6

"CBS programming understands the demographics of this show's viewers, and write accordingly."

So the "Mature" demographic is 69+. Well, check back with me in a few years. But, if it's still on the air, I'm pretty sure I'll still be hate watching with the same complaints.

• Love 2
The last remaining Mustang from the film "Bullit" is stolen, so Danny and Baez investigate. Elsewhere, Erin clashes with Frank when she sides with her boss on a matter involving cops being held accountable for fixing traffic tickets.

Still hate watching, and this episode is a perfect example why: it's not just that the Reagans are always in the right (and not to mention all pissy and sanctimonious about it), it's that anyone expressing the opposing point of view is shown as a fool and a tool. Apparently it's not enough for the Reagans to be right; everyone else has to be wrong.

Then there's the tons of exposition and stilted dialogue. Never a hint of subtext; everything has to be spelled out explicitly.

And even Jamie was pissing me off. He (and sometimes Erin) was the voice of reason on this show. But, here he was, all whiney and entitled. I thought that he, of all people, would understand the optics of the situation. As for the Asian woman conducting the investigation, had the writers dialed her back just a little, she and Jamie might have followed up on the spark. But, again, everything on this show has to be black and white, no room for the shades of gray which is where most people live.

I didn't think Jamie was "whiney". He was rightly annoyed at being falsely accused.

There really isn't a lot of grey area in the disputes between the race pimps like "Reverend" Sharpton...I mean Potter and the police. The police are in the right about 99.44% of the time.

It is silly how Danny always investigates cases that directly affect his family members. At least they kept Erin out of this one.

It was strange how the Asian DA considered it "pulling strings" when they found video conclusively proving that Jamie was innocent. How dare they interfere with her witch hunt. And no way to her and Jamie getting together. Nothing can stop the Jeddy ship. :)

Looks like they are doing a fun episode next week. Should be a nice relief from all the Reagan's lives, careers and NYC itself being in grave danger episodes.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1

It was strange how the Asian DA considered it "pulling strings" when they found video conclusively proving that Jamie was innocent.

Technically the Reagans did "pull stings" (though pulling strings would not be the words I would use).  Frank and Danny each put pressure on the Reverend to get the video that would exonerate Jamie.  If not for their actions, then the video would not have shown up.  Would they have done this for just any officer accused?  Not sure the ADA would know the circumstances to say what she did though. 

I found it harder to believe an ADA would go after the brother of a colleague in the same office in such a heavy handed, hard ass way.  You know Erin has rank and you wouldn't come right out and be so upfront obnoxious to her brother.  But, as this is Blue Bloods, wont be any follow-up with Erin and ADA as to what do you think you were doing to my brother?  No, that was not "your job!", as Jamie wont ever tell Erin as it doesn't revolve around Frank and everything gets brushed over anyway.

What I wanted to know is why Jamie appeared to be the officer in charge at the demonstration?  Would totally be the job of a supervisor (in white shirts, I think, who were present), not a patrol officer.  I know, he is the star and a Reagan. 

Edited by Bazinga

"There really isn't a lot of grey area in the disputes between the race pimps like 'Reverend' Sharpton...I mean Potter and the police. The police are in the right about 99.44% of the time."

That's exactly my point!

In real life disputes between police and the public, there CAN BE a lot of grey area. What frustrates me is that the show absofuckinglutely refuses to acknowledge those grey areas. But, the optics matter. And when the police are not in the right (have to wonder if that's really 0.56% of the time?), the circumstances ought to be presented as more than just plot points designed to prop the Reagans.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 3
Nothing can stop the Jeddy ship. :)

Jeddy:) Unfortunate if that's the case, but show runners are going to do what they are going to do. I find the chemistry lacking & the kiss they shared was frankly awkward from where I sat.

When Jamie whined last night as though he had no perspective or understanding of the situation, Jamie reminded me of Eddy with her typical meathead, self-focused approach to every situation. It felt like Eddy was rubbing off on him & I did not find it a good look. I also recalled Eddy's prior slams on cops who turned on partners who frankly had it coming. I couldn't help envisioning how Eddy would respond to Jamie telling her what he would say might not be good for her. I imagined a full blown tantrum rather than the maturity Jamie responded to Eddy with... Having watched the show since the beginning, I wish lone wolf on Jamie before Jeddy. 

• Love 4

Jeddy:) Unfortunate if that's the case, but show runners are going to do what they are going to do. I find the chemistry lacking & the kiss they shared was frankly awkward from where I sat.

When Jamie whined last night as though he had no perspective or understanding of the situation, Jamie reminded me of Eddy with her typical meathead, self-focused approach to every situation. It felt like Eddy was rubbing off on him & I did not find it a good look. I also recalled Eddy's prior slams on cops who turned on partners who frankly had it coming. I couldn't help envisioning how Eddy would respond to Jamie telling her what he would say might not be good for her. I imagined a full blown tantrum rather than the maturity Jamie responded to Eddy with... Having watched the show since the beginning, I wish lone wolf on Jamie before Jeddy.

I think they would be better suited as lovers than partners. They care for each other enjoy each others company but their policing philosophies are a bit different. Eddy is more old school, thin blue line and Jamie is a bit of a reformer. I think Danny and Henry would love having her around the dinner table on Sundays.

I also found it a bit odd that Eddy didn't have Jamie's back if it meant lying for him, as that was what she used to believe a partner should do. I think maybe Jamie is rubbing off on Eddy.

• Love 1

. I think Danny and Henry would love having her around the dinner table on Sundays.

That's actually a good idea.  I can't remember if it's been established that Danny likes her because they have the same mind set about policing.  But Henry would love her at Sunday dinner. 

• Love 1

Maybe in Frank Reagon's mind he does and is jealous of all of the attention the firemen get?

It was so nice to have episode with barely any Danny. I liked Erin and Vincent. And liked Jamie getting more screen time.

If only Eddie could get less. But it was still really nice episode.

There is a big rivalry between the NYPD and FDNY in real life. The brawl at the hockey game that Danny's son mentioned was a true story.

What a dud of an episode. So many missed opportunities. Why not have Garrett use his contacts and persuasive skills to convince the reporter to cooperate? Maybe after Frank makes it worse somehow? You know - show instead of tell and set up the scene asking him to stay? Or have Danny discover his address, consider charging in and then decide to use his brain instead and set up the sting suggesting he is responsive to his family's concerns and perhaps learned something after getting beat up for the 900th time? At the very least it seems like this show used to handle these kind of plot lines by having Frank make a speech to the selfish outsider convincing them to do whatever the NYPD wants and give us a good Tom Selleck scene. I'm not expecting this show to be anything other than predictable and straightforward, but it is usually competent. And that's without even getting into how offensive the whole big scary black man goes around shooting cops for no reason thing is...

The "scary black man goes around shooting cops for no reason" thingis ripped straight from the headlines. There have been multiple such incidents since the race baiters stirred up the Ferguson riots, including one in NYC.

I know, if NYC wants to improve their crime stats they will find a way to move Danny to Connecticut

Why would you say that? While some of his methods might be questionable, he always solves the case.

I always interview people who have been known to be violent against me when I am on roofs, and I prefer that those meetings be alone so that no one is around if things go sideways; it adds to the adventure. Doesn't everyone?

Reminds me Jesse on Breaking Bad scolding Walt for setting up the drug deal with Tuco in a junk yard rather than a safe place like the mall or Taco Cabeza. :)

The "scary black man goes around shooting cops for no reason" thingis ripped straight from the headlines. There have been multiple such incidents since the race baiters stirred up the Ferguson riots, including one in NYC.

I sure hope they rip one from the headlines about the white dude that shot up a movie theater.  Or the white dude that shot up a black church.

Its funny to me that people blame "race baiters" because if they had no bait there likely wouldn't be anything for people to get upset over.

Why would you say that? While some of his methods might be questionable, he always solves the case.

Reminds me Jesse on Breaking Bad scolding Walt for setting up the drug deal with Tuco in a junk yard rather than a safe place like the mall or Taco Cabeza. :)

Its a joke -- Danny is at the scene of 99% of the crimes.  If he went away apparently there would be no more crime in NYC.

But again.....joke.  

• Love 1

I'm not even sure I can hate watch this show anymore. The subtext/takeaway from this episode was:

Stupid First Amendment, letting people protest!

The Civil Rights lawyer is a sleaze and a jerk, but women make up rape charges

Also, anyone who dares question the Reagans has an ulterior motive and is inherently a bad person

The last shot of Frank sitting down to dinner with said sleazy civil rights lawyer implied that while the powerful white guys might fight amongst themselves, they still run things. (Frank sits down to dinner with sleazy lawyers, his fellow civil servants, but rarely if ever anyone of color).

In the Reagan PD, they've never actually addressed systematic police brutality against people of color.

Edited by yeswedo
removed non-episode content
  • Love 3

Folks, this is not the place to have a debate about police practices and race relations between cops and civilians. Keep the discussion to the show. This gets heated way too fast.

Non-episode related posts have been removed.