Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

"Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
And I'm bound to keep on riding
And I've got one more silver dollar
But I'm not gonna let them catch me, no
Not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider"

One of my favorite songs of all time. RIP Gregg.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

"Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding
And I'm bound to keep on riding
And I've got one more silver dollar
But I'm not gonna let them catch me, no
Not gonna let 'em catch the Midnight Rider"

One of my favorite songs of all time. RIP Gregg.

I admit to not being a huge fan of the Allman Brothers' music but liked their musicianship. "Midnight Rider" and "Melissa" are my favorite songs by them. RIP.

• Love 2
(edited)

I always go "Oh that's right!" whenever I remember he and Cher were married briefly in the 70s and had a son together(Elijah Blue). I like this quote on first meeting her: “She smelled like what I imagine a mermaid would smell—I’ve never smelled it since and I’ll never forget it,” and his thoughts on former stepchild Chastity, now Chaz: “It’s not your everyday thing, but I just hope he’s happy and I wish him a very long, successful life.”

ETA: Cher tweeted:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8

I don't know anything about Jim Bunning's politics and I don't give a shit either way, but he was a great pitcher and I loved it whenever he made it to Philadelphia for Alumni Weekend. 

He'll definitely be missed.

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, ebk57 said:

RIP Frank Deford

He did his last commentary on NPR just a few weeks ago.  A shame he couldn't enjoy retirement for very long.

One of the finest sports writers & commentators, ever.  I enjoyed reading & listening to him.  They don't make 'em (or teach journalism) like that anymore.

RIP Sir.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3
On 5/24/2017 at 1:15 AM, bmasters9 said:

Wayne Walker, former Detroit Lion linebacker and placekicker, who played in 200 regular-season games in his career with Detroit from 1958-72 (according to Wikipedia, the second most for a defensive player then), has passed on at 80 from complications of Parkinson's. After his retirement, he worked on CBS generally on NFL broadcasts (I haven't seen him on anything else), and was also on sports on KPIX Channel 5 Eyewitness News in San Francisco from 1974-94. Also according to Wikipedia, he was a 3-time Pro Bowl selection, and a 3-time All-Pro. 

More on him from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Walker

Also, a couple of screen captures of him after his playing career (these when he was a CBS NFL color man back in '85 [this alongside Dick Stockton], and on sports on KPIX Channel 5 in S.F. in 1988 [talent credit at the top of a 6 P.M. broadcast]).

waynewalkercbs1985.jpg

kpix1988-4.jpg

Also, an obit from the Mercury News of San Jose:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/19/longtime-popular-bay-area-sportscaster-dies/

Aw.  He was the sports guy on my local news for a long time. I really liked him. 

(edited)

Elena Verdugo, who was nurse Consuelo Lopez on the classic 1969-76 ABC medical series Marcus Welby, M.D. (alongside the late Robert Young as the title character, and James Brolin as his partner Dr. Steven Kiley), has passed on at 92. RIP!

Obit from Deadline Hollywood: 

http://deadline.com/2017/05/elena-verdugo-dead-marcus-welby-m-d-meet-millie-1202105173/

Title credit from Marcus Welby, M.D. (from second-season [1970-71] DVD release from Shout! Factory):

elenaverdugomarcuswelby.jpg

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Oh wow.  I remember her.  RIP, Ms. Verdugo.

I recall seeing her from the DVDs of Marcus Welby, M.D. (Shout! has only released two seasons' worth, and I thought they would release more, as classic as that ABC medical series has been). 

• Love 1
(edited)

California-born Elena Verdugo ,who capped off a very long career   by playing the forthright nurse Consuelo Lopez on "Marcus Welby", died Tuesday, May 30 at age 92 in her hometown of Los Angeles. Her only child Richard Marion had died of heart attack at age 50 in 1999 but she is survived by two granddaughters actresses Jessie S. and Maggie Marion. 

I'd also like to add that she was a descendant of some of the earliest Spanish settlers in California who once owned most of the land comprising of Burbank and Glendale. I hope   her surviving family is proud of that. RIP, Miss Verdugo.

Edited by Blergh
addendum
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

Aw, sad to hear about Norman 'Cleggy' Clegg! He had the unenviable task of playing the 'straight man' voice of reason to all these zany characters in that picturesque but bizarre Yorkshire town but he did it flawlessly and his dry wit helped the others bounce off their zingers. Well, 96 is an excellent age to reach (and he did manage to be in every single episode in a series that endured 37 years [!] even though 'Cleggy' had become a virtual shut in towards the end- due to Mr. Sallis's age and mobility issues catching up to him.RIP, 'Cleggy' and lets hope Compo's there to greet you!

• Love 3

Roger Smith, 77 Sunset Strip Star & Husband/Manager of Entertainer Ann-Margret, Dead at Age 84.

6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Aw, sad to hear about Norman 'Cleggy' Clegg! He had the unenviable task of playing the 'straight man' voice of reason to all these zany characters in that picturesque but bizarre Yorkshire town but he did it flawlessly and his dry wit helped the others bounce off their zingers. Well, 96 is an excellent age to reach (and he did manage to be in every single episode in a series that endured 37 years [!] even though 'Cleggy' had become a virtual shut in towards the end- due to Mr. Sallis's age and mobility issues catching up to him.RIP, 'Cleggy' and lets hope Compo's there to greet you!

I think I also read he did voices for Spongebob Squarepants.

49 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Noooo!  I haven't seen him since 77 Sunset Strip but I really liked him back then.  He was so cool.

I never saw that, but Roger Smith was also adult Patrick Dennis in "Auntie Mame." He was quite handsome.

And RIP Wallace. What's Gromit going to do without you?

• Love 1
(edited)

Ann-Margret was in a show at the theatre where I worked (I don't remember which show and I'm not going to look it up now) and Roger Smith was always there with her, carrying her little yappy dog in a basket.  He was very nice.  And so was she.  

RIP

ETA: I looked it up - it was Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 1
(edited)

Former Buffalo Bills Wide Receiver James Hardy III (he played for them in 2008 & 2009), who's from my hometown (& was a former local high school football--& basketball--star), was found dead in a local river yesterday afternoon.

http://www.wpta21.com/story/35621291/coroner-identifies-man-found-in-maumee-river-as-former-nfl-player

EDITING TO ADD: Hardy was 31. He also played for the Baltimore Ravens, from which he was released in 2011. Our local news says he didn't necessarily commit suicide; he could've fallen into the river, had a medical emergency resulting in falling into the river, or gotten in there some other way. They've done tests which'll take a few weeks to get the results back, which they hope may shed more light on/clarify the cause of death. However, local news also says his mother reported him missing around May 30th.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add more info.
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

So sad, I always enjoyed her work as an actress.  Didn't she also have a role in ER during its early seasons?

This obit says she was in the 3rd season of ER. And she was apparently working on an original series airing on Hulu at the time of her death.

(edited)

I remember her most fondly from ER when she was the pediatric surgeon who mentored and dated Carter and liked her clashes with Benton. Last thing I saw her in was as Ben Wyatt's mom on Parks and Recreation.

34 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

She was great in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Agreed. She held her own with Michael Caine and Steve Martin! And that ending, she was fantastic.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Agreed. She held her own with Michael Caine and Steve Martin! And that ending, she was fantastic.

Definitely.  Aside from the fact that it was hilarious, the twist that the "mark" turned out to be the true mastermind, screwing over both Steve and Michael right underneath their noses was why I loved that movie.  And I loved how they all wound up forming their own con-team at the end.

RIP to you, The Jackal.

• Love 2

From TMZ:

9:10 AM PT -- Sources connected to Glenne tell us she had checked in to a hospital last week to get treatment for blood clots. We're told she seemed to be getting better, but things took a turn Thursday.

RIP, Ms. Headly.  Loved her in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Mr. Holland's Opus and more.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, jah1986 said:

Didn't she also have a role in ER during its early seasons?

Yes, and Pop TV just recently aired the first six seasons in syndication (they're starting over now, and then hopefully carrying on with the final nine), so she's very fresh in my mind from that role.

• Love 1

More speculation on Ms. Headly's cause of death.  I did not know that Garry Shandling's death is now thought to have been caused by blood clots:

It’s still not clear how blood clots had contributed to Glenne Headly’s cause of death, but a fact sheet from the National Institutes of Health describes a potentially fatal condition called deep vein thrombosis, or DVT. These are blood clots that “form in a vein deep in the body,” which could occur for a variety of reasons, such as a lack of motion, a sufferer’s blood being thicker than normal, or damage to a vein’s inner lining. DVT often occurs in patients older than 60, or with a history of being overweight or obese. When the blood clots reach the lungs and block blood flow, this results in a pulmonary embolism, which could damage the lungs and cause a patient’s death.

One famous person who may have had a similar cause of death to Glenne Headly is comedian Garry Shandling, who died in March 2016 after he had developed blood clots in his lungs. According to USA Today, a report from the Los Angeles coroner’s office had determined his cause of death in December that year, after thoroughly reviewing his medical records and toxicology tests. Initially, it was believed that Shandling had suffered a fatal heart attack, but Variety noted that the comedian had complained one day before his death about leg pain and shortness of breath; the latter of which is the most common symptom of a pulmonary embolism.

Sorry if this info feels premature or morbid.  As someone just over 60 myself, I'm a bit shaken by this kind of news.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

More speculation on Ms. Headly's cause of death.  I did not know that Garry Shandling's death is now thought to have been caused by blood clots:

Sorry if this info feels premature or morbid.  As someone just over 60 myself, I'm a bit shaken by this kind of news.

It's hard to believe that Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was released almost 30 years ago ! I remember when it came out and it sure doesn't seem like it should be that long ago.

Blood clots, as noted, can be really bad news. Last year I had a bunch of stuff happen, the cause of which my doctors never really figure out, but not for lack of trying. Anyway, my legs swelled up and my docs had me get an ultrasound on both legs. At that point, I didn't even know that was a thing. It's pretty much the same as a regular ultrasound, except they run the scope over your legs. Fortunately, for me, they didn't find any. The sad thing is, blood clots often have no symptoms, or maybe feel like the flu or something, so it can kill you fast if not treated. It's a sad thing.

13 hours ago, jah1986 said:

So sad, I always enjoyed her work as an actress.  Didn't she also have a role in ER during its early seasons?

I loved her as Abby Keaton on ER. She was just marvelous at knocking Peter Benton down a peg.

She was also fantastic as Dr. Mary Guinan in And the Band Played On.

• Love 4