Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

According to Barry Williams, she had quite the bawdy sense of humor.

RIP, Florence. :(

I remember her raunchy tango on Dancing with the Stars. It horrified a lot of people because they didn't like thinking of "Mrs. Brady" or a (then) 76-year-old doing that, but I quite admired her for it. Then she turned up on the show a few weeks ago to wish Maureen McCormick well. What an awful surprise to find out she's gone. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, GreekGeek said:

I remember her raunchy tango on Dancing with the Stars. It horrified a lot of people because they didn't like thinking of "Mrs. Brady" or a (then) 76-year-old doing that, but I quite admired her for it. Then she turned up on the show a few weeks ago to wish Maureen McCormick well. What an awful surprise to find out she's gone. 

Wow. I didn't know that she showed up on it recently. I'll have to see if I can find footage of it.

On 11/25/2016 at 10:52 AM, legaleagle53 said:

She was at the finale.  I saw her in the audience several times.

Cool.

And I just found out she was in the video for one of my favorite Weird Al songs, Amish Paradise! Thank you so much, Al, for posting that picture via your Twitter. I love that song, it's one of my favorites and it's cool to find out that she was a part of it.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

47 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Wow. I didn't know that she showed up on it recently. I'll have to see if I can find footage of it.

Not just the finale. She was there to give Maureen support in the first or second week, and then again when Maureen danced to The Brady Bunch theme. 

I posted in the show thread that in addition to her own family being devastated, that her Brady kids must also be devastated and that I'm sure Maureen is glad she was able to have time with her "Mom" on DWTS.

• Love 3

I was just reading all of the celebrity tributes to her via Twitter, and I have to say that this one really hurts, probably more than any other celebrity death I've read about.  To see that she was so beloved by everyone in Hollywood and to think that I grew up watching her -- it's just devastating to me to think that she's not around anymore, especially since no one was expecting it based upon how she looked as recently as last Monday on DWTS.

People on here have asked why so many of 2016's celebrity deaths have hit so much harder than previous celebrity deaths did in previous years. THIS is why.  We're starting to see the people of our own youth whom we grew up loving and admiring die off, and it's a sobering and saddening reminder that that part of our lives is gone forever and is never coming back.  When we mourn them, we're also mourning a little bit for a part of our own selves that we cherished and wanted to hold on to forever.

Incidentally, if you go into the Brady Bunch forum, there's a thread set up specifically dedicated to remembering Florence Henderson.  I think you'll find a sizeable wake going on there throughout the day today.  Feel free to bring your Thanksgiving leftovers.

• Love 21
3 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I hate 2016 so much, but thanks to our President-Elect, I am absolutely terrified of 2017-2020.

I realize this thread is the home of hyperbole, but it's kind of silly to waste five years of your life.

Florence was blessed to go suddenly and unexpectedly, living happy and healthy to the last minute.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not just the finale. She was there to give Maureen support in the first or second week, and then again when Maureen danced to The Brady Bunch theme. 

I posted in the show thread that in addition to her own family being devastated, that her Brady kids must also be devastated and that I'm sure Maureen is glad she was able to have time with her "Mom" on DWTS.

In fact, Florence was in the audience every week until Maureen got kicked off to support her. They didn't always highlight her, but she did stand out in the crowd. She was definitely one of the great ones.

• Love 3

I try not to get TOO angry at 2016, because sometimes it's tiring feeling so negative about the year (and think of all the babies born this year! They can't help when they were born!), but the Cubs winning the World Series this year really was the best thing of the year, hands down. I guess to finally win it, everything, well almost everything else this year, had to suck.

4 hours ago, UYI said:

I try not to get TOO angry at 2016, because sometimes it's tiring feeling so negative about the year (and think of all the babies born this year! They can't help when they were born!), but the Cubs winning the World Series this year really was the best thing of the year, hands down. I guess to finally win it, everything, well almost everything else this year, had to suck.

Us Indian fans have a different viewpoint.

• Love 3

As a South Floridian, I will probably never heard the end of this story, at least until Christmas.

No doubt, the impact from Castro's revolution was probably most deeply felt here........according to older natives, there are 2 Miami's: The sleepy retirement village type of area  that it was prior to the Mariel boatlift, and the international hotspot it's become since the vast amount of exiles arrived here. I wonder if Miami still would have a gained a large Cuban identity if Castro's revolution failed and US friendly Batista stayed in power?

Anyway.....good riddance, Castro.

• Love 3

The only "good" thing I have to say abt Castro is: he had an amazing ability to stay in power, rivaled only by Franco.

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I normally don't wish death on anyone.   I make an exception for dictators.   Fidel Castro dead at 90.   Doesn't make up for all the good ones taken this year. 

And take Kim Jong Il with you...

• Love 6

I'm not broken up over THAT death.

Whike there were some good things about 2016 (Cubs winning, Leo won an Oscar, good movies), my theory is that 2016 knew people were going to vote for a Trump, and for that travesty, 2016 wanted to punish the human race as much as possible. Just a theory...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Finally, 2016 got one right!

There were others it got right too, like child molester Lou Pearlman. 

Edited by UYI
Because a year is a thing, not a man or a woman.
6 hours ago, roamyn said:

The only "good" thing I have to say abt Castro is: he had an amazing ability to stay in power, rivaled only by Franco.

Statistically, Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe, 92, is likely to be the next to go.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I wonder if Miami still would have a gained a large Cuban identity if Castro's revolution failed and US friendly Batista stayed in power?

Good point.  I wonder though if Batista stayed in power if most of the Cubans who left would have been black instead of the white ones who are in Miami now and are quite racist, from what I have heard.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, roamyn said:

He's already gone. I think you mean boy-dictator Kim Jong-Un? With the seemingly-obligatory dorky haircut?

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

NOOOOO!!!!!!!?????

Just STOP IT, 2016!!!??????

This is incredible! First Florence, then Ron! Why are we losing so many so quickly?!?

Well, at least Ron's best work (Barney Miller) is in full on DVD, so no worries there.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Why are we losing so many so quickly?!?

There is always a flurry of deaths around the holidays.  I can' t be the only one who noticed this. The season's just begun.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, riley702 said:

He's already gone. I think you mean boy-dictator Kim Jong-Un? With the seemingly-obligatory dorky haircut?

Duh.  I get them confused.   Thank you.

RIP Mr. Glass.  First rate character actor.

FU 2016

48 minutes ago, ennui said:

There is always a flurry of deaths around the holidays.  I can' t be the only one who noticed this. The season's just begun.

I work in the cemetery business, and this is true.  Stress, cold, loneliness all play factors.

• Love 4

Mr. Glass dying is hitting me hard. Barney Miller is one of my favorite shows and I just think 71 is too young to go. Maybe because I'm 50 now. Anyway I couldn't find any details on this so don't know why he died, if it was sickness or what.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, festivus said:

Mr. Glass dying is hitting me hard. Barney Miller is one of my favorite shows and I just think 71 is too young to go. Maybe because I'm 50 now. Anyway I couldn't find any details on this so don't know why he died, if it was sickness or what.

The one article I read stated no cause of death was provided.

*sob* Ron Glass's death leaves only Hal Linden, Barbara Barrie, and Max Gail of the core Barney Miller cast still alive. I loved that show so much, and Harris was a wonderful character. Ron Glass had the best sarcastic delivery; I still remember his "I do not need Queens!" in the finale when he was deciding to pursue writing full time. He was great in the more serious moments also, i.e. when he was outraged at being mistaken for a suspect and shot at because he was Black.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 8