Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, UYI said:

I did not know this. This is where I live.

I'm taking this harder than I thought considering I didn't watch 90210 and I only really know Luke Perry from the Buffy movie. He was the same age as me and he has so many people that thought highly of him. It's just so sad.

• Love 7

This has hit me very hard. I don't know why. I was an avid, avid watcher of 90210, but the only actors who I was familiar with when it premiered, was Shannen Doherty and Brian Austin Green. The former from Little House on the Prairie, and the latter from Knots Landing. I didn't really watch Loving, but I recall seeing one scene of Luke when he was on it, but it didn't click for me when I saw him on 90210. Just like Dallas and Law & Order was a family staple, so was Beverly Hills, 90210. It was a show I watched with my sister and parents. It was a show that EVERYONE in my classes at college, would make sure to tune into to watch. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with Dylan, and he and Brandon were my favorite characters until Brandon turned all smug.

From everything I'd seen, Luke always seemed like a nice guy. But he was taken much too soon. Much too soon.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Anela said:

My mum didn't have a stroke, she had an aneurysm, and two different surgeries before she died. If you have Netflix, don't watch the new show with the blonde featured when you open the site or the app (this is to anyone who might be upset by it). I started, and the middle-aged mother has cancer, and dies in the first episode. I fast-forwarded through all of the scenes with the husband (Billy Baldwin) sitting with her on the hospital bed, and then the funeral, after I heard, "she never had a chance to say goodbye" "it was too fast". Ugh. I never had a chance to say goodbye to my mum, and I wasn't at the hospital that night, because dad had taken me to a different town to get a few things that I needed, plus a little break at the bookstore I hadn't visited for over a month. He gave me a backpack, so that I could carry my books around at the hospital, and then he dropped me off to be with the dogs, since they'd been alone all day. I said, "I should be there" and then I called when he had been gone for a few minutes, and said again, "I should be there". Then we got the call about an hour after he got home. 

The name of the Netflix show is Northern Rescue

• Useful 1
(edited)

Dear 2019:

Please don't be like 2016, when all the greats passed away.

VS

P.S.  I had a crush on KKB when he was on Married...with Children, RIP

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/wwe-legend-king-kong-bundy-dies-at-61/ar-BBUojmU?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

Reading all the beautiful tributes about Luke brings me back to when Kristoff St. John died....two beautiful men taken from us too soon.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Vixenstud said:

Dear 2019:

Please don't be like 2016, when all the greats passed away.

VS

P.S.  I had a crush on KKB when he was on Married...with Children, RIP

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/wwe-legend-king-kong-bundy-dies-at-61/ar-BBUojmU?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

Reading all the beautiful tributes about Luke brings me back to when Kristoff St. John died....two beautiful men taken from us too soon.

In the days before WWF (now WWE) used the power of its television reach to pretty much crush all the regional promotions, some of those regionals prospered quite nicely.  World Class Championship Wrestling, based in Dallas, used to nearly fill Texas Stadium, home of the Cowboys.  Their promoter/lead hero was a man named Jack Adkisson, who'd made a lot of important connections while playing football for Southern Methodist in the late 1940s, and thus was well supported in the community under his "Fritz von Erich" wrestling alias.  His "retirement" match* in 1983 saw Fritz taking on King Kong Bundy:

(*-Unfortunately, Jack/Fritz was a fine businessman, but a horrible parent.  He wanted so much to live through his five sons [seen at the end] that he drove them to alcohol and steroid abuse as they tried to live up to his "legacy".  Of the five sons, one overdosed and three others committed suicide. Fritz did return for one final match the following May, after son David had overdosed in Japan.

But in 1983, all of this was in the future.  Fritz still had sons…and Bundy still had hair. Au revoir, "Atlantic City Express.")

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This has hit me very hard. I don't know why. I was an avid, avid watcher of 90210, but the only actors who I was familiar with when it premiered, was Shannen Doherty and Brian Austin Green. The former from Little House on the Prairie, and the latter from Knots Landing. I didn't really watch Loving, but I recall seeing one scene of Luke when he was on it, but it didn't click for me when I saw him on 90210. Just like Dallas and Law & Order was a family staple, so was Beverly Hills, 90210. It was a show I watched with my sister and parents. It was a show that EVERYONE in my classes at college, would make sure to tune into to watch. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with Dylan, and he and Brandon were my favorite characters until Brandon turned all smug.

From everything I'd seen, Luke always seemed like a nice guy. But he was taken much too soon. Much too soon.

When I saw the 90210 premiere the only person I recognized was Jason Priestly because he had just been in an NBC sitcom the year before called "Sister Kate" about a British nun taking care of foster kids and Priestly was one of the kids. Seeing him on this new show was how I found out they cancelled it! Coincidentally the actress who played "Sister Kate", Stephanie Beacham would play Dylan McKay's mom Iris.(Actually researching this I discovered the show was created by the producer "Mr. Belvedere". Guess he wanted to continue the "Sarcastic British person looks after smartass American kids" formula!

I watched a lot of wrestling when I was a kid, so King Kong Bundy and Mean Gene Okerlund  passing feels like part of my childhood is gone.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

King Kong Bundy is the reason the Bundys of Married...with Children got their name. 

I read about that a long time ago! I also wonder if "King Hippo" in the NES Mike Tyson's Punchout game was based him?

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

When I saw the 90210 premiere the only person I recognized was Jason Priestly because he had just been in an NBC sitcom the year before called "Sister Kate" about a British nun taking care of foster kids and Priestly was one of the kids. Seeing him on this new show was how I found out they cancelled it! Coincidentally the actress who played "Sister Kate", Stephanie Beacham would play Dylan McKay's mom Iris.(Actually researching this I discovered the show was created by the producer "Mr. Belvedere". Guess he wanted to continue the "Sarcastic British person looks after smartass American kids" formula!

I remember that show! And I thought Priestly was just a doofus! I think I only watched one episode. But ironically enough, after 90210 premiered, Disney had some movie starring both Shannen and Jason, where Jason was her Guardian Angel, and was from the 1950s!

But back to Luke. I think I watched most of his post-90210 work. I remember him providing the voice for Rick, Bruce Banner's teenage, cowboy hat wearin', motorcycle drivin' sidekick, when The Animated Incredible Hulk returned in the early 90s. You had Neal McDonough as Bruce/Hulk, Genie Francis as Betty (until she was replaced with the horrid Phelice Sampler).

It's just sad all around.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

#3 on that list, Eva Fay, is the daughter of Harry Anderson (Night Court).

Her story was the one that touched me the most, in its simplicity -- Perry was a great next-door neighbor to her grandpa and aunt, and would even come over to change light bulbs for them.

As I mentioned when his stroke was announced, despite his long career and 90210 hoopla, I had hardly seen him in anything; I "knew" him best from an episode of Major Crimes (and Mary McDonnell was among the many who just worked with him briefly yet took the time to publicly state how wonderful he was).  So I don't have an emotional connection to his death like I have/will have with a few actors whose roles and off-camera activism really resonate with me.  Yet I find myself more affected by his death than I would have thought.  I knew he had a reputation as a nice, down-to-earth guy, but having that so thoroughly and specifically confirmed is really touching me.  People have died younger, after much harder lives, without the resources to pass on to the family left behind, without recognition, etc. -- I'm certainly not claiming the loss of him is any worse because he was famous.  But in a world, never mind an industry, where we're not exactly tripping over "humble, decent dudes," it's sad to see one die at only 52.

• Love 15

Here in Cleveland, there has been a fair amount of local coverage of Luke Perry's death as he was from Fredericktown, OH, a couple hours south.  He campaigned for Ohio's US Senator Sherrod Brown, who was also from F'town.  Brown's father was an obstetrician and he delivered Luke. so he'd known the family literally his entire life.  Many, many stories of how he returned to town often to support local businesses, see old friends and attend various festivals and such.  The news spoke to a lot of folks who'd gone to school with him, were neighbors as kids and the like and every single one commented on how he never changed, was always the same great guy and happy to see them any time he was in town.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Here in Cleveland, there has been a fair amount of local coverage of Luke Perry's death as he was from Fredericktown, OH, a couple hours south.  He campaigned for Ohio's US Senator Sherrod Brown, who was also from F'town.  Brown's father was an obstetrician and he delivered Luke. so he'd known the family literally his entire life.  Many, many stories of how he returned to town often to support local businesses, see old friends and attend various festivals and such.  The news spoke to a lot of folks who'd gone to school with him, were neighbors as kids and the like and every single one commented on how he never changed, was always the same great guy and happy to see them any time he was in town.

• Love 7
On 3/1/2019 at 1:05 PM, Vixenstud said:

Oh yeah, FUCK Alzheimer's!!

Alzheimer's stole my great-grandmother away from me over the course of a decade and finished the job in January.

I could not agree with you more.

Fuck Alzheimer's!

All these Luke Perry stories are making me teary. He seemed like an all-around decent dude.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Damn!  #19 will blow you away.

Rest well, Luke.

*wipes eyes*

Did you read her full account on Twitter?  God definitely broke the mold when He made Luke Perry. Rest in peace, Luke, and know that you were loved by everyone far more than you could ever realize., simply because you made everyone's world a little brighter just by being in it!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I thought about checking the local news last night. 😞 I didn't know he grew up two hours from here, until I read about it yesterday. I must have read it in a magazine as a teenager, but that was when I was in California. 

• Love 4

I love that we never knew until now.  He was just a regular nice guy that happened to be good looking enough and talented enough to make it in Hollywood. It is a punch in the gut that he was taken so soon. Wishing his kids, fiance,family and friends peace while the media vultures do their thing. 

• Love 22
39 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

And what a beautiful cover it'll be:

Luke Perry.jpg

Not gonna lie. I've had NO USE for People for YEARS. But I'm TOTALLY getting this edition. And once POP TV gets through the last two seasons and starts up with Season One, it's going on my dvr schedule.

• Love 5

For once, People leaves the cover exclusively to the departed....you don't know how annoying it has been for previous ones to have the celebrity's picture only to have other articles on the side corners of the magazine.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not gonna lie. I've had NO USE for People for YEARS. But I'm TOTALLY getting this edition. And once POP TV gets through the last two seasons and starts up with Season One, it's going on my dvr schedule.

Poptv is doing some sort of Best of Dylan/Luke marathon on Friday.

• Love 5
(edited)

There are plenty of decent people in the entertainment industry.  In all businesses.  The nasty ones make news and the decent ones overlooked. People are inclined to ascribe all the horrible behavior of the few to the many.  Sadly it takes the death of a good one to remind us of this.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 24

The Los Angeles Kings did not do a memorial for Luke before their game with Montreal last night (they instead honored the passing of NHL legend Ted Lindsay, who was much deserving of it), but organist Dieter Ruehle did play the BH90210 theme song during the first stoppage of play, about three minutes in. 

Hockey may have been been Jason's thing rather than Luke's (Jason being Canadian, of course), but it was still cool of the Kings to give that little tribute, I thought.  And now I know what the song sounds like on the organ, so there's that.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

The Los Angeles Kings did not do a memorial for Luke before their game with Montreal last night (they instead honored the passing of NHL legend Ted Lindsay, who was much deserving of it), 

Ted Lindsay died?! How did I not hear about this?

(edited)
10 minutes ago, UYI said:

I wondered when he was going to say something publicly, I figured he was simply too devastated.  I recall an interview with Jason Priestley where he spoke of his near fatal auto racing accident.  He said the first person he saw when he awoke in the hospital was Luke Perry, because he was just that kind of friend.  I imagine he's feeling very sad he couldn't have done the same for Luke.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 21
8 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I heard he was such a generous man. I never heard one bad word said about him. Did you know his son is a underground wrestler? What is funny is that Luke Perry is a wrestling fan as well. 

Martin Cummins(Sheriff Keller on Riverdale) posted on Instagram:

• Love 17
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I recall an interview with Jason Priestley where he spoke of his near fatal auto racing accident. 

I'd forgotten about that.  The 90210 cast has sure had mortality shoved in their faces a lot for a relatively young group -- Jason's accident, Shannen's cancer, and then Luke dying of a stroke.

This was included in the People article linked upthread, but here's the Instagram post of Perry's 18-year-old daughter, Sophie.  I find the balance of sentiments she expresses quite touching -- it's incredible to see this international outpouring of love from people she doesn't even know, and she's grateful, but she's just a young woman trying to come to grips with losing her dad and isn't going to say anything more right now.

• Love 18

Poor thing. I didn't even post about my Dad's death on Facebook because I just couldn't handle it. Or answer any condolences on there. I'm sure that was really hard for her to post.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The 90210 cast has sure had mortality shoved in their faces a lot for a relatively young group -- Jason's accident, Shannen's cancer, and then Luke dying of a stroke.

Luke himself had survived a colorectal cancer scare in 2015.  Not quite up there with Shannen having to go through extensive chemotherapy and losing her hair (for a while), but not exactly a walk in the park, either.

Even though Luke's Riverdale commitments were keeping him from taking part in the reunion, I'm sure he would have dropped by the set a time or three, and Shannen was probably looking forward to sharing stories about their surviving cancer (if they hadn't already).  And then…this.  To steal a line from Avril Lavigne, "so much for my happy ending." 

Sigh…

• Love 9