Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Blergh said:

nor if she has any grandchildren.

Two by the son who just died, according to a quick internet search.

He (the son) used to be a mess, and she cut him off at one point, but that was a long time ago.  Hopefully they had long since worked all that out.  According to the article I read, she posted a photo on Instagram of herself with eyes closed, and captioned it: “Ronnie, you left the world far too early. In sorrow I close my eyes and think of you, my beloved son.”

Edited by Bastet
  • Sad 8
3 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Poor Cher, Georgeanne, Chas and Elijah! Cher in particular hadn't always had the smoothest bond with Miss Holt (born Jackie Jean Crouch in Arkansas) but the last few decades these two loved each other for who they were!  Cher has said that she based her Mermaids (1990)character of Mrs. Flax on Miss Holt (minus the more colorful lingo) and Miss Holt had raised her two daughters  on her own from the virtual start in trying circumstances long before it was conventional! Of course, Cher favored her late Armenian-American father John Sarkisian while Miss Holt and her younger daughter were blonde haired and blue-eyed. One story has it that  the three took a shopping trip to Tijuana, Mexico when Cher was a teen- only to have US Customs accuse Miss Holt and her younger daughter of trying to smuggle a 'Mexican' over the border! Regardless, Cher took care of Miss Holt in her later decades and was very protective of her and, even though Cher herself is now 76(!), it has to be a devastating blow for her (and the rest of the family)  to have lost her mother! RIP, Miss Holt!

Edited by Blergh
  • Sad 4
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Poor Cher, Georgeanne, Chas and Elijah! Cher in particular hadn't always had the smoothest bond with Miss Holt (born Jackie Jean Crouch in Arkansas) but the last few decades these two loved each other for who they were!  Cher has said that she based her Mermaids (1990)character of Mrs. Flax on Miss Holt (minus the more colorful lingo) and Miss Holt had raised her two daughters  on her own from the virtual start in trying circumstances long before it was conventional! Of course, Cher favored her late Armenian-American father John Sarkisian while Miss Holt and her younger daughter were blonde haired and blue-eyed. One story has it that  the three took a shopping trip to Tijuana, Mexico when Cher was a teen- only to have US Customs accuse Miss Holt and her younger daughter of trying to smuggle a 'Mexican' over the border! Regardless, Cher took care of Miss Holt in her later decades and was very protective of her and, even though Cher herself is now 76(!), it has to be a devastating blow for her (and the rest of the family)  to have lost her mother! RIP, Miss Holt!

Well she was 96. It had to be hard for the family to lose her after being here on earth for so long, depending on their relationships with her. But I wouldn’t say devastating. People die . She had a long & for many years, comfortable life. Devastating is dying tragically or too young. Leaving behind those who will never recover. 
Condolences to Cher as she is certainly grieving. ❤️

Edited by chediavolo
Spell
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 5

Ninety six is a very long life, so I'm happy for the deceased, but it's still hard on the family, especially when it happens this time of year, with forced holiday cheer buzzing all around.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9
Just now, Elizabeth Anne said:

My mom was 87 when we lost her and  I got awfully tired of people acting like her dying was really not a big deal because hey, she was old.  She didn't want to die - fought it right to the end - and we weren't ready to say good-bye.

Yes, when death of an elderly parent comes after a debilitating progressive illness, there is the added grief over the loss of the loved one as experienced over those years of deterioration, during which all interactions were efforts to be supportive--sometimes unsuccessful efforts. 
When I read Cher's simple tweet "Mom is gone," my heart broke again with empathy.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

My mom was 87 when we lost her and  I got awfully tired of people acting like her dying was really not a big deal because hey, she was old.  She didn't want to die - fought it right to the end - and we weren't ready to say good-bye.

Yeah, that's the thing.  I get that dying at 90 and dying at 9 aren't the same, nor perceived in the same way, but my mom was the same number of years older than me when she died this year, as she was when I was 5 or 10 or 50. Numbers.

Please don't minimize the impact of her death or anyone elses, by reducing it to numbers. 

So sorry about your mom.

Edit - sorry for the thread hijack.  If anyone wants to take the convo further, you can do so in the Chit Chat thread.

I suck at sharing links here, but if you click on ^Chit-Chat, it will take you to that forum topic.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

My family had the same thing when my great-grandfather died. Yeah, he was 94 but he was such a huge presence in our lives. For my brother and I he was the only grandparent, my parents' leaned hard on him after they lost their parents. He was the one we all went to for advice in life, relationships, and religion. He was so smart but also so very opened and accepting. We used to have long conversations about history and Bible stories. He was so important in our family. I know he was ready to go his wife, children and one great-grandchild had passed and he really wanted to be with them but we still weren't ready for him to go. We still needed him. But many people around us act liked it wasn't a big deal, he was old and he lead a good life. Yeah, well, we still needed him and weren't ready for him to go.

• Hugs 10
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, giovannif7 said:

Oh no not Angel! My family was actually watching something with him in it the other day and as soon as he opened his mouth and spoke a word, we all immediately shouted "It's Angel!" 

On a side note, the Rockford episode where Angel attends his own funeral is, for my money, one of the funniest episodes of TV I've ever seen. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

Aw, man. Angel Martin is/was probably the most annoying character in all of television, as Jim Rockford would certainly attest on any number of occasions, but there was something weirdly endearing about him too. Angel was the loser who would drag anyone into his schemes if it meant he could make a faster buck, grandiose in his plans but often pathetic in bringing them to fruition, and how fortunate younger me is to have witnessed Mr. Margolin bringing him to life. God's speed, sir, and rest well.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Aw, man. Angel Martin is/was probably the most annoying character in all of television, as Jim Rockford would certainly attest on any number of occasions, but there was something weirdly endearing about him too.

Yeah off the top of my head, I can't think of another character that managed to be that annoying, entertaining, endearing, and pathetic all at once. I think it helped that the show was well aware of how awful Angel was and never tried to diminish that. On a lot of shows, the quirky asshole friend gets Flanderized fast and the writing often tends to ignore what a complete shithead they were. I actually watched the show for the first time a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised by how good the writing was for most of the run. The sixth season is a little creaky, but it's consistently entertaining and interesting throughout its run. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

tWitch was so much more than Ellen's sidekick DJ. Shame on TMZ and People for those headlines identifying him that way.

"Outta Your Mind" is and always will be the best part of tWitch's legacy (pure dance-related; of course Allison and their children are number one) and the single greatest routine to come from "So You Think You Can Dance," from tWitch and ballet dancer Alex Freaking Wong.

Outta Your Mind

Edited by LexieLily
  • Sad 8
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I’m in shock. There was always so much joy whenever I saw him in anything. You really can never know what people are struggling with behind the camera. His poor kids. His two youngest are still so young. 

Yeah, that is why this is so shocking to me.  He always seemed to just exude positivity. 

I loved him through his SYTYCD run and was tickled by how he made such a successful transition after the show and when he an Allison got married... just so cool.  And, man, I just saw a tik tok of him, Allison and his mom doing the Beyonce Cuff It Challenge.  

So very sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m in shock. There was always so much joy whenever I saw him in anything. You really can never know what people are struggling with behind the camera. His poor kids. His two youngest are still so young. 

I am in shock as well.  I loved watching Twitch dance.  This is so devastating for his family.  My heart goes out to them.

• Sad 10

Grant Wahl's wife talking about her late husband on some morning chat show in her sexy little black top makes me ill.  I've no idea if she's someone famous, but her grief belongs at home, with her loved ones, not on network TV just a few days after his death.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

Grant Wahl's wife talking about her late husband on some morning chat show in her sexy little black top makes me ill.  I've no idea if she's someone famous, but her grief belongs at home, with her loved ones, not on network TV just a few days after his death.

As per Google, Celine Gounder is a medical doctor and journalist at New York University. She specializes in infectious diseases and global health. I didn't watch the show, but Wahl died of a previously undetected aortic aneurysm. Hard to judge her being on TV without context if she was talking about both her husband and his sudden death.

• Useful 9
  • Love 2

I can't do choreography for shit but I can recognize talent when I see it. Twitch was an amazing dancer I enjoyed watching perform. TMZ has new and sad details of his last day.

Sources with direct knowledge tell us Stephen checked into a motel less than one mile from his L.A. home Monday morning. We spoke with motel staffers who say he didn't appear to be in any sort of distress and wasn't visibly upset about anything. We're told the 40-year-old only had a small bag with him and had booked the room for only one night.

It was on Tuesday when tWitch missed his checkout and employees went to his room, where they found him deceased in the bathroom from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Carefully planned and not an impulse.

• Sad 24
12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

If this is the interview in question, I am a bit incredulous at calling this a 'sexy little black top'

Agree. She's also trying to combat misinformation because the conspiracy theorists have been lying about his cause of death and the vitriol toward her has been disgusting. I don't blame her for wanting to get the real cause of death out there.

• Like 3
  • Applause 7
  • Love 13
18 hours ago, Leeds said:

It's not as though she was  on there trying to  be a merry widow seeking others to help her mourn as one could be comforted but she was trying to set the record straight about her husband's sudden, unexpected death.

• Like 4
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

It was on Tuesday when tWitch missed his checkout and employees went to his room, where they found him deceased in the bathroom from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

So was it an aortic aneurism or a gunshot that killed him?  Strange.

1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

TCM Remembers 2022:

I almost didn't know whether to give this is a 'love' or a 'sad'.  I'd forgotten we'd lost some of the faces in there.  But this is a really nicely done retrospective.  TCM does them better than anyone else.  Thanks for posting it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

I almost didn't know whether to give this is a 'love' or a 'sad'.  I'd forgotten we'd lost some of the faces in there.  But this is a really nicely done retrospective.  TCM does them better than anyone else.  Thanks for posting it.

I gave it a 'sad' because it made me cry.  I don't know if the montage had to go by so quickly because we lost so many this year, but blink and you'd miss half of them.  TCM always does a beautiful job, though, and nice to have a glimpse of the beloved Robert Osborne.

• Like 7
On 12/18/2022 at 5:22 PM, ElleryAnne said:

But this is a really nicely done retrospective.  TCM does them better than anyone else.

Indeed. The Oscars would have had the singer in the forefront while those they were supposedly "remembering" barely seen in the background. 

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I read that he had cancer for many years. Does anyone know what type it was?  

According to the news stories, he was very private and most of his colleagues didn't even know he was sick, let alone had cancer.  He worked until the day he died.  I presume that the family has decided to maintain his privacy.

• Like 5