Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I had never heard of Nipsey Hussle until the first season on Crazy Ex Girlfriend.   He is on the 'Sexy Getting Ready' song. And then there is an after credits clip of him apologizing to a lot of women for the patriarchy because (as we see during the song interlude) he is amazed by how much trouble women have to go through to get ready for a date.  I actually thought the name 'Nipsey Hussle' was a fake name for the show!  I mean, that would have fit.  Imagine my surprise much later when I learned that he was an actual rapper and that was his actual rap name.

Reminds me of when  Kim Porter died, twitter is full of condolences by some really big names in black entertainment.  He was apparently well known, well liked, and well connected behind the scenes and was committed to putting money back into his neighborhood and black owned businesses.

Rest in Power, man.

• Love 8

33 is just way too young, damn. I only know of him through the IG gossip page The Shaderoom, who followed his relationship with Lauren London. Reading about all he did for his community tonight is heartbreaking. Another positive, intelligent, talented young man whose life was cut way too short due to gun violence. So sad and frustrating. RIP.

• Love 12

Before yesterday, I had never heard of Nipsey Hussle. I have been reading articles about the great things he was doing for his community and the many people beyond his community whom he inspired to do great things or just be better human beings. So sad his life was cut short so young. 

• Love 10
13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I had never heard of Nipsey Hussle until the first season on Crazy Ex Girlfriend.   He is on the 'Sexy Getting Ready' song. And then there is an after credits clip of him apologizing to a lot of women for the patriarchy because (as we see during the song interlude) he is amazed by how much trouble women have to go through to get ready for a date.  I actually thought the name 'Nipsey Hussle' was a fake name for the show!  I mean, that would have fit.  Imagine my surprise much later when I learned that he was an actual rapper and that was his actual rap name.

I did not know that was him! That song, and his after credits clip, are really funny.  

• Love 3
(edited)

How the hell did I miss this?  June Harding, who played Rachel in The Trouble With Angels, died.  I absolutely, friggin' love this movie and watch it at least once a year.  I will watch it again this weekend as tribute.  R.I.P. Ms. Harding and thank you more than you'll know.  

https://deadline.com/2019/03/june-harding-dies-the-trouble-with-angels-actress-was-81-1202585366/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/june-harding-dead-trouble-with-angels-actress-was-81-1198182

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

How did hell did I miss this?  June Harding, who played Rachel in The Trouble With Angels, died.  I absolutely, friggin' love this movie and watch it at least once a year.  I will watch it again this weekend as tribute.  R.I.P. Ms. Harding and thank you more than you'll know.

I love that movie (I'll draw a veil over what I thought of the sequel!!) and I always wondered what ever happened to "Rachel".  I thought she more than held her own with Hayley Mills and Rosalind Russell but it seemed like she didn't do much after that movie.  Or certainly nothing I remember seeing anyway,  Like you I watch this movie regularly.  I'll have to get my DVD out and watch it again in tribute.

Just a sidenote for any other fans - the movie was somewhat loosely based on the biography of the woman who was Rachel in the film .  My Life With Mother Superior by Jane Trahey, it's a cute book but I have to say the movie is better 🙂.

• Love 3
On 3/15/2019 at 4:54 AM, BW Manilowe said:

That's what I get for not keeping up with the local news!  I mean, I'll pop on the TV and catch the latest on the Samantha Josephson case every now and then, but I completely missed hearing about Dr. Jim.  

Heck, I didn't even know he had a practice over in Irmo.  I'll be needing some dental work in the future…I don't know if I would have chosen him (I was rooting against him and Misti during their time on TAR), but it would have been wild to think about it.  

One source says that Jim shot himself in his garage, but no official cause of death has been released as yet.  My condolences to Misti and their kids.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:08 AM, dalek said:

Science Fiction author Vonda N. McIntyre has died (cancer).

http://file770.com/vonda-n-mcintyre-1948-2019/

McIntyre was best known to many (including me) for her novelizations of several Star Trek films, but she was a successful author in her own right, winning three Nebula awards and a Hugo, science fiction's highest honors.

She also gave Sulu (George Takei) his first name (like Nichelle Nichols's Uhura, Sulu was only ever called by his rank and surname during the original 79 episodes), "Hikaru".  (It means "shine" in Japanese.) According to Wikipedia, the name made canon when Peter David, who was doing the comic-book adaption, visited the set of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and convinced director Nicholas Meyer to work it into the script.

RIP, Vonda.  May your memory "shine" on.

• Love 5
(edited)
18 hours ago, Homily said:

I love that movie (I'll draw a veil over what I thought of the sequel!!) and I always wondered what ever happened to "Rachel".  I thought she more than held her own with Hayley Mills and Rosalind Russell but it seemed like she didn't do much after that movie.  Or certainly nothing I remember seeing anyway,  Like you I watch this movie regularly.  I'll have to get my DVD out and watch it again in tribute.

Just a sidenote for any other fans - the movie was somewhat loosely based on the biography of the woman who was Rachel in the film .  My Life With Mother Superior by Jane Trahey, it's a cute book but I have to say the movie is better 🙂.

I read Life with Mother Superior and the movie is indeed better.  Thank goodness screenwriter, Blanche Hanalis, omitted that awful chapter about the school play! 

June Harding went on to paint pictures, mainly of cats, in Maine.  How about that?

Jane Trahey, whom the Rachel character was based on, became a huge figure in advertising, establishing her own agency.  It was Trahey who persuaded celebrities to participate in Blackglama's famous "What Becomes a Legend Most" campaign.  Trahey died in April 2000 at age 76.  

Mary, the character played by Hayley Mills, did indeed become a nun.  Sister John Eudes Courtney died at age 98 in December 2017.

There was no sequel To The Trouble with Angels, no matter what it says on IMDB.  😉

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8

Scott Ballew drummer of The Shazam died last Tuesday. My husband told me last night. He got to see a show once but I never got to see them. Sad about that now. Hubby also owns an original concert poster which we have hanging in his room.

Great drummer.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Former original Mousketeer Dennis Day was reported missing back last July by his husband, who has memory loss, but apparently nobody bothered to investigate until his body was found in his home just this week.

https://www.greensboro.com/news/national/body-found-at-oregon-home-of-original-mouseketeer-dennis-day/article_537b19a8-22d5-5392-a24c-c48b1e5768bf.html

They did investigate including searching his home and property they just didn’t find anything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Former original Mousketeer Dennis Day was reported missing back last July by his husband, who has memory loss, but apparently nobody bothered to investigate until his body was found in his home just this week.

No, they've been investigating, and had searched the house previously.  And the body has not yet been identified.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Did the body just appear, or did they just miss it?

That hasn’t been commented on yet. But so far, officially, the body hasn’t yet been identified as Mr. Day’s even though it was found on his property.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Did the body just appear, or did they just miss it?

Also, according to other sources, Mr. Day’s husband doesn’t just suffer from memory loss; he suffers from dementia & has been in an assisted living center since shortly after Mr. Day’s disappearance.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a link.
Just now, BW Manilowe said:

has been in an assisted living center since shortly after Mr. Day’s disappearance.

He was in the hospital at the time of his disappearance and had been there for awhile. The reason he was reported missing was that he hadn’t come to visit him for awhile. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Aw, I loved him in Indecent Proposal. RIP.

Ah, yes! That one brings back memories. I have seen him in so many different roles over the years. He was a talented character actor who always brought something entertaining to the screen. Rest in peace, Seymour.

• Love 7

I'm still looking for confirmation past a Tweet from Blake Shelton, but he posted about a half hour ago that 80's country star Earl Thomas Conley had died (ETC is his all time favorite country star).

If this is true...what a loss. What a TALENT. "Holding Her and Loving You" is one of my all time favorite country songs. RIP, ETC! 😢

• Love 1

It's worth noting that ETC's greatest success in country came in the 1980's, perhaps the most criminally underrated decade in country music history, due in no small part to both the infamous Urban Cowboy era during the early years of that decade, and the unprecedented commercial boom that the country music of the 1990's would see (brought on largely by the so-called Class of 1989, in which the debut albums of Clint Black, Garth Brooks, and Alan Jackson were all released). But make no mistake, he made his mark.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 8
On 4/10/2019 at 7:24 PM, GreekGeek said:

I posted about this in the Jeopardy! Small Talk thread, but Charles Van Doren has died. He was the college instructor who was at the center of the rigged quiz show scandals of the 1950's. Ralph Fiennes played him in the movie Quiz Show.

R.I.P. Charles Van Doren. 

Herb Stempel is still alive and probably gloating he outlived Charles Van Doren. The last interview I saw, he was still bitter.  I believe Herb has outlived all those he felt had done him wrong.  Now that's a dish eaten cold.  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

R.I.P. Charles Van Doren. 

Herb Stempel is still alive and probably gloating he outlived Charles Van Doren. The last interview I saw, he was still bitter.  I believe Herb has outlived all those he felt had done him wrong.  Now that's a dish eaten cold.  

Yeah, but since few folks remember the scandal, he'd almost certainly be eating the dish solo and getting a bunch of 'what happened?' and 'who cares?'reactions if he tried to recount the events! Well, RIP Mr. Van Doren and I DO hope Mr. Stempel truly DOES make his peace with what happened and not let it sour his twilight years. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I DO hope Mr. Stempel truly DOES make his peace with what happened and not let it sour his twilight years. 

Let's hope so.  I don't think the incident has soured Mr. Stempel's twilight years.  But (IMO), I don't believe the bitterness has ever left part of his spirit.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

few folks remember the scandal

Anybody who saw 1994's Quiz Show (John Turturro as Stempel, Ralph Fiennes as Van Doren; Robert Redford directed) does, though.  The actual scandal may have been before my time (literally), but it lives in infamy.

And on YouTube: Herb takes the dive (December 5, 1956)

The $69,500 that Herb had attained would be worth $649,523.49 today.

The $111,500 that he would have won, barring the fix, would be worth $1,042,041.29 today.  

Yoicks.

• Love 5

Scott Sanderson, who won 163 MLB games in a 19-season (1978-1996) career, died on Thursday.  Apparently you can't strike out throat cancer.  

(And chewing tobacco claims another victim, I presume.  Between Sanderson, Tony Gwynn, and whomever else, cancer's building a pretty nice team.)

A Chicago native (Glenbrook North H.S.), Sanderson pitched for both the Cubs and White Sox among his seven teams.  In 1984, he was a regular member of the rotation that took the Cubs to their first post-season since 1945, and he was still around for the 1989 division title, as well.

Moving to the American League, he was an All-Star in 1991 for the Yankees, and thus New York's opening day starter in 1992.  (I recently acquired that game; not being a Yankees fan, you could have given me ten guesses and I never would have pegged Sanderson as the ace of that staff.  But he was, however briefly.)

Sanderson, who later worked in broadcasting (irony?), was 62.  😞

On 4/13/2019 at 6:19 AM, MissAlmond said:

Herb Stempel is still alive and probably gloating he outlived Charles Van Doren. The last interview I saw, he was still bitter. 

Even though the scandal happened long before I was born, it was still something everyone seemed to know about even into the 80s and early 90s (leading to the film version of events).  I think it was because so much came from it;  careers were ruined (producers and hosts) and game shows had to be reworked so behind the scenes shenanigans wouldn't happen again.  Plus, it seemed to be a forerunner of "reality TV" in a way -  since a drama was being introduced and playing off the story of the little guy who did good (Stempel) vs everyone until he was pitted against Van Doren who was anointed the "Golden Boy" by the show's PTB who now had to beat him and become America's new champion.  Stemple didn't like being played like that or having a legit chance to win ripped out of his hands.  Plus, Van Doren, for all his accomplishments apart from the show did come from an equally accomplished family, so I guess TPTB didn't think he should lose to a working class guy like Stemple.

Just the same, RIP Mr. Van Doren.

• Love 4