Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, UYI said:

Former One Direction band member Louis Tomlinson's younger sister Felicite has died of a suspected heart attack at only 18 years old.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1023767/louis-tomlinson-s-sister-felicite-tomlinson-dead-at-18

Fizzy?! No, that poor family! Louis just released a song about his mother's death (she died of cancer in December 2016, at 43 years old), with a line about wishing it had been him instead, now this! I hope he's surrounded by love and support right now.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Whoa, 18?! 

Dang. That's tragic. Condolences to him and his family. 

That's quite shocking! I wonder if Miss Tomlinson may have had a  pre-existing heart condition because it's VERY rare for someone that young to die from a heart attack unless they somehow have a frightening amount of stress that would overwhelm anyone. 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, Blergh said:

That's quite shocking! I wonder if Miss Tomlinson may have had a  pre-existing heart condition because it's VERY rare for someone that young to die from a heart attack unless they somehow have a frightening amount of stress that would overwhelm anyone. 

Could be due to an eating disorder.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Misirlou is a classic:

14 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Stalag 17 is one of my favorite movies and he did a great commentary along with another cast member on the DVD. His character "Hoffy" was a serious but sounded like a delight IRL:

5347-18114.jpg

He was in the Twilight Zone episode "A Kind of Stopwatch"
a_kind_of_a_stopwatch.jpg

And of course he was Leonard on Community, one of my favorite regular students of Greendale Community College!

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Could be due to an eating disorder.

I was doing a little research after I read this and was surprised to see the findings of Karen Carpenter's death.  Her blood sugar was over 1000!  I had never heard that before.  So strange, since, I never heard that she had diabetes.  Here's a link about it.

http://danieljselby.com/Carpenters/autopsy.htm

Of course, the death of Miss Tomlinson could be anything really.  Apparently, she was thought to be in good health. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So strange, since, I never heard that she had diabetes. 

I don't think necessarily did. The autopsy said that the high blood sugar was part of hyperosmolarity, a risk factor for which is extreme dieting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, rainsmom said:

I don't think necessarily did. The autopsy said that the high blood sugar was part of hyperosmolarity, a risk factor for which is extreme dieting.

It could also be from EMT's trying to resuscitate her using dextrose, pure sugar. Once she got to the hospital, the blood that was used to test her blood sugar might've been drawn out of the vein where they'd injected the D50 which is why it was so elevated. Giving concentrated sugar injections was done pretty routinely by paramedics at cardiac arrests in that era, and still happens in some cases today.  I don't think Karen Carpenter was a diabetic, the elevated blood sugar was due to her overall medical condition (anorexia) and perhaps due to the use of glucose in trying to resuscitate her.  As I recall, the final cause of death at autopsy was determined to be heart failure caused by toxicity from years of taking syrup of ipecac to induce vomiting as part of her anorexia.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It could also be from EMT's trying to resuscitate her using dextrose, pure sugar. Once she got to the hospital, the blood that was used to test her blood sugar might've been drawn out of the vein where they'd injected the D50 which is why it was so elevated. Giving concentrated sugar injections was done pretty routinely by paramedics at cardiac arrests in that era, and still happens in some cases today.  I don't think Karen Carpenter was a diabetic, the elevated blood sugar was due to her overall medical condition (anorexia) and perhaps due to the use of glucose in trying to resuscitate her.  As I recall, the final cause of death at autopsy was determined to be heart failure caused by toxicity from years of taking syrup of ipecac to induce vomiting as part of her anorexia.

She abused laxatives too, not sure what if any effect that made have had.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

And of course he was Leonard on Community, one of my favorite regular students of Greendale Community College!

Leonard likes this!  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

This great tune started off one of the best movies, Pulp Fiction....everytime I hear it I have to twist like Uma Thurman did.

Rest well, sir.

Informative thread on how Dale created his version of Misirlou:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8

Larry Ditillio, co-creator of the original She-Ra, for Filmation has died .  

He went on to do plenty of other work in both live action and animated work including He Man, Centurians, Galaxy High School, Bionic Six, Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, The Real Ghostbusters, Swamp Thing, and Babylon 5 (which was created by  J Michael Straczynski)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I didn't know him from Adam and have no dog in this race besides being sorry that this tragedy happened and I mean no disrespect for the dead or his survivors but. ..

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING having a live gun around during a video shoot? If they HAD to use a gun during the videoing, they could have either gotten a prop gun or at the very least inspected the REAL one before it got anywhere near that set and made sure that it had nothing but blanks inside the barrel! What a terrible waste over a rather thoughtless course of action! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I didn't know him from Adam and have no dog in this race besides being sorry that this tragedy happened and I mean no disrespect for the dead or his survivors but. ..

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING having a live gun around during a video shoot? If they HAD to use a gun during the videoing, they could have either gotten a prop gun or at the very least inspected the REAL one before it got anywhere near that set and made sure that it had nothing but blanks inside the barrel! What a terrible waste over a rather thoughtless course of action! 

Regarding the bolded & italicized comment. The thing of it is, even if they’d had a gun with blanks there was really no guarantee he couldn’t have been injured if he’d been shot by a blank, as they can do as much damage as a real round can. Something similar to Justin Carter’s accident happened in 1984, only the gun involved was loaded with blanks.

Back in that year, CBS aired a show called Cover Up. It was 1 of those action-adventure series involving a pair of secret/undercover agents whose cover on their assignments is a photographer & her model.

It originally starred actress & former model Jennifer O’Neill & an actor & former model named Jon-Erik Hexum. During a delay in shooting a scene where Hexum’s character was supposed to be loading a gun (he had been given a real gun & blanks to load it with), he became restless & impatient & began (sadly) goofing around with the gun, which was loaded, waiting to get the action of loading it from a different camera angle. Hexum unloaded all but 1 blank round, spun the chamber & simulated what he thought was a harmless game of Russian Roulette with a harmless weapon, putting the gun up to his temple & pulling the trigger.

The paper wadding in the round (which is what prevents the gunpowder that’s still in the round though it’s a blank, & can cause as much trauma or even death as a real bullet) didn’t penetrate Hexum’s skull, but it caused enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull, sending the pieces into his brain & causing massive hemorrhaging. He was rushed to a hospital, where he underwent 5 hours of surgery to repair his wounds. He was subsequently declared brain dead 6 days later, & was a posthumous organ & skin donor.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded & italicized comment. The thing of it is, even if they’d had a gun with blanks there was really no guarantee he couldn’t have been injured if he’d been shot by a blank, as they can do as much damage as a real round can. Something similar to Justin Carter’s accident happened in 1984, only the gun involved was loaded with blanks.

Back in that year, CBS aired a show called Cover Up. It was 1 of those action-adventure series involving a pair of secret/undercover agents whose cover on their assignments is a photographer & her model.

It originally starred actress & former model Jennifer O’Neill & an actor & former model named Jon-Erik Hexum. During a delay in shooting a scene where Hexum’s character was supposed to be loading a gun (he had been given a real gun & blanks to load it with), he became restless & impatient & began (sadly) goofing around with the gun, which was loaded, waiting to get the action of loading it from a different camera angle. Hexum unloaded all but 1 blank round, spun the chamber & simulated what he thought was a harmless game of Russian Roulette with a harmless weapon, putting the gun up to his temple & pulling the trigger.

The paper wadding in the round (which is what prevents the gunpowder that’s still in the round though it’s a blank, & can cause as much trauma or even death as a real bullet) didn’t penetrate Hexum’s skull, but it caused enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull, sending the pieces into his brain & causing massive hemorrhaging. He was rushed to a hospital, where he underwent 5 hours of surgery to repair his wounds. He was subsequently declared brain dead 6 days later, & was a posthumous organ & skin donor.

You're right- and I'm ashamed that I'd forgotten that when I first posted what I said. Let's just say, if one HAS to have a gun on a film, TV, video, Net shoot, let it be a TOY prop gun and nothing else! Regardless, it's these are tragedies that could have been prevented   and I feel very bad for the families of both recently deceased  Mr. Carter  and the long deceased Mr. Hexum. 

• Love 7

Brandon Lee died while filming The Crow from a gun with blanks as well. People never seem to understand that a real gun with blanks is not like a cap gun.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

You're right- and I'm ashamed that I'd forgotten that when I first posted what I said. Let's just say, if one HAS to have a gun on a film, TV, video, Net shoot, let it be a TOY prop gun and nothing else! Regardless, it's these are tragedies that could have been prevented   and I feel very bad for the families of both recently deceased  Mr. Carter  and the long deceased Mr. Hexum. 

Brandon Lee, son of Bruce, also died when a prop gun had the tip of a dummy round in it accidentally.  He was filming 'The Crow' which was ultimately finished using doubles and was a big hit.

From what his mother said,  Justin Carter had the loaded gun in his pants pocket when it accidentally fired.  There are so many things wrong with that sentence that I don't even know where to start.  Apparently no one on the set had ever heard of gun safety.  No one has said that it wasn't a real gun, that he didn't know it was loaded or that the safety was on.  Ignorance can be fatal.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Apparently no one on the set had ever heard of gun safety.

According to some articles, the police report lists the location of the incident as his apartment.  It's not clear to me if he was filming a video at the time, like his mom said, because there was also a comment from his management team that the gun was going to be used in an "upcoming" music video.  If he was filming in his apartment, add that to the fact he had only recently been signed by a management company and had not been signed by a record label, it would seem to be a very low-budget thing, and those on "set" would be his friends, not anyone whose job it was to know props and procedures.  (Now, how a group of functioning adults, whatever their profession, can think it's hunky dory to have a loaded gun around, I don't know, but this did happen in Texas, so ...)  Or he may have been puttering around his apartment with a loaded gun in his pants as a part of his daily life.  Again, Texas.

Either way, it's an accident that never should have happened, and it's sad for a young life to end in such a senseless way.

• Love 8

That tragic death reminded me of what happened to Brandon Lee back in ‘94.  How can such tragedies continue to occur on set ??

I’m old enough to remember what happened to Jon Erik Hexum (I loved watching his previous TV series, Voyagers) and IIRC, his star was about to rise beyond the roof as he was getting movie roles lined up.  At the time people didn’t know blanks could potentially harm people.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

That tragic death reminded me of what happened to Brandon Lee back in ‘94.  How can such tragedies continue to occur on set ??

I’m old enough to remember what happened to Jon Erik Hexum (I loved watching his previous TV series, Voyagers) and IIRC, his star was about to rise beyond the roof as he was getting movie roles lined up.  At the time people didn’t know blanks could potentially harm people.

I also loved Voyagers and I remember when Jon Erik Hexum died.

I remember reading how the writer of The Crow disavowed it, he wrote it after his wife was killed by a drunk driver and then Brandon Lee killed on the movie.  Brandon Lee's death was tragic, but also so bizarre.  They needed fakes, because I think the gun was a revolver and you could see the bullets.  Rather than waiting for fake bullets to arrive, the prop crew made their own with real bullets which they pulled out and dumped the gunpowder before sticking the bullet back in the shell.  But they missed the primer and at some point the trigger was pulled, it was enough to push the bullet into the barrel and no one checked after the fakes were removed and blanks were loaded for the scene when Brandon Lee's character was shot.  But because the bullet was still in the barrel it was basically a live round.  It's unbelievable that so many things that had to go wrong for it to happen did go wrong.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 3/22/2019 at 9:26 PM, Bastet said:

Either way, it's an accident that never should have happened, and it's sad for a young life to end in such a senseless way.

A wise man I know says there are no accidents with guns.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Larry Cohen, Writer-Director of 'It's Alive' and 'Hell Up in Harlem,' Dies at 77

The be-all and end-all of Larry Cohen movies for me will always be God Told Me To.  Yes, there are so many other great ones  but the whole premise of that one got to me so much. And not just because I'm a New Yorker.  I

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1