Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I wonder that she will have a traditional Funeral Procession with all the musicians paying homage. It would be great to see and hear if it wasn't so sad that she passed. What a legacy of talent those parents left us. A gift. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

June Foray, Voice of ‘Bullwinkle Show’s’ Natasha and Rocky, Dies at 99

June Foray was great!  R.I.P. and thanks for the voices.  I hope when you meet up again with Telly, he will remember to be nice to you. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Dammit, she almost made it to 100!

She had a long career of famous voices that made up half my childhood. Goodbye Rocky, Natasha, Nell Fenwick, Ursula, Cindy Lou Who, Grandma Fa (from Mulan), Talky Tina...

She was the female Mel Blanc, and as you said, the characters she voiced made up much of my childhood.  Thank you and rest in peace, Ms. Foray -- Woman of 1,000 Voices.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

She was the female Mel Blanc, and as you said, the characters she voiced made up much of my childhood.  Thank you and rest in peace, Ms. Foray -- Woman of 1,000 Voices.

Yes, and not to mention she was working as recently as 2014 at age 96[!]! In addition to her very impressive talents that also were highlights of my childhood,too, from her interviews she seemed as though she'd have been a fun person to have known had one had the opportunity!

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

She had a long career of famous voices that made up half my childhood. Goodbye Rocky, Natasha, Nell Fenwick, Ursula, Cindy Lou Who, Grandma Fa (from Mulan), Talky Tina...

I'll add Magica De Spell from Ducktales.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

I'll add Magica De Spell from Ducktales.

In 2013, June Foray was awarded the Governor's Award from the Television of Arts and Sciences.  From their website:

During each year, the Board of Governors of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences shall, at the Annual Emmy Awards Presentation, grant one (1) award (the Governors Award) to an individual, company, organization or project for outstanding achievement in the arts and sciences or management of television which is either of a cumulative nature or so extraordinary and universal in nature as to go beyond the scope of the Emmy Awards presented in the categories and areas of the competition.

I don't know if it was televised or not. If it wasn't, it should have been.  R.I.P., June.  You were one of the GOAT. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Yes, she was! I thought she was also the voice of Betty Rubble. No? I know that Mel Blanc provided the voice for Barney Rubble. Another piece of my heart has broken. But good on her for continuing to work until the end! @Spartan Girl, I too was hoping she'd make it to 100. But 99 ain't bad.

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I know. Was cheering for her to make it.

Exactly. RIP June Foray and thanks.

5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Chuck Jones is reported to have said, "June Foray is not the female Mel Blanc, Mel Blanc was the male June Foray.".

Sourcehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Foray

Either way, she kicked butt. And it's cool that he respected her enough to say that.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, she was! I thought she was also the voice of Betty Rubble. No? I know that Mel Blanc provided the voice for Barney Rubble. Another piece of my heart has broken. But good on her for continuing to work until the end! @Spartan Girl, I too was hoping she'd make it to 100. But 99 ain't bad.

Nope. Bea Benaderet was the voice of Betty Rubble.

Patti Deutsch left us two days ago at age 73. She never got to be a major star but she always had me in stitches with her unique delivery. I mean, she could have read a phone book and I'd have lost it! And her "Match Game" answers were so offbeat that it was rather unexpected for any contestant to match her!  Check out her contributions on that site that rhymes with Boo Huub and see if one doesn't agree. RIP, Mrs. Ross.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=186216724

• Love 9

I just read about June Foray now. I grew up with all manner of TV cartoons but I'm sure none of them would hold up today as brilliantly as Rocky and Bullwinkle, to which she contributed so much, along with countless other great performances.  I really hope the show gets revived somewhere on cable or on the retro stations that are popping up all over.

As everyone has said, a brilliant career and happily a long and busy life, though I too wish she had made it to 100.   However it's always great when someone remains active so long even in their 90s. Rest in peace June Foray.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Patti Deutsch left us two days ago at age 73. She never got to be a major star but she always had me in stitches with her unique delivery. I mean, she could have read a phone book and I'd have lost it! And her "Match Game" answers were so offbeat that it was rather unexpected for any contestant to match her!  Check out her contributions on that site that rhymes with Boo Huub and see if one doesn't agree. RIP, Mrs. Ross.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=186216724

Wasn't a big fan of hers on Match Game but enjoyed her on Tattletales with her husband writer Donald Ross. 73 is too young. RIP fellow red.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/patti-deutsch-dead-laugh-match-game-comedienne-was-73-1025096

• Love 1

Another 70s/80s music loss - Michael Johnson, pop/folk/country singer/songwriter/musician, passed away a few days ago. His biggest hit was 1978's Bluer Than Blue, but my favorite of his singles was this take on the Brigadoon tune Almost Like Being In Love, which hit the A/C Top 5. RIP

• Love 4
(edited)

Totally shocked by the news about Sam Shepard.  I hadn't known about his ALS diagnosis.  Had that been disclosed publicly before?  RIP to a brilliant playwright and actor. 

ETA that according to People:

The actor’s battle with ALS was not publicly known.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 5

When I was younger I was taken to see The Right Stuff.  That's when I fell in love with Sam Shephard.

When I was older I became aware of his amazing talent as a writer. 

He may have been my first movie "hero."

Then a bit later when I saw him with Jessica Lange in Crimes of the Heart, he definitely became one of my celebrity crushes.

RIP Mr Shepard. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Sam Shepard - actor and Pulitzer prize winning playwright, dead at 73 from ALS:

I didn't even know he was suffering from ALS.  That's very sad; I adored him as an actor and playwright in pretty much every one of his works that I saw.

• Love 2

While it's probably not one of his more memorable roles, I fell in love with him in Baby Boom with Diane Keaton.   What a sexy, yet kind, veterinarian he was.  I still remember the scene when she was sick and lying on his table and he had to tell her he was a vet. 

RIP, Mr. Shepard.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

While it's probably not one of his more memorable roles, I fell in love with him in Baby Boom with Diane Keaton.   What a sexy, yet kind, veterinarian he was.  I still remember the scene when she was sick and lying on his table and he had to tell her he was a vet. 

RIP, Mr. Shepard.

That's what I remember him for too! Oddly enough that was just on yesterday! RIP.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

RIP, Mr. Shepard.

That's what I remember him for too! Oddly enough that was just on yesterday! RIP.

Suddenly realizing the twin girls who played baby Elizabeth are 30 or 31 now.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
On 7/31/2017 at 8:13 PM, BW Manilowe said:

On 7/31/2017 at 11:35 PM, VCRTracking said:

Jeanne Moreau I first saw in the original La Femme Nikita when I was a teenager than later saw in Francois Truffaut's classic Jules Et Jim:

I mostly remember her from the amazingly tense Lift to the Scaffold (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud), but also for Diary of a Chambermaid (Journal d'une femme de chambre). What an amazing career she had, and what an interesting person she was. Her father was against her acting, so when she was accepted in the most prestigious Comédie-Française, she hid it from him. She became quite successful, in her late teens/early 20s, still living at her parents', and they still had no idea she was an actress. Until she was featured in a magazine... and when her father saw it, he threw her out!   

It amazes me how much change someone born in 1928 must have experienced, and I like that she remained curious and continued until the very end to seek interesting new talents that she wanted to work with. 

The NY Times has posted its full obituary for Sam Shepard.  Re his ALS, it reports:

Mr. Aukin said Mr. Shepard told him of his illness before they began working on the production [of "Fool for Love" on Broadway], as he did with at least one other recent collaborator. But the playwright largely kept his battle private.

• Love 2

Robert Hardy was an expert on medieval warfare, especially on the longbow.  The Mary Rose Trust, which is a museum in Portsmouth, UK where the Tudor era "Mary Rose" ship is, and where there is a trove of medieval weaponry, called him in to help them to understand the use of the weaponry they have.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Robert Hardy was an expert on medieval warfare, especially on the longbow.  The Mary Rose Trust, which is a museum in Portsmouth, UK where the Tudor era "Mary Rose" ship is, and where there is a trove of medieval weaponry, called him in to help them to understand the use of the weaponry they have.

No, not Siegfried! He and Peter Davison (later the Fifth Doctor Who) were  indispensable as the Farnon Brothers who made life an endless adventure for the protagonist James Herriot in "All Creatures Great and Small" one of the best series to celebrate animals and their veterinarians ever made!  He DID make it to 91 and even a few months ago still gave rousing interviews looking decades younger than one would have guessed. He also did an outstanding job playing Winston Churchill in quite a few productions.

Thanks, Silver Raven for also mentioning his contributions to the above effort. The "Mary Rose" was this Tudor warship that was sunk in battle  in 1545 in the Solent Strait that separated the Isle of Wight from England and was actually salvaged and brought to the surface in its own museum in 1982 so it's nice to know that Mr. Hardy was more of a Renaissance man than I'd have imagined. RIP,   Siegfried.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6