Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Now Hag? Fuck. I knew this was imminent -- but it hurts me to the core.

As a child, Merle was always a staple in the lives of our family living in the country, in the south. I rebelled against them all, using pop and rock as my "old fogey" arsenal. All my parents' music eventually found itself released from the vault deeply rooted within me, and finally gained the respect it deserved.

There will never be another like Merle Haggard. He fought the good fight...along with the bad, and performed live until it was just impossible. 

Sad day.

Edit: Yes, Merle said/wrote some pretty harsh words at times. That was one reason I couldn't take him seriously early on. His golden voice and heart-tugging songs took precedence over that other stuff I found offensive.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 2

Yeah, he had been sick for some time, and had caused some concern when he started cancelling his shows recently, then unexpectedly holding shows on other nights. But he wanted to keep going. 

Still, it sucks. :( 

The evolution of me finding out this news:  

Why is Merle Haggard trending?   He better not be dead.

Let me check.

Oh fuck, he is dead.   

Not another one.

RIP Merle.    

Well originally, he might have been trending because it was his birthday today, but of course it quickly became something else, sadly.

Well, this sucks. I met Merle (briefly) a number of years ago when our station produced a short DVD series for him at his home. He definitely had some rough edges, but I liked the music.

• Love 2

We went almost a week without a celebrity death, didn't we?

RIP, David. 

Yikes.  Sorry to hear that, although I still remember that weird wedding.

As do I. I still remember that GMA aired their wedding live on television for some strange reason. 

This picture was everything:

lizadavidgestwedding-500x379.jpg

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

Want to know something REALLY weird?  David was a houseguest on the most recent celebrity edition of Big Brother UK earlier this year.  David Bowie's ex-wife Angie was also a member of the cast, and when the news broke that David Bowie had died, she told one of the other houseguests (Tiffany, aka New York) only that "David's dead," and Tiffany had an epic meltdown because she thought that Angie was talking about David Gest, who at the time was suffering from health issues that eventually did force him to drop out of the show.  You really can't make up ironic stuff like this!

• Love 3

I was curious to hear the outcome, but it's been almost 3 weeks and still no official cause of death for Garry Shandling.

“A death certificate will be issued by us and when we get all results back, we will put a final cause,” the rep for the coroner’s office said. “We have talked to a couple doctors and it is an ongoing investigation. None of the doctors have seen him in the last 12 months.”

Another report says the coroner is awaiting toxicology results.

I couldn't find any info about a funeral date, either, only that his will specified a Buddhist service.

• Love 2

Me, too. I'm very sorry to learn of Gareth's death. He did much better work after B7 but he will always be Blake. I actually preferred Blake to Avon which was practically heresy.

So sorry to hear about Doris Roberts, she's been a favorite of mine for a LONG time. I see from imdb that she's been working steadily since the early 50s, but the first role of hers I vividly recall is the wonderfully-named Mary Hartman Mary Hartman character Dorelda Doremus. I think my favorite role of hers was in the 2001 film All Over The Guy, however - she played the receptionist at a free clinic where Dan Bucatinsky's character Eli was waiting for his HIV test results. To distract Eli, she told him a very touching story about why she still gives her long-time husband a hard time even though he'd been diagnosed with cancer. It's a very memorable scene about the reality of love in the long term.

R.I.P. Ms. Roberts

• Love 4

Loved Doris Roberts as Flo Flotsky on Soap.  In a show full of crazies, she managed to stand out.  She was also Marge in Edith's Night Out on All in the Family.  Always made an impression, even as a one-off guest-star.  And she deserved every one of the 5 Emmy Awards she won.  Just a fabulous actress, and it sounds like she was a joy to work with.

• Love 7

Victoria Wood passes away

This year honestly needs to just fuck right off.

One of the funniest women around, and has been for the last thirty years or so. She was more of an influence on me than the likes of David Bowie, because she was always on our TV when I was growing up. My mum loves her. So much intelligence and wit and humour, a genuine comedy genius.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

Late, but for me, Doris Roberts will always be Mildred Krebs on Remington Steele.

Though I haven't watched everything she was in, I do remember she played Donna Pescow's mother in that very short-lived sitcom Donna had; and then of course, her wonderful run as Mildred. I loved her on Everybody Loves Raymond.  I'm not sure, but I think her last performance was on Law & Order: Criminal Intent, post Everybody Loves Raymond. And the commercials that she and Peter did, as the Barones, for cake? Something.

*sniff*

• Love 2

Victoria Wood passes away

This year honestly needs to just fuck right off.

One of the funniest women around, and has been for the last thirty years or so. She was more of an influence on me than the likes of David Bowie, because she was always on our TV when I was growing up. My mum loves her. So much intelligence and wit and humour, a genuine comedy genius.

I bought a multi-system dvd player just to be able to watch dinnerladies.  The "Minnellium" episode is gold.  She will definitely be missed.

Chyna was so cool when she first showed up, then they tried to femme her up, and it was all downhill from there. 45 is so young, although less so for a professional wrestler than the general population.

That's way too young.

No kidding.  I know she's had addiction troubles in her past, and I sincerely hope that didn't contribute in any way to her passing.  

In one of those "weird tidbits", this does now make her the 6th person to pass away who was on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.   

• Love 1

No kidding.  I know she's had addiction troubles in her past, and I sincerely hope that didn't contribute in any way to her passing.  

In one of those "weird tidbits", this does now make her the 6th person to pass away who was on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.   

So... should we start to be looking with concern at Stephen Baldwin?