Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Look, God, the way things are going down here on Earth we need some good music -- so stop killing off the musicians.

A really nicely written piece: nytimes.com/2016/02/05/opinion/reading-rock-star-obituaries.html

...And notice both of the two most recent entries are cancer. What the hell is going on here?

My working theory as someone who recently got what amounts to at least a prognosis of a very short life expectancy after going for annual physicals each year and saying each year I felt worse than the year before: The current crop of doctors is composed of a high percentage of those who weren't good enough at math to go into computer science during the dot com boom. Why would this matter? Because math is based on logic, and logic is needed to diagnose.

I may be a crackpot, but at this point I feel entitled to espouse my opinions.

ETA: And in the 70s I did play music, so not OT here, right?

Edited by shapeshifter

I'm shocked! And he was a celebrity in his own right. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dead.

It's a developing story.

ETA:

Latest, his death was due to Natural Causes.

Whoa! I was wondering what they meant, in the forum for The West Wing, when they mentioned a seat had opened up on SCOTUS. It hadn't hit my Twitter feed before I got caught up there & came here, either. He wasn't all that old either, was he? At least in comparison to some of his fellow Justices.

Whoa! I was wondering what they meant, in the forum for The West Wing, when they mentioned a seat had opened up on SCOTUS. It hadn't hit my Twitter feed before I got caught up there & came here, either. He wasn't all that old either, was he? At least in comparison to some of his fellow Justices.

He was younger than Ginsberg. He was 79.  I think Rehnquist was older when he passed away. But I can't remember if Rehnquist was still a sitting Justice.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

He was younger than Ginsberg. He was 79. I think Renquist was older when he passed away. But I can't remember if Renquist was still a sitting Justice.

Justice Rehnquist died in office/sitting on the Court, 4 weeks before his 81st birthday, on September 3, 2005, according to Google.

I didn't realize Scalia was 79--or that he'd already sat on SCOTUS for over 29/almost 30 years. I guess he looked younger, to me, on TV/in photos.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Rehnquist passed away in 2005, and Justice Roberts was his successor. He was 81 when he passed away, but he was also suffering from ill health. Cancer, I think.

Sotomayor and Kagan are more recent appointments and under Obama's administration.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Rehnquist passed away in 2005, and Justice Roberts was his successor. He was 81 when he passed away, but he was also suffering from ill health. Cancer, I think.

Sotomayor and Kagan are more recent appointments and under Obama's administration.

I just fixed my previous reply because I misread something in yours which I was attempting to reply to. Apologies.

And you are right on everything you said here.

By the way, the current SCOTUS Justices, other than Scalia, are: Roberts (Chief Justice), Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kagan, Thomas, Kennedy, Breyer, & Alito. Not listed in the order in which they were appointed, though Chief Justice Roberts is listed first.

Ninety eight!  I’m sorry for his loved ones, who are hurting regardless, but two months into this the year of abbreviated celebrity lifespans, this is an obituary I’m almost happy to read.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I'm a 90's kid who watched Punky Brewster in reruns (and later got the DVDs!), and he was also great in the movie Tootsie. I really thought he would make it to 100. RIP. 

Is it awful that I saw that George Gaynes died and my first thought was that he'd been dead for years? 

Not really - I had the same reaction when Mitch Miller (who my folks watched regularly when I was just a little Moose) died at the age of 99.  Sort of "wow, who knew he was still around?"

Edited by Moose135

Is it awful that I saw that George Gaynes died and my first thought was that he'd been dead for years?

I think the obit I linked to (or another I read, but didn't link to) said he hadn't acted since 2003. If so, maybe his lack of public visibility gave the perception that he'd already passed.

I'll always consider "To Kill a Mockingbird" to be one of the best classic novels of all time and nothing can erase that legacy(not even that debatably timed 'prequel' released last year). In any case, not only is she no longer afflicted by deafness and blindness but she can no longer be exploited by those who sought to use her aging decline to profit from. On a somewhat trivial note, she used her middle name of Harper for the pen name because she had never liked her actual first name of Nelle and didn't want to chance folks mispronouncing it as 'Nellie'. RIP and enjoy the reunion with your real loved ones, Miss Lee.

• Love 4

Wow, Harper Lee.  I'm not shocked, but still...at least 89 is a good age to go.

To Kill A Mockingbird was a classic.  Go Set A Watchmen wasn't as good, but taken as it was, as an early first draft and not a sequel, it had some merits.

Harper Lee was 89, Eco 84.  Old people die.  (And having known quite a few old people in recent years, I've come to the conclusion that the human body is simply not designed to last much past 80, in most cases.  Every year of relative good health after that age is a gift!)

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 6

IMO, there is no "right" way to feel abt an older person's death. Harper & Umberto lived long, fulfilling lives.

Their families & friends will miss them, their talents will be missed, but death is inevitable for all of us (except Keith Richards & Betty White).

It sucks, but it happens.

• Love 2