Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Cornelia Vertenstein, 93 year old piano teacher and Holocaust survivor who was profiled in the New York Times last May, died on February 12th. The cause was not Covid.

On that note, I kept forgetting to post that Flory Jagoda died earlier this month. She was lauded for preserving and promoting the Ladino music of Sephardic Judaism. Her best known song is Ocho Kandalikas, 'eight candles' which is of course a Hannukkah song. She escaped the Holocaust by train under an assumed name and her playing caused the conductor to forget to ask for her ticket. She was named a National Heritage Fellow by the National Endowment for the Arts in 2002.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

Briggs, who played Mike Baldwin in the ITV soap for 30 years and who also appeared in several Carry On films, was 85. In a statement issued on Sunday, his family said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our father, Johnny Briggs.

He was on when I was an avid Coronation Street watcher.  The rivalry between him and Ken just made the show for awhile back then.  I haven't seen it in years it just went too far with the killer on the street  themes. I hope they do some sort of tribute for him - I imagine they will.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 2

Louis Nix who  played for Notre Dame on the last team to play for the College Football Championship has died. His mother reported him missing. The cause of death hasn't been released. He was popular with teammates and fans from what I read on Twitter.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:02 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

On that note, I kept forgetting to post that Flory Jagoda died earlier this month. She was lauded for preserving and promoting the Ladino music of Sephardic Judaism. Her best known song is Ocho Kandalikas, 'eight candles' which is of course a Hannukkah song. She escaped the Holocaust by train under an assumed name and her playing caused the conductor to forget to ask for her ticket. She was named a National Heritage Fellow by the National Endowment for the Arts in 2002.

Vermicious Knid, since you posted about Flory Jagoda's death, you might be interested in a free public Zoom event on Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 12:10 p.m. EDT:

Exploring Sephardic Music’s Traditions of Peace and Coexistence

Featuring Merima Ključo, accordion, and Jelena Milušić, voice, with guest artist Mirna Lekić, piano

The musical project, La Convivencia, is inspired by the powerful message of coexistence. It is based on Sephardic traditions of different countries visited by Sephardic Jews, traveling through history after the expulsion from Spain. La Convivencia contains three parts:

- A cycle of five songs based on traditional Sephardic melodies and lyrics.

- A cycle of five songs dedicated to Flory Jagoda, the Bosnian expert in the field of Sephardic music.

- Movements from Ključo’s acclaimed composition, "The Sarajevo Haggadah: Music of the Book," with guest pianist Mirna Lekić. 

The registration link did not transfer in my cut-and-paste efforts, but you should be able to find more information by going to the college's home page: https://www.qcc.cuny.edu/

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I remember seeing Irv Cross broadcasting NFL games.  

R.I.P., Sir.

He was one of the first sportscasters I ever started to know of in my childhood (the first time was when I saw him on The NFL Today at around the age of 5 or 6).

• Love 3
On 2/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, Hiyo said:

Ronald Pickup dies aged 80.

The actor found global fame with The Crown and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, following a prolific and acclaimed career in the theatre and on television.

I just read about Ronald Pickup on another site.  Many years ago I remember seeing a very fine version of Long Day's Journey into Night -  it must have been shown on PBS - starring Olivier and featuring a young Ronald PIckup as Edmund.  I've been a fan these many years since, though I didn't realize how many other films he'd made.  I did happen to watch him in Doc Martin when I binged that show last year.  It was great to see him again.  Sigh.  Rest in peace.

• Love 6
(edited)

Geoffrey Scott, Dynasty and Dark Shadows actor, dies at 79.

On Monday, his wife Cheri Scott confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that Scott died of Parkinson's disease on Feb. 23, the day after his birthday. His other roles include General Hospital, Where the Heart Is, and Guiding Light.

Scott also appeared in almost 100 commercials. He played the Marlboro Man and an Old Spice sailor, as well as a cigarette aficionado who "walked a mile for a Camel" at the Taj Mahal. In addition, Scott and Margaret Hamilton starred in a series of spots for Maxwell House coffee.

Edited by Hiyo
(edited)
23 hours ago, Blergh said:

According to his family, Civil Rights activist, Vernon Jordan died Monday, March 1,2021 at age 85.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vernon-jordan-civil-rights-icon-former-clinton-adviser-dies-85-n1259265

He almost could’ve died in my hometown in 1980, when he was the head of the National Urban League.He was invited to speak at our National Urban League chapter’s annual dinner, & was staying at the same local hotel where the dinner was held (then belonging to 1 chain, now belonging to another). To get from the room where the dinner was held to where Mr. Jordan’s room was, unfortunately you had to walk outside. He was walking back to his room, accompanied by a woman, who might’ve been involved with the local Urban League chapter (details on who she was, other than her name, have become sketchy over the four decades since), & who happened to be Caucasian. On the walk to his room, Jordan was shot by a man named Joseph Paul Franklin, Jr.

He was taken to a local hospital, which had just begun using Trauma Center type protocols on appropriate patients. The local general surgeon called on to oversee Jordan’s care because he was a VIP—who happened, presumably not so coincidentally, to be African-American remained good friends with Jordan after he was discharged from ten days in our local hospital & transferred to a hospital closer to home for additional care, spending 98 days in various hospitals from the incident (sadly, the surgeon died in 2004). Jordan’s local surgeon happened, along with his family, to be a good friend of my late dad’s & our family’s, & they might’ve still been our neighbors at the time (they eventually moved elsewhere locally). My dad, who was also a local surgeon, wasn’t on Jordan’s local medical team because he had no injuries from the assassination attempt (I’m calling it like it is here) that my dad specialized in treating.

As for the shooter, Joseph Paul Franklin, Jr., he was found not guilty by jurors in a 2006 Federal trial. He eventually confessed to the Jordan shooting & at least 1 other crime: the 1978 shooting of Hustler publisher, the also recently deceased Larry Flynt, who was left paralyzed from the waist down. Franklin said he shot Flynt because he included depictions of interracial sex in his magazine. Franklin was finally executed by lethal injection in 2013 in Missouri.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment and reword other comments.
  • Useful 9
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

On the walk to his room, Jordan was shot by a man named Joseph Paul Franklin, Jr.

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

As for the shooter, Joseph Paul Franklin, Jr., he was found not guilty by jurors in a 2006 Federal trial. He eventually confessed to the Jordan shooting & at least 1 other crime: the 1978 shooting of Hustler publisher, the also recently deceased Larry Flynt, who was left paralyzed from the waist down. Franklin said he shot Flynt because he included depictions of interracial sex in his magazine. Franklin was finally executed by lethal injection in 2013 in Missouri.

Oh my, what the march of time makes you forget!  Thanks for the posting this BW.  I remember this now.  R.I.P. Mr. Jordan.  

• Love 6

free public Zoom event on Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 12:10 p.m. EDT:

Exploring Sephardic Music’s Traditions of Peace and Coexistence

Thanks for the heads up. I will try to remember but more likely to check later if it was recorded.

Speaking of mystery writers, I kept expecting someone else to post this so it's from a few weeks ago. Historical author Sharon Kay Penman died January 22. She wrote best sellers mostly about Medieval England and Wales and was something of a Richard III apologist. A few of her novels were mysteries and she was a finalist for an Edgar. Haven't read them but I distinctly remember those titles.

(edited)

Michael Stanley, Cleveland legend, leader of The Michael Stanley Band and DJ, dead of lung cancer at 72.

MSB was well known in the Midwest, playing rock’n roll in the same vein as Springsteen and Seeger. The band had a moderate hit in the 80’s with ‘He Can’t Love You’ and wrote a song about Cleveland, (This is) My Town which was dubbed with the names of various cities and often played at sporting events.

Stanley wrote a lot of beautiful, heartfelt music and was well known as an all around terrific guy. I saw him live multiple times over the years and he loved to perform and audiences loved him.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2021/03/michael-stanley-cleveland-rock-legend-and-noted-local-radio-and-tv-personality-dead-at-72.html

Edited by doodlebug
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Michael Stanley, Cleveland legend, leader of The Michael Stanley Band and DJ, dead of lung cancer at 72.

MSB was well known in the Midwest, playing rock’n roll in the same vein as Springsteen and Seeger. The band had a moderate hit in the 80’s with ‘He Can’t Love You’ and wrote a song about Cleveland, (This is) My Town which was dubbed with the names of various cities and often played at sporting events.

Stanley wrote a lot of beautiful, heartfelt music and was well known as an all around terrific guy. I saw him live multiple times over the years and he loved to perform and audiences loved him.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2021/03/michael-stanley-cleveland-rock-legend-and-noted-local-radio-and-tv-personality-dead-at-72.html

He was a Cleveland Rock GOD to those of us who grew up in the 70s and 80s.  Even living in Raleigh, I would  time in to his radio show several times a week.  My last day of work was 2/24, so I didn’t realize he was off the air - much less sick.

RIP and Thank God for the Man Who Put the White Lines on the Highway

• Love 3
(edited)
39 minutes ago, roamyn said:

He was a Cleveland Rock GOD to those of us who grew up in the 70s and 80s.  Even living in Raleigh, I would  time in to his radio show several times a week.  My last day of work was 2/24, so I didn’t realize he was off the air - much less sick.

RIP and Thank God for the Man Who Put the White Lines on the Highway

For those who want to hear those amazing lyrics and more, here’s The Michael Stanley band performing Lover.  He was a really incredible lyricist.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SUPZoORVdJQ

Stanley’s family announced last week that he was seriously ill and asked for prayers and good thoughts and privacy.  The station where he worked, WNCX released it last week. The DJ who read it was near tears.

On a strange note, Stanley was once Vegas icon Wayne Newton’s bro in law.   They were married to twin sisters. Stanley’s marriage didn’t last.

WNCX posted his last message to his fans. Reading it, it’s impossible not to hear his voice.

https://mobile.twitter.com/985WNCX/status/1368268404558290948?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2
On 3/3/2021 at 10:26 PM, dalek said:

Mystery writer Margaret Maron has died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/books/margaret-maron-dead.html

for whatever reason, I never really got into the Deborah Knott books, but I was a fan of the Sigrid Harald series.

I enjoyed her books, both series, but also was a greater fan of the Sigrid Harald series.  She hadn't published for a few years, and I wondered if she was ill or had retired from writing.  It's sad for me when an author who has given me so much enjoyment passes away.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Actress Nicola Pagett who played Elizabeth Bellamy in the original Upstairs, Downstairs has died, age 75. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56291059

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/mar/04/nicola-pagett-obituary

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nicola-pagett-actress-in-upstairs-downstairs-dies-at-75

I was a huge fan of the OG U/D.  Sad to see another cast member has left us.  R.I.P. Ms. Pagett.

Edited by MissAlmond

In the annals of 'people who become famous for tragic reasons', space shuttle engineer and literal rocket scientist Allan McDonald has died. He refused to sign off on the Challenger launch but was overruled by his company's executives under pressure from NASA. He spoke out, from the gallery, during the later hearings and refused to let them get away with covering up what actually happened.

"I was sitting there thinking that's about as deceiving as anything I ever heard," McDonald recalled. "So ... I said I think this presidential commission should know that Morton Thiokol was so concerned, we recommended not launching below 53 degrees Fahrenheit. And we put that in writing and sent that to NASA."

Former Secretary of State William Rogers chaired the commission and stared into the auditorium, squinting in the direction of the voice.

"I'll never forget chairman Rogers said, 'Would you please come down here on the floor and repeat what I think I heard,' " McDonald said.

He was demoted for speaking up and Congress had to get involved to force them to reinstate his position. He continued to work for Morton Thiokol until his retirement in 2001 and afterwards devoted himself to advocating about ethics.

• Useful 6
  • Love 11
23 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actress Nicola Pagett who played Elizabeth Bellamy in the original Upstairs, Downstairs has died, age 75. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56291059

From the BBC article linked above:

Pagett's role as Bellamy in the first two series of ITV's 1971 drama Upstairs, Downstairs helped the show win four Emmys.

Her character's storyline, dominated by a tumultuous love life while stuck in a loveless marriage, included conceiving a child through an affair with a publisher, before leaving for New York.

It was Pagett's idea to exit the series because she said she "didn't want to be known for one thing only."

I remember watching U/D as a high school student in the early 1970s and being deliciously scandalized by Elizabeth's storylines!  I was sad to see Pagett leave the series, as Elizabeth was a more interesting character than her brother, James (though Simon Williams was dishy in the role).  But I understand Pagett's wish to move on to other things.  

I remember reading eons ago that she suffered from manic depression (bipolar syndome), like her talented and tempestuous predecessor, Vivien Leigh.  I'm glad that Pagett didn't appear to suffer long after her brain tumor diagnosis.  She was a unique talent.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

No, no, no, n-no, no, no, no, no, no, n-no, NO!

23 minutes ago, ABay said:

Yes.

I don't know whether to click on the "laughing face" or "crying face" in response to these posts.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I remember seeing him on CBS, and later, NBC.  I watched his interview with Edward Kennedy when he asked Kennedy why he wanted to be President, and he basically whiffed the answer and the interview.   

RTP, Mr. Mudd

Had anyone asked, I would have insisted that he's been dead for 20+ years.

23 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

A true journalist.  R.I.P. Mr. Mudd

BTW, he was a native of D.C. - and a relative of Dr. Samuel Mudd, the medic who tended to John Wilkes Booth's injured leg after the latter leaped onto the stage of Ford's Theatre   having assassinated President Lincoln. IMO, he'd have been a far better candidate to succeed the retiring Walter Cronkite than Dan Rather would prove to be! RIP, Mr. Mudd. 

• Useful 7
9 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Actor Cliff Simon, who appeared in a bunch of 'Stargate: SG1' episodes (and lots of other shows as well) has died.  He was Ba'al, the villain that I loved to hate.

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2021/03/stargate-actor-cliff-simon-passed-away-age-58/?fbclid=IwAR05YDIUDTXBhy-xqngA6L_CFFIr6rSzfnoNJbzvBmpa-FSdnZmSJgoccB0

Just 58! Also from the article above

Cliff Simon was set to appear with host David Read on “Dial the Gate,” GateWorld’s live interview show this weekend, on March 14. Instead we hope fans will join us on Sunday for a special conversation remembering his work on Stargate and celebrating his life.

And quoting his wife

“A small saving grace to this tragedy is that he was doing one of the things he loved most and passed away on the beach near the water, which was his temple.”

Wikipedia identifies him primarily as an athlete.

1 minute ago, bobalina said:

According to his family he had shortness of breath and chest pains. Not definitive but a pretty good clue,

Thanks for the info. If that’s true, I don’t know why ESPN didn’t use it, unless it was in a later statement released after they published what I linked, or something.